• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Government Special Notice - Deadline For Converting Old Driving License To New Driving License

Podi Lamaya

It only says that those in the respective categories will be given priority. it doesn't say anything about the existing DLs (cards) being cancelled (if one does not choose to get the new CD card any time soon)...

Yes. This dealine is applicable only if you want to get your old driving license converted to new license on priority basis (you will recieve the new license in less time than the standard process).

Anyway I do have one question.

Will they cancel our old driving licenses in near future?

Edited by Podi Lamaya

If they are forcing to convert out old DLs into new ones, then the expiration of the DL should be taken off. Since we don't have such a hassle at the moment, if the government forced us to do so, it will be very unfair. But the problem is, we will have to, if they implemented it anyway.. :(

If they are forcing to convert out old DLs into new ones, then the expiration of the DL should be taken off. Since we don't have such a hassle at the moment, if the government forced us to do so, it will be very unfair. But the problem is, we will have to, if they implemented it anyway.. :(

Not necessarily. They tried to do this sometime back in 1985 or so, but there was supreme court ruling (http://www.lawnet.lk/docs/case_law/slr/HTML/1990SLR2V14.htm) against the move. My DL is valid for motor coaches and motor cycles and is valid for the rest of my life without the hassle of a renewal which IMHO is absurd but that's how it is!

Edit: I'm sorry. There is of course a way to do it when the police find you with a old DL. They will serve you a glass of local stuff by the road side, then ask you to blow the balloon, charge you for drunken driving, get your DL cancelled with the possibility of reapplying for a new one under new rules. If you think me talking nonsense remember there is a country where they take arrested suspects in search of hidden weapons so often. :sad-smiley-058:

Edited by Rumesh88

so u tend to mean this tends to be yet another source of income? :)

What are you talking about bro?

Podi Lamaya asked "Will___________?" to which the answer should be a YES or NO.

You're replying to a questions "Why__________?" to which is answered by a essay type answer.

:P

Not necessarily. They tried to do this sometime back in 1985 or so, but there was supreme court ruling (http://www.lawnet.lk/docs/case_law/slr/HTML/1990SLR2V14.htm) against the move. My DL is valid for motor coaches and motor cycles and is valid for the rest of my life without the hassle of a renewal which IMHO is absurd but that's how it is!

Edit: I'm sorry. There is of course a way to do it when the police find you with a old DL. They will serve you a glass of local stuff by the road side, then ask you to blow the balloon, charge you for drunken driving, get your DL cancelled with the possibility of reapplying for a new one under new rules. If you think me talking nonsense remember there is a country where they take arrested suspects in search of hidden weapons so often. :sad-smiley-058:

Glad, atleast there is that kinda ruling.. Thanks for the info Rumesh. And yes, your second point also practical indeed in Sri Lanka.. :sport-smiley-004:

What are you talking about bro?

Podi Lamaya asked "Will___________?" to which the answer should be a YES or NO.

You're replying to a questions "Why__________?" to which is answered by a essay type answer.

:P

oops my bad. did a test even to make sure if someone edit a post, whether it affects to quaoted test. bcoz i still cannot believe that i made that mistake haha

:speechless-smiley-004:

If anyone has done this, can you please share how long it took for this process? (How long you spent for at werahera on that day)

Took the whole day for me. Only documents you need is your old driving license and the NIC. If your driving license is faded like mine was you gotta go to some guy in the RMV (ask the guy registering ppl for the medical exam) and they issue a certified document. You take that to the medical examination center inside (there was quite a large queue here better to go first thing in the morning) with that they do a bunch of tests like blood type/sugar and physical fitness (while the dodgy doctor keeps flirting with the nurse there) and issue a certificate which u take to the one day service counter and apply for da new license. They start issuing the thing around 3pm at a building near the entrance of werahara.

So for the heck of it I went in the morning today to convert my license to the new one. LKR 750 for the Medical check. Would you beleive it, yours truly failed the medical check.. :) All those beers and BBQs are catching up on me... the good pretty government doctor told me to come again after reducing my pressure... :) I wont mind, was a bit of a hottie and I am wondering whose pressure went uip and when i raised my shirt to show her my rock hard abs... ;)

(she asks you to raise your shirt and show her your abs, left your pants up and show her your knees and all kinds of other wiered shite... :))

As for my High BP, getting a second opinion as I am seriosly suspiicious of the way they checked for BP.

If you guys go, get there by 7am, wait in line, the security officer will ask you to come for the medical inside after 7am and forma queue, DO NOT WEAR shoes, just flip flops would do as they will ask you to remove them when you enter and its a hassle to keep them outside, wear a T shirt and a loose pair of pants as they ask you to show your knee flexibility.

Do not take anything other than your wallet, ID and old license. No phones allowed insed as well. They ask you to switch them off if you do have.

Also if you suspect of having BP or such, make sur eyou take your meds and go, they check for your Blood sugar so make sure you have a good breakfast and go.

I know.. Sri Lanka... :)

Also, be preapred to sit there and wait tiil 12noon or after to get your license.

And mind you, most if not all staff are rude bastards. The only time in their pathetic lives they get to show some authority to people and they treat you like shite. Imagine, being shouted at while your pants are raised knee high, shirt raised chest high and you are barefoot... :)

A guy from the East was in line next to me and they kept referring to him by his race, and not by his name. No wonder we had issues with the Eastern Boys at one point in this country's history. Totally legit IMHO.

Avoid the canteen. food is crap... tender given to the lowest bidder with expected results and quailty.

Loo usage costs LKR10... to pee :)

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 8

(she asks you to raise your shirt and show her your abs, left your pants up and show her your knees and all kinds of other wiered shite... :))

Thank you VVTi for the colorful details but please keep your BP in check. Does anyone know what is expected in abdominal inspection (I do not think they ask you to show the lower part)in this exam????. BTW this reminds me of a medical exam (it was for a visa purpose either to Japan or to ME when I was in my early 20s) in which I was asked to lay down with my pants down and the lady doctor holding my scrotum asked me to cough! :sport-smiley-004:

• Like 1

Well, I just went and checked by BP with my GP.... and guess what.... I am no where high as she mentioned. It is high, but nothing compared to what she said it was. The number she has given would have effectively made me a walking -talking Stroke machine... :)

So now I have to pay The Man another 750LKR and go next week... sigh.

Rumesh, I have no idea why they did the abdominal and mid riff check. But her assistant looked rather prepared to pull our pants down and give us her version of scrotum check... :)

BTW, now I rememebred, she was getting a call from her hubby about the down payment for their fracking permit car... hence she may have been distracted. She was very very hush hush while checking my BP... stupid permit cars!!!!

• Like 1

Well, I just went and checked by BP with my GP.... and guess what.... I am no where high as she mentioned. It is high, but nothing compared to what she said it was. The number she has given would have effectively made me a walking -talking Stroke machine... :)

So now I have to pay The Man another 750LKR and go next week... sigh.

Rumesh, I have no idea why they did the abdominal and mid riff check. But her assistant looked rather prepared to pull our pants down and give us her version of scrotum check... :)

BTW, now I rememebred, she was getting a call from her hubby about the down payment for their fracking permit car... hence she may have been distracted. She was very very hush hush while checking my BP... stupid permit cars!!!!

Oh.. . Did they tried to perform that much. What was the BP then and now?

This is why AutoLanka gives you access to an eminent doctor in govt service. Time to call in Komi.

170/110 when the call about the 100% LC came.....

140/100 once my GP checked... put me on a 10mg NICARDIA 10 course.

Oh so you had BP to level of grade II to III.

Worrying thing is your diastolic BP is high. So this is first time isn't it?

Then it is better to check BP in morning with cool mind. ( you might have had so called white coat hypertension)

anyway Nicardia will reduce blood vessels tension and bring down BP.

So many things need to be considered (age, BMI, risk factors. .. etc) before choosing correct drug.

If you on that calcium channel blocker be careful before getting up in morning until your body adapt. (you might get faint as it cause postural hypotension.

Edited by Charith H Jayasinghe

Charith, I have no intention of depending on drugs to fight this. Gonna walk it out of the system... :) Last few times I was told I was running a small increase, but this is the highest t has been if it was the correct reading. Coz the lady doctor was too engrossed in her call with her hubby I think who called to tell her that the Permit imported cars are requiring a 100% deposit and she was giving him instructions while attending to me,... So I am think Misdiagnosis due to Permit car... :)

• Like 1