• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Range Rover Vogue. 2005 - 2008

VCBI

Question

Hi. So i'm here hoping I can get any information on the Range Rover Vogue. This Vehicle is rare in Sri Lanka, but I have seen a few advertisements on this website. So starting with Price, Running costs, Maintenance, Repairs etc.

Would appreciate if you can share your valuable knowledge and experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Gummy, what's the maintenance schedule for a Vogue? fluid/filter change frequency?

Also what are your thoughts on using a Battery tender/charger when the car is not in use to keep the battery at optimal level. Heard battery drain is a common problem on cars with tons of electronic gizmos.

When it comes to cars there no problem money cant solve man.. You say you wont be running it much.. so when something's wrong just send it to the agent and they'll fix it up for you.. and I'm sure they'll even come pick it up and drop it off for you if THAT is your problem.. and if running cost or service cost or resale value isnt a problem, why are you still here asking allion-mentality questions? just go buy the dam thing..

I started following this thread thinking it would be an interesting read.. but this thread is starting to suck balls now!

Dili, you have completely missed the point on this. Think of the inconvenience of an unreliable car. I don't read up about cars as much as you boys do but read ANY review about the Vouge and the biggest negative is its unreliability. Imagine one fine day you start up the car to take it for a spin and the dam thing spits out an error or a warning. There goes your lovely evening. Worst off what if it happens in the middle of a road trip? More than the cost of the repair its the inconvenience that the issue here.

You are a smart guy i'm sure i don't have to refresh your memory on the total cost of ownership vs the initial cost of the car. Didn't you recently buy a very expensive road bicycle, i'm sure you didn't walk in to a store and said give me a black one with red stripes.

• Like 2

Way overpriced. 2005 Supercharged sport changed hands for 13mil

That red one is pretty basic as well worth nothing more than 12.5 I would say.

13 Mil for 2005 sport? That is unbelievable.. I saw a few at Southland Motors.

@Jaguar Someone I know has the 2013 Vogue. And it sure does feel like driving a 7 Star Hotel room through the streets of colombo. ;)

Edited by VCBI

Gummy, what's the maintenance schedule for a Vogue? fluid/filter change frequency?

Also what are your thoughts on using a Battery tender/charger when the car is not in use to keep the battery at optimal level. Heard battery drain is a common problem on cars with tons of electronic gizmos.

The books says to refer to the onboard computer on the vehicle unlike the Disco's and Freelanders and Evoques and Sports which have a service interval of 10,000kms or 6 months.

Not really sure about the tender/charger thing. They tell you to even keep the key far away as possible if your not using it as it communicates with the vehicle all the time.

Way overpriced. 2005 Supercharged sport changed hands for 13mil

That red one is pretty basic as well worth nothing more than 12.5 I would say.

The black limited edition you mean, well the guy who bought it had apparently got an offer for 16mil last year, but he still has it I think. The red one is newer and if I'm correct it is a low mileage vehicle which used to be owned by a certain welknown business person who didnt use it much.

The black one is a high mileage car, the first owner used it a lot.

The new one is quite expensive if you ad in the options one by one like some do.

I dont think there are any 2013 Sports around yet, it was coming to the market in August / September if memory serves right.

Also it has made the toyota lovers think about beamers.

I'm not so sure whether this is a good thing. Most of these Toyota lovers doesn't have the discipline to maintain the car properly and this results in a lot of cars being end up in a sad state. As a lover of motoring and the BMW brand its kind of saddening for me...

You are a smart guy i'm sure i don't have to refresh your memory on the total cost of ownership vs the initial cost of the car. Didn't you recently buy a very expensive road bicycle, i'm sure you didn't walk in to a store and said give me a black one with red stripes.

Who? Watchman? You mean smart-arse right? :D

• Like 1

It would be very helpful if your'll can PM me the contact number of anyone who is willing to sell his/her Vogue or Sport around the 14 million mark.

There's an 04 Vogue for sale for sure at frontier for that price. It's got the 09 facelift kit on it so it doesn't look like the 1st gen L322. It's been painted Balie blue and looks absolutely stunning with 20inch Khan wheels as well. It was available about 3 weeks ago and dont think it would have changed hands as yet.

@Kavvz; I think he's referring to Jeremy's bike thing from last season of tg.

@rae; the bali blue is a high mileage vehicle with over 100,000kms. There's a green unmolested one there as well. Only thing interior also has a shade of green in it.

Dili, you have completely missed the point on this. Think of the inconvenience of an unreliable car. I don't read up about cars as much as you boys do but read ANY review about the Vouge and the biggest negative is its unreliability. Imagine one fine day you start up the car to take it for a spin and the dam thing spits out an error or a warning. There goes your lovely evening. Worst off what if it happens in the middle of a road trip? More than the cost of the repair its the inconvenience that the issue here.

If you're on a trip and your RR breaks down, and it needs to be brought/towed back to the agent. If the part is in stock you'll get your RR in a couple of days, if not weeks. So it doesnt matter if parts are easy to find or if maintenance is expensive. You're trip is ruined either way.

Edited by Watchman

@Poscher I just saw your post. i'd like to know how you managed to spend 2 - 3 million ? Are we talking about the suspension and a few electronics?

I got a amazing price for a Pre-Facelift one that was in a really bad state, due to the low price I though I will use it as an project car. I was very unfortunate as the RR was used often by the owners to go to all the national parks in Sri Lanka, and condition of everything was not good. Even still I did a full facelift to a 2012 version which cost me more than a mil, did the suspension, gearbox, new ECU, every single trim part inside (the leather peels off easily and the plastics break specially on the seat edges), new paint job, and lots of little little things. But still it was not perfect so I gave it away to a very passionate owner who has spent millions more since then.

Its a joy to drive, looks amazing, and does any offloading with ease, but on the downside the agents have no clue how to diagnose a fault, all electricals give faults, the engine overheats often, and to me it newer seemed the vehicle that I can trust on a long journey . Also note that its huge, both longer, wider than the Land Cruiser V8 Sahara!!!

But if I have the money I will most definitely go for a new.

• Like 1

Yep, but you missed my middle name, n-sexy. I dont know you too well, so you can call me by my full name smart-n-sexy-arse! ;)

I rest my case :D !!

So Mr. Smart-n-Sexy Arse, what's all this about a fancy bike? Waddya get? Black with one with red stripes or a red one with black stripes?

Edited by Kavvz

I rest my case :D !!

So Mr. Smart-n-Sexy Arse, what's all this about a fancy bike? Waddya get? Black with one with red stripes or a red one with black stripes?

OT:

Well, I didnt get into that cos it was OT, and hardly a valid comparison. It's a bicycle so its not like I use it for my office (or other important) commutes. It's a white one with black stripes though. But when I bought it I got something I wanted, not something that a potential 2nd hand bike buyer would want in the years to come. Then it's a bicycle, not a lot of maintenance/parts required, but I know parts are expensive for a bike in that range. So it's not like there's any other choice. So if I liked it and could afford it I didnt see a reason to not get it.

If I were to do a comparison, I can use another example. I was in the market to get my next motorcycle. I had 2 options, a Honds XR which are available dime a dozen and are bullet-proof engines, or a Suzuki DRZ, of which there's nothing more than 15 examples in the island. But for my personal reasons I wanted a the DRZ (like VCBI chose the RR as opposed ot a LC200).. I knew it wasnt going to be as trouble free as the honda but I liked it. So I got it. I knew I'd be putting money into this bike over time, and VBCI should expect the same for his RR. It is inevitable Mr. Anderson. So going back to my point if you can afford it, just go for it.

So excuse me for not sugar coating my opinion, I stand by it. Expendable cash sitting in your bank account won't bring you as much joy as experiencing a ride you truly desire. Afterall that IS why you're buying a RR and not a LC200.

OT:

Well, I didnt get into that cos it was OT, and hardly a valid comparison. It's a bicycle so its not like I use it for my office (or other important) commutes. It's a white one with black stripes though. But when I bought it I got something I wanted, not something that a potential 2nd hand bike buyer would want in the years to come. Then it's a bicycle, not a lot of maintenance/parts required, but I know parts are expensive for a bike in that range. So it's not like there's any other choice. So if I liked it and could afford it I didnt see a reason to not get it.

If I were to do a comparison, I can use another example. I was in the market to get my next motorcycle. I had 2 options, a Honds XR which are available dime a dozen and are bullet-proof engines, or a Suzuki DRZ, of which there's nothing more than 15 examples in the island. But for my personal reasons I wanted a the DRZ (like VCBI chose the RR as opposed ot a LC200).. I knew it wasnt going to be as trouble free as the honda but I liked it. So I got it. I knew I'd be putting money into this bike over time, and VBCI should expect the same for his RR. It is inevitable Mr. Anderson. So going back to my point if you can afford it, just go for it.

So excuse me for not sugar coating my opinion, I stand by it. Expendable cash sitting in your bank account won't bring you as much joy as experiencing a ride you truly desire. Afterall that IS why you're buying a RR and not a LC200.

Ah yes OT, but quite interesting and very cool OT stuff. Bikes aren't really my forte so I had to read up some reviews to figure out what you're riding. Sounds dead cool Mr. Smart.

But back to the topic of getting a RR and enquiring after its maintenance costs and common issues so as to check those off during the pre-purchase inspection and test drive: Does this mean I'm less of a person if I enquired what the maintenance cost would be on a second hand car? After all one does have to factor in the annual cost of maintenance when buying a car. You did the same when you bought the DRZ over an XR ( you weighed in favour of the DRZ as you found it affordable, but someone else might take a look at the numbers and the potential pros and cons only to opt for the XR instead...)

For example, lets say I hankered for a RR or a 5 series but after asking you guys what the common issues were and what the average annual maintenance cost may be; I tap out and buy something less expensive and with a lower cost of ownership like say a GS430 or something as it fits my cash-flow better. Would it not be smart to do that rather then buy something I can't really afford? After all what would be the point of buying a RR based on a whim, only to run the risk of having it up on blocks after a couple of months because the air bags failed and I don't have any money left over to repair it?

Edited by Kavvz

@Gummybr Yes I agree with you.. The Evoque to me is a disgrace for the range rover. what they have done is tried to make the "Range Rover" affordable. In my Opinion the vogue is a true Range Rover, not even the Sport. I hear the sport is built on the Discovery Chassis. I'm not too sure but that's what I heard.

Spending Rs.50k even at a service is not a problem, as long as I don't have to rush to Frontier every now and then trying to get something replaced. I'm not planning to do any heavy mileage on it as well. so shouldn't be a problem i guess. Oh well, gotta keep my eye out for a well maintained vogue. One last thing. how big is the Tank? 100liters I'm guessing?

Thanks for the helpful info. :)

Its a matter of choice AND what the SUV will be used for, is it not gents? Personally speaking I'd get the Evoque or the RR Sport as I don't get any off-road action and spend all my time on the highway. Just like the Evoque or the RR Sport make no sense to you based on your driving needs; I think it would be silly if I were to spend all that coin on a SUV optimized for off-road performance when it would never be taken off a paved road. So really its all relative on what one would use the SUV for.

Edited by Kavvz

Well Kavz,

I have no problem with people having concerns of fuel consumption or maintenance costs. As per OP, he doesnt mind the bad fuel consumption, the cost maintaining it nor the bad resale value. And he says he wont be running it much meaning he probably has another vehicle in case the RR is in the shop. So I dont see why he shouldnt go ahead with the RR.

Like I said, there's no problem money cant solve on a car; and VBIC may have 99 problems but money aint one of them. So he should stop worrying about unpredictable things like some fancy electronics going bust spontaneously, and just buy the RR. If it breaks get it fixed and drive on smiling. Simple.

Life is short, drive that car you love. And like they say, if you cant not turn around and take a 2nd look at your car after parking it, you have't bought the right car. I'm blessed to have my bikes which, even after over a year of ownership i still take a 2nd look at and smile before walking away from.

• Like 1

Well Kavz,

I have no problem with people having concerns of fuel consumption or maintenance costs. As per OP, he doesnt mind the bad fuel consumption, the cost maintaining it nor the bad resale value. And he says he wont be running it much meaning he probably has another vehicle in case the RR is in the shop. So I dont see why he shouldnt go ahead with the RR.

Like I said, there's no problem money cant solve on a car; and VBIC may have 99 problems but money aint one of them. So he should stop worrying about unpredictable things like some fancy electronics going bust spontaneously, and just buy the RR. If it breaks get it fixed and drive on smiling. Simple.

Life is short, drive that car you love. And like they say, if you cant not turn around and take a 2nd look at your car after parking it, you have't bought the right car. I'm blessed to have my bikes which, even after over a year of ownership i still take a 2nd look at and smile before walking away from.

Ah! The good life...