• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Security System

sira

Hi guys,

I’m looking a car security system with remote unlock/lock and keyless boot open for my EK3. it got already center lock,and want to install remote unlock/lock and boot remot boot open feture. Checked with few places and most of them are Chinese items. But they may be good. Steel mate..Etc. How are they are they reliable and durable. also Checked on web and there are some good brand available like viper..etc

can i buy viper or other good brand in SL

Please advise me

Hi sira no idea about best brands but once i installed this brand "inwells"..that was from a shop in dehiwala zoo road...pretty good stuff many options working for 3 years+ and was cheap about 6500 for the unit and 1200 for fixing and all...well even i like to know the prices of Pet#o lanka and major shops....

Don't install the siren which beeps for all the vibrations. Once I installed Grodon brand remote key and security system, but it keep barking for all the slightest movements (vehicle passing, thundering etc etc) and finally I had to remove the security system. Some systems comes with vibration adjustments.

ADvice

Go for good quality one with few options. Don't put one with many options. same as original NOKIA phone vs Cheap Chinese phones with lot of features.

Using steelmate unit for more than 4years now. (Not even had to change the battery of the remote key)

You can adjust the sensitivity by turning a screw in the unit inside the car.

Edited by H.C
  • Like 1

Yes I also agree with with H.C steelmate was there for 6yrs until it busted recently. Didn't give trouble until die.

Now I've fixed a brand called Autobest and I regret about it as it gives lot of troubles. (Stays dead sometimes and auto arm in unnecessary occasions) .

Also you can keep sensitivity low in shock sensor as H.C mentioned but I've removed siren.

Edited by Charith H Jayasinghe

You can adjust the sensitivity of the shock sensor. So it will beep only for the large shocks

Steelmate is a reliable brand. Also get the job done through a professional rather than through cheap local guys who do a shoddy job.

The siren is useful for protection from theft. once a thief stole a laptop and some valuable items from my car when it was park at ArP*Co show room Nawinna. Security guys told they heard nothing.

As fee ppl suggest steel mate is a good reliable brand. few of my friends too using and havent heard any issues up to now. i too using a taiwan brand one which took from shop in kandy & cost 5000/- fixed by my auto electrician and up to now no issues. working perfectly.

Hi Sira,

Go for a reliable brand like other's mention here and get it installed by a good person too. Some guys just cutting here n there and do the work. I had this experience.

Yes i recommend sun lanka they do a neat and professional job..go for steel mate or inwells...

Well, I got installed – STEEL MATE 838M form SUN ***** and they charged me 9K including 2 actuators for Driver side door and Trunk. They badly said that trunk will not work . so i just asked them to fix it but not connect. Finally i managed that trunk matter by my own at home with installing a spring to actuator to retain it. Job done!!!

During the installation i asked them, disable passive arm that will locked the car automatically in 20 sec.it was look find that time. But again i noticed a new issue (did not install auto lock when press the break, not shock sensor no engine killer)

After i stop the engine and leave the key on the key hole, open the door and close the door, the system identify that driver has not locked the doors and it will beep me after 15 sec time and it get vanished. Perfect!!!!!

But if you open the door again and closed, then with in 20 sec the car gets automatically locked. That’s scared to me. Let’s assume that you stop the car and left the key inside and went shop – Fine!

If you want to come back to car and open and close , after 20 sex car get locked this is not a good sign

There is no way to fix this bug. Went to SUN again and they said cannot disable. So i sent a mail to Steel mate in china and they also said this option cannot be fixed.

Looks strange to me

Just for your information guys. Please check the unit before you install it. Personally i do not like this alarm now

Hi sira i think all the basic security systems works that way...my inwell one acted the same way...but haven't experienced leaving the key inside for a while...anyway why did you disable all those good options?in that locking case i think you should have gone with the smart key system which is around 18k...838E one which has a transmitter that you can keep in the pocket....anyway don't think on that too much it will become a habit once you start to leave the car..you'll have to lock the car without letting it to lock itself...just always take the keys lock the car and go..

Using steelmate with above features more than 4 years now and never had a single issue with them. Like Gayan said, you have disabelled some of the good features and with that you have killed the purpose of the system too.

Well, I got installed – STEEL MATE 838M form SUN ***** and they charged me 9K including 2 actuators for Driver side door and Trunk. They badly said that trunk will not work . so i just asked them to fix it but not connect. Finally i managed that trunk matter by my own at home with installing a spring to actuator to retain it. Job done!!!

During the installation i asked them, disable passive arm that will locked the car automatically in 20 sec.it was look find that time. But again i noticed a new issue (did not install auto lock when press the break, not shock sensor no engine killer)

After i stop the engine and leave the key on the key hole, open the door and close the door, the system identify that driver has not locked the doors and it will beep me after 15 sec time and it get vanished. Perfect!!!!!

But if you open the door again and closed, then with in 20 sec the car gets automatically locked. That’s scared to me. Let’s assume that you stop the car and left the key inside and went shop – Fine!

If you want to come back to car and open and close , after 20 sex car get locked this is not a good sign

There is no way to fix this bug. Went to SUN again and they said cannot disable. So i sent a mail to Steel mate in china and they also said this option cannot be fixed.

Looks strange to me

Just for your information guys. Please check the unit before you install it. Personally i do not like this alarm now

only solution as per Sun***** people is do not keep the car key and remote together.

Looks strange to me

Well as I said I have used 3 of these units. Latest one is 838T.

All these units functioned this way,

When you switch off the engine and close all the doors (regardless the key is taken out or not) the siren will beep 3 times, then after a delay will alarm the system, doors remain unlocked. (same thing mentioned in the user manual)

If you alarm the unit, then disalarm but doors are not opened for sometime, system will realarm locking the doors.

Please refer your user manual. If problem not solved, why not ask S** L**** people to change the unit for you.

Edited by aamarakoon

Well as I said I have used 3 of these units. Latest one is 838T.

All these units functioned this way,

When you switch off the engine and close all the doors (regardless the key is taken out or not) the siren will beep 3 times, then after a delay will alarm the system, doors remain unlocked. (same thing mentioned in the user manual)

If you alarm the unit, then disalarm but doors are not opened for sometime, system will realarm locking the doors.

Please refer your user manual. If problem not solved, why not ask S** L**** people to change the unit for you.

Yes, i have asked them to fixed and they cannot . sinally they agree to refund this unit as i 'm not satisfy with the unit

I,m Using viper 5902. No problems at all for last 2.5 years. However installing all the features took me 3 months, little by little. I did it my self with my spare time. There is lot of features and configuring them are easy.

Yes, i checked this Viper too. and it got all the programming fetures. trying to get it down from malaysia s there is no local agent. how much was the unit that you buy? from ebay?