• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer Cs1 Glx (2008 Model) - Genuine Brake Pads

Podi Lamaya

Hi All,

I am about to replace the front brake pads of my Lancer CS1. I have checked the price from Unit#d Mot#rs and they sell it for Rs.14,800/=

However I was able to find after market products around Rs.4000/= from other places.

Is there any real difference exists between genuine Mitsubishi brake pads and after market products?

Is it still safer to go with genuine Mitsubishi brake pads when considering the price?

Hi All,

I am about to replace the front brake pads of my Lancer CS1. I have checked the price from Unit#d Mot#rs and they sell it for Rs.14,800/=

However I was able to find after market products around Rs.4000/= from other places.

Is there any real difference exists between genuine Mitsubishi brake pads and after market products?

Is it still safer to go with genuine Mitsubishi brake pads when considering the price?

Spending 15K for a set of Brake Pads is ridiculous especially when its a regular Saloon car, I would Suggest going for the aftermarket Pads there's not much difference maybe they will wear out a month or 2 early thats all . Lets see what the other have to say to.

Edited by Dinukap4

Looks like the prices are increasing day by day. I bought a set of genuines for my CS3A back in 2011 and they cost 13,500. Switched to genuine after using aftermarket (Japanese) brake pads for a couple of years because they were a headache.

I tried a few aftermarket pads and all of them left massive amounts of brake dust on my calipers and rims everytime I did a long journey. Plus they wear out much quicker than genuines. I had to replace the aftermarket sets every six months or so (due to wear out and slipping) whereas the genuine set has been on the car for over two years now - still as good as new.

Guess it comes down to whether you're okay with having to cope with the brake dust and the regular replacement as opposed to spending a higher price for genuine brake pads. Quite a number of people I know use good aftermarket brands (like FBK) and they are happy with them.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but if the brake pads wear out faster doesnt that mean they are more effective in stopping? And the reason you use a softer compound on the pads is so that the pads themselves wear out the instead of the disc; (else they might as well make the pads out of steel)

So based on what's been said, besides for some brake dust that gets collected around the wheels the aftermarket ones seem better.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but if the brake pads wear out faster doesnt that mean they are more effective in stopping? And the reason you use a softer compound on the pads is so that the pads themselves wear out the instead of the disc; (else they might as well make the pads out of steel)

So based on what's been said, besides for some brake dust that gets collected around the wheels the aftermarket ones seem better.

What stops the car is the friction between the pad and the rotor, so the better the friction material, the more effective the brakes. Besides, the powdered friction material between the pad and the rotor will only reduce the friction between them. Same reason why performance vehicles use tougher (ex: ceramic) pads.

As for the rotors wearing out, we cannot guarantee that brake pads will wear out evenly, heat, vibration or a sudden cool down (as a result of going over a puddle maybe) can cause the friction material to chip away if not constructed up to the standard. This can cause rotor damage. The brake dust itself can damage the rotor over time.

This photo was taken after about 6 months (roughly about 5000km) of using a set of FBK brake pads on my car. Removed the front brakes after a sound was heard from the wheel at low speeds. I didn't have enough cash on me to go for genuine ones back then, so I had to settle with another set of FBK pads. The one on the top is from the new set.

5m3j.jpg

Below are the genuine pads on the car right now. Note the different layout amd texture of the friction material.

v6wk.jpg

• Like 1

Its the discs they make out of rubber not the pads I think, as ceramic is more resistant and stable at high heat.

There are couple of brands out there. I bought a brand called MK (which is supposedly an OEM) last time which doesn't seem to have this massive break dust problem. Need to see after a year or so how they wear over. At 3 times the cost genuine pads feel a little overkill. In europe you can buy brands like Brembo, EBC for just a little more than the cheap brands and they are just as good as genuine in my humble opinion.

Since labour is cheap, having to change pads frequently is an annoyance rather than a big problem.

Thanks all for your support in choosing the brakepads.

Unfortunately today early morning, my car met with an accident and now it needs the replacement of front driver side head lamp (crystal light) as well. Any idea how much the head lamp will cost? No full insurance cover. So I have to pay it from the pocket :sad-smiley-017: :sad-smiley-017: :sad-smiley-017: :sad-smiley-017: :sad-smiley-017: :sad-smiley-017: :sad-smiley-017:

Below is the actual image of the damage.

lvsb.jpg

Edited by Podi Lamaya

Unfortunately today early morning, my car met with an accident and now it needs the replacement of front driver side head lamp (crystal light) as well. Any idea how much the head lamp will cost? No full insurance cover. So I have to pay it from the pocket :sad-smiley-017: :sad-smiley-017: :sad-smiley-017: :sad-smiley-017: :sad-smiley-017: :sad-smiley-017: :sad-smiley-017:

Sorry to hear about the accident. Apart from the obvious damage to the bumper, it looks like the hood and the fender have also sustained damage. You can try Delkanda for a headlamp. Just checked with a guy I know and he said that the cost will be around 20,000.

Got to ask; Is this a result of worn out brake pads by any chance?

Ooops... thats sad man... sorry to hear about the accident. Try US auto, their prices are decent. Here are their numbers (Wadduwa Offce) 0772 282238 0382284444. If you are not replacing the bumper, please make sure to take her to a good place that does plastic repairs, cuz some dudes love filling with putty.

Looks like this will burn a hole in your pocket machan.. Head lamp, bumper repair or replacement, fender and hood..

In a country like ours, third party is a very very bad idea..

Hope the accident is not due to bad brake pads...

Edited by trinity

Sorry to hear about the accident. Apart from the obvious damage to the bumper, it looks like the hood and the fender have also sustained damage. You can try Delkanda for a headlamp. Just checked with a guy I know and he said that the cost will be around 20,000.

Got to ask; Is this a result of worn out brake pads by any chance?

I am not exactly sure whether the brake pads are responsible for the accident. But I felt like brakes didn't respond fast enough. At the time of accident speed was around 40 Km/h. So, it could be due to worn out brake pads.

Ooops... thats sad man... sorry to hear about the accident. Try US auto, their prices are decent. Here are their numbers (Wadduwa Offce) 0772 282238 0382284444. If you are not replacing the bumper, please make sure to take her to a good place that does plastic repairs, cuz some dudes love filling with putty.

Looks like this will burn a hole in your pocket machan.. Head lamp, bumper repair or replacement, fender and hood..

In a country like ours, third party is a very very bad idea..

Hope the accident is not due to bad brake pads...

Thanks for the contact numbers machan. I called them on the given number and head lamp is not available with them. They asked me to check with the Dehiwala branch. Anyway I found a head lamp (reconditioned) through one of my friend and the price is Rs. 18,000/=. I am not sure whether it is a good deal or not. May be I can negotiate a little bit.

You are right mate. Driving daily in Colombo with a third party insurance cover should be stopped. I will get a full insurance cover when the next salary comes :rolleyes:

Its the discs they make out of rubber not the pads I think, as ceramic is more resistant and stable at high heat.

There are couple of brands out there. I bought a brand called MK (which is supposedly an OEM) last time which doesn't seem to have this massive break dust problem. Need to see after a year or so how they wear over. At 3 times the cost genuine pads feel a little overkill. In europe you can buy brands like Brembo, EBC for just a little more than the cheap brands and they are just as good as genuine in my humble opinion.

Since labour is cheap, having to change pads frequently is an annoyance rather than a big problem.

You're probably right, the reputed brands invest a lot into research and develop good quality break pads that are equally good (or sometimes better) than OEM. Wish we had a variety of choice here.

When I was doing some homework about brake dust and the causes (back when I faced the problem initially), I read somewhere that brake dust consists mostly of the elements from the rotors themselves. Makes matters a bit serious if this is the case. I'll try to find the source.

I noticed the genuine pads are made by a company called sumitomo. Maybe that's what we need :)

Also 14000 is dealer price. I am sure other importers will be able to source them cheaper. If they were less than 10k I will go for them. That will make them around double the price not triple

Edited by The Don

Yeah, there are two OEM brands: Sumitomo and Akebono. Sumitomo seems to be the one that comes with newer Mitsubishis according to a web search. They go for around 4000 LKR on eBay! Still cheaper with shipping and taxes I guess.

• 11 months later...
What stops the car is the friction between the pad and the rotor, so the better the friction material, the more effective the brakes. Besides, the powdered friction material between the pad and the rotor will only reduce the friction between them. Same reason why performance vehicles use tougher (ex: ceramic) pads.

As for the rotors wearing out, we cannot guarantee that brake pads will wear out evenly, heat, vibration or a sudden cool down (as a result of going over a puddle maybe) can cause the friction material to chip away if not constructed up to the standard. This can cause rotor damage. The brake dust itself can damage the rotor over time.

This photo was taken after about 6 months (roughly about 5000km) of using a set of FBK brake pads on my car. Removed the front brakes after a sound was heard from the wheel at low speeds. I didn't have enough cash on me to go for genuine ones back then, so I had to settle with another set of FBK pads. The one on the top is from the new set.

5m3j.jpg

Below are the genuine pads on the car right now. Note the different layout amd texture of the friction material.

v6wk.jpg

Davy, resurrecting an old thread since I need some advice on brakes.

I feel the brakes on the Galant are not so great. I drove my Bro-in-Law's Nissan Sunny the other day and it had rock solid brakes. You hit the brakes and it stays. Mine feel somewhat sluggish. I can't determine whether it's the ABS or just how the brakes are set up on the G but in any case want to improve the braking.

The front brake pads on the Galant are quite thin and I'm planning to replace them. When I called UM, they said that they have both front and rear brake pads for some 17k. I need to call them back and confirm. Being UM, 17k for two sets of anything sounds like their mistake.

There is a slight rattling noise coming from the front right wheel. If I remember correctly you or Trinity had the same issue that was fixed quite easily.

Before I go ahead, would like to know what should be the ideal way to go about improving the brakes using the current setup.

Edited by Sierra Charlie

I feel the brakes on the Galant are not so great. I drove my Bro-in-Law's Nissan Sunny the other day and it had rock solid brakes. You hit the brakes and it stays. Mine feel somewhat sluggish. I can't determine whether it's the ABS or just how the brakes are set up on the G but in any case want to improve the braking.

The front brake pads on the Galant are quite thin and I'm planning to replace them. When I called UM, they said that they have both front and rear brake pads for some 17k. I need to call them back and confirm. Being UM, 17k for two sets of anything sounds like their mistake.

There is a slight rattling noise coming from the front right wheel. If I remember correctly you or Trinity had the same issue that was fixed quite easily.

Before I go ahead, would like to know what should be the ideal way to go about improving the brakes using the current setup.

Before buying a new sets of pads, check the quality of the brake oil. When did you replace the brake oil last time?

Some service centers has a pen like gadget which can test the quality of the brake oil.

Once I have replaced brake oil from a service center since the above test indicated that the brake oil is bad. Then Couple of months / weeks ago I too felt poor braking in my car and I thought it was the brake pads. However, the issue was, the service center has replaced the brake oil using some machine to suck the oil. It has not sucked the oil properly and also some air bubbles has also got into the system.

The issue was sold by replacing the brake oil using the good old method paddling the brake. Thereafter, as a rule of thumb I always use dot 4 brake oil and never let service centers / garages to use posh looking useless sucking machines. The good old method always works.

Before buying a new sets of pads, check the quality of the brake oil. When did you replace the brake oil last time?

Some service centers has a pen like gadget which can test the quality of the brake oil.

Once I have replaced brake oil from a service center since the above test indicated that the brake oil is bad. Then Couple of months / weeks ago I too felt poor braking in my car and I thought it was the brake pads. However, the issue was, the service center has replaced the brake oil using some machine to suck the oil. It has not sucked the oil properly and also some air bubbles has also got into the system.

The issue was sold by replacing the brake oil using the good old method paddling the brake. Thereafter, as a rule of thumb I always use dot 4 brake oil and never let service centers / garages to use posh looking useless sucking machines. The good old method always works.

Hmmmmm, that's a good and relatively cheap way to start. Thanks mate.

Amila is right. Spongy brakes are caused by moisture in brake oil, which happens over time, particularly in a country like ours. The fix is just to replace the brake oil. Simple :)

I did it in my Mitsubishi and the problem was solved straight away. You should really change brake oil every 2-4 years if you use the car regularly.

Amila is right. Spongy brakes are caused by moisture in brake oil, which happens over time, particularly in a country like ours. The fix is just to replace the brake oil. Simple :)

I did it in my Mitsubishi and the problem was solved straight away. You should really change brake oil every 2-4 years if you use the car regularly.

Thanks Don. Also, need some advice on the brake pads. Where shall I look for a some OEM or better quality brake pads? Kinda stumped about where to buy the spares.

Thanks Don. Also, need some advice on the brake pads. Where shall I look for a some OEM or better quality brake pads? Kinda stumped about where to buy the spares.

From the feedback on the forum, the genuine pads last longer.

Personally in Sri Lanka, I've never used them, because they are at times 3 times the price of fairly good quality pads. There is a brand called MK which is an OEM manufacturer (make sure its the Japanese variety as they have a factory in Malaysia or Thailand as well), and FBK so check those out. In the UK I nearly always use Genuine or a good brand like EBC or Brembo because the price difference is not so great plus the labour to change them is high so it makes sense to use the longer lasting variety. Ultimately it comes down to how you use the car.

Also check if you can genuine parts for less in Panchi as the agents probably add a premium. The Suzuki pads for a HT51s was 14K at A*W!!! MK was 3K..

Slight warning though. There are two problems with non OEM pads.

1. Some seem to give out too much brake dust, and become noisy quickly.... This in contrast is a minor problem

2. Some pads are too hard and wear off the discs quicker. Now that is a bigger issue

So you might need to get some feedback before deciding on a brand when sourcing non genuine parts. In my case the parts guy is somebody we've gone for years, and he advised we take the cheaper MK because he's had lot of complaints about the other more expensive variety. A year after, it seems to have been a good decision, and that car is a daily runner and brakes are used a lot since auto.

Sub-standard aftermarket brake pads can definitely be a reason for poor braking, so if you're going for new pads, I can only suggest going for genuines if you can afford them. Do you have disks all round? If so, 17K sounds like a reasonable price cause the front pads alone for the Lance CS3 cost me 13K a couple of years back. I'm still running on those pads and there's not a bit of brake dust or noise. The braking power is significantly better than when I was using aftermarket pads. There are of course good Japanese brake pads which are equally good.

As for the rattling noise I had in the front, it was because one of the aftermarket pads not sitting properly on the caliper. On a different occasion, there was another rattling noise in the front and it was because of a missing caliper pin. Caliper pins hold the pads in place without allowing them to rattle. You can get a set of pins from UniMo and they're not that expensive. Some cars have a shim that hold the pads in place, our local mechanics get rid of the shims because they tend to rust and break into pieces when replacing pads. Go through the workshop manual for brakes and see what parts of the brakes are missing (pins/shims) and replace them to stop all these brake rattles.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1