• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan Leaf Launch In Sri Lanka

MIBSriLanka

Are you sure the above electricity unit structure is correct? I thought it was a fixed fee where you now pay the rate of the highest unit (of electricity consumed) for all units you are consuming.

Not according to the CEB website, of course I could be wrong. Eitherway, regular recharging is going to push up the amount of units way past the 187 threshold. Would make sense if you had maybe a solar energy system powering your house/business, or if the recharge point idea takes off in SL. The importers plan to set up fast recharge points "across the island". The feasibility of such is somewhat dubious though.

The Leaf was reviewed on Top Gear three seasons ago... Here's the clip:

http://vimeo.com/27535208

Another interesting read: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/8676473/Nissan-hits-back-at-Top-Gear.html

Not according to the CEB website, of course I could be wrong. Eitherway, regular recharging is going to push up the amount of units way past the 187 threshold. Would make sense if you had maybe a solar energy system powering your house/business, or if the recharge point idea takes off in SL. The importers plan to set up fast recharge points "across the island". The feasibility of such is somewhat dubious though.

Another interesting read: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/8676473/Nissan-hits-back-at-Top-Gear.html

The Leaf doesn't have a supercharger, and even Tesla's takes about 20 mins according to marketing. Corporate backing would help, like companies giving chargeups in place of fuel allowance and this kinda thing being a corporate car. Not to mention, the car would spend a LOT of time parked at work. Allow companies to market their green credentials too. Been making some low level noise on that and solar at the company for a number of years now, but its still not ripe for deployment. Fortunately our COO is into that sorta thing, but the numbers don't make sense just yet. Keeping an eye on it tho.

I really wanna see if they can set up the wireless recharging pads that the Leaf supports. I'm totally hooked on wireless recharging due to the Nexus 4 experience :D

There are few companies who sell these solar power (net metering or stand alone) systems. The good news is that the prices have come down from 700k to 400k for a 200 unit system within a very short time. I have done the wiring needed for such a system in my new house and now waiting for the prices to come down further. IMHO the future looks bright for EVs and solar energy harvesting in SL. Imagine charging your Leaf from the energy of the sun and never have to visit the fuel shed again.

• Like 3

There are few companies who sell these solar power (net metering or stand alone) systems. The good news is that the prices have come down from 700k to 400k for a 200 unit system within a very short time. I have done the wiring needed for such a system in my new house and now waiting for the prices to come down further. IMHO the future looks bright for EVs and solar energy harvesting in SL. Imagine charging your Leaf from the energy of the sun and never have to visit the fuel shed again.

Calculations have come back saying 7 years to recover the investment in solar panels. As you said, have to wait further.

A government agwncy's website is hardly the most "up-to-date", but those who actually pay an electricity bill would know.

Anyway, I was just watching the TG segment and it says the vehicle is GBP30,000, which is more than Rs.6 million looks like the car's dropped in price significantly over the months.

A government agwncy's website is hardly the most "up-to-date", but those who actually pay an electricity bill would know.

Anyway, I was just watching the TG segment and it says the vehicle is GBP30,000, which is more than Rs.6 million looks like the car's dropped in price significantly over the months.

Nobody wants to pay for a used battery. Quite simple.

Actually, Sampath is right. It may not have been a commercial success, and questionable if it was actually a "car" but there was something called the c******o Reva once upon a time...

Ha, found it!

http://archives.dailymirror.lk/2005/03/24/ft/02.asp

http://www.island.lk/2005/05/04/business6.html

Plenty on google. Glorified G-Whiz.

One reason for not being successful must be the name, as in Defecated.

There's even better one telecasting on ITN on Sundays. Now its presented by a cricket commentator and its the worst car related program ever!. Like k9master said, need lot of patience to watch it more than 5 mins. I watched few episodes after muting the sound( land rover evoque and jaguar xf episodes, just to see the vehicle)

How can some thing possibly be worse than Sh*tty vision,

Just have to find out.

These are more stomach cramping than Sh*han M*h*ranga

• Like 2

Seems like the launch is now official. it was on Sunday times. I'm not a great fan but here's the link anyways...

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/130825/business-times/all-electric-nissan-leaf-hits-lankan-roads-58689.html

So wait...now E* Lan.is an authorised Nissan dealer ?

Uhh....I am not a marketing/sales person...but I thought for a car to be "officially" launched it has to be done by an authorised dealer of the manufacturer after the dealer and the manufacturer come to an agreement on the fact that the model is viable for the country.

Or is it actually a case of if I start a company and bring down a few Ferraris and market and sell it and setup a service/work-shop that I have officially launched it ?

Uhh....I am not a marketing/sales person...but I thought for a car to be "officially" launched it has to be done by an authorised dealer of the manufacturer after the dealer and the manufacturer come to an agreement on the fact that the model is viable for the country.

Or is it actually a case of if I start a company and bring down a few Ferraris and market and sell it and setup a service/work-shop that I have officially launched it ?

Not enoough. You need to take one more step.

You need to pay one of the gay TV channels in Sri Lanka to run a program about your 'official launch' and also pay some newspapers to run a few articles.

• Like 3

note the point that they have called for places to provide charging facilities which will be made available to "only their customers"

Is it so? Terrible. It has to be the way how normal fuel stations work. Seems like someone is going to get the control by force.

This is true. 100% agreed. The manufacturer and the agent have to maintain a good relationship to provide a good service to the end customer. Otherwise customers have to listen to the talks of those who called "Agents" and pay much higher prices even for smaller repairs.

I saw the "agent" sell the same car for 4.2 million and some other person has advertised a single unit (Same year) for 3.9 million. As this is a zero emission vehicle and help the community to "Go Green" the taxes it gets are very much low I think but please share what experts say about it.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="LashNeo" data-cid="246116" data-time="1377430954"><p>

Seems like the launch is now official. it was on Sunday times. I'm not a great fan but here's the link anyways...<br />

<br />

<a href='http://www.sundaytimes.lk/130825/business-times/all-electric-nissan-leaf-hits-lankan-roads-58689.html'>http://www.sundaytimes.lk/130825/business-times/all-electric-nissan-leaf-hits-lankan-roads-58689.html</a></p></blockquote>

Where was it mentioned as official launch ? It says that company imported these cars directly and brought down 5 units. Words were picked very selectively it seems ;)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="LashNeo" data-cid="246116" data-time="1377430954"><p>

Seems like the launch is now official. it was on Sunday times. I'm not a great fan but here's the link anyways...<br />

<br />

<a href='http://www.sundaytimes.lk/130825/business-times/all-electric-nissan-leaf-hits-lankan-roads-58689.html'>http://www.sundaytimes.lk/130825/business-times/all-electric-nissan-leaf-hits-lankan-roads-58689.html</a></p></blockquote>

Where was it mentioned as official launch ? It says that company imported these cars directly and brought down 5 units. Words were picked very selectively it seems ;)

Good catch on the wording on the last article. I think the Daily News article mentioned the word "launch" and most probably the TV clip (sorry that thing is way too painful to watch again...)...

I saw on an article nissan leaf was having a high recall rate in Florida and apparently it was due high humidity in Florida which has shortened the battery life of the vehicle. not sure whether they have improved that already.

• 2 weeks later...
Better than the Aut0Visi0n episode. Less talk about headlights - more talk about the internals.

Yes certainly better than Shitty vision. But the so called agent should have sent a competent guy to explain things better.

1. An inverter supplies electricity to the gear box to propel the car forward

2. When you drive slow, the rear wheels generate electricity so that non of the electricity is wasted (Guess its a perpetual motion machine...)

3. Differences in G Grade Leave and X Grade

Can some one give me a BIG face palm please...