• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan Leaf Launch In Sri Lanka

MIBSriLanka

oh god that presenter is so retarded!! parking sensors in front? lights? is that all he has to talk about on a nissan leaf? christ! watching that gave me cancer!

I was thinking the same thing. He has the first electric car in Sri Lanka in front of his, yet his first question is about the lights. Typical allion guy if you ask me.

I was thinking the same thing. He has the first electric car in Sri Lanka in front of his, yet his first question is about the lights. Typical allion guy if you ask me.

Yeah true, that was an unbelievably dumb and moronic intro to the car?

couldn't bare to watch more than this 15mins so don't know if this happened later in the program bud did they at least answer the questions that might pop up in the mind of a typical Sri Lanka Prius gang member?

Like, How much is the range? How much will it cost for electricity for a typical charge? How much will it cost a km? How long will the battery would last etc?

Unrelated Note: They have copied TGs SIARPC and come up with a SIARPGK (Star In A Reasonably Priced Go Kart). Another Sirasa Original :sport-smiley-027:

There's even better one telecasting on ITN on Sundays. Now its presented by a cricket commentator and its the worst car related program ever!. Like k9master said, need lot of patience to watch it more than 5 mins. I watched few episodes after muting the sound( land rover evoque and jaguar xf episodes, just to see the vehicle)

• Like 1

OMG that was hard to watch....as for the newspaper article...hmmm

:speechless-smiley-006: considering that:

1. Most cars are bought remotely through the auction houses' own system (which sometimes gives you access to a bit more information than what you might get through an online system that you see all over the place) without even seeing the car and even from prefectures other than the one thse people are in (also cars are some what cheaper in some prefectures than others...)

2. Even if you do visit an auction house you only have a limited time to just physically look at the car and don't get to give it a proper inspection and maybe listen to the engine startup when it is being rolled from one place to another by the auction house people and bidding takes place through computer screens in a hall that resembles a control room of a rocket launch

the statement "Hand picking cars at auctions" always baffles me. It is not like these people are testing the batteries and electric motor and other components by technicians prior to purchasing the car..

Edited by iRage

Didn't watch full video clip.

This is not the first electric car in Sri Lanka. I remember few electric cars (not Nissan Leaf) were imported by someone two years ago.

Those days, I saw two electric cars at Kadawatha for sale. They were registered and letter "E" was mentioned under hyphen instead of "P" for petrol and "D" for Diesel.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Actually, Sampath is right. It may not have been a commercial success, and questionable if it was actually a "car" but there was something called the c******o Reva once upon a time...

Ha, found it!

http://archives.dailymirror.lk/2005/03/24/ft/02.asp

http://www.island.lk/2005/05/04/business6.html

Plenty on google. Glorified G-Whiz.

Hmmm, Potential Threads to follow:

1. Will Electric Cars will Succeed in Sri Lanka?

2. Prius, Prius Plugin Hybrid, Insight, Nissan Leaf, which one is better?

3. Change Language on Nissan Leaf

As for the 1st example. thank god (or thank moderators) for not having the said individual in the forum anymore. Otherwise the marketing campaign would have already started.

• Like 2

Hmmm, Potential Threads to follow:

1. Will Electric Cars will Succeed in Sri Lanka?

2. Prius, Prius Plugin Hybrid, Insight, Nissan Leaf, which one is better?

3. Change Language on Nissan Leaf

As for the 1st example. thank god (or thank moderators) for not having the said individual in the forum anymore. Otherwise the marketing campaign would have already started.

That said, I have seen a certain Joint Modorator drooling and spanking his monkey over a Nissan Leaf on Facebook.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day a Ferrari or a Lamborghini is reviewed on that show and the presenter asks "apey prekshakayonta danaganna kiyanna balanna meke thel kochchara wada karanawada kiyala...". Seriously, how can we expect the average motorist to not be concerned about trivial things about a car when public media itself is influencing them to be (and I quote Komi) "retarded".

• Like 1

That article was slightly less vomit inducing. Didn't know it was "highly maneuverable" around corners. Ands it had 13 alloy wheels. Imagine all at friction? Why not 4, like every other car?

And again, I couldn't watch the whole thing either. You should listen to this simp babble on about the Datsun 240z in another episode. Asks about the body kit on the car. There isn't one. I'm sure if retards trace their lineage millennia from now, he'll be at its root

Edited by Komisiripala
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if one day a Ferrari or a Lamborghini is reviewed on that show and the presenter asks "apey prekshakayonta danaganna kiyanna balanna meke thel kochchara wada karanawada kiyala...". Seriously, how can we expect the average motorist to not be concerned about trivial things about a car when public media itself is influencing them to be (and I quote Komi) "retarded".

Think they asked such question when they reviewed a 159JTS :D

Well for a more palatable take on the leaf check out the magazine next month, esdeez managed to get his hands on one for a test drive..

And Hopefully we'll eventually get it on Motorque when season 3 rolls around! :)

Well for a more palatable take on the leaf check out the magazine next month, esdeez managed to get his hands on one for a test drive..

And Hopefully we'll eventually get it on Motorque when season 3 rolls around! :)

Drove it, and was pleasently suprised. It feels like a car, but just, well so smooth (durrrh). And so eerily quiet, resolved by turning the radio on... Handles like any other small car, i.e competent but not the last word in cornering. Plus comes with a lot of standard kit, like birds eye view parking, and some other neat thingamjigs. There's a lof of space in there too, could easily fit 5 adults in as much comfort as a prii.

There's no doubting the car's potential. Its just that, well there is the usual process of separating the marketing bluff from truth. Plus the price is quite steep at 4.2 mil upwards. Any questions ya'll want me to consider before I wrap the article up?

There's no doubting the car's potential. Its just that, well there is the usual process of separating the marketing bluff from truth. Plus the price is quite steep at 4.2 mil upwards. Any questions ya'll want me to consider before I wrap the article up?

It's gonna come up eventually, so I'm just going to ask this. As we know, right now the rate per unit of electricity varies based on the individual's consumption.So the "cost of running" this car will not be the same for everyone.

If I were to charge it at home (presumably 0% to 100% of the battery), how many units would it consume? In simpler terms, can we boil it down to a equivalent of running a X watt appliance for Y hours.

So based on everyone's individual electricity bill, they can see how many more kWh (units) they will consume and how much it would raise the electricity bill by.

Edited by Watchman

Need to get the CEB figuares, but a Nissan Leaf's battery capity is about 24 KWh, so lets assume that it'll cost that amount to fully recharge it if you manage to discharge it completely (Although in reality the leaf wont let you completely empty it's battery, nor would you want to get to anywhere near that point). So thats 24 units per day. If you were to recharge every day, say 30 days, that would result in a total power consumption of 720 units. Going on the calculations from the CEB website (http://www.ceb.lk/sub/knowledge/billcalculation.html) that would mean

EDIT: My previous calculations were so off the mark it was shameful.

Leafcalc_zpsa9c72664.jpg

Of course thats a) without household electricity needs. At the most it'll cost about an extra Rs. 43K, - 720 * LKR 42 * (1+40%).. Gulp

and b ) assuming that you'll be running 150+kms each day. I doubt many do that.

So then per km, without factoring in consumables, it would be (at 42 rs per unit) Rs.6.72 per km...

Edited by esdeez
  • Like 2

We need a petrol comparison.... S_N suggested the aqua which is cheaper, and apparantly does abt 20kmpl (his words :P)

Say that does 150 miles EDIT: Kms a day, filled up with 90 octane for 30 days, would cost around 36,450 in petrol... Plus servicing costs that you dont get in the leaf...

Hmmm....

Edited by esdeez

Need to get the CEB figuares, but a Nissan Leaf's battery capity is about 24 KWh, so lets assume that it'll cost that amount to fully recharge it if you manage to discharge it completely (Although in reality the leaf wont let you completely empty it's battery, nor would you want to get to anywhere near that point). So thats 24 units per day. If you were to recharge every day, say 30 days, that would result in a total power consumption of 720 units. Going on the calculations from the CEB website (http://www.ceb.lk/sub/knowledge/billcalculation.html) that would mean

EDIT: My previous calculations were so off the mark it was shameful.

Leafcalc_zpsa9c72664.jpg

Of course thats a) without household electricity needs. At the most it'll cost about an extra Rs. 43K, - 720 * LKR 42 * (1+40%).. Gulp

and b ) assuming that you'll be running 150+kms each day. I doubt many do that.

So then per km, without factoring in consumables, it would be (at 42 rs per unit) Rs.6.72 per km...

Are you sure the above electricity unit structure is correct? I thought it was a fixed fee where you now pay the rate of the highest unit (of electricity consumed) for all units you are consuming.

It is interesting to see such innovation. There can be so many practical issues that these type of cars will face in Sri Lanka. :) Talking about the video on this thread, I personally feel the re-presenter had no knowledge even the common things of a car. However I found the below video that will explain well about Nissan Leaf 2011. I also saw an advertisement on a newspaper that the island-wide charging centers are going to open soon but don't know how soon.

Edited by Nishan.dj