• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Proton Wira Meter Issue

carboy2011

I got a Proton Wira checked out today its a 300- 1998 1500 CC EFI with p/s,p/w and p/m but has following issues

Meters are going all over the place - RPM and Speedo ,when esp the RPM goes way up and then comes to nil

dashboard is cracked

clutch is slipping

shocks need to be changed (all 4)

check engine light is ON (any idea why?)

other than above car is ok

I need some help with the meter issue,does anyone know if its a printed circuit meter board for this car or nomal one?

any ideas why the meters are playing up? how it can be fixed or does it need a dashboard replacement?

considering the above what will be the market price for it

seems like an ill treated lemon.. why worry and try to get into a heap of trouble? rule of thumb.. always seek for well looked after ones (regardless of the make) and none from above list would appear in such a specimen.

you have a valid point but the thing is for my budget Protons are the nly newer ones available rest are all older cars of 16 or 17 - series

all the Protons I have seen have an issue with cracked dashboards! (maybe the Malaysian build quality?)

btw this is an ex Dialog car with a current employee

my god why did you buy it at the first place??i'm sure you are going to pay some good cash for all that repairs....4 shocks,clutch kit and who knows what's wrong with the engine...

no no i have not yet bought it mate

just got it checked so want all your opinions

engine is good btw

engine is good btw

engine is good btw

HI mate i think you are better off with a well maintained kia or a Hyundai for that price...even a honda eg8 or a mazda interplay...if that car was that poorly cared you can't trust on engine or other parts...you'll get into one heck of a trouble later replacing mounts,bearings and all the stuff..

carboy2011,

Settling for "half a car" is not the solution for having a low budget. I'm sure you can find a better car, you just need to be patient. Plus, you can never say that "the engine is good" when the check engine light is on. It could be from a small issue like a burnt sensor to a messed up ECU which would set you back a considerable amount of cash.

Also, you cannot be 100% positive that you could get away with just replacing the shocks. There could be issues with other suspension components as well, especially if the guy ran with worn out shocks for some time. You might be looking at replacing lower arm bushes, rack ends, tie rod ends, shock mounts and all that.

As a matter of fact, the meter issue could be the most trivial of all the ones you've listed. So take the advice from the other members also and make a wise decision.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

you have a valid point but the thing is for my budget Protons are the nly newer ones available rest are all older cars of 16 or 17 - series

all the Protons I have seen have an issue with cracked dashboards! (maybe the Malaysian build quality?)

What exactly is your budget? As everyone has said above, its MUCH better to go for a slightly older car that has been well maintained than to buy a lemon just because it has a newer number... Remember when buying a used car, you're not just buying the car but your also buying the results of all the previous owners' maintenance (or lack thereof)...

Wiras generally go in the 800k-1 mill mark right? Maybe you should hold off on the purchase a bit until you have a little more in hand and find yourself a decent CB series lancer.

What do you mean by "other than above the car is ok"? A car is not OK at all when you have all those problems at the same time.

Seriously there is a way to estimate the price of the car in question with minimum financial risk. Take the weight of the car in kg, deduct the weight of plastic parts, multiply the figure by the current price of scrap iron per kg. Viola! now you have the final price. Then with absolute confidence you can go about restoring it. :sad-smiley-066:

unfortunately in the current sri lankan context Mr. Perera next door cant notice which was a well cared for for car as opposed to a car with a English number.

Ironically, over here people bid a LOT of money to get number plates that are OLD.

carboy2011,

Settling for "half a car" is not the solution for having a low budget. I'm sure you can find a better car, you just need to be patient. Plus, you can never say that "the engine is good" when the check engine light is on. It could be from a small issue like a burnt sensor to a messed up ECU which would set you back a considerable amount of cash.

Also, you cannot be 100% positive that you could get away with just replacing the shocks. There could be issues with other suspension components as well, especially if the guy ran with worn out shocks for some time. You might be looking at replacing lower arm bushes, rack ends, tie rod ends, shock mounts and all that.

As a matter of fact, the meter issue could be the most trivial of all the ones you've listed. So take the advice from the other members also and make a wise decision.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

thanks mate !

unfortunately in the current sri lankan context Mr. Perera next door cant notice which was a well cared for for car as opposed to a car with a English number.

Ironically, over here people bid a LOT of money to get number plates that are OLD.

well its not an english no plate btw!

What exactly is your budget? As everyone has said above, its MUCH better to go for a slightly older car that has been well maintained than to buy a lemon just because it has a newer number... Remember when buying a used car, you're not just buying the car but your also buying the results of all the previous owners' maintenance (or lack thereof)...

Wiras generally go in the 800k-1 mill mark right? Maybe you should hold off on the purchase a bit until you have a little more in hand and find yourself a decent CB series lancer.

of course CB Lancers were my 1st choice but never got around a decent one so far in my budget.....but fingers crossed! i was looking for one around 8-8.5 mark

of course CB Lancers were my 1st choice but never got around a decent one so far in my budget.....but fingers crossed! i was looking for one around 8-8.5 mark

There are a couple of lancers on the AL classifieds right now for that budget... Another car you could look at is the Mazda 323.. Actually for 850k you should be able to pick up an English numbered wira in decent shape.. Just be patient and shop around a bit..