• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

To Horton Plains By March K12 And Alto K10

newone

Question

Good day to you all,

I am not sure whether this can be answered by you , or how stupid the question is, but I couldn't find any better place to get advice...

I am planing to go Horton plains by nissan march BK12 and my friends Alto K10.

bk12 with 4 persons and K10 with 5 persons. do you guys think its a good idea ?

Is the pulling power is enough with this passenger load ?

Thanks....

As per my knowledge you can. It has some hills but road is not so bad. Obviously you won't be needing A/C which will increase your vehicle pulling power more. In my opinion you should be good to go :pardon: . Enjoy your tour !!!

Thanks for the info damith... :)

Newone ! Alto K10 power is not enough even with 04 passengers to climb the horton plc. am not sure about the bk12. anw you can manage the both easily with 03 passengers . :sport-smiley-027:

thanks mahesh. bk12 comes with 1.4 engine... hmm but alto k10 is the problem...

Edited by newone

I think the pulling power might be ok, you might need to give it a lotta revs, but it should manage. I'd be more concerned about the ground clearance, tho to be honest, I haven't gone that way in some time.
Careful. Those last few hairpins are tricky. You might burn your clutch. Otherwise no issues

thanks komi and Peri .. :)

Now I feel like hire a van... I dont want to take a risk

Yeap you'll be able to find hire a van for the cost of fuel per 2 cars. Besides no fun when the crew is separated to 2 vehicles.

Well. there are many ways to take fun when going on 2 cars ;)

I've taken my (previous) auto K11 from Colombo to Mahiyanganya via Kandy when the 18 bend road was under construction and not many vehicles went that way (I didn't know until I came upon the 20 kilometers of mud and rocks that was the road at that time!) The car was virtually brown from top to bottom when I reached Mahiyanganya.

Next day, back to Randenigala via raja mawatha and to Nuwara Eliya via Walapane and some of the steepest, bendiest and narrowest roads I've come across.

Then to Horton plains via Ambepussa, Pattipola and later, down through Ohiya to A4 in the dusk where we had to detour via Haputale due to a landslide in Beragala road.

It was 8 pm when I hit A4 and was in Nugegoda by 11.30 pm!

It was just me and my wife though and the car never felt like it was being asked to do something that it didn't want to do. The manouverability of that K11 in those bends and slopes were exceptional and the drive was really fun.

I might hv scraped the bottom of the car a couple of times in the 18 bends (which was to be fair, just off road at that time) and again a couple of time on the way down via Ohiya.

Just wanted to say that it's certainly possible and fun to take some of these cars up through these roads but maybe not with that sort of load.

• Like 2

The BK12 will be completely fine. gone there even in the AK12. so the 1.4engine will have no trouble at all don't know about the alto.

Put more passengers into the march and less to the alto.

Be careful of the ground clearance if there's no front lip you should be fine.

It will be better than hireing a van which you don't know.

who knows if it would break down.

When going in 2 cars if one fails you have the other to bring help

And there is a lot of ways to enjoy the 2 car trip.

swaping drivers passengers.

Slight racing (not breaking the law or your bones :D )

etc..

• Like 2

I've taken my (previous) auto K11 from Colombo to Mahiyanganya via Kandy when the 18 bend road was under construction and not many vehicles went that way (I didn't know until I came upon the 20 kilometers of mud and rocks that was the road at that time!) The car was virtually brown from top to bottom when I reached Mahiyanganya.

Next day, back to Randenigala via raja mawatha and to Nuwara Eliya via Walapane and some of the steepest, bendiest and narrowest roads I've come across.

Then to Horton plains via Ambepussa, Pattipola and later, down through Ohiya to A4 in the dusk where we had to detour via Haputale due to a landslide in Beragala road.

It was 8 pm when I hit A4 and was in Nugegoda by 11.30 pm!

It was just me and my wife though and the car never felt like it was being asked to do something that it didn't want to do. The manouverability of that K11 in those bends and slopes were exceptional and the drive was really fun.

I might hv scraped the bottom of the car a couple of times in the 18 bends (which was to be fair, just off road at that time) and again a couple of time on the way down via Ohiya.

Just wanted to say that it's certainly possible and fun to take some of these cars up through these roads but maybe not with that sort of load.

yes.. if its two I will go there without any doubt...

The BK12 will be completely fine. gone there even in the AK12. so the 1.4engine will have no trouble at all don't know about the alto.

Put more passengers into the march and less to the alto.

Be careful of the ground clearance if there's no front lip you should be fine.

It will be better than hireing a van which you don't know.

who knows if it would break down.

When going in 2 cars if one fails you have the other to bring help

And there is a lot of ways to enjoy the 2 car trip.

swaping drivers passengers.

Slight racing (not breaking the law or your bones :D )

etc..

Waited until ur reply... :) I have seen you mentioned about your AK12 before... if its only bk12 I will go there... but with alto I am not feeling like... even my friend also not sure about his K10 . :speechless-smiley-004:

finally decided to go nuwaraeliya by cars and get a van for Horton plains tour.

oh and another thing. make sure you have at least one set of normal halogen lights. HID's don't work for Shi'ite in the fog. you won't see a blessed thing two feet in front of you. and its well and good you're taking a van, I guess. but remember about the fog light thingey

• Like 2

god -_- you will be okay.

i went on a auto CR41 with 8 on board. maximum speed we could attain while climbing was 20kmph, but still there no prob.

behind us was a maruti 800 with 5 on board. they bloody overtook us in the steep hill. so a K10 wont have any issue's

be careful though

there are some dangerous hairpins on the end of the hill..

a lil suggestion

keep some yellow plastic paper (the one's that are used for cheap vesak buckets) and some tape with you in case of fog.

otw we encountered heavy fog and believe it or not that plastic paper helped a wee bit

d8OlhnD.jpg

Last time i went to Hortan plains, i remember another car came along behind us. it was a Maruti 800 with three passengers. They even had a small child on board.
No one in our van believed that it will complete the trip. But, for the surprise of most of us, that thing managed to complete the trip without much fuss while our Van had to be halted twice due to overheating . So, with that experience i think it's safe to bet that an Alto can pull off the same stint without many issues.
But, carrying 5 persons might be an issue. Things will also depend on the condition of the car as well. So i think you have made a wise decision to hire a van