• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Failure In Emission Test

RoughRider

Guys,

I had an engine tune-up done for my car (Nissan N16, Manual, 1500cc) two months back at a place in Ja-Ela & they replaced spark plugs, cleaned injectors,throttle body,regulator valve after conducting a system scanning (Which cost me around 9K )

Recently I took my car to a place @ Wattala to get the emission test clearance for the revenue licence but failed since it indicated an engine issue. I was pretty much puzzled with the outcome since I didn't feel anything extraordinary with my car & they advised me to do an engine tune-up again!

Pls share your valuable thoughts on this matter & let me know what action should I take to correct this

CHEERS.

It's hard to pin point..how's the exhaust and silencer?does it look black full of carbon deposits?which emission cause the car to fail according to report?it's better if you can put up the report details here...idle speed and all

Did you scan the vehicle to find the error. I'm not an expert but after reading most of the article at AutoLanka and having some low pulling power issue with my FB15 earlier it may be relate with Mass Air Flow sensor which is quiet common with QG series engine. since I'm far out side Colombo, I can't suggest a place. and this is a common topic which discussed earlier.

Edited by Charith H Jayasinghe

Did you scan the vehicle to find the error. I'm not an expert but after reading most of the article at AutoLanka and having some low pulling power issue with my FB15 earlier it may be relate with Mass Air Flow sensor which is quiet common with QG series engine. since I'm far out side Colombo, I can't suggest a place. and this is a common topic which discussed earlier.

Oh yes freaking yes nissan and its maf sensor!! :violent-smiley-027:

Edited by GayanR

Could you post the HC/CO/Lambda/O2/CO2 values for both Idle and 2500 RPM. My wild guess is that you have high HC at idle but I could be wrong! Also mention the condition of your air filter.

As I can remember in another thread someone said he was asked to do ride before test for warm up of catalytic etc... Hope Rumesh will explain this and did you follow such? cause in nissan manual also say something like that. experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

post-55844-0-48436900-1376034287_thumb.j

As I can remember in another thread someone said he was asked to do ride before test for warm up of catalytic etc... Hope Rumesh will explain this and did you follow such? cause in nissan manual also say something like that. experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

What's on the attachement seems to be a tedious task :)

What is explained in Charith's post is a way of running the whole systems through the ECU diagnostic procedures. It is not a must on a daily runner unless you disconnect the battery or replaced sensor etc in the immediate past. Moreover, to do all these one needs a race track or has do it in the night. However, it is better to run the vehicle for a few kms before an emission test. That should get the vehicle ready for an emission test.

Edited by Rumesh88

Thanks a lot for all your valuable comments. I'll upload an image of the emission test report.

By the way do you know a good place to have a complete scanning of the engine for error fixing and replace the worn out parts?

How about Kle_ _ n Park @ Ja-Ela for a comprehensive service??

Guys who have previous experiences, pls do share your thoughts!!!

CHEERS :pardon:

• 3 years later...

Need some advice guys, a long story short – I’m using a N16 and it failed the test (First time ever that a car of mine has failed)

I’ve taken it to A*W and they have scanned and said the MAF is OK, replaced plugs & air filter with genuine Nissan parts, cleaned throttle body & Injectors as well.

However I did not do a very aggressive run like some have said, will that help ? The mileage is 180K + and I’ve never replaced the MAF, or throttle sensor.

A*W said all was fine after I gave it to them and it failed again ( Yesterday) so called and blasted them, wanted me to come again – but loaded with work and it’s a challenge.

Any specific place or direction I can take .

1 hour ago, mazdaspeed said:

Need some advice guys, a long story short – I’m using a N16 and it failed the test (First time ever that a car of mine has failed)

I’ve taken it to A*W and they have scanned and said the MAF is OK, replaced plugs & air filter with genuine Nissan parts, cleaned throttle body & Injectors as well.

However I did not do a very aggressive run like some have said, will that help ? The mileage is 180K + and I’ve never replaced the MAF, or throttle sensor.

A*W said all was fine after I gave it to them and it failed again ( Yesterday) so called and blasted them, wanted me to come again – but loaded with work and it’s a challenge.

Since you got the repair done by them, you should probably go back to them with the emissions test report as evidence IMO. Also, what are your CO and HC readings (most recent test) at idle and 2500 RPM? 

4 hours ago, mazdaspeed said:

Did you do the Emission test at the same place on second time? if you did the emission test at Drive green, try to do it in a Laughs eco place. friend of mines 2016 Hilux (Brand New) failed at Drive green (Quite strange), but passed at Laughs Eco sri without any issue (Could be due to their testing tool malfunction or something else). on the other note, did you got a CEL? bit strange you failed the emission test without throwing a CEL.

Edited by Ruslan

Our next door swift(jeep model) also failed the eco test due to a faulty oxygen sensor.The oxygen senson was replaced previously by a place in Maspotha(near Kurunegala) where they totally destroyed the treads of the sensor due to careless work.The sensor was replaced by welding a nut over the slot and inserting a new sensor through the nut???.After few days the check engine bulb lit up.But the owner did not care for it about an year.After failing the eco test a few days ago,he went to A**o W*rld Kurunegala.They had said after scaning that there are many faults.So they had cleaned the throttle and plugs.Again the car failed the eco test.Finally the owner had to take it to a local makabas.He replaced the sensor and the car passed the test.What's funny is that the faulty sensor was a Toyota???.

On 5/14/2017 at 7:18 AM, mazdaspeed said:

There is a Non Mitsubishi section in Unit#d Mot#rs . u could take your car there and get this sorted out. Since they have their own emmision test equipment you wouldn't have to just rely on the words of who ever fixed it saying that the issue is fixed without any guarantees.

On 5/14/2017 at 7:18 AM, mazdaspeed said:

That's what you get for betraying zoom zoom :P

Did you test it when the car was cold? If so the engine needs some time to switch to closed loop, you don't need to do a run like mentioned above. Just keep the car running for 10 mins and a driving to the eco test place should be enough. 

How much time do you have left to renew revenue license? 

Personally I have found out that most of the agents just blindly advice to do tuneups, it seems to be the kotthamalli of the car agents world. 

Take the car to dhammika in cotta road. He will read all the sensor readings one by one and give you the status. Btw dhammika also can test your emissions, he has the tools. 

Edited by The Stig

• 1 month later...

@ajmYou can skip it as long as the vehicle remain unused. However you have to pay a 10% fine when you renew the licence if the delay is less than 6 months or 20% if you exceed 6 months, unless you obtain a notice of non-user from the licencing authority (how to get it I do not know). Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Rumesh88

6 hours ago, Rumesh88 said:

You can skip it as long as the vehicle remain unused.

@Rumesh88you mean the emission test or the renewal of license?

background is a misfire due to one faulty injector,but the part will not arrive until a few weeks.license will be expired but I need the car for short trips.

is there a way to delay the emission test and not get trouble from Police for expired license since the car is used for short runs? Or renew the license now on a temporary guarantee that the emission will be done in 2months? The emission people always ask if an engine repairs had been done recently,what will happen if you say yes,they give you some time until the new engine is properly breaked-in?

Edited by ajm

5 hours ago, ajm said:

background is a misfire due to one faulty injector,but the part will not arrive until a few weeks.license will be expired but I need the car for short trips.

is there a way to delay the emission test and not get trouble from Police for expired license since the car is used for short runs? Or renew the license now on a temporary guarantee that the emission will be done in 2months? The emission people always ask if an engine repairs had been done recently,what will happen if you say yes,they give you some time until the new engine is properly breaked-in?

Answer to your last question:

"If the owner of the vehicle confirms that the engine of a vehicle has been repaired, a receipt  is issued by charging the annual revenue licence fee so that the vehicle could be run on the condition of completing 2000 kilometres forward from the number of kilometrers depicted on the milometer of the vehicle or 02 months forward from the date of repair of the engine, whichever comes first. Once that condition has been met the owner of the vehicle should  obtain the revenue licence by producing the vehicle emission certificate."

Source: http://www.motortraffic.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=123&Itemid=149&lang=en

I doubt a faulty injector and the fact that you drive short runs are proper excuses to be exempted from doing an emissions test. Shot journey or not, your car is still not suitable to be driven with a faulty injector. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Davy said:

the vehicle could be run on the condition of completing 2000 kilometres forward from the number of kilometrers depicted on the milometer of the vehicle or 02 months forward from the date of repair of the engine, whichever comes first.

ok,thanks. 

That means we have to get some gowernment servant working in the License office to come out and take the odometers current km  reading? That would be extremely difficult and pigs would fly  :-)

On 6/22/2017 at 9:58 PM, ajm said:

@ajm I meant the renewal of license. I guess I misunderstood your query.

You can get what you want done from most (not all, to be fair) government servants but only if you know how. Once a guy was even bold enough to give me a rate table :huh:.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi petrol heads.

It was time for revenue license renewal this year after the pandemic. Guess what the bloody N 16 failed again.  The good part is I was able to get a detailed picture on how to address the issue so here goes.

In my case, I had replaced the Airflow sensor , new plugs, cleaned injectors and throttle body, Cleaned radiator tan and replaced water pump (Old one was busted ), replaced  throttle position sensor.

Before going for the test, do your general checks :

Clean the airflow sensor & replace or clean the Air filter

Check the plugs

A throttle body clean would also be good if not done for a long time including an injector clean

If there is a lot of carbon in the tail pipe, Hose it down with a pressure wash hose.

The N16 does not come with an oxygen sensor – God knows why Nissan left it out in a 2007 manufactured vehicle.

Hence the air to fuel mixture ration is adjusted though a valve – This is located in the left side of the fuse box marked as CO- a tiny thing that can be adjusted with a small plat pin. Lower and adjust that and you pass the Emission test.

My story :

After replacing almost the entire engine parts, and also connecting the scanner to check on the cars which said all values were all correct. ( I had a high temperature shown and later found out that my water pump had nothing left as it has corroded and got stuck in my radiator)

At the test place in Bellanthara Junc, the young chap advised me to control it though the valve. I called my mechanic (On speaker phone with the emission test chap) and he said that all the values on the computer were correct. The emission guy replied saying to further reduce it , which my mechanic did and the next day it passed without any issue.

Also make sure you follow the flowing steps before going to the test :

-          Run the car till it’s properly heated up – and I mean till the fans kick in

-          At the test site, do not switch off the engine and keep it running

-          Do not have the AC on either

Hope this helps and good luck

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mazdaspeed said:

Hi petrol heads.

It was time for revenue license renewal this year after the pandemic. Guess what the bloody N 16 failed again.  The good part is I was able to get a detailed picture on how to address the issue so here goes.

In my case, I had replaced the Airflow sensor , new plugs, cleaned injectors and throttle body, Cleaned radiator tan and replaced water pump (Old one was busted ), replaced  throttle position sensor.

Before going for the test, do your general checks :

Clean the airflow sensor & replace or clean the Air filter

Check the plugs

A throttle body clean would also be good if not done for a long time including an injector clean

If there is a lot of carbon in the tail pipe, Hose it down with a pressure wash hose.

The N16 does not come with an oxygen sensor – God knows why Nissan left it out in a 2007 manufactured vehicle.

Hence the air to fuel mixture ration is adjusted though a valve – This is located in the left side of the fuse box marked as CO- a tiny thing that can be adjusted with a small plat pin. Lower and adjust that and you pass the Emission test.

My story :

After replacing almost the entire engine parts, and also connecting the scanner to check on the cars which said all values were all correct. ( I had a high temperature shown and later found out that my water pump had nothing left as it has corroded and got stuck in my radiator)

At the test place in Bellanthara Junc, the young chap advised me to control it though the valve. I called my mechanic (On speaker phone with the emission test chap) and he said that all the values on the computer were correct. The emission guy replied saying to further reduce it , which my mechanic did and the next day it passed without any issue.

Also make sure you follow the flowing steps before going to the test :

-          Run the car till it’s properly heated up – and I mean till the fans kick in

-          At the test site, do not switch off the engine and keep it running

-          Do not have the AC on either

Hope this helps and good luck

I don't know the rationale behind, but the brand new imported N16 seems to lack the Oxygen sensor and comes with that CO pot which could be used to adjust CO volume, the reconditioned ones come with the proper ECU controlled induction system. 

One thing though, did you replace the MAF with a brand new one? I've had nightmares with used MAFs from reconditioned parts joints and my emissions issues was only resolved with a brand new one. The 18 year old original MAF the car came with had issues with responding to air volume changes, it would take about 10 - 20 seconds to drop the voltage to correct values when you let go off the accelerator. This lazyness was even worse with reconditioned MAFs