• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Crv Or ???

Nishan.dj

Question

Hello experts,

I am looking for a vehicle preferably a SUV (Which we normally call Jeep.) that suits me for the following reasons.

1. Long distance travel on weekends (Around 400kms)

2. May be petrol but it has to be economical (Therefore not thinking about X-Trail as I heard it runs only 6km per ltr)

3. Maintainability (ability to find spare parts ...etc bit easier)

4. Auto is better but I am not stick in to that. Therefore even Manual does not matter.

Just saw a Honda CRV 2000 that the price was 2.5 Million which had some issues that they have removed the 4WD shaft (I was told that it saves some fuel but I really do not know that.), problems on some door locks, ABS sensor out etc. Is a CRV full-time 4WD or (AWD) and what do I need to check when looking for next time?

Kindly post anything that you think is worth to know. Thanks so much in advance.

3 answers to this question

Hello experts,

I am looking for a vehicle preferably a SUV (Which we normally call Jeep.) that suits me for the following reasons.

1. Long distance travel on weekends (Around 400kms)

2. May be petrol but it has to be economical (Therefore not thinking about X-Trail as I heard it runs only 6km per ltr)

3. Maintainability (ability to find spare parts ...etc bit easier)

4. Auto is better but I am not stick in to that. Therefore even Manual does not matter.

Just saw a Honda CRV 2000 that the price was 2.5 Million which had some issues that they have removed the 4WD shaft (I was told that it saves some fuel but I really do not know that.), problems on some door locks, ABS sensor out etc. Is a CRV full-time 4WD or (AWD) and what do I need to check when looking for next time?

Kindly post anything that you think is worth to know. Thanks so much in advance.

2000 CR-V is it a RD-1 ? The whole removing the four wheel drive to save fuel on these things is more talk than actual practicality....the AWD system is a Real-Time system where the back wheels work only when the front wheels are slipping, thus only when it needs to. Because of all the torque sensors and electro-magnetic difflocks and other mechanisms with funky words involved in the whole rear wheel activation process you can actually screw up the car by just yanking out the shaft and/the diff....so I wouldsay either go for a 2WD or just go for one that still has its AWD system un-raped.

Had a RD-1 sometime back and it was a fun little baby off-roader. Only thing I would say to look out for is the rear diff. Make sure it works...it could have been screwed up and non-operational if not serviced at the required time.

My one developed a very very slight whine when the AWD kicked in which lasted for about 3 or 4 seconds. After doing some research the differential oil had to be replaced and I had to use Honda's proprietary oil which was some funky synthetic blend. This was in about 2004 and at that time there were no other brands that had the same spec oil...not sure about these days though. Bought it at Stafford and it was not TOO bad...maintenance guide says the oil needs to be replaced at 75000 kms but I had to replace it at 56000 (it goes to show it depends on usage and not just strictly mileage). Subsequently,I got to know quite a few people who used third party diff oils and screwed up the rear diff. Dad's RD-5 also required the same thing...he now has a RE series and well..still is too new for it to be replaced.

Signs that the diff needs an oil change/work is that it makes a whinning noise when the back wheels get power. So go to a gravel/slippery road surface and punch on the gas to get the back wheels to spin and listen to a whine from the rear wheel. It will come and then go off....you can also try doing a close circle to hear the whine.

Other than that can't remember of any other issues with it....(both the RD1 and RD5) typical Honda build up...if well taken care of then it should be quite okay

Edited by iRage

2000 CR-V is it a RD-1 ?

Yes

I wouldsay either go for a 2WD or just go for one that still has its AWD system un-raped.
Are there 2WD CRV? I really don't need a 4WD. My requirement is that the vehicle should have a good ground clearance as I do not want to think many times before turning in to a road from the main road. You probably know the reality of Sri Lankan roads out of Colombo ;)
Only thing I would say to look out for is the rear diff. Make sure it works...it could have been screwed up and non-operational if not serviced at the required time.

My one developed a very very slight whine when the AWD kicked in which lasted for about 3 or 4 seconds. After doing some research the differential oil had to be replaced and I had to use Honda's proprietary oil which was some funky synthetic blend.

Please check your inbox. Also is it possible that I can easily test such things without a mechanic?

Signs that the diff needs an oil change/work is that it makes a whinning noise when the back wheels get power. So go to a gravel/slippery road surface and punch on the gas to get the back wheels to spin and listen to a whine from the rear wheel. It will come and then go off....you can also try doing a close circle to hear the whine.

Are there any dash board indicators that will show when real wheels get power?

Thanks so much for replying and really appreciate it.

Yes there is 2WD CR-V

RD1 = AWD

RD2 = Front wheel drive

Uhh...well you should be able to figure somethings out without a mechanic..especially a whine that sounds like a moaning animal in the back :) but don't you have a friend you can take along with you ? then after you do a preliminary selection you can take it to a mechanic when you are almost ready to buy...

Uhh....no..It has been quite long time I can't exactly remember...but I don't think there was an indicator light for the AWD in the RD-1 (same with RD5 and RE)

Typically AWD systems of "this" type do not have a light to indicate everytime the rear wheels get power. Some vehicles with these types of AWD came with center diff locks (like some RAV4s) where there is a light to indicate the center diff being locked but that is about it; and some like the X-Trail, where you can manually select the 4WD mode there is a light to indicate the mode that is selected. If and when there was a light for these "Real-time/Auto I know best" kind of AWD systems the light only turns on when the AWD system initializes as you start-up the car (ie..when you turn on the key the light comes on as the AWD system powers up); once the initialization finishes the light goes off. the light only comes or stays on if there was a problem initializing everything or when it detects/senses an error (eg: either because large wheel rotation difference, high temprature or one of the electronic components stopped powering up or failed to respond,etc...)