• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

dpbatagoda

Question

I recently brought brand name "ADVICS" and it lasted around 20,000Km for Hiace KDH van, the dealer said that even Genuine brake pads of KDH van will last only 20,000Kms.

Is that the normal mileage for brake pads?

Edited by Davy
Corrected topic title grammar

11 answers to this question

20-25k seems normal especially on an Auto. Having said that driving style will also make a significant difference. More sedate driving could make your brake pads last longer and will also improve the fuel economy.

I have been told that certain brake pads from third party last longer but may be with lesser breaking performance and as this could be a matter of life and death I would certainly not encourage anyone to compromise on the brakes.

• Like 1

There is one more point that decides the life of a genuine OEM brake pad in normal use. You may have noticed quite a few vehicles on the road with black soot-like deposits on the front wheel rim (Front, because majority of the vehicles are fitted with front disc brakes). This is a sign of excessive brake wear mainly due to restricted piston movement or slide pin movement preventing the pads from completely disengaging from the disc once the brake is released. Usually, the rubber boot which prevents dust and water seeping into the space between the piston and the caliper housing gives in after a few years, resulting in rust formation and dust accumulation in this area. If this is the case you need to do an overhaul of the caliper replacing the rubber boots (piston and slide pin) and the rubber seal inside the caliper.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 3

There is one more point that decides the life of a genuine OEM brake pad in normal use. You may have noticed quite a few vehicles on the road with black soot-like deposits on the front wheel rim (Front, because majority of the vehicles are fitted with front disc brakes). This is a sign of excessive brake wear mainly due to restricted piston movement or slide pin movement preventing the pads from completely disengaging from the disc once the brake is released. Usually, the rubber boot which prevents dust and water seeping into the space between the piston and the caliper housing gives in after a few years, resulting in rust formation and dust accumulation in this area. If this is the case you need to do an overhaul of the caliper replacing the rubber boots (piston and slide pin) and the rubber seal inside the caliper.

I don’t fully agree, of cause if the brake pads are sticking to the disk this could happen.

But also one should be aware that the brake pads are supposed to wear and generally after a long journey you will notice brake dust in your wheels.

If you use inferior pads you will wear off the disks and also might experience brake fade.

I don’t fully agree, of cause if the brake pads are sticking to the disk this could happen.

But also one should be aware that the brake pads are supposed to wear and generally after a long journey you will notice brake dust in your wheels.

If you use inferior pads you will wear off the disks and also might experience brake fade.

I was referring to OEM pads in normal usage. Of course after a long journey or a race drive you may find brake dust on disc brake wheels. If the piston and/or the slide pin cannot move freely it results in excessive pad wear and may even end up in brake binding.

4 hours ago, gNaveendra said:

Advertising is prohibited in this forum. Refrain from posting sale advertisement.

Also you revived a 5 year old thread. Not appreciated!

Thank you. When you see posts like this, please use the "report" button to report them instead of responding to the thread. That way moderators are notified and they can deal with the issue immediately. Thanks again. 

While the dead was awaken i might as well tell my experience.

I was able to run around 70 000km with a set of pads in both montero and santafe. Recently ive deveated from the sedate driving style but still the ones on are 50 000km into its life and have a good amount of meat left on them.