• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Eva! My Journey With An E36

Octanehead

Okay did more research into the BMW business radio retro fit. As much as it look fantastic in the car, I will not only lose USB and mp3 playback but also the ability to run my Rodek amp. Which is saddening, so considering something in the likes of Becker or Nakamichi head unit which looks 90s and is also orange back lit to match the rest of the dashboard. Sadly most of them dont have pre-outs for an amp plug in either :sad-smiley-066:

Edited by Octanehead

Okay did more research into the BMW business radio retro fit. As much as it look fantastic in the car, I will not only lose USB and mp3 playback but also the ability to run my Rodek amp. Which is saddening, so considering something in the likes of Becker or Nakamichi head unit which looks 90s and is also orange back lit to match the rest of the dashboard. Sadly most of them dont have pre-outs for an amp plug in either :sad-smiley-066:

Was reading for the e34 and saw that you can fit a business cd43 unit and get a a aux out from the cd changer. It will look like it came out like that :)

Not sure about the amp tho!

On a slightly different note, on build threads like these i think it'll be great if the OP can mention where/how the parts were sourced and share the contact details of the service providers used. This will no doubt immensely help others eyeing similar projects.

oh btw car looks great OH!

On a slightly different note, on build threads like these i think it'll be great if the OP can mention where/how the parts were sourced and share the contact details of the service providers used. This will no doubt immensely help others eyeing similar projects.

oh btw car looks great OH!

Ebay and my friend Sanjay!

• 1 year later...

Wow my last post here was in 2015! A lot has changed since then :D

So far up to now. 

The car has been full repainted with M tec kit installed

Digital AC conversion was done

Engine top overhaul was performed too

325i Brake conversion installed for front and rear 

Car has been lowered with lowering springs 

New exhaust mounts were fitted, since the old ones were sagging. 

Fitted a roof spoiler and head lamp eye lids and a few other cosmetic items just to spruce it up!

Awaiting to do the interior now! 

IMG_7498.jpg

IMG_5508.JPG

IMG_8947.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Octanehead said:

Wow my last post here was in 2015! A lot has changed since then :D

So far up to now. 

The car has been full repainted with M tec kit installed

Digital AC conversion was done

Engine top overhaul was performed too

325i Brake conversion installed for front and rear 

Car has been lowered with lowering springs 

New exhaust mounts were fitted, since the old ones were sagging. 

Fitted a roof spoiler and head lamp eye lids and a few other cosmetic items just to spruce it up!

Awaiting to do the interior now! 

IMG_7498.jpg

IMG_5508.JPG

IMG_8947.JPG

woaahhh Nice bro!!!

Since this thread hasn't been updated in a long time let me bring you guys up to speed!

Shall start with the interior, its not 100% but a lot of minor things have been done !

Since the car was completely stripped out, managed to pull the carpet out and dye it BLACK. It was a dull grey and it was looking past it, slapped 10,000 bucks for a 5 litre can of Carpet dye and did it myself! WELL WORTH IT 

No automatic alt text available.

Redid the hood lining to match as well, in a fabric very similar to the ones offered by BMW themselves

Upgraded the Stereo, not the fanciest but now running Infinity components in front and 6x9s at the back. Was lucky to source an adapter for the rear that converts the standard 4 inch speaker mounts to work with 6x9s. No need to cut and hack the parcel shelf! 

The biggest step up for me was converting the Non original AC to factory spec digital climate control! 

Since this is a UK car, it only came with a heater which was converted to AC locally. It never worked. So threw that rubbish away and got down all the bits required to convert to a fully functioning BMW ac system. This included the cooler box, the fans, the condenser, the compressor, receiver drier unit, piping, control panel and re did the wiring to work to factory specifications. 

Got new chrome rings for the gauges

and some aluminum pedal covers. 

Also got the M Tec II steering wheel restitched and re wrapped in leather. Keen eyes will notice I got the stitches in the M colors, was an official optional extra from BMW back in the day.

A friend was good enough to donate a genuine M gear knob which is slightly shorter than the standard one, which has improved shifts and shift feel immensely. Oh forgot to mention that I installed a short shift kit as well! 

Image may contain: car

• Like 1

Not the most exciting engine bay but its clean

Image may contain: car

sadly let down by a nasty Bonnet underlining. 25k for a brand new one, but I was so lucky, the guys who look after my car had a used one and insisted I take it for a price I couldn't refuse! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Eva looking quite smart Octanehead...!  So good to see things getting sorted properly..!

Quick question, may I know how/where you got the M Tec II re-wrapped?  Good condition M Tec II prices have gone through the roof these days (especially the ones that fit E30s, not exactly sure whether E36 ones are the same). I`ve got an E30 with a M Tec I, been thinking about getting a M Tec II. But if i can get one re-wrapped in SL for a reasonable price, i might just find a crappy one and ship it over. 

On 4/5/2017 at 6:02 AM, MrCat said:

Eva looking quite smart Octanehead...!  So good to see things getting sorted properly..!

Quick question, may I know how/where you got the M Tec II re-wrapped?  Good condition M Tec II prices have gone through the roof these days (especially the ones that fit E30s, not exactly sure whether E36 ones are the same). I`ve got an E30 with a M Tec I, been thinking about getting a M Tec II. But if i can get one re-wrapped in SL for a reasonable price, i might just find a crappy one and ship it over. 

I will PM you the contact 

• 3 weeks later...

Did a few things over the weekend. Managed to get a 8 button OBC and got that connected up. Made a massive difference to the interior as the original analog clocked looked totally out of place. I havent connected up the check control yet as that needs more sensors and extra wiring. 

• Like 2

Replaced my sunroof beading as well as the previous one was fouled up with compound residue and it started to pop out a bit. Looks super duper now! Managed to get some heated mirrors fitted as well. Yet to find out if they work though :P

Image may contain: tree, car, outdoor and nature

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Just realised that I havent updated this thread in many months, And that most of my pics don't seem to be showing up :(

Anws, briefly put. I ditched the Lowering springs and installed D2 fully adjustable coil overs! <3 22281323_10212291580219424_141989050_o.thumb.jpg.cb0f3d808a2b284c278968cb3a5ed961.jpg

Edited by Octanehead