• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan Sunny Fb15 (New Shell) Modification

Charith H Jayasinghe

Question

*Hi I'm new to Auto Lanka.com,

*This is regarding to your opinions, experience, photos of modifying a Nissan UA FB15 (New Shell) sunny.

* Why I posting this is, I recently bought above mentioned car as my first car. I think my home town area influenced Me to go for that. Wanted to make it looks exotic (not sporty) but most of fb15 out there are kept in stock (default) appearance. So far the advices I got is to keep the car same even without change the rim cup.

* Therefore most of thing what I've done so far aim mainly interior and small exterior changes.

Pioneer sub woofer, replaced other speakers,

Display with blutooth with reverse camera,

3M tint with windscreen,

Seat covers (only to protect originals plan to add good one later after all finis),

Replaced Interior and front park light with white LED,

Head light protecting tint,

HID headlights,

LED strip fixed to illuminate front middle floor of bumper(bulbs can't be seen out side)

Future plans (wherever your opinions are needed to make it looks nice instead of kill)

Projector head lamps with day time running lights (komi is helping me with this)

Hid fog lights with ccfl halo rings

Alloy wheels ( This is the most difficult part to choose)

Spoiler (This is also too difficult to select, please upload photos if you can)

What would you do if you had this type car? Please your opinions are highly appreciated.

Edited by Charith H Jayasinghe

Hmm..what would I do if I had a Sunny....well I like to keep cars in a stock form or even if any modifications were done try to keep them subtle such that it would look like something that came out of the factory and keep it in tune with the purpose/idea of the car...basically try not to make it something that it is not...(e. a Sunny Super Saloon is not a high performance car not intended for track days etc so not stick things that are purposeful for track runs...)...DEFINETLY not stick on those huge A$# body kits...

Well it is a Sunny (a Super Saloon?)...out of the above I would probably go for:

- Alloys...but again something subtle...the original Sunny ones if I can or something that is not overly bling

- A GOOD set of tires to go with the alloys...

- Projector headlights for its practicality (but do you really need DRLs ?)

- A decent stereo/HDD/reverse cam <whatever head unit>

- Front driving lights only if I can find an original unit from a bone yard

- Maybe..just maybe.. I have seen some thin side skirting and the front/rear lip that I liked not sure if it was a dealer option but it was subtle but changed the stance of the car...

As for the other stuff...I personally would save the money for maintenance and pamper the baby instead :)

Now..on the other hand to be extreme...I progressively would go towards building a factory spec VZ-R out of it which would include from doing up the body and interior parts accordingly; suspension all the way to swapping in a SR16 in there...kind of like Komi's Integra transformation but with a Sunny :)

Asking for peoples' opinion is a good source for ideas; but hey...do whatever makes you happy dude ! If you like it go ahead and paint it bright monkey pink and be proud with it...just don't modify it to such an extreme that it spoils the car and is completely irreversible...cause who knows..maybe in about 25-30 years time our kids might be looking for factory spec (or prestine) units to restore and keep as a JDM classic much as what we are doing with Sunnys and Corollas of the days gone gone by...

Edited by iRage
  • Like 3

Hmm..what would I do if I had a Sunny....well I like to keep cars in a stock form or even if any modifications were done try to keep them subtle such that it would look like something that came out of the factory and keep it in tune with the purpose/idea of the car...basically try not to make it something that it is not...(e. a Sunny Super Saloon is not a high performance car not intended for track days etc so not stick things that are purposeful for track runs...)...DEFINETLY not stick on those huge A$# body kits...

Well it is a Sunny (a Super Saloon?).. Yes .out of the above I would probably go for:

- Alloys...but again something subtle...the original Sunny ones if I can or something that is not overly bling

What's the the design you will choose? if can upload a pic or give link.

- A GOOD set of tires to go with the alloys... What you prefer? Is it about brand or size.? It has 14 inch

- Projector headlights for its practicality (but do you really need DRLs ?)

Simply it looks good and nowadays most projectors are come with DRLs I think

- A decent stereo/HDD/reverse cam

- Front driving lights only if I can find an original unit from a bone yard

How about change bulb original to new one with halo ring? How will it affects?

- Maybe..just maybe.. I have seen some thin side skirting and the front/rear lip :smilie_liebe9:

that I liked not sure if it was a dealer option but it was subtle but changed the stance of the car...

As for the other stuff...I personally would save the money for maintenance and pamper the baby instead :)

Now..on the other hand to be extreme...I progressively would go towards building a factory spec VZ-R out of it which would include from doing up the body and interior parts accordingly; suspension all the way to swapping in a SR16 in there...kind of like Komi's Integra transformation but with a Sunny :)

Still lot to be learnt regarding performance

Asking for peoples' opinion is a good source for ideas; but hey...do whatever makes you happy dude !

:drinks:yes 100% and people say it looks good that'll makes me happy too...

If you like it go ahead and paint it bright monkey pink and be proud with it...just don't modify it to such an extreme that it spoils the car and is completely irreversible...cause who knows..maybe in about 25-30 years time our kids might be looking for factory spec (or prestine) units to restore and keep as a JDM classic much as what we are doing with Sunnys and Corollas of the days gone gone by... Agree

Thanks ultimately.

I will keep any modification very subtle as the Sunny is not quite a performance car, or was it ever meant to be sporty, so best keep things in good taste and not too obvious.

Personally I would put a good set of alloys and tyres, install a good head unit and speakers, get the engine serviced and detailed and perhaps decarbonised so you are extracting all the performance you can from it and kind of leave it there.

i can't think of a good spoiler design for the back of a sunny unfortunately as I can't remember if Nissan ever put one on this model of Sunny. Also spoilers can ruin backs as well as make them look nice and I can honestly tell you sometimes its not worth the hassle, because particularly when you install them after market they don't fit properly and you get water leaking into the boot!

Yes...the standard wheel size was 14"...the facelift version apparently was offered with a 15" alloy wheel as an option...I think one of the dealer options was a unit that looked exactly like the standard wheel cover..alternatively people have also had:

p1.jpg?ct=62c6790ad747

Apparently the same was used in the Primera....personally I would go for something like that if I plan to keep the Super Saloon as a Super Saloon...not sporty but kind of like a nice pair of shoes to match your tuxedo kind of thing...

Some other Nissan wheels I have seen on them are what comes with the VZ-R (1st pic below), a basic sporty wheel (2nd pic below) and some that looks like an AUTECH wheel for Wingroads...(second pic below...but a little bit too sporty for me for a SSaloon...)

p1.jpg?ct=df2e68f71add

BF120505_10.jpg

201304132128246df.jpg

As for tires...look in to a good brand like Michellin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, etc...and a model-line with a good thread pattern, composition etc...sometimes a tire like that may seem over kill but you kind of feel a huge difference when you are driving on different surfaces especially watery ones and such... to be quite honest the last time I had a "sedan" was 10 years ago and looked in to tires probably 12 years ago ! So I have no idea what is out there in the market for passenger cars these days...maybe some one else can advise you on specific brand/models ?

• Like 1

I will keep any modification very subtle as the Sunny is not quite a performance car, or was it ever meant to be sporty, so best keep things in good taste and not too obvious.

Personally I would put a good set of alloys and tyres, install a good head unit and speakers, get the engine serviced and detailed and perhaps decarbonised so you are extracting all the performance you can from it and kind of leave it there.

i can't think of a good spoiler design for the back of a sunny unfortunately as I can't remember if Nissan ever put one on this model of Sunny. Also spoilers can ruin backs as well as make them look nice and I can honestly tell you sometimes its not worth the hassle, because particularly when you install them after market they don't fit properly and you get water leaking into the boot!

Yes Don

Recently done less than 8000 km back

Both lower arms

Front shocks

Tie rod

Even new radiator core replaced.

New spark plugs replaced, LFR 5A (using octane 95)

Fuel filter replaced

And 3000 km back

Fuel pump motor replaced,

MAF Sensor replaced

Engine mount replaced,

AC Belts replaced

Now ODO 94500km

Other plan is to shift to fully synthetic from next service (Last time didn't do because some of some controversial documents on the Web of course I didn't have full access to AutoLanka.com. Now I feel better because now I can go for engine flush... Service, decarbonisation ( don't know much about, reading these days) before change for it. I'll get your advices after reading bit.

Thanks Don

Yes...the standard wheel size was 14"...the facelift version apparently was offered with a 15" alloy wheel as an option...I think one of the dealer options was a unit that looked exactly like the standard wheel cover..alternatively people have also had:

[img=http://cdn.mkimg.carview.co.jp/minkara/parts/000/004/530/223/4530223/p1.jpg?ct=62c6790ad747]

Apparently the same was used in the Primera....personally I would go for something like that if I plan to keep the Super Saloon as a Super Saloon...not sporty but kind of like a nice pair of shoes to match your tuxedo kind of thing...

Some other Nissan wheels I have seen on them are what comes with the VZ-R (1st pic below), a basic sporty wheel (2nd pic below) and some that looks like an AUTECH wheel for Wingroads...(second pic below...but a little bit too sporty for me for a SSaloon...)

[img=http://cdn.mkimg.carview.co.jp/carlife/images/UserCarPat/1377964/p1.jpg?ct=df2e68f71add]

Thanks iRage that VZ-R one looks so good and the above one too....

Yes Don

Recently done less than 8000 km back

Both lower arms

Front shocks

Tie rod

Even new radiator core replaced.

New spark plugs replaced, LFR 5A (using octane 95)

Fuel filter replaced

And 3000 km back

Fuel pump motor replaced,

MAF Sensor replaced

Engine mount replaced,

AC Belts replaced

Now ODO 94500km

Other plan is to shift to fully synthetic from next service (Last time didn't do because some of some controversial documents on the Web of course I didn't have full access to AutoLanka.com. Now I feel better because now I can go for engine flush... Service, decarbonisation ( don't know much about, reading these days) before change for it. I'll get your advices after reading bit.

Thanks Don

Only switch to synthetic if you use the car regularly. Else there isn't much benefit because you have to change oil around the 6-7K km mark anyway to avoid chemical breakdown of the oil causing sludge. The oil marketing companies will tell you the oils can do 20K miles but if it was my car I won't take the risk and cleaning out sludge requires you to disassemble the engine.

Also don't use chemical engine flush. Causes more problems than solutions in older engines.

Without dismantling you can only complete de carbonise the intake manifold, throttle body etc but its worthwhile doing. You can use chemicals to clean the injectors as well and some products promises to decarbonise the engine as well.

Only switch to synthetic if you use the car regularly. Else there isn't much benefit because you have to change oil around the 6-7K km mark anyway to7 avoid chemical breakdown of the oil causing sludge. The oil marketing companies will tell you the oils can do 20K miles but if it was my car I won't take the risk and cleaning out sludge requires you to disassemble the engine.

Also don't use chemical engine flush. Causes more problems than solutions in older engines.

Without dismantling you can only complete de carbonise the intake manifold, throttle body etc but its worthwhile doing. You can use chemicals to clean the injectors as well and some products promises to decarbonise the engine as well.

Don, yes I red through your other articles, I won't go for flushing. I think Decarbonisation and throttle body also cleaned with MAF replacement. Also i changed Break oil and ATF(with sump plate removing)

I'm not doing daily driving but only on my vacation once a month. In that I'm doing long trips (Total around 800 km) At the moment I'm using Mobil supper 1000x2 (mineral) last time I changed at 4500km, so what would you do? (I mean if you change full synthetic at 7k what for mineral) and viscosity is 15w40 (don't know for how long that grade) but manual recommended Mineral oil with 5W30 (preferred) and 10W30 & 10W40, true I've red your articles but please tell me what would you do? Cause I wanna make it to run optimum cause she's my first one. So I go for all necessary things as I'm not a regular user and so it won't hardly impact on my budget. Please comment.

Don, yes I red through your other articles, I won't go for flushing. I think Decarbonisation and throttle body also cleaned with MAF replacement. Also i changed Break oil and ATF(with sump plate removing)

I'm not doing daily driving but only on my vacation once a month. In that I'm doing long trips (Total around 800 km) At the moment I'm using Mobil supper 1000x2 (mineral) last time I changed at 4500km, so what would you do? (I mean if you change full synthetic at 7k what for mineral) and viscosity is 15w40 (don't know for how long that grade) but manual recommended Mineral oil with 5W30 (preferred) and 10W30 & 10W40, true I've red your articles but please tell me what would you do? Cause I wanna make it to run optimum cause she's my first one. So I go for all necessary things as I'm not a regular user and so it won't hardly impact on my budget. Please comment.

If you are only using the car occasionally stick to Mobil Super 1000 or any other good quality mineral or synthetic oil and change oil every 6-12 months (if you do under 2000 a year, its ok to change it annually). Mineral oil seem to be more resilient to chemical break down. Use 10-15W40.

Can anyone suggest to buy place in to buy alloy wheels in Colombo(I'm not from Colombo) as I'm planning to do both alloy and HID projectors on same day. Please send a message at least if you cannot post here.

I recommend Amila tyres Hill street Dehiwala. The prices are reasonable and they have a collection of new and reconditioned sets, and when I say reconditioned, they have repaired and repainted them so they look brand new.

Before and after tint...

Before....

9387254910_5846ea5d49_m.jpg9384477553_33dd7a5dd5_m.jpg

After....

9387256704_3dd9d3ed0e_m.jpg9384479187_2825086ec2_m.jpg9387256374_62e509c2ab_m.jpg

true it looks similar but previous one fully dark double layered tint.very badly applied with air bubbles. New one good actually. cont.....

p1.jpg?ct=62c6790ad747

p1.jpg?ct=df2e68f71add

BF120505_10.jpg

201304132128246df.jpg

As for tires...look in to a good brand like Michellin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, etc...and a model-line with a good thread pattern, composition etc...sometimes a tire like that may seem over kill but you kind of feel a huge difference when you are driving on different surfaces especially watery ones and such... to be quite honest the last time I had a "sedan" was 10 years ago and looked in to tires probably 12 years ago ! So I have no idea what is out there in the market for passenger cars these days...maybe some one else can advise you on specific brand/models ?

hev you find the alloys which similar to pic 2 & 3 ?? i too looking for same.