• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project Capri

Hoonigan

Question

Hi all,

So I've been trying to find a Capri for some time now but haven't really been very successful.

I'm trying to do a resto-mod and I have a few very specific things I want to do to it. So an abandoned car that needs body work, paint, interior work etc fits the bill perfectly. I don't really care if it's running or not either.

The few I found were recently restored or 'modified' and asking prices were a bit on the high side and I would anyway have to roll back some of the work already done on them and this would make me overshoot my budget by a mile.

Basically, I'm looking for a Ford Capri (preferably MK1) in shabby condition for around 3-500K (not set in stone,maybe a bit more depending on the condition) If any of you gents know about one close to what I've mentioned above, please be kind enough to drop me a PM. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Nice wheels & tyres Hoonigan ! Kapruka no longer brings down tyres. I missed my chance.

Too bad dude, I'd have to find a different source in the future as well.

Nice !!!

Moaaaaaar updates please?
Someone did the job for him on facebook. Bloody paparazzo...

LOL guys :D

@OH, nothing much since my last post dude. The front wheel arch didn't turn out as I expected so trying to sort that out these days. The tire height appears to be too small among a few other issues so might even have to find some rubber with a taller sidewall. I really hope they sort out the arches, otherwise I might have to hold all of the body work until I'm physically sitting next to the guy fabricating it.

Damn...those arches are going to give it an awesome look from behind :)

wa2002_zpsc5f5e5ee.jpg

Good point iRage, that would definitely clean it up a bit but saving that body line would skew the arch all the way around and make it smaller. This will in turn leave less room for the tyre to travel. The car is unloaded which is why there appears to be a lot of travel left. Once the fuel tank, battery, speakers/subs, seats and spare gets loaded, the tyre will sink into the arch.

The first front arch is being corrected. The thing has been a challenge more than I expected. I wasn't too hip to do them in fiber but I think that would've been the easiest way out.

1408270622472_zpsmbjsid2y.jpg

I have also been buying little tid bits. So far I have found genuine FORD emblems for the boot lid and bonnet (which were missing when I bought the car), Blue silicon HT leads from Accuspark and a 5 panel panoramic rear view mirror (or race mirror). the last one should help with visibility considering the size of the bullet mirrors I bought for the outside.

1408369990983_zpshh8zrkud.jpg

• Like 2

Yes Bro, remember I was considering putting the bodywork on hold. I think this should do. Any tighter and I might have practical issues with clearance.

The angles of those individual mirrors are fixed. It does show you a whole lot of what's behind you. Have to see it mounted to get the full effect but I think it's a good buy so far.

So the fabrication had some bumps along the way. As I have mentioned, it was a bit difficult to get the message across to the tinker as to what I was aiming to achieve with the alterations. To top it off, his continuous absenteeism was also an issue. Roy (owner of the garage) therefore kicked him out and replaced him with another person. And the change had been very rewarding. Not only he did the rest of the arches, he corrected slight errors on the one that was already done.

I wanted to keep the bonnet flat but clearing the engine had become an issue. I was worried to have it cut up by the previous guy but now it seems to be going rather well. The hood is WIP which is why it looks a bit rough around the edges.

temp_zpsahcziacl.jpg

Here you can see the template being done for the lip. And the shape of the vent I had them cut on the front valance. This will be covered with a mesh but I want the mesh to be recessed a bit so there will be a 'lip' about 2-3 inches wide around the inside.

temp_zpssqj3wqal.jpg

• Like 2

The guy did hit the ground running. Primer is being brushed on the seams MD. Some of the pics were taken before that, like the bonnet, which is still being shaped. All the older welds are covered.

Awsome!

I gotta come clean here..lol..I saw your car a couple of times at the garage when I went there with my dad.Don't worry we went for another matter and didn't even talk bout the Capri(I took a good look around tho :) ) ...I suppose the new tinker you're you're talking about is Ranga.Good chap,his father used to work for us.

Edited by MasterDon

Awsome!

I gotta come clean here..lol..I saw your car a couple of times at the garage when I went there with my dad.Don't worry we went for another matter and didn't even talk bout the Capri(I took a good look around tho :) ) ...I suppose the new tinker you're you're talking about is Ranga.Good chap,his father used to work for us.

Yeah I thought you must know the place since it's close to where you live. The tinker is Roy's contact. Hopefully he will wrap things up pretty soon.

Lucky you.. Good tinker is a very rare find.. show me some close-ups of the font lip :)

Sure thing :) it's nothing fancy though, just a simple flat lip.

The first front arch is being corrected. The thing has been a challenge more than I expected. I wasn't too hip to do them in fiber but I think that would've been the easiest way out.

1408270622472_zpsmbjsid2y.jpg

I have also been buying little tid bits. So far I have found genuine FORD emblems for the boot lid and bonnet (which were missing when I bought the car), Blue silicon HT leads from Accuspark and a 5 panel panoramic rear view mirror (or race mirror). the last one should help with visibility considering the size of the bullet mirrors I bought for the outside.

1408369990983_zpshh8zrkud.jpg

Got fascinated by the 5 panel rear view mirror and checked it on youtube and then ebay but the prices seem steep for an item of that finish. The min being approx USD40 + Shipping at around USD130!!!

Tried searching at length but couldn't locate one for cheaper...

Do you mind sharing the price you paid and the online link? Would love to get my hands on one...

Also did it arrive in proper condition via post? I've never ordered an item of such dimensions before and doubt if our postal guys would handle it proper...

Edited by SanjeevMahen

Got fascinated by the 5 panel rear view mirror and checked it on youtube and then ebay but the prices seem steep for an item of that finish. The min being approx USD40 + Shipping at around USD130!!!

Tried searching at length but couldn't locate one for cheaper...

Do you mind sharing the price you paid and the online link? Would love to get my hands on one...

Also did it arrive in proper condition via post? I've never ordered an item of such dimensions before and doubt if our postal guys would handle it proper...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131241549616

Cost me around 60 USD shipped. I couldn't find any other vendor that could do it cheaper. It's of plastic construction but I don't have any complaints about build quality. It seems to be quite solid and has a nice finish. Mirrors are clear and don't have any imperfections either. If you expand your search for golf cart accessories, you will see cheaper options. The ones I found like that had no packaging and ,to me, seemed to be of inferior finish.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131241549616

Cost me around 60 USD shipped. I couldn't find any other vendor that could do it cheaper. It's of plastic construction but I don't have any complaints about build quality. It seems to be quite solid and has a nice finish. Mirrors are clear and don't have any imperfections either. If you expand your search for golf cart accessories, you will see cheaper options. The ones I found like that had no packaging and ,to me, seemed to be of inferior finish.

Thanks for the link. The total cost now comes to USD87.95(Item USD37.95+shipping USD50)

Messaged the seller and tried to coax him in to offering me your price but he doesn't seem to budge. Thinking of watching the item for a while but I'm sure that my patience would eventually get run over by my greed for the accesory :)

Edited by SanjeevMahen

So the major fabrication work to the front is complete at long last as well as the arches. The ducktail spoiler is being done as we speak. The vent on the valance needs to be meshed and two slots are to be cut to place indicators.

More than a year later, I'm finally beginning to see what I set out to do :)

temp_zpspo0qnamb.jpg

So the major fabrication work to the front is complete at long last as well as the arches. The ducktail spoiler is being done as we speak. The vent on the valance needs to be meshed and two slots are to be cut to place indicators.

More than a year later, I'm finally beginning to see what I set out to do :)

temp_zpspo0qnamb.jpg

How did you communicate your concept to the people doing the work? Did you do draft drawings?

It sure is close enough to the original. More importantly, the engine has enough room under there now :)

And to add to Don's question, I try to get as many progress pictures as I can such as the one below of the spoiler. If it isn't quite what I had in mind, I request alterations. It is a bit tedious but so far, I'm quite please with the results.

The spoiler being done looked like this a couple of days ago..

image-fc232088a8d346d51d1e91e3165becf866

I asked it to be slightly taller and a teeny bit slanted to the back. I'm waiting on the final result which should mark the end of body related fabrication work. Can't wait to see some paint on :)

Apart from what Hoonigan is doing remotely, I think the guy giving updates to him (I rememember it being your dad?) on progress is doing an awesome job too. A good example for who think this is impossible. It's all about finding the guy with the same passion that you have. Who knows, it just might be your own dad!

Great work! Both of you! :)

Apart from what Hoonigan is doing remotely, I think the guy giving updates to him (I rememember it being your dad?) on progress is doing an awesome job too. A good example for who think this is impossible. It's all about finding the guy with the same passion that you have. Who knows, it just might be your own dad!

Great work! Both of you! :)

Thanks Davy. It's my father-in-law to be precise. The pics come from him and a cousin, without whom this would be impossible. He used to own two Capris a while back which he had to give up due to poor health. But he is very passionate about the car and makes sure everything is done as well as it could.

While I am missing out on having a more hands on experience, I won't complain about having a more experienced set of eyes overlooking the project.

Just when I thought things would pick up, had a few road blocks and things have been slow recently. Since my last update, the undercarriage was treated for bits of rust and the undercoating was done. The spoiler is yet to be finished.

The seats arrived, which is good news :) My initial plan was to redo the seats that came in the car but opted to get something else. My budget doesn't allow me to go for genuine recaros or sparcos and I didn't want to go for replicas. So I went for SSCUS. These are what they call Euro PU seats. I contacted the manufacturer and got them to stitch it with blue thread instead of the red they offer (this is to match a particular scheme I have in mind, more on that later). Komi was kind enough to pick them up for me and here they are sitting at his place.

image-624f126c869404854a34f1b951b133c963image-10af2d515bfa15e3ff6cae3bc06f6d6490image-054155e28eb340634b7ea65544808607a2image-18f6a5f459a3211377e1b5140d30e8aa5c

• Like 2