• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project Capri

Hoonigan

Question

Hi all,

So I've been trying to find a Capri for some time now but haven't really been very successful.

I'm trying to do a resto-mod and I have a few very specific things I want to do to it. So an abandoned car that needs body work, paint, interior work etc fits the bill perfectly. I don't really care if it's running or not either.

The few I found were recently restored or 'modified' and asking prices were a bit on the high side and I would anyway have to roll back some of the work already done on them and this would make me overshoot my budget by a mile.

Basically, I'm looking for a Ford Capri (preferably MK1) in shabby condition for around 3-500K (not set in stone,maybe a bit more depending on the condition) If any of you gents know about one close to what I've mentioned above, please be kind enough to drop me a PM. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Hi Hoonigan boring is the name of the game to get it right unfortunately :)

I hate to be the barer of more boring news but I think that the upper part of the front valence is not right. The "mouth" (grille) has a slightly protruding lower lip. This is usually hidden by the bumper. But do have a close look at pics on the net if you do not have access to a non-messed up original car.

I also notice that the front valence is too straight. If l you look closely at pics you will notice that while the two edges below the headlamps seem staight, the grille area should point at the middle parralel to the upper lip.

Also mate, sadly I notice that the "creasing" around the "face" near the fenders perfect, at least it looks like that from the pics. If you have a close look at a perfect Capri there's a very crisp double crease that goes around the face. One is verticle and right behind (joining the boonet and fenders) is an angled crease. This visible on your bonnet but is not clear on the fenders. The swage line, running from the back of the rear wheel to near the face seems to actually meet the face in your car. This should not be according to the pics I'm looking at right now. Which can unfortunately mean, (and I hope I am wrong here) the previous artists have shorented the snout after a few bumps?

Is there any way you can get an original bonnet (or fenders)? This should sort out the length doubt. Even if you can simply get a friend's car and park it alongside to measure and compare?

Although these seem like tiny details they will determine the look of the final product. And you are still at a point where it can be corrected. Although the tinker who did my cars is generally considered a bit of a geneius, there have been occassions when he was on the wrong track. Sometimes I noticed and sometimes I did not but a friend who came with me did. So you need a fresh pair of eyes occassionally.

If you like I can come and have a look when you are going there next and have a closer look. Let me know.

http://www.classicfordmag.co.uk/files/2010/07/10.jpg

http://media2.turbosport.co.uk/2011/5/2012082410541058026cap3.JPG

http://www.cotswoldclassiccar.com/images/imagelibraryitems/ford-capri-mk1-rs3100-image881-1-6.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Hoonigan boring is the name of the game to get it right unfortunately :)

I hate to be the barer of more boring news but I think that the upper part of the front valence is not right. The "mouth" (grille) has a slightly protruding lower lip. This is usually hidden by the bumper. But do have a close look at pics on the net if you do not have access to a non-messed up original car.

I also notice that the front valence is too straight. If l you look closely at pics you will notice that while the two edges below the headlamps seem staight, the grille area should point at the middle parralel to the upper lip.

Also mate, sadly I notice that the "creasing" around the "face" near the fenders perfect, at least it looks like that from the pics. If you have a close look at a perfect Capri there's a very crisp double crease that goes around the face. One is verticle and right behind (joining the boonet and fenders) is an angled crease. This visible on your bonnet but is not clear on the fenders. The swage line, running from the back of the rear wheel to near the face seems to actually meet the face in your car. This should not be according to the pics I'm looking at right now. Which can unfortunately mean, (and I hope I am wrong here) the previous artists have shorented the snout after a few bumps?

Is there any way you can get an original bonnet (or fenders)? This should sort out the length doubt. Even if you can simply get a friend's car and park it alongside to measure and compare?

Although these seem like tiny details they will determine the look of the final product. And you are still at a point where it can be corrected. Although the tinker who did my cars is generally considered a bit of a geneius, there have been occassions when he was on the wrong track. Sometimes I noticed and sometimes I did not but a friend who came with me did. So you need a fresh pair of eyes occassionally.

If you like I can come and have a look when you are going there next and have a closer look. Let me know.

http://www.classicfordmag.co.uk/files/2010/07/10.jpg

http://media2.turbosport.co.uk/2011/5/2012082410541058026cap3.JPG

http://www.cotswoldclassiccar.com/images/imagelibraryitems/ford-capri-mk1-rs3100-image881-1-6.jpg

Thanks GTAm for the feedback. The front end has been quite problematic really. Fortunately, the previous owner's 'nose job' was not the result of a crash but was to accomodate the bodykit he got done. Basically flattening the bonnet at the front to accomodate the face they have fabricated.

If you look at the previous photo I posted with the lights mounted and the one above, you will see that I got the valance and bonnet redone almost completely; specifically to get that 'point' in the middle.

I didn't quite understand what you meant with "One is verticle and right behind (joining the boonet and fenders) is an angled crease. This visible on your bonnet but is not clear on the fenders."

The crease that runs from the back wheel to the front on the side is actually OK. It just doesn't look right in the picture above. The fenders haven't been tampered with and I didn't pay any further attention to it to be honest.

I did consider getting a front valance and bonnet shipped in but decided against it due to the condition of the MK1 parts available generally and the cost of them.

I think you're right about needing a fresh pair of eyes on the car, I've been looking at so many capri pictures for reference, I feel that the car is OK(ish) now :D I will send you a PM. Thanks again for the feedback :)

• Like 1

The RS3100 tail lights have been mounted. I think they haven't been screwed down for the picture, cos the right one looks a tad skewed. They are halfway towards justifying the couple of late nights spent on ebay bidding on these suckers :)

0013_zps034f3c86.jpg

The hubs now have 5 bolts at 5x120.7mm instead of 4x108mm. I was under the impression that they were machining a set of adapters but looks like they've machined the hubs themselves. To be honest, I'm not sure what they've done but I'll be sure to ask. I do like how they look though, compared to a set of fat adapters :)

0017_zpsf558b388.jpg

Looks like your are going through the same procedure that i ve been through. The re-drilled hubs look accurately done. And what a keen pair of eyes that your tinker guys got man!!! He has nicely detailed the rear n seems made sure to leave an even space around the taillights for future bead.. maybe ??

@Komi, awesome news man, need to see photos!!!

@SN, slightly different machan. You went from 108mm to 114mm? I think. Mine went to 120.7mm so the existing hub plate was too small to accommodate that. I think they machined the entire thing and drilled it fresh. And yes, want to have the chrome trim around the tail lights. The guy is good but I made sure I provided ample reference photos.

Since you are going to keep the car for a while may I suggest to cold galvanize the welded inner parts. I have done this to my EP71 and I think it will work.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure how that is done though. What exactly is involved?

Yeah I love the wheels. i was worried a bit whether they might be too big for the car but so far they look proportional. Needs to be refurbished though, along with the paint.

@MD It's a rough fit to mark out where the arches are to be flared under it's somewhat own weight. Nothing's been dialed down so it will correct itself out soon.