• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project Capri

Hoonigan

Question

Hi all,

So I've been trying to find a Capri for some time now but haven't really been very successful.

I'm trying to do a resto-mod and I have a few very specific things I want to do to it. So an abandoned car that needs body work, paint, interior work etc fits the bill perfectly. I don't really care if it's running or not either.

The few I found were recently restored or 'modified' and asking prices were a bit on the high side and I would anyway have to roll back some of the work already done on them and this would make me overshoot my budget by a mile.

Basically, I'm looking for a Ford Capri (preferably MK1) in shabby condition for around 3-500K (not set in stone,maybe a bit more depending on the condition) If any of you gents know about one close to what I've mentioned above, please be kind enough to drop me a PM. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Since my last update, I ran into some trouble getting the engine to run smoothly. Wouldn't start properly, when it finally did, wouldn't idle properly, had no torque (caused the clutch to burn out) and it was cracking spark plugs on a daily basis.

After much frustration, found someone who is familiar with the fuel system (Bosch K-Jetronic) and the repair involved the 6 injectors being replaced, all 6 spark plugs being replaced with genuine NGK plugs, new air filter, new clutch and pressure plate and a list of other parts to clean up the cold start module and ignition system. After this, the engine was tuned up and it could easily break traction and leave 11s on the road despite the 255 rear tyres :)

Retrofitted an AC and plumbed it to the two heater vents on the dash and tucked everything else under the dash so that the presence of an AC system is completely out of sight. Wired the AC to a simple on/off toggle switch (see pics)

The whole upholstery was done from scratch. Nowhere fancy as Deans but the job turned out to be pretty good. I got the dash fascia laser cut out of black plexi. Rear seats were ditched and the SSCUS buckets went in the front. The steering wheel is a Grant Challenger piece.

Finally had the car running this weekend on a Cars and Coffee SL Sunday run and covered around 60-70Km in light traffic and a little bit of 'spirited' driving. The car has buckets of torque low down and 3rd gear is really something else. The long run also revealed some issues I need to address. The rear drums lock up early and tends to slide the rear out clockwise and I felt a general lack of stopping power with the fronts as well. Rear leafs are nowhere near stiff enough and the gearbox hums in neutral and first.

In closing, the car will continue to be worked on for years to come but this feels like a good time as any, to bring closure to this thread. In the three years I've spent so far with the Capri, I've made my fair share of mistakes and screw ups but each of them helped me learn something I didn't know. And more than anything, provided a much needed distraction during some tough times. All in all, I love owning this car, even with all the imperfections!

All but one of the pics below are thanks to Cars and Coffee Sri Lanka.

Thanks for reading gents!

FB_IMG_1477908904845_zpsrbxubyr4.jpg

FB_IMG_1477908930649_zpskyb1nold.jpg

FB_IMG_1477908938948_zpsulpsxb0z.jpg

IMG_20161030_161452_zpsm4er5vyl.jpg

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Davy said:

Good stuff @Hoonigan! The look on the guy's face when she takes off says it all. ?

Well..I am pretty sure the guy had a mini orgasm right there.. (sort of confirmed by the rather embarrassing yet nervous looking grin on @Hoonigan's face :) )

also..for the record... @Hoonigan is in to JDMs as well as he is the proud owner of a sweet little modern Japanese 2-door car :) 

The video had me laughing for quite some time.

Presenter : let it warm up

@Hoonigan: I drove it here. It's already warm.

P: I mean me!

H::action-smiley-015:

P: How do you drive this comfortably?

H: You don't:violent-smiley-100:

P: your side mirrors are kinda useless

H: they are completely useless. :violent-smiley-100:

I love this unapologetic attitude.

19 minutes ago, varotone said:

P: your side mirrors are kinda useless

H: they are completely useless. :violent-smiley-100:

I love this unapologetic attitude.

That is the only way to live a classic car life style :) Compared to what modern cars have...old cars are complete s$#@ :) Lights are not bright....side mirrors large enough to just see the tip on your nose and give yourself a wink...AC (if you are an over indulgent w**ner to have one in your classic car) may or may not work depending on the weather (of course it doesn't work in the middle of summer)...you spend more time look at the car sitting on stilts than it sitting on the ground....but heck with it drive an everyday, run of the mill, reliable and comfortable car ? How normal and sane is that ? pfft

Thanks guys! been a while since I came around to this thread.

This video was shot a few years ago. Took a bit of time to edit and upload by the content creators.

I didn't mean to be rude or blunt (I didn't realise it came across as such)

I think it was important to be honest. I was fairly uninformed with some of the decisions made with this car and it shows. It isn't a perfect weapon of a car. Doesn't make me love it any less though :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hoonigan said:

Thanks guys! been a while since I came around to this thread.

This video was shot a few years ago. Took a bit of time to edit and upload by the content creators.

I didn't mean to be rude or blunt (I didn't realise it came across as such)

I think it was important to be honest. I was fairly uninformed with some of the decisions made with this car and it shows. It isn't a perfect weapon of a car. Doesn't make me love it any less though :D

Beautiful build @Hoonigan. Am curious to hear what you would change on it, as based on that video it seems like the perfect weekend car?

(Weekcars need a bit of character I feel- The crazier the better, really!)