• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project Capri

Hoonigan

Question

Hi all,

So I've been trying to find a Capri for some time now but haven't really been very successful.

I'm trying to do a resto-mod and I have a few very specific things I want to do to it. So an abandoned car that needs body work, paint, interior work etc fits the bill perfectly. I don't really care if it's running or not either.

The few I found were recently restored or 'modified' and asking prices were a bit on the high side and I would anyway have to roll back some of the work already done on them and this would make me overshoot my budget by a mile.

Basically, I'm looking for a Ford Capri (preferably MK1) in shabby condition for around 3-500K (not set in stone,maybe a bit more depending on the condition) If any of you gents know about one close to what I've mentioned above, please be kind enough to drop me a PM. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

It sounds angry :)

That it does.All these old Ford V6 motors have that distinct grunt.Something to do with the bank angle or firing order.

A straight through or a custom barrel would go along nicely.Tockimo is the place to go.No BS and they won't rob you either.

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

That it does.All these old Ford V6 motors have that distinct grunt.Something to do with the bank angle or firing order.

A straight through or a custom barrel would go along nicely.Tockimo is the place to go.No BS and they won't rob you either.

We had new headers mandrel bent and in mild steel and the rest of the piping done in stainless. No resonators went in and the sound is just out of the mufflers. The mufflers themselves are stainless but are off some kind of a SsangYong. I know it isn't all that sexy but it seems to do the job fine. Spoke to both WEPR and Tokimo a while back but arranging the logistics was an issue and I wasn't sure I could afford WEPR.

Goal is to get the car out and about first and see how it behaves. I didn't spend a fortune on the exhaust so it wouldn't be totally senseless to swap it out for something better if it becomes neccessary.

We had new headers mandrel bent and in mild steel and the rest of the piping done in stainless. No resonators went in and the sound is just out of the mufflers. The mufflers themselves are stainless but are off some kind of a SsangYong. I know it isn't all that sexy but it seems to do the job fine. Spoke to both WEPR and Tokimo a while back but arranging the logistics was an issue and I wasn't sure I could afford WEPR.

Goal is to get the car out and about first and see how it behaves. I didn't spend a fortune on the exhaust so it wouldn't be totally senseless to swap it out for something better if it becomes neccessary.

i asked for mine, it will be around 35k they said. can't wait to see this beast " happy happy" :)

i asked for mine, it will be around 35k they said. can't wait to see this beast " happy happy" :)

Hey that's a pretty good price ifthey would do it in stainless. Issue here is that I have two cylinder banks, so two of everything.

A small update....The in tank fuel pump was adapted to the stock tank. A cracked power steering pipe, and a leak on one of the water hoses were fixed. Roy did a test run yesterday and apparently it's looking up :) I can't wait to see it drive and possibly get behind the wheel for the first time!

According to the current plan, I won't be able to pull the motor out to paint the engine bay and the engine itself and will have to settle for a masking job. As much as it pains me to not be able to have a spotless bay, I wouldn't be able to meet my deadline if I pull everything out.

Hey that's a pretty good price ifthey would do it in stainless. Issue here is that I have two cylinder banks, so two of everything.

A small update....The in tank fuel pump was adapted to the stock tank. A cracked power steering pipe, and a leak on one of the water hoses were fixed. Roy did a test run yesterday and apparently it's looking up :) I can't wait to see it drive and possibly get behind the wheel for the first time!

According to the current plan, I won't be able to pull the motor out to paint the engine bay and the engine itself and will have to settle for a masking job. As much as it pains me to not be able to have a spotless bay, I wouldn't be able to meet my deadline if I pull everything out.

bad boy hoonigan, :P weekday car talks making my work more interesting here :D

I dont know if I missed it, but did hoonigan mention the colour he plans to paint the car in?

I've been seeing a number of non-modern cars with metalic paints, and some of those colours are so unnatural it's like a granny in a thong. It's supposed to make an ass sexy, but it's just wrong!

Been seeing a lot of photos of a metallic red capri that just doesn't look right..

• Like 1

I dont know if I missed it, but did hoonigan mention the colour he plans to paint the car in?

I've been seeing a number of non-modern cars with metalic paints, and some of those colours are so unnatural it's like a granny in a thong. It's supposed to make an ass sexy, but it's just wrong!

Been seeing a lot of photos of a metallic red capri that just doesn't look right..

The colour discussion went up a couple of times and I've changed my fickle mind twice already. But when the car goes into paint within the next couple of days, it will be painted in a bright yellow. It's the not the original Ford yellow that the car came in (which was a bit dull IMO) so there is a chance of it looking unnatural as you say. The code I picked is a normal gloss, no metalics or pearls so hopefully are it won't.

I think what you've seen is Rhamzi's MK1 which he sold partially completed. The wire spoked wheels look pretty sweet on it though :)

The colour discussion went up a couple of times and I've changed my fickle mind twice already. But when the car goes into paint within the next couple of days, it will be painted in a bright yellow. It's the not the original Ford yellow that the car came in (which was a bit dull IMO) so there is a chance of it looking unnatural as you say. The code I picked is a normal gloss, no metalics or pearls so hopefully are it won't.

I think what you've seen is Rhamzi's MK1 which he sold partially completed. The wire spoked wheels look pretty sweet on it though :)

is it partially completed? i thought its completed :),

Edited by tuner88

is it partially completed? i thought its completed :),

I remember when Rhamzi advertised it, he mentined it was partially done. But that was a while ago and the new owner may have filled in the gaps by now. Even back then, the car looked pretty complete any may only have been missing a few bits here and there. It even had the vintage Recaros in it at that time.

Edited by Hoonigan

Haven't been able to update the thread lately.

The car was driven out of Roy's garage and into the paint shop not too far from there. Yes, it drove in traffic :) This was last weekend and by this weekend, the paint was scraped down to the metal. Almost all the paint is gone except for little bits left around vents and the glass frames. A rust remover will be applied to take care of some surface rust that have set in during the unplanned sit in during the last couple of months.

I'm not too clear on the process but as I gathered, they will go section by section and treat the metal for rust and apply a primer by Wurth which will make the metal safe enough to iron out imperfections. There are a few areas that need a bit of hammering to reduce the amount of body filler that will be needed. I was pushing to get the car out within August but since then decided to let them have a bit more time to do a better job.

We only managed to use the rust remover and primer the car before the heavens opened up. Then basically everything stopped for more than a month due to the fact that we couldn't do anything without sacrificing the final finish.

Each section is getting the filler/sand/filler/sand treatment slowly. Plenty to do, but things are moving along unless interrupted by bad weather. This was this morning!

20151017_093201_zpsomfq1mrj.jpg

• Like 3

Been quite sometime since I dug this thread up :sad-smiley-067:

Needless to say, I missed the deadline to have the car ready for my wedding. However, it was almost constantly being worked on. The highlight reel is as follows

1. The water pump was p!ssing all over the place. Had the water seals and racers replaced. Yet to test if the repair is successful and will have to bring down a replacement if not.

2. Additional tinkering work discovered in the process of stripping the paint down. Biggest being a caved in roof due to shoddy repair work before. Which looked like a flat piece of sheet metal was used to cover a sunroof and covered with filler. Almost the entire roof was fabricated anew and extra structural support was welded on from the inside. The tinker did a number on this one and drastically cut down the amount of filler that would otherwise would have been needed.

3. The door handles, window trim and the grill were all powdercoated black.

4. Door locks and boot lock were repaired and a new key was cut.

5. And of course, what seemed to be an endless cycle of prep work for the paint. The car went through a couple of colour changes during the process. From the black guide coat to the White base coat and to this.....

20160327_092459_zpsc559hdyt.jpg

Ideally, I wanted the engine bay and the engine painted before it was mounted. Due to the modifications that were needed inside the engine bay to make room for the larger radiator and other ancillaries, that never happened. Right now, it doesn't look practical to pull the engine out to repaint. So we're making do with what can be done as is, lots of masking and skinned knuckles of the painters. The engine bay is painted blue already. the actual engine itself is up next.

The wheels are already in a shop being painted and polished. Glasses are to be mounted and the wiring to be done in the foreseeable future.

it's getting there :)

• Like 4

Bloody hell that looks Brilliant!!!

Thanks mate :)

Nice, was wondering how things were going.... Final stretch in sight man!

So I thought on several occasions before but the goalpost keeps moving LOL. But yes, it is quite a milestone to have finished paint. Cautiously optimistic :)

Installed the glasses today. Instead of using the original/traditional beadings, we 'pasted' the glasses on. The process still involves beadings but very low profile. I think it turned out pretty sleek.

20160401_172525_zpsrrzhjhjv.jpg20160401_172539_zpsnb3rsme9.jpg

Got the wheels back too. I initially wanted to have the centres copper plated but couldn't find someone who would undertake the job and decided to paint them in a colour that is close enough to my eye. The lips were buffed to a polish.

20160401_105257_zpsnjrocjnr.jpg

Wiring is beeing done, mostly done, hope to wrap it up early next week. Battery was relocated to the boot due to lack of space at the front.

Have a bunch of little stuff to do before upholstery work. Dusted off little bits and pieces collected over the last three years to finally go on the car.

• Like 2