• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project Capri

Hoonigan

Question

Hi all,

So I've been trying to find a Capri for some time now but haven't really been very successful.

I'm trying to do a resto-mod and I have a few very specific things I want to do to it. So an abandoned car that needs body work, paint, interior work etc fits the bill perfectly. I don't really care if it's running or not either.

The few I found were recently restored or 'modified' and asking prices were a bit on the high side and I would anyway have to roll back some of the work already done on them and this would make me overshoot my budget by a mile.

Basically, I'm looking for a Ford Capri (preferably MK1) in shabby condition for around 3-500K (not set in stone,maybe a bit more depending on the condition) If any of you gents know about one close to what I've mentioned above, please be kind enough to drop me a PM. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Come on man. If there's one thing I learnt from my car it's that nothing is impossible. The video isn't loading but I'm guessing this is touch operated invisible door handles right?

When you come home, let's meet up and talk about this. I know a few tech gurus who can make this happen. Some of them are autolankans mind you.

Remember my SSS lights? $1000/80,000¥. But I still got them for a tenth of that price. So trust me when I say nothing is impossible ;)

Come on man. If there's one thing I learnt from my car it's that nothing is impossible. The video isn't loading but I'm guessing this is touch operated invisible door handles right?

When you come home, let's meet up and talk about this. I know a few tech gurus who can make this happen. Some of them are autolankans mind you.

Remember my SSS lights? $1000/80,000¥. But I still got them for a tenth of that price. So trust me when I say nothing is impossible ;)

Link worked. Whoops no that can't really be fabricated no? Dang those things are 600$??

I thought about those touch operated ones..a simpler option is to shave the handle off and place a somewhat hidden button. But I kindda felt as if it was over-complicating things. This one is not electronic and looks pretty dang awesome.

Tracked down their site because I couldn't find anything similar on ebay...

Bare Metal - $595.00 USD

Polished Chrome - $650.00 USD

And this is without shipping :(

http://www.kindigit.com/store.php

I thought about those touch operated ones..a simpler option is to shave the handle off and place a somewhat hidden button. But I kindda felt as if it was over-complicating things. This one is not electronic and looks pretty dang awesome.

Tracked down their site because I couldn't find anything similar on ebay...

Bare Metal - $595.00 USD

Polished Chrome - $650.00 USD

And this is without shipping :(

http://www.kindigit.com/store.php

Awesome is the word...Those handles look dead cool.

Got me my headlights. BMW ellipsoids. Unfortunately, both sides were not available. So I got two of the same side. One bracket will have to be altered to switch the lights over to the other side.

But I'm guessing the two beams on each side will have to be mounted a bit closer to each other to fit in the space available on the car.

IMG-20131225-WA0002.jpgIMG-20131225-WA0001.jpg

WOW dude,

I am sure those will look awsome once they are installed. Nice to see your progress. Guess what? My engine has arrived at the ports, bt might take sum time to clear as these are chiristmas/new year days. I read your post in fordcapriforum and amazed to see that some of those guys actually liked that hideous yellow bodykit that Uncle Lakshman's son made. :speechless-smiley-004:

Edited by similarnames

Thanks machan...but they don't seem to stock the size I want. Besides, damn they are expensive :o

Anyways, placed the order via Kapruka today and reads as follows

BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 Radial Tire - 205/45R16 87Z SL - QTY 2

BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 Radial Tire - 255/50R16 99Z - QTY 2

The price gained 12K over the last couple of days for some reason but still remains resonably low I guess. Promised a delivery date 8 weeks away.

If you don't mind, could you please share the costs involved in importing them through Kapruka. Thanks.

WOW dude,

I sure those will look awsome once they are installed. Nice to see your progress. Guess what? My engine has arrived at the ports, bt might take sum time to clear as these are chiristmas/new year days. I read your post in fordcapriforum and amazed to see that some of those guys actually liked that hideous yellow bodykit that Uncle Lakshman's son made. :speechless-smiley-004:

Mate that is AWESOME news!!! I'm sure you're itching to get your hands on it....and this signals some serious work coming up! Might I take this opportunity to remind you that we are yet to see a pic of the whole car (and more pictures generally) and your work on it so far?

Oho Santa has come for both if you then! Very nice.

and you got smileys! i wanted smileys!!

also, see what you made me go and do! i guess the Don knows a little of what that is... ;)

At 18K I guess they are in very good shape. If you want I'm sure they can swap yours for a set of these...hit me up when you get a minute from the books.

What did I make you do???? you got me curious but the clue didn't hit home :S

If you don't mind, could you please share the costs involved in importing them through Kapruka. Thanks.

check your PM :)

After a very amateur attempt on photoshop, I managed to somewhat reflect what I had in mind into something that I can visually communicate. I'm a sucker for carbon fiber and wanted to incorporate on the inside of the car. Pardon the primitive rendering.

capribigcopy.jpg690ffdf13a333c3ffbebc67fc41ea0vyyfy1d.jp

There are two options.

1. There are vendors who will supply panels in the size you specify. But these are completely flat making any contouring next to impossible if required. and the shipping size will be pretty big.

2. Buy the fabric and get the panels I need layered locally. After a bit of reading I found that the resin has to be Epoxy resin to avoid any yellowing which plagues sub-standard CF parts. Does anyone know if this is locally available? I suppose the hardener will be the same as for the cheaper polyester resin.

I also placed a head unit on the dash fascia and replaced and rearranged the switches to flip ups. And the yellow ribbon sort of thing is supposed to be something similar to this, to act as the door handle.

cayman-r-10.jpg

Any thoughts?

You can try using metal to fabricate the dash panel and wrap it in CF sticker. Yeah it's not real, but there's this new '4D' CF which is looks pretty real. I bought it online and it comes in different sizes. And the meterial is a lot more flexible that the stuff that was in the market before so you can heat it and make it go around most curved surfaces. I bought a roll couple of weeks ago for the bike, and they look good. Shall share pics when I get home.

Another option is hydro-graphics. Pretty neat method, but I don't know if there's anyone who does it in SL.

After a very amateur attempt on photoshop, I managed to somewhat reflect what I had in mind into something that I can visually communicate. I'm a sucker for carbon fiber and wanted to incorporate on the inside of the car. Pardon the primitive rendering.

capribigcopy.jpg690ffdf13a333c3ffbebc67fc41ea0vyyfy1d.jp

There are two options.

1. There are vendors who will supply panels in the size you specify. But these are completely flat making any contouring next to impossible if required. and the shipping size will be pretty big.

2. Buy the fabric and get the panels I need layered locally. After a bit of reading I found that the resin has to be Epoxy resin to avoid any yellowing which plagues sub-standard CF parts. Does anyone know if this is locally available? I suppose the hardener will be the same as for the cheaper polyester resin.

I also placed a head unit on the dash fascia and replaced and rearranged the switches to flip ups. And the yellow ribbon sort of thing is supposed to be something similar to this, to act as the door handle.

cayman-r-10.jpg

Any thoughts?

Dude,

There's a place at Papiliyana (USS Fibreglass services) that supplies Epoxy resin (the crystal clear type+ hardner). Its 5k a litre. Google for their site. They also have CF fabric but bit too pricy. So my advice, get CF down from Ebay. Talk to the CEO of USS, he is really a nice guy. You can do a sample first, then master the method. This is my CF wrapped quarter bumper before polishing. You see the weave pattern is barely visible as the surfece needs some polishng. Applying epoxy is a messy job, believe me! I wasted approx. 2 squaremeters of CF for DIYing. See the pics..

http://imageshack.com/a/img577/5526/k2qh.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img9/7602/v9bo.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img43/6021/7yj9.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img822/1461/ylkf.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img9/732/37uk.jpg

Edited by similarnames

@Watchman, thanks machan, first time I'm hearing about the 4D vinyl. I tried my hand at the 3D vinyl some time back. The 4D stuff looks much nicer. But I think the real CF once under resin and a clear coat will last much longer and age much better. Nevertheless, I will still have to fabricate a dash out of aluminum or something (using the existing dash as a template) as the existing one has heater controls on it and the switches are mounted differently. And the layout I want is different.

@Similarnames. Bro it's weired how we have thought about most things along the same lines..The tail lights, quarter bumpers and the CF. And thanks for the papilyana place. I will call them and figure something out. DIYing is off the table because of where I am and where the car is. So I will see how much it costs for USS to wrap it for me and how much it is if I get the CF from ebay. Either way, the epoxy is the critical part.

The weave doesn't show up on the pics but I'm sure once it's sanded down and clear coated it will look radical.

One more thing, I don't like to hijack your thread,,

I was planning to post this once i am finished with the project, But your enthusiasm leaves me no choice,

See some pictures of the custom dash.. may be poor taste.. but this is how when ideas were converted to real life things. (6 months ago actually)

Pls dnt comment about the momo horn on nardi steering. :mosking:

post-55914-0-30356700-1388303812_thumb.j

post-55914-0-17182400-1388303825_thumb.j

Edited by similarnames

Ade that dash looks awesome. I'm total sucker for digital gauges myself. And the blue back lighting O_o

And several of us have been beggin you for a fully fledged build thread, dare I say Komi added the most creative request to date. I'm the last person to complain about you posting your car here in this thread but yours truely deserve a story on it's own. And me personally will be able to pick up a lot from your build. Especially since you have already surpassed what I have vague visions of.

The Mods will switch the name for you once you decide on one for the thread. Mine started out as a desperate plea for help to find one for sale after being unable to find one myself :)

Edited by Hoonigan

Thanks to Similarnames, found the materials and a guy to do the job on the carbon fiber parts locally.

In other news, placed orders for a pair of polished stainless steel bullet mirrors and 8 heavy duty switches with red flip up covers.