• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project Capri

Hoonigan

Question

Hi all,

So I've been trying to find a Capri for some time now but haven't really been very successful.

I'm trying to do a resto-mod and I have a few very specific things I want to do to it. So an abandoned car that needs body work, paint, interior work etc fits the bill perfectly. I don't really care if it's running or not either.

The few I found were recently restored or 'modified' and asking prices were a bit on the high side and I would anyway have to roll back some of the work already done on them and this would make me overshoot my budget by a mile.

Basically, I'm looking for a Ford Capri (preferably MK1) in shabby condition for around 3-500K (not set in stone,maybe a bit more depending on the condition) If any of you gents know about one close to what I've mentioned above, please be kind enough to drop me a PM. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Yeah dude...at long last, spent so many consecutive days running the same search on ebay and finally paid off. All three are in similar condition lu. Will clean all of them up at the end. Thanks for the links you sent earlier on these :)

Thanks machan...but they don't seem to stock the size I want. Besides, damn they are expensive :o

Anyways, placed the order via Kapruka today and reads as follows

BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 Radial Tire - 205/45R16 87Z SL - QTY 2

BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 Radial Tire - 255/50R16 99Z - QTY 2

The price gained 12K over the last couple of days for some reason but still remains resonably low I guess. Promised a delivery date 8 weeks away.

Thanks machan...but they don't seem to stock the size I want. Besides, damn they are expensive :o

Anyways, placed the order via Kapruka today and reads as follows

BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 Radial Tire - 205/45R16 87Z SL - QTY 2

BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 Radial Tire - 255/50R16 99Z - QTY 2

The price gained 12K over the last couple of days for some reason but still remains resonably low I guess. Promised a delivery date 8 weeks away.

I hope you took in to account that importing rubber to SL will get you a tax of 200%?

Edited by VVTi

I hope you took in to account that importing rubber to SL will get you a tax of 200%?

What????

Kapruka provided a quotation including all duties and their charges. According to that thay have applied somewhere around 40%-50% as tax. I was under the impression that they don't backtrack and give you surprises when the goods land. Do they?

Edited by Hoonigan

What????

Kapruka provided a quotation including all duties and their charges. According to that thay have applied somewhere around 40%-50% as tax. I was under the impression that they don't backtrack and give you surprises when the goods land. Do they?

Just double check, machang. I am sure they quoted the right final price. yet, importing rubber products and Black tea to LKA is a big no no... :)

I once imported a Break booster and they were fussing over the rubber boot on it.

Just double check, machang. I am sure they quoted the right final price. yet, importing rubber products and Black tea to LKA is a big no no... :)

I once imported a Break booster and they were fussing over the rubber boot on it.

Do they expect us to use locally produced rubber goods? I hate to see the day all we have is Kelani and Ceat tyres...........

I will call them tomorrow just to double check. They definitely added the tax and all other charges to the final tally. as long as they don't go back on it, I should be fine...

Yes Komi that is also an option. They did turn out amazing.

@GTAm that's true. I believe these were made by Hella for the RS3100 and the mk1 facelift starting 1972. Of course to be replaced by the MK2 after a short while. I guess they continued production until recently as a German site (referred by Similarnames) has them listed brand new in their catalogue. However I was told they are no longer available and no alternative suppliers are available.

Have you tried tickover.co.uk?Inquire via email if they don't have the item listed on the website...Rhamzi got allmost all his Capri parts from them.

Have you tried tickover.co.uk?Inquire via email if they don't have the item listed on the website...Rhamzi got allmost all his Capri parts from them.

I tried tickover twice with around 2 months in between. They didn't have them on stock. I asked them to let me know if they come across any but haven't heard back. Anyways, I found these on ebay and they are here.

Do they expect us to use locally produced rubber goods? I hate to see the day all we have is Kelani and Ceat tyres...........

No they don't. To import rubber and what not you need an import license. Same way you cannot under any circumstance import black tea.

Also, you have to understand that not everyone can spend money on imported tyres. A lot of people do buy and use locally made Kelani and CEAT tyres. Don't diss them, machang. They actually serve their purpose quite well.

What????

VVTi is right. I knew this as well when I ordered the alloys with tyres for the 307.

Took gamble and got it shipped in two box's two each for my name and a friends name.First when I went to Trico they said it cannot be released.

Paid 24K to a contact and got it delivered home. Still was worth it.otherwise would have spent that amount on one tyre alone.

Kapruka have a system sorted our where they pay a lowered rate because they import all kinds of thing in bulk or something like that. I'm sure some grease is involved obviously but their quotes always include all the tax and generally they do not give surprises.

But Hoonigan, might be best to double check with them on the tax, you can say you heard that there was some extra taxation and check whether everything is sorted. Best to make it very clear that if there are any surprises you will not be paying anything more than what was presented to you.

And thanks :) It's great isn't it? Schiffer's work.

Kapruka have a system sorted our where they pay a lowered rate because they import all kinds of thing in bulk or something like that. I'm sure some grease is involved obviously but their quotes always include all the tax and generally they do not give surprises.

But Hoonigan, might be best to double check with them on the tax, you can say you heard that there was some extra taxation and check whether everything is sorted. Best to make it very clear that if there are any surprises you will not be paying anything more than what was presented to you.

And thanks :) It's great isn't it? Schiffer's work.

kapruka is pretty renowned for 'palm greasing', Didn't they recently get busted for selling alcohol with out a license?

Ok so I got a call through to kapruka today and they say that all I have to pay is the quoted amount minus the deposit I already paid. Which is fine. But I will have my answer for sure when they actually arrive. ETA first week of January.

Good thing about the service is that I won't have to go haggle with the customs which always is a relief.

Edited by Hoonigan

kapruka is pretty renowned for 'palm greasing', Didn't they recently get busted for selling alcohol with out a license?

There was something clearing up that story. Couple of news articles too.

http://readme.lk/sides-coin-kapruka-case/

Kapruka put their side of the story here.

https://www.facebook.com/kaprukafans/posts/10151391658152924

No they don't. To import rubber and what not you need an import license. Same way you cannot under any circumstance import black tea.

Also, you have to understand that not everyone can spend money on imported tyres. A lot of people do buy and use locally made Kelani and CEAT tyres. Don't diss them, machang. They actually serve their purpose quite well.

Of course VVTI. I'm not dissing them at all. They serve their purpose, and as a consumer I want choice. That is the only way even the quality of our local products will improve.

You will be happy to know that Halfords in the UK sells DSI tyres under their own brand.

The only problem I have with Ceat and Kelani is that they don't produce tyres in all sizes, they only produce harder compound tyres (hard wearing but not always comfortable) as such hard on the suspension and not suited for all applications.

There was something clearing up that story. Couple of news articles too.

http://readme.lk/sides-coin-kapruka-case/

Kapruka put their side of the story here.

https://www.facebook.com/kaprukafans/posts/10151391658152924

Interesting... Thanks for the links Peri.

Following kapruka's strategy, can i setup a transport business to supply prostitutes from pimps to clients. When i get busted i can always say i am in the transport business ROFLMAS

Following kapruka's strategy, can i setup a transport business to supply prostitutes from pimps to clients. When i get busted i can always say i am in the transport business ROFLMAS

Should work, as long as you aren't taking a cut from the pimps too.

I'm sure you've watched Transporter :)

Edited by Pericles

You are bit late as I think there are many already engaged in that business :)

Thanks mate! But I will have to do a custom job on the dash. It looks like crap now. And the instrument panel doesn't work.

IMG-20130820-WA0015.jpg

But I have asked for the instrument cluster along with the engine. That way the tacho will work without any hassle. I will have to calibrate the speedo for the larger tyres and the dash will read correct. It's a six meter set up but may be spaced out differently. And I have a vague idea about fitting a head unit in the blank space to the left and replacing the switches with ones with flip up covers. All in all, I will be better off using this one as a template, cutting out an aluminum piece and wrapping it.

Edited by Hoonigan