• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project Capri

Hoonigan

Question

Hi all,

So I've been trying to find a Capri for some time now but haven't really been very successful.

I'm trying to do a resto-mod and I have a few very specific things I want to do to it. So an abandoned car that needs body work, paint, interior work etc fits the bill perfectly. I don't really care if it's running or not either.

The few I found were recently restored or 'modified' and asking prices were a bit on the high side and I would anyway have to roll back some of the work already done on them and this would make me overshoot my budget by a mile.

Basically, I'm looking for a Ford Capri (preferably MK1) in shabby condition for around 3-500K (not set in stone,maybe a bit more depending on the condition) If any of you gents know about one close to what I've mentioned above, please be kind enough to drop me a PM. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

WoW! Great choice of engine there. Glad she's a Capri under the hood as well!

If you're gonna transplant the engine before the bodywork is complete, I can suggest that you get the engine bay painted (and any tinkering attended to) so that you don't have to worry about them later.

• Like 1

WoW! Great choice of engine there. Glad she's a Capri under the hood as well!

If you're gonna transplant the engine before the bodywork is complete, I can suggest that you get the engine bay painted (and any tinkering attended to) so that you don't have to worry about them later.

Second Davy's suggestion - get it all done in one go

It's fabulous to know that it's going to be "all Capri" :)

cheers guys! yes the engine will go in before the body work is complete. And the engine bay is being attended to right now; any rust taken care of and painted beforehand. The engine will also be cleaned and painted as with all the other parts that will go in. Trying to attend to as many details as possible and make it look good under the hood as well.

in my excitement, went out and bought this today which will form part of my luggage my next vacation.

20140214_173408.jpg

Take a bow hoonigan. You sexy beast you!! And they said this couldn't be done. Looking at that engine now safely in your house, all I can say is "anae hukae" to the pplmwho said this couldn't be done. Goodness the hours and days we spent working out the logistics...

ha ha yes men, to have lost the Essex 3.0 kindda knocked me back. Now the real fun begins :)

Oh dear customs. How many contraptions have we thought of to avoid running into problems with them.

I was even considering buying the ford 5.0. And Supra_nartural was kind enough to give me very detailed instructions for that conversion. I wasn't as brave though.

Thanks to Chan5 who provided me with the contact of the importer, who took care of this for me. All I had to do was tell him where they were.

Thanks Similarnames and MD. The forum was a huge help in making the decision, sticking to it and actually getting it. (And some Newbies complain the forum doesn't help)

Not out of the woods yet though. Being an engine which is more than likely older than I am and having most of it's pipes cut in the process of etraction, it wil ltake some effort to get it to run reliably. Work will commence within the next week or so once the garage clears up some other cars. So excited after kicking my heels about for this long :)

Congrats man, so happy that you've finally got hold of it! All in all I think you made the best choice of engine, that 5.0 would have been crazy of course but you probably wouldn't have been able to use the thing much!

Can't wait to see the progress...awaiting with bated breath!

Congrats man, so happy that you've finally got hold of it! All in all I think you made the best choice of engine, that 5.0 would have been crazy of course but you probably wouldn't have been able to use the thing much!

Can't wait to see the progress...awaiting with bated breath!

That's true mate. The 5.0 would've taken this much more closer to the best form of the car, the Perana. And according to the info you gave, the rest of the parts wouldn't have been so hart to find either. But no point making it a trailer queen. I want to wear those tyres down :)

Great stuff mate. The speed at which you are getting all the stuff is amazing. This looks like it is going to be the hottest Capri on the road! Not sure if you have mentioned it earlier but have you zeroed in on a colour?

Great stuff mate. The speed at which you are getting all the stuff is amazing. This looks like it is going to be the hottest Capri on the road! Not sure if you have mentioned it earlier but have you zeroed in on a colour?

It certainly felt like an eternity though :D The grand plan for the colours;

I did some digging about the colour and with the help of Octane Head, narrowed down to Anthracite Grey, Charcoal Grey and Gun Metal Grey for the body. Will have to see a colour card and make the final decision.

I'm planning to do the Perana Stripes in black and therefore want the right shade of grey to set it off just about right. The window frames, beadings, grill etc will be black.

The wheel lips will be polished. I'm still not sure about the colour for the wheel centers. I was thinking black but OH correctly pointed out that it will wipe out the mesh design. Maybe a slightly lighter grey?

The diff and shocks will be coated red (a bit of a cliché I know) to match the interior stitching and interior lighting, which will also be red.

It certainly felt like an eternity though :D The grand plan for the colours;

I did some digging about the colour and with the help of Octane Head, narrowed down to Anthracite Grey, Charcoal Grey and Gun Metal Grey for the body. Will have to see a colour card and make the final decision.

I'm planning to do the Perana Stripes in black and therefore want the right shade of grey to set it off just about right. The window frames, beadings, grill etc will be black.

Aiyo!! My heart just broke. Why those dreary German colours??? :speechless-smiley-019: The 70's were full of funky bright colours. I know it's a personal choice and I'll shrug my shoulders if you love grey, but please think about the character of car (and the era) you are building and think about what colours match that character. I even regret painting my Alfetta GTV grey.

There are too many grey cars on our road mate. The Mercedes pageant was like a funeral house last year. Grey, black silver and white. Hardly any exciting colours. Like I said it's fine if you love the car in that colour but please, please, please think about it. :)

• Like 3

Aiyo!! My heart just broke. Why those dreary German colours??? :speechless-smiley-019: The 70's were full of funky bright colours. I know it's a personal choice and I'll shrug my shoulders if you love grey, but please think about the character of car (and the era) you are building and think about what colours match that character. I even regret painting my Alfetta GTV grey.

There are too many grey cars on our road mate. The Mercedes pageant was like a funeral house last year. Grey, black silver and white. Hardly any exciting colours. Like I said it's fine if you love the car in that colour but please, please, please think about it. :)

GTam tell us what you think would be a good colour combo... it is personal taste but you're dead right about there being too many black/grey/silver cars around.

even i'm doing something different with the datto on these lines.

GTam tell us what you think would be a good colour combo... it is personal taste but you're dead right about there being too many black/grey/silver cars around.

even i'm doing something different with the datto on these lines.

Hi Komi my usual philosophy is something on these lines,

1. Stick with a colour from the original colour card for that model if the original colour is something you dislike or you already have another car in a similar color.

2. Go with a color from other models of the same brand. A Ford blue for a Ford and Mazda yellow for a Mazda. However I would not go with a 2013 color for a 1980 model car. I think that it should be a colour from that era.

3. I would never put a color from a different manufacturer on a car unless your are turning it into your custom designed hot rod and are changing the original design. A Subaru WRX looks great in that bright metallic blue and an old British car is cool is old English white. It's crazy to try and switch the two, I'm sure you'll agree, although often you tend to see similar things happening :D

There are some exceptions I'm sure. A Fiat 500 would look great in a Ferrari yellow.....etc.

If I was doing a Capri I would go with a 70's colour from its original colour card. I mean the Capri was affectionately called the "Essex Ferrari" in England. The name "Capri" itself is so exciting. It's a car although technically not advanced for the time, that defined that era. So I believe that that era should be captured when resurrecting a Capri. Personally I would go with a bright 70's straight colour. Orange, Blue, Green whatever I would sleep over it for weeks before making a decision. But would never put a modern colour on a classic car. That would just kill its character IMHO.

• Like 4

I take a slightly differant view to GTAm.I think applying a modern colour to an older car is OK as long as the car can 'carry' that colour well.For Miss.Lumley I got the code out of a 2013 Maserati catalogue,and it's a pearlescent paint too, so it'definitely ain't a period color...The 2CV's color will be even more outrageous,but that's a stoner hippy wagon so anything goes....

To be honest the Capri is not one of those cars that can wear any colour,so choose wisely...

• Like 1

While I do agree with GTAm's philosophy, I think it would depend on the type of project. If it was a spec to spec restoration, I would try to stick to one of the original colours. But I have taken some 'liberties' with this one and has an engine which only appeared two generations later.

I never really liked any of the colours the Capri was offered in, except white. Which was my first choice, but had to call it off. I settled on a dark grey/black scheme to go for a little bit of an aggressive look (I imagined it with a little bit of a rake)

My father suggested the yellow it currently has, which was it's original colour. Though I dismissed the idea almost immediately, however.....

1969-ford-capri-gt-replica-coupe.jpg1969-ford-capri-gt-replica-coupe.jpg

as always, I am open to ideas and have enough time to ponder the choices. I will revisit the original Ford colour cards as well.

@MD, what are your thoughts on the dark grey I'm talking about?