• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Oil

mensoft

Question

Hi AL Experts ,

Its just a quick question . what is engine flush ? is it necessary to do when changing oil?

what is the best oil for old petrol car ?

these questions sound just very simple . but i need clear idea of this and the what exactly those Wxx and number mean ? and how to choose correct oil for the car ?

16 answers to this question

Yes your questions are simple. And they have been answered before.

So please use the search function to see what has been discussed about "engine flush", "Engine Oil" and "viscosity".. You will get the clear idea you want. Or just google it.

Note: I sincerely hope no-one wastes their time answering here which will only promote more such lazy questions being asked in the future.

• Like 1

Engine Flushes are not necessary if you change your oil on time with good quality oil. Benefits of doing an engine flush is they clean your engine and it will let engine oil provide proper lubrication since it cleans up passages. Cons are detergents in the flushes are not rubber parts friendly (seals, gaskets etc). if you haven't done an engine flush for a long time and you believe there is a lot of contamination flush can be a disaster because everything get loosen up and clog up the oil pick up screen.

Hi all ,

Thanks for the advises . i search on many sites and got an idea. but still im but confuse abt some are says its nothing to worry and no harm to the engine. and some are says after few days engine f _ _ _ ed up.

so who is wrong and who's right .

actually i consider abt flushing my engine because soon after i change oil it get really bad black color.

some one says in oil in petrol engine normal cant be that dark. do a flush and fill new oil.

what should i do ?

Hi all ,

Thanks for the advises . i search on many sites and got an idea. but still im but confuse abt some are says its nothing to worry and no harm to the engine. and some are says after few days engine f _ _ _ ed up.

so who is wrong and who's right .

actually i consider abt flushing my engine because soon after i change oil it get really bad black color.

some one says in oil in petrol engine normal cant be that dark. do a flush and fill new oil.

what should i do ?

Flushing old engines that has never been flushed is a bad idea. The same has to be said for radiators/cooling systems for more of the same reasons. The deposits may get released from their resting places and end up clogging the system.

If your oil turns dark quite quickly, the best thing to do is switch to a cheap but good oil (Ceypetco oils for example) but switch to a more regular oil change cycle, like every 2000km if you use the car regularly. This will soon clean your engine up and then you can go back to the normal service cycle.

If you really feel the urge to flush, flush once with oil before filling up again.

OP you refer to a old petrol car and then complaining on your oil turning into black color sooner than you expect. If you mean a car with a carb here, the chances are that you are running on a rich mixture and some of unburned carbon ending up in your oil sump. If this is the case then that should be attended to first. Other thing is whenever you change oil, change the filter as well and ensure that all the sludge accumulated on the bottom of the sump (this last bit is the worst of all) is flushed out before refilling. (For me changing oil begins with a hot engine, draining all night, blow with compressed air, close the plug and fill up about 1/4L of fresh oil and draining and blowing again, changing oil filter and filling up - very difficult time consuming process fit only for those who are crazy enough ). As advised by other above an engine flush will NOT solve your problem but may make things worse.

• Like 1

Hi All ,

Is it advisable to remove all the old oil and fill the engine with desal and start and keep idel just for a minit and remove all the desal and keep for a overnight till all get drop and fill new oil and the filter in next day and redy to go.

Hi All ,

Is it advisable to remove all the old oil and fill the engine with desal and start and keep idel just for a minit and remove all the desal and keep for a overnight till all get drop and fill new oil and the filter in next day and redy to go.

no

Just give a try "Motor up" from teleseen. I have seen good reviews about it in the internet, especially for old cars.

this i have seen and once have post a thred too.

most of ask if it that miracale why don't oil manifacturs put that on there oil and sell as new product .

it cant be just a hoax .

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/14310-motor-up/

Edited by mensoft

OP you refer to a old petrol car and then complaining on your oil turning into black color sooner than you expect. If you mean a car with a carb here, the chances are that you are running on a rich mixture and some of unburned carbon ending up in your oil sump. If this is the case then that should be attended to first. Other thing is whenever you change oil, change the filter as well and ensure that all the sludge accumulated on the bottom of the sump (this last bit is the worst of all) is flushed out before refilling. (For me changing oil begins with a hot engine, draining all night, blow with compressed air, close the plug and fill up about 1/4L of fresh oil and draining and blowing again, changing oil filter and filling up - very difficult time consuming process fit only for those who are crazy enough ). As advised by other above an engine flush will NOT solve your problem but may make things worse.

Rumesh88

Can you please elaborate a bit on engine blow with compressed air? How to do it and warnings.

Rumesh88 Can you please elaborate a bit on engine blow with compressed air? How to do it and warnings.

Once all the oil has drained off open the oil cap and blow air through the cam cover using a compressor. You can even do it with a handheld blower but make sure it is internally clean (ie no dust particles inside). A vacuum cleaner with a blower outlet (again no dust particles inside) is another alternative. When you do this keep an eye on the drain outlet for the last bit of thick oil sludge to come out. In fact after changing oil and filter at a service station just drive for 10 minutes and check the oil color. You would be surprised to see a slight discoloration of oil that you just changed. But if you go through the above procedure it takes out most of the remaining sludge accumulated on the flat bottom of the oil sump before you fill new oil in.

As I said before you do not have to be crazy to go through all this but it certainly helps if you are!

• Like 1

Once all the oil has drained off open the oil cap and blow air through the cam cover using a compressor. You can even do it with a handheld blower but make sure it is internally clean (ie no dust particles inside). A vacuum cleaner with a blower outlet (again no dust particles inside) is another alternative. When you do this keep an eye on the drain outlet for the last bit of thick oil sludge to come out. In fact after changing oil and filter at a service station just drive for 10 minutes and check the oil color. You would be surprised to see a slight discoloration of oil that you just changed. But if you go through the above procedure it takes out most of the remaining sludge accumulated on the flat bottom of the oil sump before you fill new oil in.

As I said before you do not have to be crazy to go through all this but it certainly helps if you are!

Thanks Rumesh88

That sounds interesting. The main issues which came to my mind is that air blower source with out dust particles.. The Don also said fill up oil after drain and run engine for a while and then change oil and filter. How bad is the dust issue? I think it's for hard particles aren't they? Because we can't find dust free one as there is always a chance of dislodging a stucked soft particles inside the blower.

Thanks Rumesh88 That sounds interesting. The main issues which came to my mind is that air blower source with out dust particles.. The Don also said fill up oil after drain and run engine for a while and then change oil and filter. How bad is the dust issue? I think it's for hard particles aren't they? Because we can't find dust free one as there is always a chance of dislodging a stucked soft particles inside the blower.

It is not that serious. You can use an improvised particulate filter like a piece of cloth to filter out particles, if you suspect any. Since the area of the oil cap is more than 10 times that of the drain plug, you don't need much air pressure at the inlet. Once I used a foot-bellow - the type used for toy inflatables - to do the job.

• Like 1