• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Disk Brake Conversion

gsumith

Question

I'm looking forward to do a REAR disk brake conversion on lancer A72(known as lancer box). Because the braking ability is very poor now. Is it possible to do such conversion?
I'm still an amateur in automobiles.
need advice from experts.

20 answers to this question

You'll have to check if the A72 can accept a rear axle from another Mitsubishi with rear disks. I'm not knowledgeable on these conversions, but from my research on vintage Corollas, it can be done. (most KE70s and KE20s that have been modded for track use have AE86 axles with rear disc brakes).

Before considering a rear-disk conversion, have you tried the usual quality brake pad replacements, service of the calipers, booster etc? From what I've read, 80% of the stopping power is generated from the front disks so good front disks will give you the stopping power you need.

You'll have to check if the A72 can accept a rear axle from another Mitsubishi with rear disks. I'm not knowledgeable on these conversions, but from my research on vintage Corollas, it can be done. (most KE70s and KE20s that have been modded for track use have AE86 axles with rear disc brakes).

thanks 4 ur sugestion

Before considering a rear-disk conversion, have you tried the usual quality brake pad replacements, service of the calipers, booster etc? From what I've read, 80% of the stopping power is generated from the front disks so good front disks will give you the stopping power you need.

Yeah, i've chkd wid a mechanic(not the REGULAR person), he said that "there is sum issues wid master pump and air is leaking and need 2 replace sum washers in brake system"

Yeah, i've chkd wid a mechanic(not the REGULAR person), he said that "there is sum issues wid master pump and air is leaking and need 2 replace sum washers in brake system"

So instead of addressing that issue you want to convert the rear brakes into discs to solve the problem. When you have a headache do you change the pillow?????

• Like 3

First of all, the model code of the Lancer 'Box' is A172 through A176. A72 is the first generation Lancer.

By saying "braking is poor", did you mean that the brake pedal travels closer to the floor board when you try to apply brakes or does the car still keep moving while the brake pedal is firmly pressed? Based on your mechanic's findings, I'm guessing it's the former. If so, repair the master pump or buy a brand new one (available at Panchikawatte and the prices are around 4000).

Did a disk brake conversion on a Lancer A72 a couple of years back and I had to settle with converting only the front because I could not find compatible Mitsubishi parts for the rear. The rear brakes of both the A72 and the Box are very much alike (interchangeable parts) with the only exception being the hand brake adjusting mechanism.

By saying "braking is poor", did you mean that the brake pedal travels closer to the floor board when you try to apply brakes or does the car still keep moving while the brake pedal is firmly pressed? Based on your mechanic's findings, I'm guessing it's the former. If so, repair the master pump or buy a brand new one (available at Panchikawatte and the prices are around 4000).

yeah, when i press the brake pedal i feel like that i'm pressing CLUTCH pedal,and car is still moving

yeah, when i press the brake pedal i feel like that i'm pressing CLUTCH pedal,and car is still moving

If that's the case, then I doubt going for a disk brake conversion will solve your problem. A 'spongy' brake pedal can be due to many reasons, air and/or water being inside the system is one of them. So your mechanic is probably right when he said that there's an issue with the master cylinder.

What I can suggest is you get him to bleed air out of the system and try if that sorts the issue. If it doesn't, you'll have to overhaul (or replace if necessary) the master cylinder. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you attend to it as soon as possible, and don't risk driving the car in this condition.

What I can suggest is you get him to bleed air out of the system and try if that sorts the issue. If it doesn't, you'll have to overhaul (or replace if necessary) the master cylinder. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you attend to it as soon as possible, and don't risk driving the car in this condition.

he already did it,but still the problem is on.

i think as u said i need 2 chk the master pump.

tnx 4 advice

finaly i've repaired the braking system.with followings:
-New master pump washer kit

-Axle oil seal

-New brake pads(rear only).....coz frnt is in gud condition
-Brake washer

but still the brakin power is not enough 4 me.
but mechanic says "it'll take tym, dat new brake pads get adjusted"

xperts plz hlp

-Axle oil seal

-Brake washer

xperts plz hlp

It does sometimes take a bit of running for liners/pads to get properly bedded in but it should not take very long. You seem to have done everything necessary assuming it was done correctly so just drive the car a bit and see.

Regardless, you cant expect modern levels of braking power from a lancer A72, but it should be able to brake quite well if everything is working properly.

-Axle oil seal

-Brake washer

xperts plz hlp

One of the common problems in the A72 rear brakes is that the hand brake adjusting mechanism wears out and that causes the brake pads to not adjust for optimum braking efficiency. The result is that you get a bit more pedal traversal than expected. Did your mechanic say anything about the hand brake mechanism being faulty?

As Supra_Natural has said, just give it a bit more time and see... if your brake drums are worn out, it does take a bit of time for the liners to seat perfectly with the drum when the brakes are applied.

One of the common problems in the A72 rear brakes is that the hand brake adjusting mechanism wears out and that causes the brake pads to not adjust for optimum braking efficiency. The result is that you get a bit more pedal traversal than expected. Did your mechanic say anything about the hand brake mechanism being faulty?

yeah,they've also replaced both handbrake cables

sory i failed to mention it

Regardless, you cant expect modern levels of braking power from a lancer A72, but it should be able to brake quite well if everything is working properly.

i think u r crct. i compared the brakin power with new car.

so i think i shouldnt speed abv 120 km/h or drive gntly