• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Full Service

nish1

Did you actually wait till 32000km to do a full service???? What's the car?

There's nothing called a cheap good place. Either its a good place or a cheap place.

Change engine oil, CHANGE (not clean) oil filter, CHANGE (not clean) air filter. That's the basic service. It shouldn't cost more than 10000 for an average car.

Did you actually wait till 32000km to do a full service???? What's the car?

There's nothing called a cheap good place. Either its a good place or a cheap place.

Change engine oil, CHANGE (not clean) oil filter, CHANGE (not clean) air filter. That's the basic service. It shouldn't cost more than 10000 for an average car.

No actually this is not the first service but now its the time to have the full service..Its a VITS KSP90 2008 modle..so what shoud it change and replace what tratments should it be done?

No actually this is not the first service but now its the time to have the full service..Its a VITS KSP90 2008 modle..so what shoud it change and replace what tratments should it be done?

So what was the 'partial' servicing you have been doing so far?

Amazing that cars run with this type of maintanance isn't it?????

• Like 1

At least once in your car's lifetime, give it what it deserves...

Don't be cheap, use good oil & filters.

Try not get conned by the service people who will try to add all sorts of treatment to your engine/fuel system.(This will keep your cost to a manageable amount)

Focus on the essential maintenance rather than wasting time & money on pointless(and probably foolish) things like "pressure washing the engine"

(like most of the "Allion/Premio" crowd) !

Amazing that cars run with this type of maintanance isn't it?????

Of course they do! I personally know of a person (a national from a neighboring country) who bought a brand new manual Corolla from the agents (not in SL) and ran it only with just pumping in gas and washing the car, not even availing the free services offered. After two years and around 40K Kms the engine seized and was overhauled. His response was "why change oil" in a typical neighboring country accent.

As for the OP, looks like his definition of a "full service" includes things we normally include in a "tune up". That seems to be the confusion here.

Edited by Rumesh88

Hi All,

I'm thinking for have service my car since now it has done around 32000,

So I would like to know what should I service(Oil changing,etc)

and cheap good place to get this done?

Thanks & Regards

Well the charges at most service stations are the same. If you want to keep the costs low but use quality products I suggest you get the car washed at the local service station with the standard spray of penetrating oil etc and then change the fluids with your local mechanic. I've noticed that the price of parts like filters and oil is more expensive at the service station than outside and sometimes they use whatever they have even though you have instructed them to use say Vic filters.

The standard service schedule should be something like, for a car run regularly change oil and filter every 5000km or 6 months whichever occurs first. At the same time top up all other fluids and optionally change gearbox oil if its a manual car. I change the oil on a car that doesn't run much (less than 3000 for the entire year) annually and I use semi synthetic or mineral oil. This avoids the dreaded sludge as the age related chemical breakdown of mineral oils seem to be better than synthetic.

You should change brake fluid and radiator coolant every 2 years or so for optimal performance.

I only change the air filter on inspection and it's a judgment call (officially you change it annually but some cars don't run enough for it to go bad) and fuel filter every couple of years.

The ATF fluid should be changed in line with manufacturer guidelines if original fluid is used but generally at least every 20,000 Km or so.

All of this is a case of prevention is better than cure.

What I do

1. Service my car 5000KMs or 6 months which comes first. You can see how much mud and other substances which leads to corrosion in your car when you do the under washing at the service station

2. Change Oil Filter with every service

3. Change Air filter after 2 Services (i.e. 10,000Kms or 15,000Kms). In Sri Lanka condition the Air filters get dust and will worn out very quickly.

4. ATF oil change at every 40,000Kms (modern cars give the indication)

5. At each service ask guys to check break fluids, battery water, Radiator coolant and any other checks

IN addition to regular services

1. Check and Service AC system at every 20,000Kms

2. Wheel alignment at every 10,000Kms

3. engine tune up every 40,000Kms (cleaning plugs and throttle body)

4. Shock absorber test every 40,000Kms

6. Check tyre pressure every 1 month.

If you treat your car well, it will treat you well.

There were some test done on abroad to check the quality of the oil which we change at 5000Kms. They have said that the oil is only 2/3 worn out and can easily do another 3000-4000Kms. But in Sri Lankan condition 5000Kms mean actually 7000Kms when you consider the idle time at traffics and hard acceleration and breaking.

If you treat your car well, it will treat you well.

SPOT ON!!!!

In fact a similar sentiment was expressed by a former Chairman of Unit#d Mot#rs Mr.Mahendra Amarasuriya when he addressed the members of the Mitsubishi Motors Club. He said "If you don't let your vehicle down, your vehicle will never let you down", that rings in my ears and I have followed that bit of advise and my vehicles have never let me down.

PS.

I am not sure if I can cite names of individuals and establishments on the forum. Mods if there is a violation of a rule/s please remove the post and my apologies.

Today I went to get the Subie's oil chaged at my usual place, and they said that since of late people are bringing in their cars less and less for regular service. When they do, they need more than an oil service sometimes. Hard times I suppose... but then my argument is, if you are not able to run and maintain a car, dont do it. Stick to public ytransport or a more managemable mode of transport.

think most of the guys have listed out what needs to be checked considering that you have run 32K on the car. Go through the car manual or the workshop manual for your car its available online for most models that will have a list of checks and services you need to do at specific intervals. I pity your car though when you buy a vehicle your responsible for the maintenance of it as well, by you not taking care of your vehicle your putting your self, passengers as well as other motorist on harms way. Think about it!

Best course of action to those who are mechanically challneged is to take the car to reputed places or the agents themselves. They will have a schedule of the required services and it will take the braincrunching thinking that most people will have to do... :)

There is an interesting question being posted here on body washes. Now I'm all for cleaning the outer body, but I'm not exactly sure whether pressure washing the under body is a good idea.

Yes it makes it clean and look nice, but this is not typically done in the rest of the world, and one might even argue the layers of mud on top of the undercoat provide a layer of protection against elements of the road.

What do you guys think?

Thank you all for your opinions.. Yeah it was my bad..I bought this car few months back but I could not do a proper service since I was busy..even it was not a problem to me since I took this from my known friend.. But I guess it's now time to service and it was mentioned it service schedule too.

where can buy engine oil /oilfilert for vitz scp10/airfilter for vitz/engine oil-mobil(I was using) ??

Edited by nish1

Today I went to get the Subie's oil chaged at my usual place, and they said that since of late people are bringing in their cars less and less for regular service. When they do, they need more than an oil service sometimes. Hard times I suppose... but then my argument is, if you are not able to run and maintain a car, dont do it. Stick to public ytransport or a more managemable mode of transport.
One alternative is to do the service your self.It ain't rocket science.You'll need to invest in a pressure washer or compressor and jack stands etc initially though.but the savings in the long run will be substantial especially if you have more than one car.

There is an interesting question being posted here on body washes. Now I'm all for cleaning the outer body, but I'm not exactly sure whether pressure washing the under body is a good idea.

Yes it makes it clean and look nice, but this is not typically done in the rest of the world, and one might even argue the layers of mud on top of the undercoat provide a layer of protection against elements of the road.

What do you guys think?

The layer of mud you talk about will retain moisture for prolonged periods and speed up the rusting process.Water splashing on to the undercarriage ocassionally will not do any harm as it will seep away and dry rapidly.Best is to pressure wash the underside twice a year and touch up the places where the undercoat has been damaged.

where can buy engine oil /oilfilert for vitz scp10/airfilter for vitz/engine oil-mobil(I was using) ??

You can get them anywhere!

Any shop that sells lubricants and consumables.

If you find it too difficult, try taking your car to a place like automiraj or even the agents and let them do it for you. That way, the chances of you ending up with a counterfeit would be less.Tell them to do nothing other than service with oil and filter change.

If you find it too difficult, try taking your car to a place like automiraj

Avoid the place opposite GermanTech Katubedda. Personal experience of an attempted rip off. At least if you go there be on your wits as to what they say needs to be done or replaced.

Edited by CJ5

I think now the service of the Auto Miraj is deteriorating. They perform lots of unnecessary jobs in the vehicle to make a very big bill (I think service supervisors get a commission).Now even they charge an extra amount if we bring the filters(Rs 200 per filter) from outside.

I think now the service of the Auto Miraj is deteriorating. They perform lots of unnecessary jobs in the vehicle to make a very big bill (I think service supervisors get a commission).Now even they charge an extra amount if we bring the filters(Rs 200 per filter) from outside.

AGREED. Once I went to service my vehicle and they are making lot of promotions to do the engine wash and all those nonsense which actually no need for new vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...
I suggest you get the car washed at the local service station with the standard spray of penetrating oil etc and then change the fluids with your local mechanic.

sometimes they use whatever they have even though you have instructed them to use say Vic filters.

Don,

What's that penetrating oil means? Is it the spray of oil to underneath part? If that's so why some say don't do it cause it's harm to rubber bushes? What's your view?

Seems like you prefer VIC filters. What's your view for oil filters over so called genuine?

• 4 weeks later...
Don, What's that penetrating oil means? Is it the spray of oil to underneath part? If that's so why some say don't do it cause it's harm to rubber bushes? What's your view? Seems like you prefer VIC filters. What's your view for oil filters over so called genuine?

Penetrating oil is a light lubricant suspended in a solvent like acetone, mainly intended for removing rusted bolts. You can mix ATF with acetone or common thinner to get the same effect. But use of penetrating oil for rust prevention is questionable but products like WD40 do provide rust protection t least in the short term. Apart from the obvious effects on rubber parts and the undercoating, I do not see penetrating providing much protection against rust. So, on a modern car it is better not to use it. As for your question on oil filters, if you change oil and the filter regularly together, I do not see a logic behind the use of genuine (OEM) filters. VIC is just as good. On the other hand if one is going to change a genuine filter every other oil change as many do, how would that provide a better protection?

• Like 2