• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

The all new Nissan Ariya !

Saw this beauty at TMS last year as a concept model and did not believe that Nissan would actually put it in to production almost as it was in concept form (see last few pics).

The all EV Crossover (which is about the size of a CX5) comes in either 2WD or 4WD. Both are offered in either 65 or 90 kWh options and the power output seems to range from 215hp to about 390hp depending on the drive train (0-100 seems to be within the 7-9sec range). Range seems to fall within the 400-450km bracket for the 65kWh variant and between 580 – 610 for the 90kWh.

Nissan is not having the best of times with their current lineup so it would be interesting to see how this would fair.
The launch website is here : www.thenissannext.com

...and I thought I saw somewhere that the starting price was around 5mil yen

Image may contain: carImage may contain: carImage may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: carImage may contain: people sitting and carNo photo description available.Image may contain: carImage may contain: carImage may contain: car and night

• Like 2

Either way....the name is going ot cause a lot of chuckles in Sri Lanka. If this thing was 0% duty/tariffs people will not buy it just because of the name :D Or they would buy it and re-badge it as some XTrail G Supiri or something :D 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Either way....the name is going ot cause a lot of chuckles in Sri Lanka. If this thing was 0% duty/tariffs people will not buy it just because of the name :D Or they would buy it and re-badge it as some XTrail G Supiri or something :D 

G-Supiri! ? 

While the Ariya seems decent (great interior, exterior- seems fair, Performance seems fair and range seems good.) I guess the only strong selling point is that Honda and Toyota haven't got anything better...Yet. 

But to make-up some of the lost glory Nissan really needs to punch above its weight to make any headway.

I mean right now they have a bunch of mediocre cars but nothing that's great. The GTR is aging, the 370z is old, the Leaf is irrelevant, their CUV's aren't selling well, no one buys their petrol pickups...etc. They really need to pull their socks up a bit! 

Edited by Kavvz

8 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Well the layout is not different and it is barely obvious on an actual badge...the difference is that the "Nissan" is not in a box anymore :) So lets hope that this would literally translate to knew breakthroughs for them :) Ironically some people have claimed that from a distance it looks very Opel like when the thing lights up

Like @Kavvz mentioned their product portfolio is not very exciting (including the GT-R). They are desperately trying to make the new cars more appealing. Yes..there is a new Z coming out but then again...that will not be enough to keep them afloat. Cars like the X-Trail, Sunny, etc....would be key and so far apart from the X-Trail and some of the Kei cars (borrowed from Mitsubishi)..everything else is still old. In Japan the X-Trail made a lot of ground during the absence of the CRV and RAV4 but fast lost ground once they were re-introduced. Now it will be interesting to see if it will be able to compete against the Outlander which will pretty mch be the XTrail in different body panels

Edited by iRage

13 hours ago, Kavvz said:

G-Supiri! ? 

While the Ariya seems decent (great interior, exterior- seems fair, Performance seems fair and range seems good.) I guess the only strong selling point is that Honda and Toyota haven't got anything better...Yet. 

But to make-up some of the lost glory Nissan really needs to punch above its weight to make any headway.

I mean right now they have a bunch of mediocre cars but nothing that's great. The GTR is aging, the 370z is old, the Leaf is irrelevant, their CUV's aren't selling well, no one buys their petrol pickups...etc. They really need to pull their socks up a bit! 

My sis is buying a new Juke. Interesting vehicle. Tech is quite interesting.

3 hours ago, Pericles said:

Is it ? I've seen it, but have largely dismissed it as I figuared I wasn't the target market: The new Juke does look quite sharp though and I'm glad its got some substance behind it too then; its certainly positioned to sell well under the new taxation scheme...

The agent's website doesn't say whether they are offering manual versions: Is she getting a manual version? Or one with a DCT? 

Edited by Kavvz

5 hours ago, Pericles said:

Checked out the Kicks over here (seems like they won't be releasing the Juke in Japan just yet). I must say I found it a lot more interesting and appealing than the Raize/Rocky.

I hope these bold new designs and tech Nissan is throwing out there helps them boost themselves up.

27 minutes ago, iRage said:

Checked out the Kicks over here (seems like they won't be releasing the Juke in Japan just yet). I must say I found it a lot more interesting and appealing than the Raize/Rocky.

I hope these bold new designs and tech Nissan is throwing out there helps them boost themselves up.

@iRage were you able to test drive it? If so how is the driving feel and comfort of the Kicks?

19 minutes ago, Dee Jay said:

@iRage were you able to test drive it? If so how is the driving feel and comfort of the Kicks?

Yes...it felt very detached when driving....steering  feel accelerator feel..typical Nissan e-feeling. The thing was nimble. It was an e-Power had some decent get up and go at low speeds but on the urban expressway it was not the quickest thing once you are at about 40ish and want to step up. Ride wise...plenty of space in there..feels more roomier than a Raize (not sure if it is actually larger or not). Ride was..well...just like a Note to be honest....firm and yet soft..a bit of a firm body roll in it. Decent rear leg space for an average Asian...but if you are more than 6 feet then it might get a little bit too cramped in the back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Yes...it felt very detached when driving....steering  feel accelerator feel..typical Nissan e-feeling. The thing was nimble. It was an e-Power had some decent get up and go at low speeds but on the urban expressway it was not the quickest thing once you are at about 40ish and want to step up. Ride wise...plenty of space in there..feels more roomier than a Raize (not sure if it is actually larger or not). Ride was..well...just like a Note to be honest....firm and yet soft..a bit of a firm body roll in it. Decent rear leg space for an average Asian...but if you are more than 6 feet then it might get a little bit too cramped in the back.

Thanks @iRage :)

7 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Is it ? I've seen it, but have largely dismissed it as I figuared I wasn't the target market: The new Juke does look quite sharp though and I'm glad its got some substance behind it too then; its certainly positioned to sell well under the new taxation scheme...

The agent's website doesn't say whether they are offering manual versions: Is she getting a manual version? Or one with a DCT? 

Definitely an auto :) Still not got it, coz its not cleared yet. I'm hoping it has some of the options from the UK version, which looks quite good. Really eager to see how the Android Auto options work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pericles said:

Definitely an auto :) Still not got it, coz its not cleared yet. I'm hoping it has some of the options from the UK version, which looks quite good. Really eager to see how the Android Auto options work.

You've always liked the joke haven't you ?

Just so you know...I typed Juke ! its auto correct that changed it :) Just too funny  

Edited by iRage

14 hours ago, Pericles said:

Android Auto has to be downloaded to the phone unlike Apple CarPlay. Unfortunately Google has decided we are not worthy of the application. You will need to use apkmirror to search for Android Auto and install.

I have personally used it and I can say that its a brilliant system, even your phone goes into the Android Auto mode which mirrors the screen. 

Hot off of Nissan global reveal of the Ariya....Nissan India revealed the Magnite concept.

Based on the Renault Triber, Nissan India claims it was designed by Nissan Japan especially for the Indian consumers (we all know what that means..).

Looks pretty funky though

EM2_Design-Poster-01-1.ximg_.l_12_h1.jpg?_ga=2.105233347.1378548610.1593861668-24795085.1578114404EM2_Design-Poster-03-1.ximg_.l_6_h.smart_.jpg?_ga=2.211147605.1378548610.1593861668-24795085.1578114404 

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Hot off of Nissan global reveal of the Ariya....Nissan India revealed the Magnite concept.

Based on the Renault Triber, Nissan India claims it was designed by Nissan Japan especially for the Indian consumers (we all know what that means..).

Looks pretty funky though

EM2_Design-Poster-01-1.ximg_.l_12_h1.jpg?_ga=2.105233347.1378548610.1593861668-24795085.1578114404EM2_Design-Poster-03-1.ximg_.l_6_h.smart_.jpg?_ga=2.211147605.1378548610.1593861668-24795085.1578114404 

Lets hope they put some big alloys instead of the Indian norm of going with small wheels. Nissan has understood that India is a big market and they are offering a product specially for India which is good. With the kind of pricing expected this should do well and maybe help Nissan come out of the red and if what they did Aria is repeated with the concept becoming a reality without much changes then this will be a good looker as well.

• 2 weeks later...

The end of the road for the Pajero...

The global fate of the Pajero was uncertain once Mitsubishi announced that the Pajero was being discontinued for the Japanese market. Yesterday, the manufacturer cleared out all those uncertainties. On July 28th....Mitsubishi announced that they will be closing down the Pajero production plant, Pajero Manufacturing Co. Ltd. The plant will completely close down by September 2021.  The Delica D:5 and the Outlander which is also produced there will be moved to other production facilities.

Here is a great write up of the plant and what it meant for Mitsubishi from JapaneseNostalgic Cars...

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/mitsubishi-pajero-montero-ending-production/

However...is this the end of the road for the Pajero ?

Apparently not. There are whispers (buzz created by Mitsubishi themselves) that a large-suv based on the Nissan Patrol (Y62) might be launched. This makes sense as the next gen Outlander itself is supposed to share the X-Trail's platform. So...the Pajero as we know it will seize to exist and...well...let's hope Nissan's new line-up which they seem to share with Mitsubishi will actually be less boring.

29 minutes ago, iRage said:

The end of the road for the Pajero...

The global fate of the Pajero was uncertain once Mitsubishi announced that the Pajero was being discontinued for the Japanese market. Yesterday, the manufacturer cleared out all those uncertainties. On July 28th....Mitsubishi announced that they will be closing down the Pajero production plant, Pajero Manufacturing Co. Ltd. The plant will completely close down by September 2021.  The Delica D:5 and the Outlander which is also produced there will be moved to other production facilities.

Here is a great write up of the plant and what it meant for Mitsubishi from JapaneseNostalgic Cars...

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/mitsubishi-pajero-montero-ending-production/

However...is this the end of the road for the Pajero ?

Apparently not. There are whispers (buzz created by Mitsubishi themselves) that a large-suv based on the Nissan Patrol (Y62) might be launched. This makes sense as the next gen Outlander itself is supposed to share the X-Trail's platform. So...the Pajero as we know it will seize to exist and...well...let's hope Nissan's new line-up which they seem to share with Mitsubishi will actually be less boring.

Its a sad ending but given the circumstances I think the merger was a good solution for MMC and Nissan. A friend said that the vans will be rebadged as MMC, but Nissan was going to use the MMC platforms for the mid size SUV's.

Maybe they dont see a market for the Pajero / Montero along with the Patrol. Could also be based on the US market Pathfinder.

Was not a big fan of the new rounded off soccer mom type Patrol, but having seen some videos of the vehicle doing off road driving perceptions have changed.

Yeah...there is a lot of cross pollination going around like the new X-Trail and Outlander. Now it seems like the Pajero is being put on the Patrol.  The Pajero/Patrol platform sharing rumor has been around since early this year. Yes..the Patrol seems larger but on one hand that is mostly the body dimensions whilst the frame is only marginally larger...so there easily could be a narrow/small body variant of the platform put in place.. Then on the other hand...based on the concept models Mitsu has been showing off at the motorshows over the last decade...for the design to work they would need a large body...so maybe they were planning on making the vehicle larger and positioning it against the full-size Land Cruiser as opposed to the Prado. Also..the Pathfinder is small and fits more in live with the Pajero Sport and Fortuner. So the full size Pajero being based on that would sort of dilute the market for the Pajero Sport.

As for vans...well..apart from the Delica (which is what...13 years old now ?)...Mitsubishi has not had a "van" since 2011 (when Mazda stopped producing the Bongo and just turned it in to a rebadged Hiace).  Nissan vans are really not doing well in Japan (or in most other Asian markets) so not sure if that would actually give Mitsu any boost it badly needs.