• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

13 hours ago, Kavvz said:

I remember driving a friends Civic once, and feeling a bit shattered at how much nicer his car was to drive! A Civic! :D)

I guess Nissan tends to set up the 1.5L engined cars to primarily maximize fuel economy which means the CVT is looking to keep engine rev's as low as possible; hence the 'dullness'.

Definitely Nissan 1.5L CVT is extreamly efficient with my experience.

As for Civic 1.5T CVT  with my experience it was little fun for a CVT trans when Traction control is off. I was able to get little wheel spin. However couple of time i felt something like a slip when i brake torque to get some faster acceleration. I don't know if the 'brake torque' is the correct term I was pressing brake pedal and gas at the same time to get higher revs before i let go. This is when I felt the slip on a new car. Again I don't know if its a slip on transmission or is it from brakes.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lexus IS....the last...

update/face-lift of the E30 series 1f642.png:)
Today Lexus revealed the much awaited final update for the E30 series IS.
Apart from the obvious visual enhancements, Other improvements include a slightly different engine setup and a new active suspension system. I must admit the new look has grown on me. Glad to see that the F Sport treatment to the IS actually makes it look a little bit more aggressive (still not a F car though).

The new model is supposed to be launched in 2021 as a 2022 model (rumored to have a proper F version as well)...so this update will see the current series to an end (the E30 was launched in 2013).

Not a big fan of the lazy, low-slung, connected rear lights though...hmmm

Image may contain: car, sky, outdoor and natureImage may contain: car and outdoor, text that says 'SPORT'Image may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: car, ocean and outdoorImage may contain: carImage may contain: carImage may contain: carImage may contain: people sitting

• Like 1

The new Nissan X-Trail...well..it could be.

Earlier on Nissan US revealed the new Nissan Rogue for the US market. Since the Rogue has been the US market equivalent to the Nissan X-Trail, it is believed that the new X-Trail will look pretty much the same.

The new X-Trail will share the platform with the next gen Mitsubishi Outlander. Nissan Japan did mention earlier this year that the new X-Trail may have a PHEV variant (with the system borrowed from the Outlander PHEV).

It does look quite luxurious....and nice...but has a very New Santa Fe like silhouette. hope the much needed mechanical improvements have been made.

pF-wH-g9JETAksVQmYc0wlzk0wVnkIUsDV6QETCi8zEp2Rhlu3XJiSNGYAOwDaAV18P0_Z-7y1wY5MCX8kqnQuW7RG1FyMe2mWWGHCB0AdOF55YrO7Rz2x-oaSaXyqa5nn8d1gMUIqq3M6bQbhuBr1VIIXZis4UKkevyQWq48DuoXkjLTx1ce4r9VhB2LhNBUk12uNcwH_AaWNtPKS-UlA==pF-wH-g9JETAksVQmYc0wlzk0wVnkIUsDV6QETCi8zEp2Rhlu3XJiSNGYAOwDaAV18P0_Z-7y1wY5MCX8kqnQuW7RG1FyMe2mWWGHCB0AdO6FRM5NTqwYEtwGSaE_tItyP38yyhSeoHhG1trEyHcXAWNzutQK6mjCwl01Qwp1KbETiNLk3xRCRmKdkWOwn3C5pboa6ITLP1A7czlh5ASmA==pF-wH-g9JETAksVQmYc0wlzk0wVnkIUsDV6QETCi8zEp2Rhlu3XJiSNGYAOwDaAV18P0_Z-7y1wY5MCX8kqnQuW7RG1FyMe2mWWGHCB0AdM9AsYu2-uLABnNdgN3_GhJqLazQ6TmJd3XijqNu4UUNfSZaN1hLY6UTJaVjVCAIoRDoMRSIW1HxRYI2nYDyhSdH7pHrk-_CRkQxfi_matVYA==pF-wH-g9JETAksVQmYc0wlzk0wVnkIUsDV6QETCi8zEp2Rhlu3XJiSNGYAOwDaAV18P0_Z-7y1wY5MCX8kqnQuW7RG1FyMe2mWWGHCB0AdMVWFtEd3rhxmGMGq2xD1eb4sQglkoz5Lt2CfJNJmv8IvVoUxGmmSWhub7WYIDwWn-5qMJ33Vw7rtyotLHLE97wc9FBsBTb2b5xZ2OcPxaIyA==pF-wH-g9JETAksVQmYc0wlzk0wVnkIUsDV6QETCi8zEp2Rhlu3XJiSNGYAOwDaAV18P0_Z-7y1wY5MCX8kqnQuW7RG1FyMe2mWWGHCB0AdPQ8VWCNkllLtxD_WeizDtzc06TTDhEjNPBkwvsYcCDerLRAr3Q1PWYTeWNeUggHSV2z2crVzL_5ammuZKx5a9jUFYUWqjlCwVvciR_l0gtow==pF-wH-g9JETAksVQmYc0wlzk0wVnkIUsDV6QETCi8zEp2Rhlu3XJiSNGYAOwDaAV18P0_Z-7y1wY5MCX8kqnQuW7RG1FyMe2mWWGHCB0AdPcPztj_D7aDIFbNUO58OfqYFljI8kk_JcdHNBa0rj_p4PxAjhXhr0t9cQZ9i73F2cuDU6RuUHWPQgY2Ev1T5LX8gUhBfzPbFhlwaj3qHfcNw==pF-wH-g9JETAksVQmYc0wlzk0wVnkIUsDV6QETCi8zEp2Rhlu3XJiSNGYAOwDaAV18P0_Z-7y1wY5MCX8kqnQuW7RG1FyMe2mWWGHCB0AdP8hHSQaksunL7neiEMQ91cB8pGwYxluNynLh8wTdkc5k3KxYZoFNeiPURbs5sL99IlqknH9aLJZRV9a-LFsJmq1heDsfA_J40HHTl4GIREtw==pF-wH-g9JETAksVQmYc0wlzk0wVnkIUsDV6QETCi8zEp2Rhlu3XJiSNGYAOwDaAV18P0_Z-7y1wY5MCX8kqnQuW7RG1FyMe2mWWGHCB0AdM1gMdwIA8K9KYJ23r1wCKhf8dzX3zMUittC1dylLApJU2DlUYPu1BG5FRWm4cpxF1_RjJ6CgbbETCQ9LRCQm_IB9ty5GDqWDbUh3wC-FVUVg==pF-wH-g9JETAksVQmYc0wlzk0wVnkIUsDV6QETCi8zEp2Rhlu3XJiSNGYAOwDaAV18P0_Z-7y1wY5MCX8kqnQuW7RG1FyMe2mWWGHCB0AdORa-w1-o0xTAS0CODP-RF_spwHm8Nlqc7Wc4f-NfH6oresBFtuyREN1vrC6QKk8T_NY3I68gS4Em3rNOoPgdWh9sf5sTzFpSuPJe8ON8f7GA==

4 hours ago, iRage said:

Lexus IS....the last...

update/face-lift of the E30 series 1f642.png:)
Today Lexus revealed the much awaited final update for the E30 series IS.
Apart from the obvious visual enhancements, Other improvements include a slightly different engine setup and a new active suspension system. I must admit the new look has grown on me. Glad to see that the F Sport treatment to the IS actually makes it look a little bit more aggressive (still not a F car though).

The new model is supposed to be launched in 2021 as a 2022 model (rumored to have a proper F version as well)...so this update will see the current series to an end (the E30 was launched in 2013).

Not a big fan of the lazy, low-slung, connected rear lights though...hmmm

Image may contain: car, sky, outdoor and nature

Loving the exterior design! Even that spindle grill doesn't look so ludicious anymore! And a proper F-Sport? Oh boy! That'll be one to watch out for! ?

• Like 1

Stepping aside from car releases...

Toyota Gazoo Racing developed the GR Yaris with the intention of running it in the WRC starting 2021, thus the whole rush to homologate the car and the rally based development Toyota has been going on about. However, earlier this week Toyota announced that it will use the current Yaris WRC for the 2021 season as well. The reason being that the new Hybrid power train requirements for the WRC are coming in to effect in 2022 and that the rally testing and prepping R&D for the new GR Yaris for just one season is not worth it. Apparently they will be working on the Hybrid solution for the GR Yaris.

Sad....

KR_photo-Jarno-Saari-3_a.jpg

mainvisual_pc.png

• Like 1

No ! No ! No ! Say it isn't so !

The Lexus LC F is cancelled ???!!!

The Lexus LC F was much looked forward to.

Nothing has been confirmed yet....seems like only Mag-X has reported in their print edition. Hope its just an inaccurate buzz 1f641.png:(

What is the LC F ? A fully fledged F Sport variant of the Lexus LC which was to debut a 4L V8 Twin Turbo power house with 600+ hp 1f61b.png:P It was suppose to revive a true, fully fledged F line up of sporty cars for Lexus by bringing back the LFA-ish-ness. Not to mention that Lexus did claim it could slay the LFA...

*** Images are renderings because Lexus never revealed the design Image may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: carImage may contain: car and text

Edited by iRage

Did the world need this ? Do we really need more crossovers...Raize/Rocky, CHR, (C-SUV soon to come out), RAV4, Harrier, Prado, LC200/300, Kicks, Juke, XTrail and the list goes on...

Thanks to the Toyota Suzuki partnership, we the world have now received the Suzuki ACross. its pretty much a rebadged RAV4 PHV with some very minimal front-end change. I mean c'mon ! Even the changed front looks very very Toyota-ish !!!

Image may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: carImage may contain: car 

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Did the world need this ? Do we really need more crossovers...Raize/Rocky, CHR, (C-SUV soon to come out), RAV4, Harrier, Prado, LC200/300, Kicks, Juke, XTrail and the list goes on...

Thanks to the Toyota Suzuki partnership, we the world have now received the Suzuki ACross. its pretty much a rebadged RAV4 PHV with some very minimal front-end change. I mean c'mon ! Even the changed front looks very very Toyota-ish !!!

Image may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: carImage may contain: car 

In India Toyota brands the Baleno as a Glanza. So now Suzuki is using the Rav4 as a crossover for them. Interesting, Suzuki were the first to get into the crossover market with the Vitara in the 80's now it has come to a point that they have to rebrand a competitor for the Vitara as a Suzuki. Seems like this is how the world moves.

15 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

In India Toyota brands the Baleno as a Glanza. So now Suzuki is using the Rav4 as a crossover for them. Interesting, Suzuki were the first to get into the crossover market with the Vitara in the 80's now it has come to a point that they have to rebrand a competitor for the Vitara as a Suzuki. Seems like this is how the world moves.

Yeah....this is the second part of the agreement between Toyota and Suzuki...the first part involved Toyota getting Suzuki's small cars in certain markets (which sort of pissed off Daihatsu as well because Toyota was getting in to bed with its major competitor). The other part to it was that Suzuki gets Toyota's Hybrid and Electric Vehicle tech and cars

Nice looking CUV though, but I'm biased as I think the Rav4 is a pretty nice looking (and well thought out) CUV....

Is the Suzuki ACross (weird name though!) priced cheaper than the Toyota Rav4 its based on @iRage? If so they might be onto something there, as I guess it would make sense to rebrand it and sell it at a lower trim / price bracket and boost bottom lines at both sides a bit rather than compete with each other...I mean no point Suzuki spending money developing a competing model only to have the Rav4 come kick it in the nuts...?

Edited by Kavvz

3 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Nice looking CUV though, but I'm biased as I think the Rav4 is a pretty nice looking (and well thought out) CUV....

Is the Suzuki ACross (weird name though!) priced cheaper than the Toyota Rav4 its based on @iRage? If so they might be onto something there, as I guess it would make sense to rebrand it and sell it at a lower trim / price bracket and boost bottom lines at both sides a bit rather than compete with each other...I mean no point Suzuki spending money developing a competing model only to have the Rav4 come kick it in the nuts...?

Could be market specific, anyone buying a RAV4 will not buy a rebadged Suzuki. What ever said and done Suzuki through Maruti is still roosting the roost in India, Toyota have not been successful in India as much as Suzuki so they went with the rebadged Baleno. The ACross I dont know which market would buy it. Maybe Europe as Suzuki has issues with emissions in the EU which has forced them to drop the Jimny from that market. 

@iRage Suzuki has their own mild hybrids going around with the Swift and all, but they never were successful. 

Well..so far the Across is announced for the European market whilst other markets are still being planned for. Even for the European market...the RAV4 has a pretty well established name for itself...so what comes of it is yet to be seen. I have not seen the prices yet.

So it is confirmed ! The big news to be announced on the 8th of July by Mazda (which they have been teasing about since May or so)..is that there will be a Turbo charged hot version of the Mazda 3. Would be nice if it made it to Asia....

https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-mazda-3-turbo-will-get-at-least-227-horsepower-1844278962?fbclid=IwAR23Y8vbX23k994zac5j4h_LwYmEF-UlkItUoovOlWtRb5sch_7dSqbrBCE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iRage said:

So it is confirmed ! The big news to be announced on the 8th of July by Mazda (which they have been teasing about since May or so)..is that there will be a Turbo charged hot version of the Mazda 3. Would be nice if it made it to Asia....

https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-mazda-3-turbo-will-get-at-least-227-horsepower-1844278962?fbclid=IwAR23Y8vbX23k994zac5j4h_LwYmEF-UlkItUoovOlWtRb5sch_7dSqbrBCE

What-do-ya mean it would be nice if it came to Asia!! They are giving a turbo charged MazdaSpeed to the bloody Americans and not giving ASIA- the mothership one? *#@! What on earth has the world come to? 

Edited by Kavvz

5 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Whaddya mean would me nice if it cake to Asia!! They are giving one to the bloody Americans and not giving US the mothership one? *#@! What on earth has the world come to??

It would be nice at a very premium price upwards of 20mil :D (2.5l engine if you work out the duty it will be close to 16mil, you ad the luxury tax and CIF and there's your price)

6 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

What-do-ya mean it would be nice if it came to Asia!! They are giving a turbo charged MazdaSpeed to the bloody Americans and not giving ASIA- the mothership one? *#@! What on earth has the world come to? 

Well..they put the same engine on a Mazda 6 and their crossovers..sadly they were not offered in Asia for quite sometime and some still do not get offered with the high power engine. So you never know...

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

It would be nice at a very premium price upwards of 20mil :D (2.5l engine if you work out the duty it will be close to 16mil, you ad the luxury tax and CIF and there's your price)

Ah! Very sobering...yeah definitely going to be mad expensive and I can see how people would gravitate towards something else at those prices... Sad. Man! 20 mil on a Mazda 3 Whew! This tax structure- I tell you!

And seriously, I can't even say we should get rid of it given the state of affairs. I mean recovery after COVID-19 is going to consume a LOT of tax money...sigh. 

I can do my part but the Government needs to buck-up and do its part at cutting some expenses as well: The first thing that needs to go are some of the 225 donkeys we have, and their massive stabling costs.... ?

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

Feeling Cross about all these Crosses...

...and we have another one. Just a month or so after the Yaris Cross...Toyota unveiled the Corolla Cross ! Although it carries the Corolla badge it looks nothing like one and is more like a shrunken RAV4

It was launched in Thailand with two power options...1.8L gasoline or 1.8L Hybrid. The Corolla Cross uses the same platform as the new Corolla and the CHR. Its slightly longer, wider and taller than the CHR. Following the launch in Thailand, other markets are supposed to get them with more market specific specs....

Toyota had been hinting of a crossover that slots in between the CHR and the RAV4 with its C-UV concept...so now we have it I suppose.

Image may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: cloud, sky, car, outdoor and natureNo photo description available.Image may contain: people sittingImage may contain: one or more people and people sittingNo photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, GK_007 said:

Looking great inside out

As much as I dislike the abundance of crossovers in every shape and size..I must admit..this does look pretty nice and elegant. Looks much better than the CHR, Yaris Cross and Raize (for me at least)

2 hours ago, iRage said:

...and we have another one. Just a month or so after the Yaris Cross...Toyota unveiled the Corolla Cross ! Although it carries the Corolla badge it looks nothing like one and is more like a shrunken RAV4

It was launched in Thailand with two power options...1.8L gasoline or 1.8L Hybrid. The Corolla Cross uses the same platform as the new Corolla and the CHR. Its slightly longer, wider and taller than the CHR. Following the launch in Thailand, other markets are supposed to get them with more market specific specs....

Toyota had been hinting of a crossover that slots in between the CHR and the RAV4 with its C-UV concept...so now we have it I suppose.

Image may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: cloud, sky, car, outdoor and natureNo photo description available.Image may contain: people sittingImage may contain: one or more people and people sittingNo photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.

ohh boy Toyota seems to be in a roll when it comes to crossovers :D

It looks good both inside and out!! The modern Toyota exteriors and interiors are really nice when compared with the older models! 

Sadly don't know if it will ever make it to Sri Lanka with the current tax structure unless they mate it to the 1.2T engine you get with the other Corollas and CHRs..

Edited by Dee Jay

8 hours ago, iRage said:

Will be a good seller, just because of the Brand and the model name. Bring it with a 1000cc engine and the Sri Lankans would flock to buy this even at a premium.

15 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Will be a good seller, just because of the Brand and the model name. Bring it with a 1000cc engine and the Sri Lankans would flock to buy this even at a premium.

It is manufactured in Thailand and most likely will not be offered in Japan. Likely hood of 1.2L (CVT) may be remote.

Even for the Corolla 1.2L offered in very selected markets outside Japan

1 hour ago, kush said:

It is manufactured in Thailand and most likely will not be offered in Japan. Likely hood of 1.2L (CVT) may be remote.

Even for the Corolla 1.2L offered in very selected markets outside Japan

Some local journalists had asked Toyota's PR department about it and their response has been that it will not be introduced in the Japanese market "YET". The release in the Japanese market apparently will be based on upcoming market trends following the release of the Yaris Cross. So in other words they seem to be hoping to sell a lot of the Yaris Crosses in Japan and then as that starts tapering off along with the boredom of the CHR sets in among consumers; introduce the Corolla Cross if the Japanese consumers are still hungry for crossovers and want something new (i.e. keep them from drifting off to other brands).

I seriously do not know why they needed this wide range of crossovers (leading up to SUVs).Toyota's further explanation has been that the RAIZE and Corolla Cross are more in kin with the RAV4 and are outdoorsy and rugged. The Yaris Cross and CHR are apparently more in kin with the Harrier and aims to be more softer and elegant. WTH ????  It would  have made sense for the CorCro to replace the CHR and then have it in two different trims (one outdoorsy and one more pavement princessy). Same with the Yaris Cross...just simply replace the Raize and have two trim levels. In many ways...its almost like they are going back to what they were doing way back in the 60s onwards...creating sister cars out of the same platform to appeal to different tastes (Chaser - Mark II - Cresta, etc...). Its just that this time around they do not have specific dealership lines...every dealership sells everything. 

As for engines...what has been shows right now is what is destined for the Thai (SEA) market, which pretty much is the same as what you get for the higher spec Corolla range. Toyota's statement was that as the vehicle is introduced to other markets there will be more market specific specifications changes made. So my guess is it will follow what ever Corolla power trains are there for each of the markets. Even the 8NR-FTE (1.2L Turbo)...yes it is only in a very few models outside of Japan. However..the same engine (I am sure there are some minor differences) coded as 9NR-FTE is there on quite a few other models. So..yeah...go figure...