• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

2 hours ago, ajm said:

Toyota finally passing the hybrid bridge and reaching the full-EV turf.

Must have ben a lot of work to get through their Design quality gates (DRBFM etc) ,so should not flop like the Leafs in our climate.

https://global.toyota/jp/newsroom/toyota/30063152.html

range:100km price?

Yeah...these were being worked on for like ever and you could see a little bit more added on to it every year at MegaWeb and at the motor-shows....however, this is till not commercially available...they are only to be released as personal mobility vehicles at the Future Expo in Japan in 2020. So that is kind of like their real-word test before putting it out in to the mass market. Also, still they are not sold as full-sized EV cars like the Leaf. For that they have been cozying up with a lot of Chinese manufacturers....

On the other hand...Mazda is supposed to preview/release their full EV car at the Tokyo Motorshow in two weeks time. 

CHR GR Sport 1f642.png:)

Toyota has given the CHR a face-lift. but the more exciting news is that the CHR will now have GR Sport variant.

In the GAZOO Racing tuning hierarchy GR Sport is the lowest level of tuning but it still makes a huge difference to the usually boring car....so it will have extra welds, braces, stiffer coils and shocks and most fun of all a 6MT 1f642.png

トヨタC-HRがフェイスリフト。高性能版のGRスポーツや、6速MTモデルも追加されるトヨタC-HRがフェイスリフト。高性能版のGRスポーツや、6速MTモデルも追加されるToyota C-HR is a facelift.  High-performance version of GR Sport and 6-speed MT model will also be added

Edited by iRage

Toyota has planned to introduce new van to the Japan market as GranAce, which is basically the Granvia sold in export market. Its a passenger version of the 300 series Hiace. The van is 5300mm in length, 1970mm in width and 1990 in height.

It will be offered as either as six or eight seater. The power plant under the bonnet would be the 1GD mated to a six speed transmission. Toyota hasn't confirmed the power figures, however I assume it would be similar to the Granvia(130kw@3400rpm and 450nm@1600-2400rpm). I expect the weight of the van would be between 2600-2700kg. It would be interesting to see how this would fair in the Japanese market, it seems like it would eat into the Alphard/Velfire market. 

Note: This isn't a replacement for the Hiace 200 series, This is more like bringing back the Granvia/Super Custom, Sometime back Toyota confirmed that they wouldn't introduce the export 300 series to the Japan market but instead continue with the ongoing 200 series(Its probably because its too big) for now.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/29933304.html

20191008_01_01_s-1620x1080.jpg

20191008_01_05_s-1-1620x1080.jpg

20191008_01_03_s-1620x1080.jpg

20191008_01_11_s-1535x1080.jpg

20191008_01_10_s-1620x1080.jpg

20191008_01_07_s-1680x903.jpg

Edited by Magnum

On 10/8/2019 at 6:16 PM, iRage said:

The new Toyota GrandAce will be sold in Japan as a luxury mini executive coach.

Since the Alphard/Vellfire is going ot merge in to one vehicle Toyota wants to put this as a larger option.

New car Grand Ace (Tokyo Motor Show 2019 Toyota body booth display model)New car Grand Ace (Tokyo Motor Show 2019 Toyota body booth display model)New car Grand Ace (Tokyo Motor Show 2019 Toyota body booth display model)4-row 8-seater design sketch

@Magnum...as above..Alphard/Vellfire gets merged in to one and then this is going to be placed as a executive limo van.

46 minutes ago, iRage said:

@Magnum...as above..Alphard/Vellfire gets merged in to one and then this is going to be placed as a executive limo van.

Makes sense, I just checked the specs of Alphard and this is much bigger than the Alphard in both dimension and weight.

21 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Makes sense, I just checked the specs of Alphard and this is much bigger than the Alphard in both dimension and weight.

Yes....this will be in a segment above the Alphard...but lower than the luxury small micro-buses. This might also be a replacement for the 200 series commuter/microbus.  

The New Honda FIT...

Official release will be at the Tokyo Motorshow...

I am a bit disappointed...I expected it to look a bit more edgier and sporty like in the past. Now it just looks cute and chubby....
Power train choices have not been revealed yet (I think) but obviously there is PHEV option. As for the grades..they have "5 grades with names like : “Basic”, “Home”, “Ness”, “Kloster” and “Luxe”.

RES_327874_1_1.jpgRES_327874_1_4.jpgRES_327874_1_10.jpgRES_327874_1_13.jpgRES_327874_1_9.jpgRES_327874_1_6.jpg

1 hour ago, iRage said:

The New Honda FIT...

Official release will be at the Tokyo Motorshow...

I am a bit disappointed...I expected it to look a bit more edgier and sporty like in the past. Now it just looks cute and chubby....
Power train choices have not been revealed yet (I think) but obviously there is PHEV option. As for the grades..they have "5 grades with names like : “Basic”, “Home”, “Ness”, “Kloster” and “Luxe”.

RES_327874_1_1.jpgRES_327874_1_4.jpgRES_327874_1_10.jpgRES_327874_1_13.jpgRES_327874_1_9.jpgRES_327874_1_6.jpg

Less 'aggressive' than the previous version - and still retaining the bubbly/friendly family hatch genes of the original Fit from the early 2000's 

• 2 weeks later...

It has a ground clearance of 185mm, up to 4 usb ports, 360 camera etc. Probably more practical than a CHR with better visibility and similar boot space. The interior is not as upmarket as a CHR though and probably will not be as good to drive. Will be a good alternative for anyone considering a Suzuki Vitara or a Toyota CHR. 

51_1_10_1_030.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CNX said:

It has a ground clearance of 185mm, up to 4 usb ports, 360 camera etc. Probably more practical than a CHR with better visibility and similar boot space. The interior is not as upmarket as a CHR though and probably will not be as good to drive. Will be a good alternative for anyone considering a Suzuki Vitara or a Toyota CHR. 

51_1_10_1_030.jpg

This should have been the Rush / Terrios

2 hours ago, CNX said:

will not be as good to drive

Yeah - the engine on this is actually a 1KR-VET a turbo charged variant of the 1KR found on Vitz etc - max output around 97 BHP might be ok to tug the vehicle if it's super light. (AFAIK The CHR has 110-120 BHP) 

In SL this is more hype than what it actually is to be honest...yes it will be highly popular in SL because of the Toyota badge and the low tax bracket; but it is not a proper mini SUV. EDIT Toyota calls it a passenger car that features the styling of a SUV, so it is not a mini SUV like the Jimny (which is an ACTUAL mini SUV). Its just a crossover hatch/mini-two-box in a high ground clearance configuration. I checked out the Daihatsu variant at the Tokyo Motorshow...it does not have the refinement as the CHR....it feels more like a budget Vitara with a Toyota interior in it and a slightly upscale Jimny. I would not put it as an alternate for the CHR at all...totally different league....perhaps a good and definite alternative for the Kwid and other budget SUVs and the Jimny if you want more space than the Jimny and do not mind having the off-road capability. 

Yes..it is a 1KR-VET...but it has been completely re-done apparently..so would be interesting to see what it is like.....

and yes...this is kind of like the Rush/Terios/Cami. I like the Daihatsu front end more to be honest

image.png.b4f505e0ebb88047e80205ec73c64fcd.pngimage.thumb.png.70b0942104b98fbd6dc6de57a416c85c.pngimage.png.dce3d1583f316dc1052137b8985ef751.pngimage.png.600e1bc79ab37b87c0edf5b467a489e6.png

Edited by iRage

26 minutes ago, iRage said:

In SL this is more hype than what it actually is to be honest...yes it will be highly popular in SL because of the Toyota badge and the low tax bracket; but it is not a proper mini SUV although Toyota calls it a mini SUV, so it is not like the Jimny (which is an ACTUAL mini SUV). Its just a crossover hatch/mini-two-box in a high ground clearance configuration. I checked out the Daihatsu variant at the Tokyo Motorshow...it does not have the refinement as the CHR....it feels more like a budget Vitara with a Toyota interior in it and a slightly upscale Jimny. I would not put it as an alternate for the CHR at all...totally different league....perhaps a good and definite alternative for the Kwid and other budget SUVs and the Jimny if you want more space than the Jimny and do not mind having the off-road capability. 

Yes..it is a 1KR-VET...but it has been completely re-done apparently..so would be interesting to see what it is like.....

and yes...this is kind of like the Rush/Terios/Cami. I like the Daihatsu front end more to be honest

image.png.b4f505e0ebb88047e80205ec73c64fcd.pngimage.thumb.png.70b0942104b98fbd6dc6de57a416c85c.pngimage.png.dce3d1583f316dc1052137b8985ef751.pngimage.png.600e1bc79ab37b87c0edf5b467a489e6.png

Isn’t it supposed to be tiny, a new incarnate of the old rocky? 
it’s the Vitz crowd that’s all worked up about it 

the car sale mafia will create a false market, lure fellas in, 

pretty soon there will be threads like fuel economy, parts, models, 

Edited by tiv

Just now, tiv said:

Isn’t it supposed to be tiny, a new incarnate of the old rocky? 
it’s the Vitz crowd that’s all worked up about it 

Well the old Rocky was larger than this....The Rocky and Blizzard were pretty much larger than the Cami/Rush and Terios but smaller than the 70 series LCs...but yes the Rocky/Blizzard were subsequently replaced by the Terios/Cami/Rush name badges.

THe Daihatsu name for the model is not released yet but the rumor is that it will bring back the Rocky name.

To be honest...I think the new Yaris will be better than this....the Yaris feels a lot more refined and also lot more sleeker than this. So unless you need the larger ground clearance...go for the Yaris.

What most people do not know yet is this is a car developed by Daihatsu and is based on the DNGA platform which is derived from the TNGA platform (in this case its probably similar to the TNGA-B platform).

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Here are some of my pics from the Tokyo Motor Show 2019

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Mspu5XunABBsK8F8

02.png

I'm asking this since you saw the car in person 

Was it really smaller than the below rocky ?

images.jpeg.31cb92a1fae8751d735021178020df89.jpeg

14 minutes ago, tiv said:

I'm asking this since you saw the car in person 

Was it really smaller than the below rocky ?

images.jpeg.31cb92a1fae8751d735021178020df89.jpeg

I dunno....to be honest it probably does look like the same size....back in the 80s the Blizzard was pretty much the same size as a LC 70 series 2 door...bit a little bit narrower and shorter in length. You really cannot compare old car sizes with new car sizes...new Kei cars are as large or larger than my Corolla wagon. The Raize was pretty much the same size as the Vitz...perhaps a few cm longer....definitely a lot shorter than the CHR.

1 hour ago, CNX said:

150mm longer than the previous generation Rocky in the picture

again....in that case it is as long as a 80s 2 door Land Cruiser isn't it ? You really can't compare vehicles between different time periods.  :D (the 2 door 40 series is 3930 and the troop carrier 4395 whilst the Raize is 3995 :D and the Corolla sport is 4370) 

Is it 55mm longer than the Vitz or the new Yaris ?

Edited by iRage