• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

The world finally got to see the actual Lexus LM (following Lexus' naming convention LM should be Luxury MPV) at the Shanghai Motorshow yesterday. 

Is the Lexus LM minivan really needed when the Alphard/Vellfire are already pretty luxurious ?
I suppose its more about wanting to sell the Alphard/Vellfire globally...it does seem to have some extra luxo finishings though...

No photo description available.Image may contain: carNo photo description available.No photo description available.Image may contain: people sittingImage may contain: people sittingImage may contain: people sitting

China is probably leading the world in EV adoption and the major cities does seem to have infrastructure and services to support it (last year Nissan was testing and launching out a battery swap service for its EV cars...when your battery runs low...drive up to a battery station and swap your batteries with charged ones and drive off...apparently some Chinese manufacturers were already doing it before Nissan, so Nissan redesigned its battery compartment for the Chinese EVs...)

At the Shanghai Motorshow TOyota unveiled an EV CHR and Honda unveiled the X-NV (based on the Vezel)..again..so far...China only models...

Image may contain: carImage may contain: carHonda X-NV Concept

The all new Nissan Sylphy (wide body Sunny)....it is gorgeous !

So far the only engine announced is a HR16DE engine mated to a funky CVT...I am sure there are additional power trains that will be offered.

The dash looks very Toyota-ish though...

Image may contain: carImage may contain: carImage may contain: carImage may contain: carNo photo description available. 

Nissan Versa (Latio/Tiida/Narrow body Sunny)

Half a world away Nissan unveiled the new Nissan Versa in the US....and that too is pretty cute. Nice to see Nissan's sedan in the small sedan segment actually looking nice...lets be honest the current Tiida/Sunny sedan looks like a wizard.

The US Nissan demonstrates the new Vasa compact sedan.  Standard equipment equipped with many advanced technologies while introductory sedan20190417-20105115-carview-001-1-view.jpgç±³æ¥ç£ãã³ã³ãã¯ãã»ãã³ã®æ°åã´ã¡ã¼ãµãæ«é²ãå¥éã»ãã³ãªãããæ°å¤ãã®åé²æè¡ãæ¨æºè£åç±³æ¥ç£ãã³ã³ãã¯ãã»ãã³ã®æ°åã´ã¡ã¼ãµãæ«é²ãå¥éã»ãã³ãªãããæ°å¤ãã®åé²æè¡ãæ¨æºè£åç±³æ¥ç£ãã³ã³ãã¯ãã»ãã³ã®æ°åã´ã¡ã¼ãµãæ«é²ãå¥éã»ãã³ãªãããæ°å¤ãã®åé²æè¡ãæ¨æºè£åç±³æ¥ç£ãã³ã³ãã¯ãã»ãã³ã®æ°åã´ã¡ã¼ãµãæ«é²ãå¥éã»ãã³ãªãããæ°å¤ãã®åé²æè¡ãæ¨æºè£å

The Fairlady is 50 years old :)

Nissan has launched a limited commemorative model....

The most obvious distinction is the 240Z BRE color scheme (which one the SCCA in the 70s). It can also be had in grey with a similar color layout

17151044240_6d37_o.jpg17151044888_aa16_o.jpg17151044873_07a1_o.jpg17151044851_1b47_o.jpg17151045452_6cac_o.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iRage said:

The all new Nissan Sylphy (wide body Sunny)....it is gorgeous !

So far the only engine announced is a HR16DE engine mated to a funky CVT...I am sure there are additional power trains that will be offered.

The dash looks very Toyota-ish though...

Image may contain: carImage may contain: carImage may contain: carImage may contain: carNo photo description available. 

The dash is more Mercedes-Benz in terms of the air vents etc.

Toyota brings 51 years of history and heritage to a close as it releases the Mark X Final Edition as a farewell tribute to the Marx/X-chassis.

The Mark X family is Toyota's 4th longest running name plate right now (currently tied with the Corona which also ran for 51 years), and pretty soon it will just be the Land Cruiser, Crown and Corolla name plates left from the original 5.

Sad to see Toyota's last affordable FR sedan taking a bow....

<yeah true the Crown and Lexus IS, both of which shared a lot of drive and power train components with, are there; but those are 40,000USD++ cars whilst the Mark X was between 25,000-35000.  >

The Final Edition is based on the 250 range which was the most popular range of the Mark X and the updates seem to be mostly modest and visual only. So the Mark X GRMN ver.2 was the last sporty version (although what had th emost amount of power was the SuperCharged M+ variant. The GRMN felt more sportier because it was heavily tuned in the suspension and body rigidity department and the gearbox and ECU tuned to be more at your face (which also came with a 6 M/T); whilst the M+ had less aggressive tuning in the suspension but just had the standard 350 series engine mated to a super charger 

https://toyota.jp/markx/cp/history/?padid=ag341_from_markx_top_rec_cp2

01.jpg02.jpgexterior_car_4.jpgexterior_car_1.jpg

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

Perhaps the most hard-hitting farewell (especially in SL) would be the Mitsubishi Pajero. Yes..a Final Edition is released in Japan as Mitsubishi announced that it will stop sales of the Pajero in japan by August this year and will stop developing the nameplate further. For now production for the global market will continue, however if they are not certain about developing the model any more..there really is not much hope is there ? 

https://gazoo.com/news/r321721.html

RES_321721_1_1.jpg

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, iRage said:

Toyota brings 51 years of history and heritage to a close as it releases the Mark X Final Edition as a farewell tribute to the Marx/X-chassis.

The Mark X family is Toyota's 4th longest running name plate right now (currently tied with the Corona which also ran for 51 years), and pretty soon it will just be the Land Cruiser, Crown and Corolla name plates left from the original 5.

Sad to see Toyota's last affordable FR sedan taking a bow....

<yeah true the Crown and Lexus IS, both of which shared a lot of drive and power train components with, are there; but those are 40,000USD++ cars whilst the Mark X was between 25,000-35000.  >

The Final Edition is based on the 250 range which was the most popular range of the Mark X and the updates seem to be mostly modest and visual only. So the Mark X GRMN ver.2 was the last sporty version (although what had th emost amount of power was the SuperCharged M+ variant. The GRMN felt more sportier because it was heavily tuned in the suspension and body rigidity department and the gearbox and ECU tuned to be more at your face (which also came with a 6 M/T); whilst the M+ had less aggressive tuning in the suspension but just had the standard 350 series engine mated to a super charger 

https://toyota.jp/markx/cp/history/?padid=ag341_from_markx_top_rec_cp2

01.jpg02.jpgexterior_car_4.jpgexterior_car_1.jpg

Sad to see the end of the mark x. I guess this was always on the cards with volumes for this car on a downward spiral since each new generation.

I owned a 2005 GRX 120 250G S package and it remains the best car I have ever owned. You don't see too many on SL roads now(wonder where all of them went?) but in S package trim it still looks neat and hasn't aged with its simple classic RWD design with a long bonnet. Definitely looks better than the GRX 130 which resembles the Camry way too closely for my liking. 

I saw plenty of cars in Singapore but lot of them are riced up. Heard they have a big active membership there and in Malaysia. 

18 hours ago, RWD said:

Sad to see the end of the mark x. I guess this was always on the cards with volumes for this car on a downward spiral since each new generation.

I owned a 2005 GRX 120 250G S package and it remains the best car I have ever owned. You don't see too many on SL roads now(wonder where all of them went?) but in S package trim it still looks neat and hasn't aged with its simple classic RWD design with a long bonnet. Definitely looks better than the GRX 130 which resembles the Camry way too closely for my liking. 

I saw plenty of cars in Singapore but lot of them are riced up. Heard they have a big active membership there and in Malaysia. 

I had a 2007 silver 250G F package with a basic TRD body kit...yes..loved the thing....sold it last year because no one was using it and house did not have enough parking space. Heard a few months later that the car was taken to a maka-baas who messed up the engine.

Well....No...it was not "long-time-coming". More or less likeToyota was long-time taking it there and then saying öops..look what happened !!???". The 130 series in my view is a complete con. It carries the same GR series engines and gearboxes from the 120 series...thus the GRX130 in fact is currently running on 15 year old tech with nothing but a new body stuck to it. Why is it on 15 year old tech..well Toyota's lack of interest ? The Mark X shared the drive and power trains with the Crown and Lexus IS. The Crown and the Lexus both got updated engines including a Hybrid variant a long time ago whilst the Mark X which underwent a model change the same time was still stuck with the old 2GR and 4GR engines and old suspension and gearbox. Toyota could have easily adopted  these to the  new Mark X but they didn't. So it is no surprise that with the Camry going Hybrid people slowly switched to that instead of the Mark X and those who had a little bit more money went for the Crown and Lexus. In fact until the Camry Hybrid was launched the Mark X was one of Toyota's best selling sedans and you could see it all over the place (just like you can see Allions and Premios all over Sri Lanka).

3 hours ago, iRage said:

I had a 2007 silver 250G F package with a basic TRD body kit...yes..loved the thing....sold it last year because no one was using it and house did not have enough parking space. Heard a few months later that the car was taken to a maka-baas who messed up the engine.

Well....No...it was not "long-time-coming". More or less likeToyota was long-time taking it there and then saying öops..look what happened !!???". The 130 series in my view is a complete con. It carries the same GR series engines and gearboxes from the 120 series...thus the GRX130 in fact is currently running on 15 year old tech with nothing but a new body stuck to it. Why is it on 15 year old tech..well Toyota's lack of interest ? The Mark X shared the drive and power trains with the Crown and Lexus IS. The Crown and the Lexus both got updated engines including a Hybrid variant a long time ago whilst the Mark X which underwent a model change the same time was still stuck with the old 2GR and 4GR engines and old suspension and gearbox. Toyota could have easily adopted  these to the  new Mark X but they didn't. So it is no surprise that with the Camry going Hybrid people slowly switched to that instead of the Mark X and those who had a little bit more money went for the Crown and Lexus. In fact until the Camry Hybrid was launched the Mark X was one of Toyota's best selling sedans and you could see it all over the place (just like you can see Allions and Premios all over Sri Lanka).

Well to be fair the 4GR V6 and that aisin (of my memory serves me right) gearbox was way ahead of its time for a Japanese car launched in 2005. The S package even came with electric dampers and some specs came with auto park. So it was a very sophisticated proposition at the time considering  that it wasnt really a part of its luxo barge lineup. Agreed it now looks dated with all the Dct gearboxes and the small capacity turbos,  hybrids and electrics but you are right - I was waiting to see if they would drop in the same engine that was used in the IS200T in the newer Mark X's. That may have given it a fresh lease of life. Can't beat the responsiveness of that V6 though! What a motor. 

• 4 weeks later...

Toyota re-introduces the Granvia, which would be based on the 300 series Hiace but with coil spring all round. It will be offered with a diesel engine, most likely the 1GD. As for options it would electric seats, captain seats, power doors and Toyota Safety Sense kit.

Like the 300 series Hiace, Toyota hasnt mentioned anything about selling it in Japan. For the time being it's confirmed for Australia, where it will replace the Tarago

toyota-granvia-49089.jpg?width=640

toyota-granvia-49091.jpg?height=427&width=640&aspect=fitWithin

toyota-granvia-49092.jpg?height=427&width=640&aspect=fitWithin

Toyota Granvia

Edited by Magnum

10 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Toyota re-introduces the Granvia, which would be based on the 300 series Hiace but with coil spring all round. It will be offered with a diesel engine, most likely the 1GD. As for options it would electric seats, captain seats, power doors and Toyota Safety Sense kit.

Like the 300 series Hiace, Toyota hasnt mentioned anything about selling it in Japan. For the time being it's confirmed for Australia, where it will replace the Tarago

toyota-granvia-49089.jpg?width=640

Because of the Vellfire/Alphard it is believed that the higher spec versions of this will not be for sale in Japan, and that the base commuter variant might be offered as a replacement for the 200 series wide commuter vans (mini buses) which are commonly used by hotels and kindergartens....

3 hours ago, iRage said:

Because of the Vellfire/Alphard it is believed that the higher spec versions of this will not be for sale in Japan, and that the base commuter variant might be offered as a replacement for the 200 series wide commuter vans (mini buses) which are commonly used by hotels and kindergartens....

Also if i'm not wrong the old Granvia wasnt a success in Japan. I wish they bring back the Super Custom

19 hours ago, Magnum said:

Also if i'm not wrong the old Granvia wasnt a success in Japan. I wish they bring back the Super Custom

No it wasn't....

Well..the Super Custom is not needed in Japan because that spawned off to vehicles like the Vellfire/Alphard.

• 3 weeks later...

Part of DNGA...Daihatsu released the world's first multi-spark kei engine. It will start getting rolled out with the new Tanto which was just revealed. The output of the engine is obviously within the regulatory requirements for a kei car, however Daihatsu swears that fuel efficiency has been greatly increased and harmful emissions have been greatly reduced... 

The world's first multi-sparking (multi spark), new design except for bolts and screws DNAH new technology from Daihatsu KF new engineTest the new Tanto of the first Daihatsu DNGA.  Good impression on new concept CVT and lightweight body

Toyota and Subaru join forces to develop an EV carplatform

Toyota is to bring in their EV knowhow and Subaru their AWD know how...which is ironic because Toyota has totally failed to gain any traction in developing a pure EV vehicle in house and pretty much have been getting their Chinese counterparts to do it for them...

Joint development of Toyota and Subaru, EV dedicated platform and SUV model EV

On 6/8/2019 at 1:04 PM, iRage said:

The new Honda N Box.....

Seems to come pretty well equipped although the NBox  looks like a variant of the Wagon R.

20190607-20105265-carview-000-1-view.jpg20190607-20105265-carview-001-1-view.jpg20190607-20105265-carview-002-1-view.jpg20190607-20105265-carview-003-1-view.jpg

Isnt this more of a face lift?

I like JF1 in G SS Two Tone spec

Photo of HONDA N-BOX CUSTOM 2TONE COLOR STYLE G SS PACKAGE / used HONDA

Photo of HONDA N-BOX CUSTOM 2TONE COLOR STYLE G SS PACKAGE / used HONDA

1 hour ago, Magnum said:

Isnt this more of a face lift?

So far the press release says NEXT N-Box...so the presumption is that it is the next generation....on the other hand with most of these kei cars..the next generation is mostly just  outward refresh because the platform (engine and even the frame) remains the same for ever and ever. For example the Suzuki kei engines have been around for ages with nothing but new improvements over the ages and generations of models...

• 3 weeks later...

Images of the latest prototype of the Honda-e.

Supposed to put out nearly 140hp with a whole bunch of torque. Since it is rear wheel drives with the motor in the back, the car is supposed to have an insane turning radius because the wheels have a crazy turn-in. So could this be a proper EV for drifting ?

RES_324032_1_2.jpgRES_324032_1_3.jpgRES_324032_1_6.jpgRES_324032_1_10.jpg

• Like 2