• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

Honda debuts special edition for Vezel Hybrid

1.jpg

Based on the Hybrid X featuring the Honda Sensing driving assistance technology, this special edition model comes with loads of amenities including LED fog lights, 17-inch alloy wheels (sport type), roof rails, exclusive side sills with platinum chrome metallic trimming and a trunk board.

In addition to its existing White Orchid Pearl and Crystal Black Pearl, this special edition also offers three new exterior colors: exclusive Premium Yellow Pearl II, Rouge Amethyst Metallic and Midnight Blue Beam

Suzuki Adds Hybrid Models to Swift Family

These new grades of the Swift come with K12C Dual Jet Engines (1.2 liter) with running motors (known as MGU) that allow for electricity to be generated coupled alongside the highly conductive auto gear shift (AGS) system, making for a unique parallel hybrid system on a lightweight car, one corner of the market that Suzuki already excels in. By providing the MGU with power stored from driving in the 100V lithium ion battery, the motor is thereby assisted, even allowing for the car to run completely without the engine in EV mode while idling or travelling under 60km per hour.

The driving mode, which can be altered with just one switch, allows for two settings: the brisk pace of Standard Mode, and Eco Mode which helps to improve the frequency at which the car runs as an EV.

1 hour ago, Magnum said:

Suzuki Adds Hybrid Models to Swift Family

These new grades of the Swift come with K12C Dual Jet Engines (1.2 liter) with running motors (known as MGU) that allow for electricity to be generated coupled alongside the highly conductive auto gear shift (AGS) system, making for a unique parallel hybrid system on a lightweight car, one corner of the market that Suzuki already excels in. By providing the MGU with power stored from driving in the 100V lithium ion battery, the motor is thereby assisted, even allowing for the car to run completely without the engine in EV mode while idling or travelling under 60km per hour.

The driving mode, which can be altered with just one switch, allows for two settings: the brisk pace of Standard Mode, and Eco Mode which helps to improve the frequency at which the car runs as an EV.

Eitherway..the old one was a lot more fun. Test drove the 1.2L Hybrid and the 1.0L Turbo. Was rather dissapointed.

8 hours ago, iRage said:

Eitherway..the old one was a lot more fun. Test drove the 1.2L Hybrid and the 1.0L Turbo. Was rather dissapointed.

Probably this variant of Swift is tuned for fuel economy eh?

The previous generation was known as a fun to drive hatch

6 hours ago, Magnum said:

Probably this variant of Swift is tuned for fuel economy eh?

The previous generation was known as a fun to drive hatch

Yes...but the 1.2L Hybrid was a lot more funner than the 1.0L Turbo. The Hybrid felt a lot more peppier especially with the motor kicking in. The Turbo variant felt hazy...there is supposed to be a 1.4L Turbo coming out as well. Maybe that will be a bit more fun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The face-lifted Prado goes on sale in Japan today...personally I like this one's looks more than the previous one's...apart from the looks Toyota has introduced a few more colors to the range, made Safety Sence P standard on all models. For the first time the Prado comes with a Torsen LSD for the rear (as opposed to the electronically locking diff..which still can be chosen for the highest grade). In the old models the rear used to be open or plain old fashioned LSDs whilst the center were Torsen LSDs.

トヨタ ランドクルーザープラドトヨタ ランドクルーザープラド

The Hilux goes for sale in Japan after a 13 yr break from today on wards. The base grade X starts at 3.2 mil yen and the highest grade Z starts at 3.7 mil yen. The truck is offered only in these two grades, in 4WD  with the turbo charged diesel engine and in double cab form. The JDM Hilux is also manufactured in Thailand and seems to be much better equipped than the variants we get. All JDM grades get 7 air bags, ABS, etc...as standard. The top of the range Z gets collision avoidance systems as well.

Toyota new type Hilux

Edited by iRage

2 hours ago, iRage said:

The face-lifted Prado goes on sale in Japan today...personally I like this one's looks more than the previous one's...apart from the looks Toyota has introduced a few more colors to the range, made Safety Sence P standard on all models. For the first time the Prado comes with a Torsen LSD for the rear (as opposed to the electronically locking diff..which still can be chosen for the highest grade). In the old models the rear used to be open or plain old fashioned LSDs whilst the center were Torsen LSDs.

トヨタ ランドクルーザープラドトヨタ ランドクルーザープラド

Hope the next year is a complete model change. This year has been full of Facelifts!

5 hours ago, zeem35 said:

Hope the next year is a complete model change. This year has been full of Facelifts!

Well...Toyota is changing all their models to the TNGA framework. Since this requires complet redesign of all the models it does seem to take time. The Land Cruiser 200 is going to be replaced by a new model LC 300 in 2018. So I suppose the Prado will soon follow that ? (or be around the same time). I beleive a new Corolla is also supposed to come out in 2018.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Rohnd said:

Probably New Mazda 3 for 2018/19 leaked through a Belgian site before the Tokyo Motor show . The very first car to be incorporated  Mazda's  Homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) SkyActiv-X engine.

59efe47412a96_NextMazda3for2018.jpg.0e98c34fd49d217cdf5052d5e7a9bfbc.jpg

This is part of a few concepts for Mazda's next design stage (called vision or something) which is the evolution of its "Soul" design concept/ideology which is the basis for the current line up of Mazda cars. This particular one is called the Mazda Kai concept for hatchbacks which will be the design basis for the Axels sport and Demio.

Plus there is another one called Vision Coupe' which will be the design blueprint for the sedans.

So no...this isn't the new Axela....this is just a design concept. But based on how Mazda has been in the past, the next generation of cars will have very strong resemblences to the concept models.

Also, I don't think these are leaked images, there were a few pictures of the concepts floating around for a few weeks now which I believe was from Mazda. 

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

Okay..so I posted this on FB yesterday because I was feeling quite sad and sentimental that no one is actually catching up on this and covering it 1f641.png:( 

Toyota started selling its new “Japan Taxi” yesterday. Thus, as of yesterday; sales of the trusty Toyota Comfort/Crown Comfort was stopped. (big deal right ? new cars come to market everyday…bare with me for a while..and pardon the soppy whining)

The Comfort which went in to sale in 1995 has become an iconic symbol of Japan. If you go to any corner of Japan, day or night, you are guaranteed to find a Crown Comfort. In fact gives a sense of security because you know you simply cannot get lost as long as there is one around. You know that all you have to do is pop-in, show an address and it will take you to your destination or the nearest place that you can seek for help at (well…you would be popping in to a taxi or a driver training car and scare the pants off of some poor learner driver). So, it’s a bit sad to see this icon get slowly phased out after 22 years of service. Apparently the average life span of a Japanese taxi is 5 years and does an average run of about 100,000km per year (after 9 years I still haven't figured out how taxi drivers in Japan keep their taxis spotlessly clean). 

Considering the model's service history, its no wonder why the Crown Comfort has been getting quite a few internal awards within Toyota. 

But here is the second (perhaps the true) stab in the heart….the Crown Comfort; although it has "Crown" in its name, has little to do with the Crown underneath! It was actually based on the X80 platform from the Mark II/Chaser/Cresta! Since that first came out in 1988 (with some minor changes in 1991ish), we are looking at the retirement of a car design that is 29 years old (actually…the actual chassis was carried over from the X70 series Mark II which means the chassis itself has been around for about 33 years)!

Related imageImage result for Toyota Japan Taxi

• Like 4

5 hours ago, iRage said:

Okay..so I posted this on FB yesterday because I was feeling quite sad and sentimental that no one is actually catching up on this and covering it 1f641.png:( 

Toyota started selling its new “Japan Taxi” yesterday. Thus, as of yesterday; sales of the trusty Toyota Comfort/Crown Comfort was stopped. (big deal right ? new cars come to market everyday…bare with me for a while..and pardon the soppy whining)

The Comfort which went in to sale in 1995 has become an iconic symbol of Japan. If you go to any corner of Japan, day or night, you are guaranteed to find a Crown Comfort. In fact gives a sense of security because you know you simply cannot get lost as long as there is one around. You know that all you have to do is pop-in, show an address and it will take you to your destination or the nearest place that you can seek for help at (well…you would be popping in to a taxi or a driver training car and scare the pants off of some poor learner driver). So, it’s a bit sad to see this icon get slowly phased out after 22 years of service. Apparently the average life span of a Japanese taxi is 5 years and does an average run of about 100,000km per year (after 9 years I still haven't figured out how taxi drivers in Japan keep their taxis spotlessly clean). 

Considering the model's service history, its no wonder why the Crown Comfort has been getting quite a few internal awards within Toyota. 

But here is the second (perhaps the true) stab in the heart….the Crown Comfort; although it has "Crown" in its name, has little to do with the Crown underneath! It was actually based on the X80 platform from the Mark II/Chaser/Cresta! Since that first came out in 1988 (with some minor changes in 1991ish), we are looking at the retirement of a car design that is 29 years old (actually…the actual chassis was carried over from the X70 series Mark II which means the chassis itself has been around for about 33 years)!

Related imageImage result for Toyota Japan Taxi

Toyota Comfort is the major icon at Hong Kong Taxi services as well. Hope this change will affect there too.

One year old post.  

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2038545/hk300000-hybrid-taxi-hit-hong-kong-market-next-year-toyota

Honda StepWGN Hybrid

honda_stepwgn_spada_hybrid_3.jpeg

The Honda StepWGN has been refreshed for the Japanese market, with the Waku Waku Gate-equipped MPV receiving a range of updates to its styling as well as list of technologies.

Starting with the latter, the StepWGN in Spada guise is now available with the Honda Sport Hybrid Intelligent Multi Mode Drive (i-MMD) hybrid powertrain. The system consists of a 2.0 litre Atkinson cycle DOHC i-VTEC petrol engine, i-MMD electric motor, e-CVT and a lithium-ion battery.

The internal combustion engine is rated at 145 PS and 175 Nm, whereas the electric motor serves up 184 PS and 315 Nm. Drivers will have access to several drive modes, including an electric-only option, and Honda claims a fuel economy of just 25 km per litre (JC08 mode).

The Spada Hybrid variants also get a special tuning for the suspension, and in its highest trim level (G EX Honda Sensing), performance dampers are fitted to balance occupant comfort and high-speed driving stability.

the Honda Sensing suite also makes its way into the StepWGN, which includes a range of driver assistance and safety systems. There are eight basic functions within the Sensing suite, and all of them are standard across the range.

hybrid variants get a Low-Speed Follow (LSF) function to enhance the ACC, which has a range of operation starting from 0 km/h. The system is said to reduce the burden on the driver when driving on congested highways.

As for the styling changes, the StepWGN Spada receives new LED headlights, a three-tier front grille, a sharper front bumper, reshaped lower grille and a tweaked tailgate spoiler for improved aerodynamics. The MPV can also be had with Modulo bits, should customers want a to spruce things up a bit.

Prices for the 2018 Honda StepWGN start at 2,455,920 yen for the base, front-wheel drive B Honda Sensing variant while the range-topping Modulo X Honda Sensing goes for 3,665,000 yen 

Honda StepWGN updated in Japan – Sport Hybrid i-MMD variants introduced, Sensing comes standard Image #718137

Honda StepWGN updated in Japan – Sport Hybrid i-MMD variants introduced, Sensing comes standard Image #718138

Edited by Magnum

• 2 weeks later...

Not long after Mitsubishi announced axing of the Lancer Evolution, rival Subaru has ended the STi. Two great legends - one absolutely memorable era. 

http://performancedrive.com.au/2018-subaru-wrx-sti-final-edition-says-goodbye-era-0123/

Edit: Apparently this only affects the the UK market. Done due to the emission regulations. 

Had a heart attack for a moment there. Phew! 

Edited by Davy

1 hour ago, Davy said:

Not long after Mitsubishi announced axing of the Lancer Evolution, rival Subaru has ended the STi. Two great legends - one absolutely memorable era. 

http://performancedrive.com.au/2018-subaru-wrx-sti-final-edition-says-goodbye-era-0123/

They are stopping it only in the UK

• 4 weeks later...