• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

Seriously, what's with Toyota and its unhealthy obsession with drum breaks?

I had the same doubt after I saw small cars have four discs brakes where as my 2 tonne Hiace has drums on back. Did some research and found out the following:

• Most of the brake force goes to the front wheels so its not that necessary to have discs at the rear as well

• Brake pads wear out more often than brake shoes

• Drum brakes work better with hand brake because discs swells up during heavy braking so if you park your vehicle right away after you do some heavy braking, the discs are swelled up and letter on when the discs cool down, become thinner again the brakes would become loose. Less force on the handbrake adds more pressure to the gearbox when stopped making the gearbox do most of the work of holding the vehicle still

• They have less drag when not using the brakes hence less friction which will give you better fuel economy and maybe better performance maybe

• Drum brakes don't warp/go out of shape when the vehicle is loaded with heavy weight which is why trucks and buses always use drums

• Drum brakes are completely fine until they become hot, since its only used at the back the chance for it to become hot is less

• I'm not sure how true this is but I have heard drum brakes dont get wet as much as discs, maybe because they are covered by the drum, but once they do get their stopping power reduces

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 1

No what I meant was that, rear drums is "seen" as a inferior option to all four disks, especially in passenger cars despite there being some advantages over disks. While its hard to find euros with rear drums nowadays, you will still see the new 2014 Axio hybrid with rear drums! And even in the soft-SUV category, the Toyota Fortuner stands out like a sore thumb with its rear drums! For vans, lorries its a different story.

No what I meant was that, rear drums is "seen" as a inferior option to all four disks, especially in passenger cars despite there being some advantages over disks. While its hard to find euros with rear drums nowadays, you will still see the new 2014 Axio hybrid with rear drums! And even in the soft-SUV category, the Toyota Fortuner stands out like a sore thumb with its rear drums! For vans, lorries its a different story.

The way I see it depends on the application, to be honest I dont see anything wrong with the Fortuner having drums at the back as you wont be throwing it around a track where you will be doing some heavy braking so the way I see it would be better to have a better hand brake system, less maintenance and better fuel economy. I have read around 80% of brake force goes to the front so you wouldnt really notice it until you do some heavy braking

Most people wouldnt notice whether it has drums or discs probably the owners wouldn't know either lol

The reasons why hybrids have drums at the back is due to the reason I have mentioned earlier about the drag caused by disc brakes

Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) which has brought a series of improvements compared to the outgoing model.

For example, the chassis is now 60% more rigid while the lower center of gravity has boosted the car's comfort and stability, also helped by the lower placement of the powertrain. Speaking of which, Toyota doesn't say a lot about the hardware of their new Prius but they do promise a 10% fuel economy improvement and an increase in thermal efficiency to more than 40%. Some of the hybrid bits and pieces now come in a more compact size and there's a newly developed nickel-metal hydride hybrid battery smaller than before, but more durable and with an increased charging performance.

The all-new Prius is actually 60 mm longer, 15 mm wider and 20 mm lower than the previous model and this increase in size translates into a more spacious cabin for the passengers as well as more trunk space. It should also feel more connected to the road as a result of the new front suspension and rear double wishbone suspension while on the safety side there are tons of systems like lane departure alert, pre-collision system, dynamic radar cruise control, automatic high beam and the Europe-exclusive road sign assist.

The exterior will be available with a choice of seven colors, including this new Hypersonic Red while the interior has the familiar center-mounted dash along with glossy white plastics, generously-sized display for the infotainment system and a new three-spoke steering wheel. The shape of the air vents has been changed and we also notice a tiny gear lever.

Toyota says the overhauled Prius will go on sale towards the end of the year and initially it will be launched at home in Japan.

Pictures

6881064041979670862.jpg

665487087799454709.jpg

858450513660111852.jpg

The interior looks very futuristic

173818197705255339.jpg

Looks like now theres no power mode button, instead we have to choose it through the drive mode button

68339730310887557.jpg

16733125231551653767.jpg

Looks like Toyota has gone into detail with this one

349631860443063229.jpg

9934914001893524856.jpg

Edited by Magnum

Urrrrrgh I think Ill barf, wtf are those white plastic bits?yuck,,, and the durability of them glossy plastics would be short, ull have to selotape ur finger to avoid scratching it.. ladies should sit in the back... Even the alto looks better I think(atleast its cheap)

Urrrrrgh I think Ill barf, wtf are those white plastic bits?yuck,,, and the durability of them glossy plastics would be short, ull have to selotape ur finger to avoid scratching it.. ladies should sit in the back... Even the alto looks better I think(atleast its cheap)

I heard its some crap inspired by some fine bone china thing. geek speak for good ol' porcelain i guess.

Luckily for buyers, the white bits are optional.

I heard its some crap inspired by some fine bone china thing. geek speak for good ol' porcelain i guess.

Luckily for buyers, the white bits are optional.

You can bet ur ass SL buyers would starve to get the white pieces saying its "market" with them