• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid unveiled

8664237491548602257.jpg

7832410561595315539.jpg

1696789250486733810.jpg

1014933102862571474.jpg

880141938950610792.jpg

Based on the facelifted 2016 RAV4, the crossover features a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, an eCVT transmission and an Electronic On-Demand All-Wheel-Drive System which has a rear electric motor that delivers instant torque to the rear wheels when additional traction is needed.

Toyota was coy on performance specifications but confirmed the model will have "more horsepower and better acceleration" than the standard RAV4.

I don't know if it just on me, at launch Toyota vehicles look ugly but later on they start looking fine :speechless-smiley-004:

Well..uh..no..it is just you.....I think after the launch and you start seeing the cars the initial shock and horror of it all kind of dies off a bit

More on Toyota Safety Sense C...

Apparently it is called Toyota Safety Sense and comes in two "levels" The base level is Toyota Safety Sense C which will come in Toyota's entry class vehicles including the Corolla Axio/Fielder. The second level called Safety Sense P will be introduced to all mid and higher level models starting from the Prius upwards.

Haven't figured out what P has but C comprises of what was posted in the Axio/Fielder update post above

Both the systems are detailed here. Apparently Lexus gets a more fancy version called Lexus Safety System +.

http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/4228443

Edited by B2Spirit

The Auris gets a facelift ! Apart from cosmetic differences and inclusion of the Safety Sense C package, the biggest twist seems to be the inclusion of a 1.2L Turbo charged version (blue car below...the orange one is a RS). The Turbo version pushes about 117HP (about 30HP lower than the 1.8 variants and about 10HP more than the 1.5 variants) and about 185N.m of torque (the most torque from all the variants). Interestingly the Auris Hybrid variant still is not available for the Japanese market.

carlineup_auris_grade_grade1_01_pc.pngcarlineup_auris_grade_grade2_01_pc.png

The Auris gets a facelift ! Apart from cosmetic differences and inclusion of the Safety Sense C package, the biggest twist seems to be the inclusion of a 1.2L Turbo charged version (blue car below...the orange one is a RS). The Turbo version pushes about 117HP (about 30HP lower than the 1.8 variants and about 10HP more than the 1.5 variants) and about 185N.m of torque (the most torque from all the variants). Interestingly the Auris Hybrid variant still is not available for the Japanese market.

Maybe thats because it might compete with their own Axio hybrid, the Auris has a similar set up to the Axio right?

Nissan is betting heavily on the new Maxima for the US market. I like the contours of the car - will we get some of the styling/platform on the Teana on the local market?

2016_nissan_maxima_12.jpg

Maybe thats because it might compete with their own Axio hybrid, the Auris has a similar set up to the Axio right?

Good point. They do sell the Auris as a Corolla in some markets.I don't think the Auris has done that well in the Japanese market since the RUNX days. If they do a Hybrid overin Japan I guess it could affect the Axio butmost likely the Prius as they are roughly in the same price braket/segment. Kind of like the lack of a Vitz Hybrid in Japan because of the Aqua.

Nissan X-Trail Hybrid Finally launched.

http://paultan.org/2015/04/07/nissan-x-trail-hybrid-japan/

Yes ! More Vezel killers ! Unfortunately not the same price bracket so might not be a complete wipe out of Vezels. Has the clean diesel been cut out of the JDM market ? Nissan, for quite sometime have been saying the previous version of the CD variant would be on sale for now because of development of the Hybrid model (which could have been code for "we are not working on a diesel for the latest model in Japan because of the Hybrid"

Nissan is betting heavily on the new Maxima for the US market. I like the contours of the car - will we get some of the styling/platform on the Teana on the local market?

They even brought back the 4DSC tag. Hopefully, who knows....the Teana has resembled more of the Altima in the recent past than the Maxima though hasn't it ?

i saw a prefacelift auris today. a 2014 one. god it looks more hedious upclose

Good point. They do sell the Auris as a Corolla in some markets.I don't think the Auris has done that well in the Japanese market since the RUNX days. If they do a Hybrid overin Japan I guess it could affect the Axio butmost likely the Prius as they are roughly in the same price braket/segment. Kind of like the lack of a Vitz Hybrid in Japan because of the Aqua.

Yes ! More Vezel killers ! Unfortunately not the same price bracket so might not be a complete wipe out of Vezels. Has the clean diesel been cut out of the JDM market ? Nissan, for quite sometime have been saying the previous version of the CD variant would be on sale for now because of development of the Hybrid model (which could have been code for "we are not working on a diesel for the latest model in Japan because of the Hybrid"

They even brought back the 4DSC tag. Hopefully, who knows....the Teana has resembled more of the Altima in the recent past than the Maxima though hasn't it ?

The Auris replaced the Corolla in European markets. We actually don't get the Corolla at all anymore.

The Vitz hybrid is what Toyota went with in European markets again rather than introducing the Aqua or Prius C. Maybe they were banking on the popularity of the Vitz brand. Toyota doesn't really offer much variety when it comes to modesl in the UK. For non comercial vehicles, we get

1. The Prius

2. The Auris

3. The Yaris (technically the Vitz)

4. The Rav 4

5. The GT86

6. The Aygo (City car category)

7. The Avensis (medium sized sedan I guess)

8. The Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser Prado

9. The Verso a 7 seater based on the Corolla/Auris platform I think

10. The Hilux

11. The ProAce which looks like a passenger van of sorts, not very popular

I've not seen a passenger version of the Hiace, and they do import the Dyna truck as well in various specifications.

The Auris replaced the Corolla in European markets. We actually don't get the Corolla at all anymore.

The Vitz hybrid is what Toyota went with in European markets again rather than introducing the Aqua or Prius C. Maybe they were banking on the popularity of the Vitz brand. Toyota doesn't really offer much variety when it comes to modesl in the UK. For non comercial vehicles, we get

1. The Prius

2. The Auris

4. The Rav 4

5. The GT86

10. The Hilux

I've not seen a passenger version of the Hiace, and they do import the Dyna truck as well in various specifications.

I thought the Prado is sold as Land Cruiser there :speechless-smiley-019:

and i assume the Proace is the UK version of the Hiace

Edited by Magnum

1. The Prius

2. The Auris

4. The Rav 4

5. The GT86

10. The Hilux

So you get 11 models in the UK as opposed to the 11 compacts, 10 passenger/mini vans,13 sedans, 3 station wagons, 7 suvs and 1 sports coupe' in Japan :). And that is excluding the business car category which includes vehicles like the Lite/TownAce, DYNA, Coaster, etc...and some of the Daihatsu Kei cars Toyota rebadges.

The Verso which used to be either Corolla Verso or Avensis Verso (but I think like you said it later on became just the Verso or Yaris Verso in some markets) is badged as Corolla Spacio and Ipsum....

I thought the Prado is sold as Land Cruiser there :speechless-smiley-019:

and i assume the Proace is the UK version of the Hiace

Yes, from what I recall it goes as the Land Cruiser, and the full fat LC went as the Amazon.

Passenger vans have never been popular in the UK, perhaps as the term van is often associated with builders.... MPVs though, are extremely popular among families.

Yes, from what I recall it goes as the Land Cruiser, and the full fat LC went as the Amazon.

Passenger vans have never been popular in the UK, perhaps as the term van is often associated with builders.... MPVs though, are extremely popular among families.

Toyota did used to offer the Previa for this sector (I think sold as the Lucida in Japan), but now they only have the verso, which is a smaller vehicle.

The proace is a comercial van. I've not seen a UK version of the Hiace passenger van though a few JDM imports are around. The main issue is that the UK market does not fancy forward controls that much so even vans have a bit in the front where the engine is. This is for safety I recon.

The newest member of Honda Fit Family is on the way.

http://www.honda.co.jp/SHUTTLE/new/?from=topbanner

2aj731j.jpg

You mean the new model of the already existing Fit family member "Shuttle" :) Hmm..still looks disproportionate and off in the looks department.When the first model was released the thing sold like hotcakes for a while and then disappeared. You don't see much in SL as well do you ?

You mean the new model of the already existing Fit family member "Shuttle" :) Hmm..still looks disproportionate and off in the looks department.When the first model was released the thing sold like hotcakes for a while and then disappeared. You don't see much in SL as well do you ?

Yes. And surprise surprise. Now if u get in to either Fit, Shuttle, Vezel or Grace, u will be hard pressed to identify which vehicle u r in by looking at the dash.

They all looks the same :) Only the sheet metal is different i guess.

Yeah, I think the wagon tag is throwing our people off.

Looks like Japanese manufacturers are finally going down the same path the european manufacturers have been on for so long.

Similar looking front facias, interior layout etc.

Jury is out as to whether its a good or bad thing.

Edited by B2Spirit