• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

The new shape hatch has been on sale in Aus for a few months now. One variant even comes with paddle shift. Drove one and felt like it's the same old platform undernethe new clothing.

http://www.toyota.com.au/corolla/range?WT.ac=Toyota_ShowroomPage_Cars_Corolla_RangeandSpecs

Regarding the naming conventions,

Hyundai has "Accent" not "Ascent"

Nissan has "Altima" not "Ultima"

:D

and what has this got to do with my post?

Nothing to do with ur post. But identified from ur post.

Wanted to show that as all designed already implemented by other manufacturers, some said this Corolla look like this & that bla bla.

Same time due to lack of names, they have to name new models nearly the same as already named cars by other.....

All about lack of design to change one by other & lack of names for cars...

Although the newer one seems to be marginally better than the old one it is no where close to most of the euro hatches or the likes of those from Honda or Toyota's own from the past...sad...

All in all I can see what you are saying....seems like someone took the old bones and cut and shaved some parts off to try to turn it in to some euro hatch...

Very true... but let's face it - Toyota has been having a winning formula with Corolla for many decades now. They are selling shiploads of Corollas around the world every year so if it's not f#cked why try to fix or change it?

In general, the Corolla is designed and built to perform in acceptable levels in a number of envoronments, ranging from tightly packed cities to highways and inter-states to rural roads full of potholes. So as the Corolla's features or performance may not feel well refined or well suited to any particular terrain or locality, it ticks many boxes of the mass motoring public - thus sells well.

• Like 1

Nothing to do with ur post. But identified from ur post.

Wanted to show that as all designed already implemented by other manufacturers, some said this Corolla look like this & that bla bla.

Same time due to lack of names, they have to name new models nearly the same as already named cars by other.....

All about lack of design to change one by other & lack of names for cars...

ah, got it. I think it's to do with budget and cost cutting. They simply don't want to (or cannot) pay much to come up with new designs or even a little bit creative model names for that matter.

Very true... but let's face it - Toyota has been having a winning formula with Corolla for many decades now. They are selling shiploads of Corollas around the world every year so if it's not f#cked why try to fix or change it?

In general, the Corolla is designed and built to perform in acceptable levels in a number of envoronments, ranging from tightly packed cities to highways and inter-states to rural roads full of potholes. So as the Corolla's features or performance may not feel well refined or well suited to any particular terrain or locality, it ticks many boxes of the mass motoring public - thus sells well.

True...the Corolla fits in with the masses who just want a car to get them from A to Z within their own contexts and don't care about (or don't know) other elements...

In the past cars like the Corolla were cheap, reliable and also were platforms for "fun""motoring" vehicles where the manufacturers offered sporty/fun-to-drive versions as well...and these days, for the most part, that has just simply gone away.

I'm gonna post infos/news Japanese cars on this thread, you guys could contribute too

9292069142126029134.jpg

Suzuki plotting Nissan Juke rival and AWD

A new report indicates Suzuki is working on a competitor for the Nissan Juke due in 2015.

A Suzuki source has told Autocar the new model will be available in Europe and will be manufactured at the firm's plant in Hungary where they also make the new SX4 S-Cross. Suzuki doesn't consider the larger SX4 S-Cross as a direct replacement of the SX4 since apparently the new Juke-sized model will actually be the successor of the original SX4.

It will ride on a shortened variant of the S-Cross' platform and is set to receive a bolder design. Suzuki also plans to provide a great deal of customization options, while engines will probably be carried over from the S-Cross so expect 1.6-liter gasoline and diesels, along with manual/automatic and FWD/AWD options.

Interestingly, Suzuki is planning a four-wheel drive variant of the Swift later this year when the facelifted model comes out. There will be two versions of the revised Swift: standard and a rugged model with a full body kit. Swift Sport will remain the same in terms of internals but will be offered in a five-door version.

Autocar is also reporting Alto and Splash will be replaced next year by a new model which will offer the fuel economy of the smaller Alto but with the interior space provided by the Splash.

I'm gonna post infos/news Japanese cars on this thread, you guys could contribute too

9292069142126029134.jpg

Suzuki plotting Nissan Juke rival and AWD

A new report indicates Suzuki is working on a competitor for the Nissan Juke due in 2015.

A Suzuki source has told Autocar the new model will be available in Europe and will be manufactured at the firm's plant in Hungary where they also make the new SX4 S-Cross. Suzuki doesn't consider the larger SX4 S-Cross as a direct replacement of the SX4 since apparently the new Juke-sized model will actually be the successor of the original SX4.

It will ride on a shortened variant of the S-Cross' platform and is set to receive a bolder design. Suzuki also plans to provide a great deal of customization options, while engines will probably be carried over from the S-Cross so expect 1.6-liter gasoline and diesels, along with manual/automatic and FWD/AWD options.

Interestingly, Suzuki is planning a four-wheel drive variant of the Swift later this year when the facelifted model comes out. There will be two versions of the revised Swift: standard and a rugged model with a full body kit. Swift Sport will remain the same in terms of internals but will be offered in a five-door version.

Autocar is also reporting Alto and Splash will be replaced next year by a new model which will offer the fuel economy of the smaller Alto but with the interior space provided by the Splash.

If they use the knowledge they have of making those wonderful little machines they will do a much better job than Nissan. Remember the X90, their first attempt at doing something different but it failed. The current SX4 and the older Swift (HT51) model have or used to have a 4wd version available and they had a fair bit of ground clearance as well.

But from what they are saying here the new model will be bigger and they will be competing with the Qashqai and not the smaller Juke which is Micra sized afaik. Swift Sport is their best product at the moment with the pace, handling and price that others cant match upto. Its a shame Suzuki has pulled out of the US market when they had the Kizashi which could have competed well with the others in America.

isn't this similar to what cali is doin?

He only posts hybrid stuff -_-

If they use the knowledge they have of making those wonderful little machines they will do a much better job than Nissan. Remember the X90, their first attempt at doing something different but it failed. The current SX4 and the older Swift (HT51) model have or used to have a 4wd version available and they had a fair bit of ground clearance as well.

But from what they are saying here the new model will be bigger and they will be competing with the Qashqai and not the smaller Juke which is Micra sized afaik. Swift Sport is their best product at the moment with the pace, handling and price that others cant match upto. Its a shame Suzuki has pulled out of the US market when they had the Kizashi which could have competed well with the others in America.

Thats exactly what i was thinking too, Suzuki always beats its rivals when it comes small cars/vans, so here as well they would probably do a better a job than Nissan

Incoming Toyota chairman pushing for a Supra successor

1728566511886037537.jpg

Toyota's incoming chairman, Takeshi Uchiyamada, has revealed that he wants their jointly-developed sports car to be a mid-sized vehicle that is comparable to the Supra.

Speaking to a business lobbying group in Japan, Uchiyamada said the model should be a high-performance sports car so it doesn't overlap with the GT 86 because it would be "futile if we make something similar." However, Uchiyamada acknowledges "That's what I want but it's not me who makes the decision."

BMW and Toyota announced plans to co-develop a sports car back in January, but the companies haven't agreed on which type of model to build. Uchiyamada is leading the negotiations for Toyota, so he'll likely have some sway if BMW is willing to go along with what he is proposing.

• Like 2

isn't this similar to what cali is doin?

Cali tries to tell us that hybrids and electric cars are god's gift to mankind and everyone ought to drive those. He keeps pounding that to our heads, while not knowing the difference between hubcaps and alloys. So far, Magnum hasn't told us that Suzukis or Japanese cars are the best and everything else is crap... so Im pretty sure magnum won't end up being a cali :)

Suzuki is on death watch by auto industry analysts. The US pull out is to save money. They are alive only because they are so dominant in India. They desperately need to tie up with a larger manufacturer if they wish to survive. VW owns 20% in Suzuki but they have been at war with each other recently. That 20% stake is a stumbling block for another manufacturer to approach Suzuki. It's simply a matter of time before someone swallows them up. They have a very strong brand image in Asia so would make a perfect partner for a company that's weak in the region.

• Like 1

BMW and Toyota announced plans to co-develop a sports car back in January, but the companies haven't agreed on which type of model to build. Uchiyamada is leading the negotiations for Toyota, so he'll likely have some sway if BMW is willing to go along with what he is proposing.

Some news on that. Looks like there is some progress. http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2013/1305_bmw_toyota_sports_car_taking_shape/

• Like 1

Cali tries to tell us that hybrids and electric cars are god's gift to mankind and everyone ought to drive those. He keeps pounding that to our heads, while not knowing the difference between hubcaps and alloys. So far, Magnum hasn't told us that Suzukis or Japanese cars are the best and everything else is crap... so Im pretty sure magnum won't end up being a cali :)

Bingo! that summed it up! I love Japanese cars, but i wont force anyone to agree with me and i do not hate other cars such as Euro, Korean or American ones.

Suzuki is on death watch by auto industry analysts. The US pull out is to save money. They are alive only because they are so dominant in India. They desperately need to tie up with a larger manufacturer if they wish to survive. VW owns 20% in Suzuki but they have been at war with each other recently. That 20% stake is a stumbling block for another manufacturer to approach Suzuki. It's simply a matter of time before someone swallows them up. They have a very strong brand image in Asia so would make a perfect partner for a company that's weak in the region.

Its a shame what has happened to them, but they are still the no 1 Kei car manufacturer in Japan a stronghold no one has been able to break. I thought VWS pulled out of the agreement because they couldn't agree. GM thing also didnt work out well for them as they had to live with those rebaged Deawoos and the better models being given GM names, that I believe is one reasin they didn't do well in the USA. Heck they even made cars for Subaru.Its just the car side of it that they are week on, but the bikes are doing quite well I see. Wouldn't want any Chinese firm to get hold of them at any cost and it will have to be a strong brand with no hold in Asia in that case, which would obviously mean an European car maker if at all.

Its a shame what has happened to them, but they are still the no 1 Kei car manufacturer in Japan a stronghold no one has been able to break. I thought VWS pulled out of the agreement because they couldn't agree. GM thing also didnt work out well for them as they had to live with those rebaged Deawoos and the better models being given GM names, that I believe is one reasin they didn't do well in the USA. Heck they even made cars for Subaru.Its just the car side of it that they are week on, but the bikes are doing quite well I see. Wouldn't want any Chinese firm to get hold of them at any cost and it will have to be a strong brand with no hold in Asia in that case, which would obviously mean an European car maker if at all.

European car makers with that sort of financial power but still independent are a rarity. Fiat, Renault, Mercedes Benz, BMW, The VW Group are the only ones I can think of. BMW and Mercedes operate in a different market so are unlikely to be interested. Fiat competes in exactly the same market so a tie up with them might mean the death of Suzuki cars of sorts. Renault already owns Nissan. So the Chinese are really the only parties who might be interested.

Ironically if Maruti was to buy Suzuki, it might work out well for both parties :)

Honda and Top Gear join forces for world's fastest lawnmower

http://youtu.be/pwbuznckNIo

Honda and Top Gear are collaborating to create the fastest lawnmower… [JC voice] in the world.

The lawnmower is powered by a 110 bhp (82 kW) engine and will be able to reach 60 mph (96 km/h) in just four seconds, on its way to an impressive top speed of 130 mph (209 km/h). This is what Honda, Top Gear and Team Dynamics are working on as an attempt to take down the record for the world's fastest lawnmower currently held by Bobby Cleveland who hit 96.529 mph (155.35 km/h) in September 2010 at Bonneville Salt Flats.

The project originally began with a Honda HF2620 mower but during development it received a go-kart back axle, sports wheels and tires from a racing quad, 1000cc engine sourced from a Honda VTR1000F bike and the steering rack of a Morris Minor. The body panels and pedals are the only original parts left, while the blades were removed.

Top Gear says the project will be completed by June 17 so next week we'll get a closer look at the finished product.

True about the Kei cars Gummy but they just don't have the scale to compete. Toyota, VW, and GM make around 8 million vehicles each. Suzuki makes under 3m units and mostly cheap small cars where margins are low. VW hasn't pulled out Suzuki has. Because VW showed Suzuki as a subsidiary in their annual report Suzuki got offended and Japanese pride was hurt. There was a big war of words that followed. Germans typically like to dominate everybody else for their benefit as can be seen in the EU crisis today. That does not go well with the Japanese culture.

GM had to bail out as it was going down and sold it's stakes in Suzuki, Subaru and Isuzu and wound down Saab. Yes I too hope that the Chinese billions don't secure it - look at what they're doing to MG. Fiat could be a good partner. Suzuki is dominant in India and Fiat is struggling. Suzuki and Fiat already have agreements where Fiat supplies them with all their diesel engines - the 1.3 Multi-Jet. The SX4 was badged as the Fiat Sedici for Europe. But until VW exits nothing will happen. In the meantime VW will try every trick in the book for a takeover.

European car makers with that sort of financial power but still independent are a rarity. Fiat, Renault, Mercedes Benz, BMW, The VW Group are the only ones I can think of. BMW and Mercedes operate in a different market so are unlikely to be interested. Fiat competes in exactly the same market so a tie up with them might mean the death of Suzuki cars of sorts. Renault already owns Nissan. So the Chinese are really the only parties who might be interested.

Ironically if Maruti was to buy Suzuki, it might work out well for both parties :)

Hi Don, Suzuki is the controlling shareholder in the Indian venture. So there is very little chance of that happening. Mahendra might be lured in as they are hungry for aquisitions and growth. They made a bid for the Aston Martin stake last year.

Renault is being kept afloat by Nissan these days (because of the EU economic woes) so no hope there I believe. BMW and Mercedes with their current management will never try it after their blunders with Rover and Chrysler. Fiat competes in the same market but they are dsiasterous in India and the rest of Asia so it will be a good fit. But Fiat is busy swallowing up the rest of Chrysler this year so maybe it could happen later. But for anyone to be able to get access VW must decide to sell the 20% stake. And that is hard to imagine with the arrogance that they show.

Hi Don, Suzuki is the controlling shareholder in the Indian venture. So there is very little chance of that happening. Mahendra might be lured in as they are hungry for aquisitions and growth. They made a bid for the Aston Martin stake last year.

Renault is being kept afloat by Nissan these days (because of the EU economic woes) so no hope there I believe. BMW and Mercedes with their current management will never try it after their blunders with Rover and Chrysler. Fiat competes in the same market but they are dsiasterous in India and the rest of Asia so it will be a good fit. But Fiat is busy swallowing up the rest of Chrysler this year so maybe it could happen later. But for anyone to be able to get access VW must decide to sell the 20% stake. And that is hard to imagine with the arrogance that they show.

But it might be like the time when Porche owned VW for a small period of time. India is a big market and dare I say Maruti can probably raise the cash to buy out their parent if they really wanted to as they are probably responsible for a sizable chunk of Suzuki's profits when they pay a dividend.

But that aside, the Germans apart from VW has a woeful record in assimilating and restructuring struggling auto firms. VW has managed to rescue Skoda and Seat quite well, so credit due on that. But BMW failed with Rover and Mercedes with Chrysler.

Suzuki should now expand to other developing countries and build on their reputation for building good small cars. Perhaps its time for another joint venture somewhere else, probably in Africa or South America or even Russia.

But it might be like the time when Porche owned VW for a small period of time. India is a big market and dare I say Maruti can probably raise the cash to buy out their parent if they really wanted to as they are probably responsible for a sizable chunk of Suzuki's profits when they pay a dividend.

But that aside, the Germans apart from VW has a woeful record in assimilating and restructuring struggling auto firms. VW has managed to rescue Skoda and Seat quite well, so credit due on that. But BMW failed with Rover and Mercedes with Chrysler.

Suzuki should now expand to other developing countries and build on their reputation for building good small cars. Perhaps its time for another joint venture somewhere else, probably in Africa or South America or even Russia.

In theory it could happen but I think it is unlikely considering that they were the majority shareholders originally and they sold out to Suzuki. Why would you sell out your share when the company had a near monopoly? I think they lack vision unlike Tata and Mahindra who are intent on becoming glabal players.

VW has managed Bentley reasonably well making it profitable but probably doing long term damage to the brand and the Skoda turnaround has been brilliant. However they are still losing money with Seat, Lamborghini and Bugatti. However they makes such a massive from Audi that it really does not matter for now.

BMW has done a good job with Mini and Rolls, so they've learned from the Rover lesson.

Suzuki must love to do what you suggest but how can they do it? With what resources? In any of those markets Toyota can do a deal in a much lucrative manner than Suzuki can ever dream of. It's all a matter of size. Toyota can order the parts at a significant % cheaper than Suzuki can because of the difference in volumes.The best Suzuki can do is consolidate on their strengths and cut off their loss making operations (this is why they pulled out of the US mkt) and hope for a future partnership. They have no cutting edge tech to offer. The only jewel in the crown is their Indian market share.

The industry is such that when you don't have critical mass you cannot survive. Even the mighty Porsche, the company that had the highest margins in the industry was swallowed up by the giant VW group.