• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

970058_616495981694223_593109310_n.jpg

946241_616496021694219_78199599_n.jpg

944386_616495991694222_828098967_n.jpg

931389_616496538360834_1729732962_n.jpg

941328_616496495027505_1523218287_n.jpg

375660_616496521694169_1739922012_n.jpg

995311_616496568360831_785376880_n.jpg

Following a string of teasers, Toyota has officially revealed the 2014 Corolla in the U.S. specification.

On numerous occasions Toyota said the new Corolla is going to take styling cues from the surprisingly attractive Furia concept, but the end result isn't nearly as impressive as the concept shown earlier this year at NAIAS. However, it's significantly more appealing than the outgoing generation which should boost sales even further.

Sending a bit of a Honda vibe, the new Corolla comes as standard with LED low-beam headlamps and adopts a five-point lower front grille. The interior cabin is more evolved than what the predecessor has to offer and is more spacious thanks to a longer wheelbase which has increased by 3.93 inches (100 mm) to 106.3 inches (2700 mm). As a result of the elongated wheelbase, the 2014 Toyota provides an extra 2.95 inches of rear seat room.

Exterior dimensions stand at 182.6 inches (4639mm) length, 69.9 inches (1776 mm) width and 57.3 inches (1455 mm) height, meaning the new Corolla is 3.90 inches (99 mm) longer, 0.63 inches (16 mm) wider and 0.39 inches (10 mm) lower than before. Front overhangs have increased by 0.90 inches (23 mm) to 37.7 inches (958 mm), while rear overhangs have been shortened by 0.94 inches (24 mm) to 38.6 inches (981 mm).

The 2014 Toyota Corolla L, LE and S trim levels come with a 4-cylinder, 1.8-liter engine producing 132 bhp (98 kW), while the new LE Eco grade is powered by a 1.8-liter mill rated at 140 bhp (104 kW). Various gearboxes are available depending on trim level, with a six-speed manual for the L and S models, a seven-speed CVTi-S (continuously variable transmission intelligent-shift) for LE, LE Eco and S and an obsolete four-speed automatic for the entry-level L model.

The Eco-badged model brings improved aerodynamics and rides on low-rolling resistance tires which enable a highway fuel economy of more than 40 mpg US (48 mpg UK or 5.8 liters / 100 km). This figure was possible by making extensive use of lightweight, high-strength steel which has kept the Corolla's curb weight at less than 2,900 lbs (1,315 kg).

Standard equipment includes eight airbags, Bluetooth hand-free phone and audio-streaming connectivity, along with other equipment (depending on trim) such as back-up monitor, power moonroof, touchscreen radio, smart key / push-button start, SofTex seats and apps accessible via the audio head unit.

Edited by Magnum

The front reminds me of the grin of Fuzzy Bear on the Muppet Show. The rear and sides look alright but the dashboard reminds me of the old 70's Jap car dashboards.

Edited by CJ5

So basically a 260 Allion that has been shrunk in the wash and then microwaved on high, THEN had a badly mutated premio's ass welded in...

And here I was hoping the Furia concept meant that Toyota would be making a good looking Corolla this time around...

So basically a 260 Allion that has been shrunk in the wash and then microwaved on high, THEN had a badly mutated premio's ass welded in...

:sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004:

And here I was hoping the Furia concept meant that Toyota would be making a good looking Corolla this time around...

So any1 struggle whether to buy an Allio or Premio now can simply buy a 2014 Corolla...... :music-smiley-010:

I thought i was the only one who thought the front looks like an Allion :o

The front reminds me of the grin of Fuzzy Bear on the Muppet Show. The rear and sides look alright but the dashboard reminds me of the old 70's Jap car dashboards.

It seems to be a thing with Toyota these days, not just Corolla even some other cars have a similar looking dash

Is it just me or,

have they taken the inspiration from the posterior of the KIA cerato and made it just that little bit more uglier to make people believe that it's still a Toyota.

The days of the jaguar sonata is over.

All in all it's a corolla that I wouldn't bother driving in,

Edited: Well the rear isn't too bad. IMO its an improvement on the current Corolla rear.

Edited by Kavvz

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Jaliya48" data-cid="241652" data-time="1370657865"><p>

Why do these manufacturers model the auto box to look like a manual? Does the leather wraparound add horsepower?</p></blockquote>

It's a western thing that they don't like to show that they're driving an auto and anyway I personally prefer a small gate shifter than ordinary bigger auto shift lever with a button.

If you really look at, the shift lever of most of recent euros were like this and simply they folowed like many other things.

Also I see a passenger airbag deactivation switch which was available in Peugeots since 1999.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Jaliya48" data-cid="241652" data-time="1370657865"><p>

Why do these manufacturers model the auto box to look like a manual? Does the leather wraparound add horsepower?</p></blockquote>

It's a western thing that they don't like to show that they're driving an auto and anyway I personally prefer a small gate shifter than ordinary bigger auto shift lever with a button.

If you really look at, the shift lever of most of recent euros were like this and simply they folowed like many other things.

Also I see a passenger airbag deactivation switch which was available in Peugeots since 1999.

That's what I thought too. At least they've retired the center-mounted cluster...ewww!

Nice to see that they have changed the ugly looking side mirrors seen in JDM corolla 2013 (similar to Honda fit area/city style-no offense to Nice Honda though)

But for me AE100/ late 110 or 121 looks better

Edited by nano31

Is there a driver's airbag deactivation switch.

Drivers drive carelessly when they know they are safe risking the people in the back and outside the car.

More than that, I think this should be an option specific for SL market. You know, a typical corolla driver would want to deactivate the Airbags to prevent any damage to the dash in the event of an accident.

Toyota can save them the trouble of going around darly road to find someone to cut the wires...

(No offence intended to the corolla drivers who doesn't fit into the category)

Nice to see that they have changed the ugly looking side mirrors seen in JDM corolla 2013 (similar to Honda fit area/city style-no offense to Nice Honda though)

But for me AE100/ late 110 or 121 looks better

Side mirror of JDM is almost similar to the USA version but fixing point seems different.

May be the reason is reducing blind spots effect in JDM (Axio).

From Axio 2013 catalog

axio24.jpg

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 1

Toyota tried to give it a flashy design to compete with the likes of Elantra and Cerato and other European cars but ended up building a piece of junk. First of all, they should get a new designer(an European person most likely) in order to impress customers just like Kia did.

The new shape hatch has been on sale in Aus for a few months now. One variant even comes with paddle shift. Drove one and felt like it's the same old platform undernethe new clothing.

http://www.toyota.com.au/corolla/range?WT.ac=Toyota_ShowroomPage_Cars_Corolla_RangeandSpecs

The JDM version is badged as the Auris. I think it was available end of last year beg of this year ?

Went to AMLUX last week and kid got a time rental in their 4mil visitor appreciation celebration bingo game. Drove a 6-speed stripped down RS grade AURIS (the 86 had a waiting time and well the kid is only 2yrs old). Whist some aspects of it are as quite mundane and emotionless as the previous version (still no proper steering feel and somehow they manage to make that engine feel less tingly than my mom-in-law's electric Toyota sewing machine); The 2ZR-FAE engine with the 6MT (a first time combo drive for me) was pretty nippy . Also the car seems lower and the suspension harder (latter perhaps because it was the sport variant ???) made the car less body rolly and a bit more directed at turns (at least you get an idea of where the wheels are pointing at with this one) than the previous model which seemed a bit more mushy and felt like an egg rolling.

Although the newer one seems to be marginally better than the old one it is no where close to most of the euro hatches or the likes of those from Honda or Toyota's own from the past...sad...

All in all I can see what you are saying....seems like someone took the old bones and cut and shaved some parts off to try to turn it in to some euro hatch...

Edited by iRage