• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ripples On The Screen - Lcd Tv

Amila G

Hi Guys,

This is my 3 year old Sony TV and it's got these ripples on the screen. It's look like some coating on the display it melting !.

It's obviously out of warranty and when called siedles they told me to bring it in and did not say anything else.

These ripples can be felt when you touch the screen and it started about a month ago from the bottom and now gradually increasing to the top :( .

Has this happened to anyone else and do you guys know any better place to repair and any idea on the cost of replacing the lcd panel ?

Model KLV-32EX300 / purchased new from Siedles duty free shop

Here are some photos when the tv is turned off: AVfKOKW.jpg

n21bQxo.jpg

Edited by Amila G

My previous laptop screen ended up like that after not using it for a while. I didn't repair it because it usually means replacing the panel. What's the screen size?

Regards.

thanks for replying, it's 32 inch and used almost everyday at least 6 hrs a day so it can't be from not using. May be something is overheating ?

thanks for replying, it's 32 inch and used almost everyday at least 6 hrs a day so it can't be from not using. May be something is overheating ?

Maybe the panel reacted with the heat/temperature? I'm not sure what causes it but mine looked like it was melted.

Looks like the substandard production line quality failures are ending up in the SL market!!!

Edited by CJ5

Looks like the substandard production line quality failures are ending up in the SL market!!!

CJ5,

This substandard goods and materiel's had been in the past most manufacturers used dump to third world countries.

Most A L members say S L is a developing country.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

What is shown in OP is due to LCD front layer becoming gradually degraded possibly due to local temperature. AFAIK there is nothing you can do about it because given the price of replacing the LCD it does not make sense to repair the TV. These are some of the pitfalls of the modern age! Let's keep collecting more and more e-waste!

Sadly the LCD TVs and LCD screens in general are not as hardy as the older CRT screens. I've already replaced the screen twice on a laptop I own.

The only good news is the screen itself is probably universal. If you can source a used screen (probably something which had suffered controller failure or hit by lightning or something) you should be able to swap the LCD to that. It doesn't have to be a Sony, though some features like adjusting contrast and brightness might not work in exactly the same way as before if it's not an exact replacement. In most cases this does not affect usage.

• 5 years later...
On 6/9/2013 at 4:46 PM, Amila G said:

Hi Guys,

This is my 3 year old Sony TV and it's got these ripples on the screen. It's look like some coating on the display it melting !.

It's obviously out of warranty and when called siedles they told me to bring it in and did not say anything else.

These ripples can be felt when you touch the screen and it started about a month ago from the bottom and now gradually increasing to the top :( .

Has this happened to anyone else and do you guys know any better place to repair and any idea on the cost of replacing the lcd panel ?

Model KLV-32EX300 / purchased new from Siedles duty free shop

Here are some photos when the tv is turned off: AVfKOKW.jpg

n21bQxo.jpg

Did you get it repaired ? i have the same problem with my TV? pls let me know details. Thanks