• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Evo Engine

dingy

problem is "the effort" and whether you would be able to meet your expectations.

i have seen an add says that RX7 which is running with Evo 3 engine (http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=75231).

Anything is possible

impossible = possible , but infinite effort,time or cost.

if you could explain your real requirement, forum members will definitely help you.

what do any experts think of converting a lancer cedia to a Evo 9? or evo 7 body with a evo 9 engine?

Poscher,

Your cost have you estimated, have to spend for a modification like what you suggest is it worth? Wasting time with garages is the biggest problem,

Garage workers do not give in time whatever they promise. They will give all type of excuses to avoid time.

If you get at lest two people to your home and do the job then it will give you some satisfaction.

Best is to go for a good vehicle instead of thinking of doing a modification.

I have done plenty of modifications to vehicles during the dark era. At present I do not think doing any thing, having knowledge and workers to do.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

The Evo 9 engine is a 4G63T albeit a more up to date version of a fairly old engine with Mivec added in. This would fit any lancer chassis from the CA CB era to the CS3 era. The problem in converting to a Evo 9 is the rear differential. The mounts and the space is only there in an actual Evo and trying to fabricate it is a little complicated and the results are mixed. Most of the time it ends up being the weakest part of the build and prone to rust. This is why Evo conversions are rarer compared to STi/ WRX conversions where the rear diff is present in the Imprezza.

Fixing an Evo 9 engine to an old Lancer can be done, but the engine is really expensive, and I am not sure if the chassis and the axles have the strength to take that much power without modification. The final drive ratios will need to be changed as well and linking to the gearbox would be an interesting fabrication. Quite frankly I don't see the point as even at best you are likely to create a beast which does not behave itself well on the road.

The Evo 9 engine is a 4G63T albeit a more up to date version of a fairly old engine with Mivec added in. This would fit any lancer chassis from the CA CB era to the CS3 era. The problem in converting to a Evo 9 is the rear differential. The mounts and the space is only there in an actual Evo and trying to fabricate it is a little complicated and the results are mixed. Most of the time it ends up being the weakest part of the build and prone to rust. This is why Evo conversions are rarer compared to STi/ WRX conversions where the rear diff is present in the Imprezza.

Fixing an Evo 9 engine to an old Lancer can be done, but the engine is really expensive, and I am not sure if the chassis and the axles have the strength to take that much power without modification. The final drive ratios will need to be changed as well and linking to the gearbox would be an interesting fabrication. Quite frankly I don't see the point as even at best you are likely to create a beast which does not behave itself well on the road.

the think is i want todrop a fairly powerful motor into it...at the moment its running a orient 1200 engine the bore is cut to75 and it has 4 gsr pistons in it but the punch is not nough i just need to upgrade the engine a bit more...it doesnt have to be an evo 8 0r 9 maybe a less powerful motor atlast..what could u guys suggest

Thank you

the think is i want todrop a fairly powerful motor into it...at the moment its running a orient 1200 engine the bore is cut to75 and it has 4 gsr pistons in it but the punch is not nough i just need to upgrade the engine a bit more...it doesnt have to be an evo 8 0r 9 maybe a less powerful motor atlast..what could u guys suggest

Thank you

Dropping an Evo engine into a lancer A72 is probably one of the quickest ways you can kill yourself these days, providing of course you can get it installed and running first. The A72 is a fairly light car so it doesn't need THAT much power... Maybe look for a 1.4 Litre engine as fitted to some models of A72? Do some old fashioned tuning like a port polish, get a proper free flow exhaust on it (NOT a "beat barrel", a full system including manifolds), and maybe try and fit a set of twin carbs and you should have enough power to keep you amused.

Mind you all of the above will take lots of time+effort+cash so the simpler option might be saving up and buying something quicker...

I was a part of the 1stgenlancer forums, and they did have a car or two with the Evo engines. If I were you I would take the current engine and modify it. There is this guy who had done up his Lancer very nicely with the twin carb setting and engine mods. He goes by the handle dog286 on the forum.

Guys i want to know whether an evo engine could be installed into a Lancer a72

Thank you

If you swap the engine, you might end up swapping trannys too. And this will be a koti walige in a hurry, doing up axels, diffs (and possibly suspension) just to keep your wheels on the ground. You "might" have an easier time shoehorning a turbo in there (off a subbi or an evo).

Thats what I was thinking as well, as there aren't any good Evo 9 or 8 for sale at the moment, and haven't seen one pop up in a long time.

Since the chassis is different its always going to be a very difficult job to do. As you said the easiest to do is a Sti conversion, even a normal bugeye(ver7) impreza can be converted into hawkeye (ver 9) pretty easily.

If you swap the engine, you might end up swapping trannys too. And this will be a koti walige in a hurry, doing up axels, diffs (and possibly suspension) just to keep your wheels on the ground. You "might" have an easier time shoehorning a turbo in there (off a subbi or an evo).

Can i really drop a turbo into this engine?

you need to get

forged Pistons,

better Fuel pump,

Brake upgrade,

Intercooler

supporting Ecu or a tune

better clutch,

etc etc..

Technically possible. You might have to custom build an exhaust manifold and then it's just a matter of piecing together the rest of the supporting mods, most of which @Blitz listed out. You might be able to get away with stock internals for a while but all depends on the set up you're going for. If you decide to run bigger boost, you're looking at better pistons, injectors, fuel pump, timer and the whole nine yards. But see a professional and weigh out your options, Turbo or swap, he will give you a better idea about the practicality of either road you take.

Technically possible. You might have to custom build an exhaust manifold and then it's just a matter of piecing together the rest of the supporting mods, most of which @Blitz listed out. You might be able to get away with stock internals for a while but all depends on the set up you're going for. If you decide to run bigger boost, you're looking at better pistons, injectors, fuel pump, timer and the whole nine yards. But see a professional and weigh out your options, Turbo or swap, he will give you a better idea about the practicality of either road you take.

Sounds like a lot of work.....so what can i do to increase its performance in the current state its its in..and will a k and N filter and housing do a difference??

Sounds like a lot of work.....so what can i do to increase its performance in the current state its its in..and will a k and N filter and housing do a difference??

It is a lot of work but I'm sure you know that an engine swap is no walk in the park. A freer flowing intake alone will help a bit but I doubt you will "feel" much different. Read through Komisiripala's Project R thread. It's an interesting build and you will be able to pick up some areas you can improve on.

2.5 straight through + good fuel pump + air Intake + k&N filter and few weight reduction .. :grinning-smiley-003:

Dropping an Evo engine into a lancer A72 is probably one of the quickest ways you can kill yourself these days, providing of course you can get it installed and running first. The A72 is a fairly light car so it doesn't need THAT much power... Maybe look for a 1.4 Litre engine as fitted to some models of A72? Do some old fashioned tuning like a port polish, get a proper free flow exhaust on it (NOT a "beat barrel", a full system including manifolds), and maybe try and fit a set of twin carbs and you should have enough power to keep you amused.

Mind you all of the above will take lots of time+effort+cash so the simpler option might be saving up and buying something quicker...

Yes, probably the best way to go.

I managed to restore the 1400 Saturn engine of my A72 (not with me anymore) after doing some subtle performance enhancements such as port polishing and tweaking the carburetor and so on. I found it to be significantly more powerful than before. Certainly not Evo perfomance though! And one other thing that you might want to consider is to change your gearbox to a 5 speed (Some A72s had a 5 speed tranny), because I'm sure you have felt the shortage of another gear at high speeds.

I personally think that dropping in a 4G63T on to an A72 just destroys its identity. If I were you, I'd worry more about the car as a whole than just the engine and its performance.

Yes you can. I was not lucky enough to find a matching turbo at the time, but I have seen a couple of A72s with turbo.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

Yes, probably the best way to go.

I managed to restore the 1400 Saturn engine of my A72 (not with me anymore) after doing some subtle performance enhancements such as port polishing and tweaking the carburetor and so on. I found it to be significantly more powerful than before. Certainly not Evo perfomance though! And one other thing that you might want to consider is to change your gearbox to a 5 speed (Some A72s had a 5 speed tranny), because I'm sure you have felt the shortage of another gear at high speeds.

I personally think that dropping in a 4G63T on to an A72 just destroys its identity. If I were you, I'd worry more about the car as a whole than just the engine and its performance.

Yes you can. I was not lucky enough to find a matching turbo at the time, but I have seen a couple of A72s with turbo.

Guys you all are wasting time in replying this fellow....

I gave all my Super Hawk parts to this guy free!

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/14122-honda-hawk/?hl=hawk

And the very next day He has advertised all the stuff in a famous free advertising web as Charith (Original name). I commented on the ad and now he has advertised it under his friends name Lahiru. (Search super hawk alloy wheel for sale in this famous site - its Posted by Lahiru ‎03 Jun 08:54 pm, Mount Lavinia)

So guys dont waste time on an unprofessional guy like this.

Admin, you may delete this if it is against the rules. But I had to tell this...

• Like 6

Sad to see member camaraderie being abused like this.I've had AL members give me free parts and services when they found out that I'm in to classics.All in the name seeing a car they liked but couldn't own come back to life.To take that generosity and use it for financial gains would be the lowest of the low...

First of all rachitha why want u call this laboring guy and check it out and why want you come and cheap,k the bike out for your self.....the bike is completely assembled except for the engine....and mind u I have no idea who this lahiru guy is...if you still dont believe me y want you come and check the bike out for your self and y want the both of us go meet this lahiru guy our selves???....why want you

U go call him and check it out before accusing me....why want u come by my place tomorrow and check it out for your self?then u will see all whether I was selling them or not.........the only part I sold was a set of hawk carbs which I never got from you......and now since u have mentioned this lahiru,s name my mechanic sold the those carbs to some guy named lahiru.....but I can assure u I'm no low life to do something like that....at the moment I'm not in Colomba but you are more than welcomed to go see the bike at my place and then u tell me whether I'm selling if or not...........

Really sorry about all the spelling mistakes it was the.freaking autocorrect ....I think for places instead of lahiru it says labouring...........rachitha u are more.than welcome to come check the bike out at any time.......

Now getting back to tus topic will a 5 speed gear box do a big difference???

Really sorry about all the spelling mistakes it was the.freaking autocorrect ....I think for places instead of lahiru it says labouring...........rachitha u are more.than welcome to come check the bike out at any time....... Now getting back to tus topic will a 5 speed gear box do a big difference???

For some reason I could not save the ad under your name put up the very next day you took the parts and it was your phone number advertised. I was so dissapointed and complained to the web admin and he must have removed it. So please dont lie that you never advertised the parts. Anyways I have given it and you can do what ever you want. Just be honest. You can continue with your evo engine.

Edited by Rachitha

For some reason I could not save the ad under your name put up the very next day you took the parts and it was your phone number advertised. I was so dissapointed and complained to the web admin and he must have removed it. So please dont lie that you never advertised the parts. Anyways I have given it and you can do what ever you want. Just be honest. You can continue with your evo engine.

Rachitha first of all I had no intention to even think of something like that...and top of all the my parents want allow me to do such a thing....rachitha all I can tell you is all this news is new to me and I'm seriously telling u you could come check it put for your self intact I was gonna.start a.thread.about it.yesterday but when I heard all this It didn't feel.right...I should have atleast contacted me and checked wether it's true or not atleast

Coz u just called me a scam in a public forum without even checking...

And please if u are in Rathmalana side please feel free to drop on and check for your self

And one more request can u please tell on what website you saw this

Thank you