• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Post Whoring - Part 2

MADZ

And i wonder why ceypetco is making losses :mosking:

No in fact "they" are making gains. They want us believe that whatever they sell is in our best interest. Hence 270m is not too costly. Nothing is too costly as long as they can push Goebbels theory down our throat.

No in fact "they" are making gains. They want us believe that whatever they sell is in our best interest. Hence 270m is not too costly. Nothing is too costly as long as they can push Goebbels theory down our throat.

Goebbel's theory...

The cornerstone of Sri Lankan democracy!

<quote>pudana kotama kaapi yakaa (the devil swallowed the offering before the offering was even complete)! </quote>

Translating sinhala pirulu is hilarious sometimes... :D reminds me of that famous saying "The bit of cow's output is put into the milk pot!" ;) and "knock-a knock-a bend a fool, bend-a bend-a knock- a fool" (gahanda gahanda wandina minihath modaya, wandinna wandinna gahana minihath modaya)!

Edited by Bracket

<quote>pudana kotama kaapi yakaa (the devil swallowed the offering before the offering was even complete)! </quote>

Translating sinhala pirulu is hilarious sometimes... :D reminds me of that famous saying "The bit of cow's output is put into the milk pot!" ;) and "knock-a knock-a bend a fool, bend-a bend-a knock- a fool" (gahanda gahanda wandina minihath modaya, wandinna wandinna gahana minihath modaya)!

You should see the Sinhala subtitles for English movies in Derana TV,

A mother encourages his son when he is about to start singing in a competition,

She says - Go break a leg son.

Sinhala subtitles says - Putha, yanna kakulak kadanna.

ha ha ha

Edited by trinity
  • Like 2

You should see the Sinhala subtitles for English movies in Derana TV,

A mother encourages his son when he is about to start singing in a competition,

She says - Go break a leg son.

Sinhala subtitles says - Putha, yanna kakulak kadanna.

ha ha ha

LOLOL would've loved to see that!

well, i guess this is as public a forum as autolanka has. so i'll make an announcement:

some time i ago i requested some of you on and off the forum privately to provide assistance fro a needy patient from my neighbourhood who needed a cochlear implant hearing device. i was on the the process of collecting 950,000 for this girl so she could buy the external audio processing unit of the implant, so she may continue to hear, and attend regular school.

the support you guys showed was astounding. i set out to make a few thousands, but ended up with such an overwhelming flood of donations that last week we hit the mark. they have now placed the order for the device and its on the way from USA. i will post some photos when its in her hands.

my sincere thanks go out to all of you who helped, in any small or large way. you have helped ensure than an 11 year old girl can continue to learn and live her life as happily and full of opportunity as any other regular kid her age.

that, is the greatest gift of all.

Edited by Komisiripala
  • Like 7

well, i guess this is as public a forum as autolanka has. so i'll make an announcement:

some time i ago i requested some of you on and off the forum privately to provide assistance fro a needy patient from my neighbourhood who needed a cochlear implant hearing device. i was on the the process of collecting 950,000 for this girl so she could buy the external audio processing unit of the implant, so she may continue to hear, and attend regular school.

the support you guys showed was astounding. i set out to make a few thousands, but ended up with such an overwhelming flood of donations that last week we hit the mark. they have now placed the order for the device and its on the way from USA. i will post some photos when its in her hands.

my sincere thanks go out to all of you who helped, in any small or large way. you have helped ensure than an 11 year old girl can continue to learn and live her life as happily and full of opportunity as any other regular kid her age.

that, is the greatest gift of all.

Thank you for spearheading it :)

Found this on the net

Hi, Ferman!

I recently bought a Toyota Vios 1.5 equipped with a four-speed automatic transmission. I have a habit of shifting to neutral during stop-and-go traffic conditions and while waiting for the light to go green.

My question is: will this have a bad effect on my transmission? I feel like leaving the gear set to D during traffic consumes more fuel and might place additional stress on the brakes because it is trying to stop the car constantly. Is this true as well?

I used to drive a Lancer 1.6 equipped with CVT. I never really had a problem with the transmission despite doing the same thing. But I've read that CVT is different from a traditional automatic transmission, which the Vios has. I'm really wondering if this driving habit is good for my car or not.

Thank you very much for reading this letter.

Regards,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

What you are doing is correct.

Quite a number of drivers, particularly the ones who picked up bad driving habits from other drivers who didn't know any better, often practice improper driving by not shifting to neutral when the car is not moving. While I would like to tell you that there is a good reason (under normal circumstances) for keeping it in D and stepping on the brakes at a stop, I can't. It's mostly born out of laziness and improper training.

As you have correctly surmised, the engine does consume more fuel and you do wear down your brake-system components more when you leave your transmission in D or Drive while the traffic light is red or when you’re idling and waiting.

With automatic transmissions, the engine is energizing or driving the transmission to move in the direction of the gear you've selected--forward or reverse. When you keep it in gear, you are telling your vehicle to move; when you're on the brakes, you're preventing motion. You're unnecessarily and slowly raising your automatic transmission fluid, wearing out your transmission clutches, and consuming more fuel because you're on the brakes to keep the car from inching forward. You're also unnecessarily wearing down and heating up your brake pads. By simply shifting to N or neutral there would be no need to apply the brakes with the amount of force required to resist forward motion.

If you notice all of the above result in unnecessary wear, all of which increase the cost of operating and maintaining your vehicle. It's also a very unsafe practice as if you happen to accidentally lift your foot off the brake, you will most likely get into an accident.

While we're on the subject of automatic transmissions, it is also a very bad habit to shift into P or Park when you're at a stoplight. Numerous drivers have adopted the practice as well and, quite frankly, it is also an accident waiting to happen apart from slowing damaging a different part of your transmission, which will eventually lead to the a different sort of automatic transmission failure.

It won't matter if your car has CVT or the conventional multi-speed automatic transmission. Shifting to neutral under most normal conditions is good practice.

Best regards,

Ferman Lao
Tech editor

• Like 2

Found this on the net

Hi, Ferman!

I recently bought a Toyota Vios 1.5 equipped with a four-speed automatic transmission. I have a habit of shifting to neutral during stop-and-go traffic conditions and while waiting for the light to go green.

My question is: will this have a bad effect on my transmission? I feel like leaving the gear set to D during traffic consumes more fuel and might place additional stress on the brakes because it is trying to stop the car constantly. Is this true as well?

I used to drive a Lancer 1.6 equipped with CVT. I never really had a problem with the transmission despite doing the same thing. But I've read that CVT is different from a traditional automatic transmission, which the Vios has. I'm really wondering if this driving habit is good for my car or not.

Thank you very much for reading this letter.

Regards,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

What you are doing is correct.

Quite a number of drivers, particularly the ones who picked up bad driving habits from other drivers who didn't know any better, often practice improper driving by not shifting to neutral when the car is not moving. While I would like to tell you that there is a good reason (under normal circumstances) for keeping it in D and stepping on the brakes at a stop, I can't. It's mostly born out of laziness and improper training.

As you have correctly surmised, the engine does consume more fuel and you do wear down your brake-system components more when you leave your transmission in D or Drive while the traffic light is red or when you’re idling and waiting.

With automatic transmissions, the engine is energizing or driving the transmission to move in the direction of the gear you've selected--forward or reverse. When you keep it in gear, you are telling your vehicle to move; when you're on the brakes, you're preventing motion. You're unnecessarily and slowly raising your automatic transmission fluid, wearing out your transmission clutches, and consuming more fuel because you're on the brakes to keep the car from inching forward. You're also unnecessarily wearing down and heating up your brake pads. By simply shifting to N or neutral there would be no need to apply the brakes with the amount of force required to resist forward motion.

If you notice all of the above result in unnecessary wear, all of which increase the cost of operating and maintaining your vehicle. It's also a very unsafe practice as if you happen to accidentally lift your foot off the brake, you will most likely get into an accident.

While we're on the subject of automatic transmissions, it is also a very bad habit to shift into P or Park when you're at a stoplight. Numerous drivers have adopted the practice as well and, quite frankly, it is also an accident waiting to happen apart from slowing damaging a different part of your transmission, which will eventually lead to the a different sort of automatic transmission failure.

It won't matter if your car has CVT or the conventional multi-speed automatic transmission. Shifting to neutral under most normal conditions is good practice.

Best regards,

Ferman Lao

Tech editor

And here is a counter argunemnt

"Myth No. 5: It's best to shift an automatic transmission into Neutral at red lights. This myth stems from the idea that keeping the transmission in Drive while stepping on the brake wastes fuel and causes unnecessary wear on the driveline. In fact, actual engine wear and fuel loss are minimal.

Regularly shifting from Neutral and back into Drive when the light turns green, then immediately stepping on the gas, can wear — albeit slightly — on the transmission, driveline and engine mounts. Ultimately, these stoplight antics probably won't amount to any measurable harm or good; they're likely just a habit by folks who need to keep their hand busy with the gear selector. Our advice? Get a stick shift."

Source : http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=yd&subject=yd_myth&story=ydMyths

There is no correct answer to this problem

Everytime a car is driven on the road

1. it consumes fuel

2. engine gets worn out

3. brake pads get worn out

4. tranmission gets worn out

5. interior gets worn out

6. electricals get worn out

7. tyres get worn out

if you are so worried about the impact of shifting to neutral in a traffic light, then keep the car at home and take a trishaw. shifting to neutral wears out the gear wheels a bit. not shifting wears out the engine and brake pads a bit...

it doesnt really mattter if you shift to neutral or not in a traffic light. vehicles are subjected to wear and tear. Just like stig said, there's no correct answer to this question.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 2

• MADZ locked this topic