• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Post Whoring - Part 2

MADZ

There seems to be 24 books, never heard of Land of soviets and Alph-Art

ALPH Art was the book Herge was working on when he died. It was completed by someone else.

Soviets is a highly politically motivated anti-soviet book with very poor quality drawings (Herges first work)

If you notice Tintins hair tuft was not quite prominent then...

Tintin03.jpg

01_tintin_in_the_land_of_the_soviets_pag

Reminds me of a story of how being a Tintin fan actually landed myself a job... Being a software engineer, I was given a practical test and it was to build a simple website to manage ships and shipments. As sample data, I entered ship names like "Karaboudjan", "Sirius", "Aurora", "Peary" and so on. :P

I was called in for the final interview and the interviewer (who was apparently the reviewer of my work and also a Tintin fan) and his first question was "A Tintin nut are we?" We spoke about Tintin for about 10 minutes and then.... I got the job. :D

Hahahaha that must have been so awesome :D speaking about tin tin in an interview LOL hahaha...

I used to tell a boss of mine in a previous workplace of mine about how i learnt stuff from tin tin books... he used to laugh at me after hearing that :D

Dude! you have all 21 books? I only have about 10 but I left them at Kandy home, should get them back. Loved every story every thing is well in detail all the little things were well thought of. Hergé was one brilliant creator. I have read every book over 10 times. My fav is The calculus affair since its my first tin tin book. Cartoon series was also good, love the fast phase action not like the Ben 10 shit nowadays, although the movie didn't become that popular. Any one know where to buy these books new?

I managed to collect all the 21 books by grade 7 I guess... those days I used to get 5/10 rupees as pocket money... the day I collect Rs. 215 was like christmas for me cuz then i used to rush to the bookshop to buy a tin tin book... the bookshop close to my house had the cheapest tin tin books... other places it were like 300 bucks... back in the day 215 was like a huge some... in 1999/2000...

And those books can help to improve ones English knowledge.

I will try some leading book stores, but I don't think they are republishing them now.

Yes, learnt a lot of new words and also about the world from that book... Especially about mummy's and pharoah's etc :D

a2d79k.jpg

This land of tin tin etc. books are not written by herge i thing that's why there aren't in the original list....

ALPH Art was the book Herge was working on when he died. It was completed by someone else.

Soviets is a highly politically motivated anti-soviet book with very poor quality drawings (Herges first work)

If you notice Tintins hair tuft was not quite prominent then...

Tintin03.jpg

01_tintin_in_the_land_of_the_soviets_pag

I'm reading it now on the internet

Alph art was completed by a cult of tin tin author. The actual book only had drawings and sketches.

My collection was handed from much older cousin. I have a few of hard cover first editions:)

Chaps if you need alph art and Congo and soviets head to house of fashion they got at bargain price!

PL- when I bought one missing book as a kid in 1994 it was 136 rupees :)

• Like 2

I am, I watched most of the series until Fox Mulder's departure in the 7th series. Didn't like the T1000 as Mulder's replacement :D

Adey nice... I watched all 9 and am very very excited of the Season 10 which is coming out this January :D

yeah I know I didn't like him too but watched till the end to see the return of mulder :D

I watched all 9 seasons for like more than 5 times.... damn fan I'm of that...

• Like 1

Alph art was completed by a cult of tin tin author. The actual book only had drawings and sketches. My collection was handed from much older cousin. I have a few of hard cover first editions:) Chaps if you need alph art and Congo and soviets head to house of fashion they got at bargain price! PL- when I bought one missing book as a kid in 1994 it was 136 rupees :)

Ah I see :) Do you know how much is a book now?

Alph art was completed by a cult of tin tin author. The actual book only had drawings and sketches. My collection was handed from much older cousin. I have a few of hard cover first editions:) Chaps if you need alph art and Congo and soviets head to house of fashion they got at bargain price! PL- when I bought one missing book as a kid in 1994 it was 136 rupees :)

Do they have the other not so rare ones too?

Adey nice... I watched all 9 and am very very excited of the Season 10 which is coming out this January :D

yeah I know I didn't like him too but watched till the end to see the return of mulder :D

I watched all 9 seasons for like more than 5 times.... damn fan I'm of that...

Big X-Files fan here as well. I was reminiscing the main storyline/plot the other day and now that I think about it it’s pretty cheesy. Aline colonization, rebel alien group, black virus etc. Anyway I’m looking forward for the reboot. It’ll be interesting to see the story behind the reincarnation of the cigarette smoking man.

• Like 1

Big X-Files fan here as well. I was reminiscing the main storyline/plot the other day and now that I think about it it’s pretty cheesy. Aline colonization, rebel alien group, black virus etc. Anyway I’m looking forward for the reboot. It’ll be interesting to see the story behind the reincarnation of the cigarette smoking man.

yes yes woooohooooo :D

I have not seen Alph-Art, The Making of Tintin and Soviets in stores when I was looking for them in SL (late 90s). Not sure from where my father got his books from, but he bought me all the new ones from Premium Stationers in Liberty Plaza (Ground Floor).

Came across a few PDF versions online of the entire collection as well, but didn't actually download any. Nothing beats holding the actual book in your hands and reading it. Even the cartoon series was a "cut and chopped" version of the book to fit into 30 minute slots.

As for X-Files, I have all seasons downloaded and safely backed-up on a hard drive with all my other collections.

• Like 1

I have not seen Alph-Art, The Making of Tintin and Soviets in stores when I was looking for them in SL (late 90s). Not sure from where my father got his books from, but he bought me all the new ones from Premium Stationers in Liberty Plaza (Ground Floor).

Came across a few PDF versions online of the entire collection as well, but didn't actually download any. Nothing beats holding the actual book in your hands and reading it. Even the cartoon series was a "cut and chopped" version of the book to fit into 30 minute slots.

As for X-Files, I have all seasons downloaded and safely backed-up on a hard drive with all my other collections.

Yeah I had all 9 seasons too and the hard got corrupted and lost it including 300 or something movies... then as I was depressed a friend gifted me the entire 9 series DVD set :D

It is REALLY nice to see some Sri Lankan kids winning some categories in the Toyota art contest...

http://www.toyota-global.com/events/dream_car_art_contest/world/2015/awardgallery.html#section

Under 7 Category

Gold medal : Alpha-bird by a 7 year old SL girl

under07_001.jpg

8-11 Category

Bronze medal : Life changing car - 11 year old boy ?

08-11yrs_004.jpg

Best Finalist : Landslide saving car ? - 11 year old boy

08-11yrs_010.jpg

• Like 2

Rolls Royce Found Sweeping Roads In India!

https://www.facebook.com/sahiljagtiani/photos/a.707661025939146.1073741825.126521564053098/768444299860818/?type=3&theater

229059.jpg

One day during his visit to London, King Jai Singh was walking in a casual dress in Bond Street. He saw a Rolls Royce showroom and went inside to inquire about the Price and Features etc of their cars.

Considering him as just another Poor Indian citizen, the showroom salesmen insulted him and almost showed him the way out of the showroom. After this insult, King Jai Singh came back to his Hotel room and asked his servants to call the showroom and say that the King of #Alwar_city is interested in purchasing a few of their Cars.

After a few hours the King reached the Rolls Royce showroom again but with his full astonishing royal manner and in his royal costume. When he reached the showroom there was already a red carpet on the floor and all the salesmen were bent with respect. The King purchased all the six cars that they had at the showroom at that time and paid the full amount including the delivery costs.

After reaching India, the King ordered the municipal department to use all those six Rolls Royce cars for cleaning and transporting the city’s waste. The World’s number one Rolls Royce cars were being used for transportation of the City’s waste. The news spread all over the world rapidly and the reputation of the Rolls Royce Company was down the drain.

Whenever someone used to boast in Europe or America that he owned a Rolls Royce, people would laugh saying, “which one? The same that is used in India for carrying the waste of the City?”

Due to such reputation damages, the sales of Rolls Royce dropped rapidly and the revenue of company owners started falling down. Then they sent a Telegram to the king in India with their sincerest apologies and requested him to stop transporting waste in Rolls Royce cars. Not only this but they also offered Six new cars to the king free of cost.

When King Jai Singh observed that Rolls Royce had learnt their lesson and were sorry for their mistakes, the king stopped using their cars for carrying waste.

• Like 2

a2d79k.jpg

ugh... I haven't read the "In the Land of the Soviets" is it a new book.

• MADZ locked this topic