• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Post Whoring - Part 2

MADZ

Guys, what is the distance a car (Lets say a Prius) can go without the smart key till it realizes that the key isn't there and maybe stop or switch-off the car??

I bet not so long.. :mosking:

AFAIK in a situation like that the fuel pump shuts down and the car is going to run only on whatever fuel is left in the fuel line, which will only get it a couple of blocks.

But i'm not sure if that's the case when i comes to hybrid cars.

@JFLanka - my boss has a Prius and got it for a small errand and came back to work, and while on start his driver took the car and went to my bosses residence 5km away. he never switched off the car but handed over something and came back. only when he tried to lock the car he noticed there wasn't a key to be found, which was actually in my pocket :P

so this car just went on its own without a key 5km and came back a total of approx 10km without any incident...

Haiyoo Sallieee

@JFLanka - my boss has a Prius and got it for a small errand and came back to work, and while on start his driver took the car and went to my bosses residence 5km away. he never switched off the car but handed over something and came back. only when he tried to lock the car he noticed there wasn't a key to be found, which was actually in my pocket :P

so this car just went on its own without a key 5km and came back a total of approx 10km without any incident...

Haiyoo Sallieee

I think when the car is started with the key around, the car does not periodically check if the key is present in proximity. Immobilizer activates only if someone managed to start the car without the proper key.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I dont know in other brands but the JDM dpec RAV4s I have had does not shut off. I've had wife, drivers, mechanics take off with the car. You just can't start the car again without the key because apparently when u stop the engine without the key around the immobilizer goes in to some secure 'mode'. In one instance the doors got locked. No idea how that happened and might be something else that made it do that (i think i posted before some cases where I got locked out of the car). Yes, the smart key (Toyota one atleast) is pretty dumb when u think of possibilities such as chopping.

I thought this behaviour was specific to JDM models because in some countries u get insurance discounts etc for features such asthe engine shutdown. Does anyone have exp. with non JDM smart keys?

I was just joking about the chopping part mate, it was the 1st time i came across this situation and was surprising to me how this could happen. i dunno if 3rd party security systems have the same problem or if they are better than this.

Guys, what is the distance a car (Lets say a Prius) can go without the smart key till it realizes that the key isn't there and maybe stop or switch-off the car??

I don’t know about the prius, but in my allion, there is a dash board indicator that lights up along with a beep sound if the car cannot detect the key.This happens almost immediately when you take the key about a feet away from the car. But like iRage said it won’t shut down automatically no matter how far you go. Only thing is that you cannot start the car again if you shut it down, and the beep is annoying :) But my one never locks itself if I try to start the car without the key, only the dash board indicator lights up along with the beep.

I do like some features of the smart key, such as door handle button lock and auto unlock when you touch the handle or go past the driver’s door, it’s so convenient. I like the feature of the cabin lighting up when it sense the presence of the smart key nearby. Also if you try to lock the car when the key is inside it will never lock. But sometimes it does act up, when you are near high power communication towers it won’t detect the key unless you get it out of your pocket and hold it near the steering wheel. I have heard some allion smart key systems malfunctions over time, but my one still didn’t.

Edited by asrock
  • Like 1

I think when the car is started with the key around, the car does not periodically check if the key is present in proximity. Immobilizer activates only if someone managed to start the car without the proper key.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

It looks for the key periodically. The dash board light comes up along with the beep as soon as the key is not within range.

still the problem is you can drive off with the car no matter what??? whats the point if the car aint there???

don't know about u all but if someone threatens and takes your car from you and drives off only hving a beep from the car that irritates you, he can drive off dismantle what ever he pleases and sell it off.

• Like 1

still the problem is you can drive off with the car no matter what??? whats the point if the car aint there???

don't know about u all but if someone threatens and takes your car from you and drives off only hving a beep from the car that irritates you, he can drive off dismantle what ever he pleases and sell it off.

yup I agree, security wise its useless. They should have made it so that after few minutes the engine automatically stops and locks it self with the thief inside! :D

Edited by asrock
  • Like 1

Asrock, Prius has the same warning I believe but the beep stops after sometime and only the light stays on.

When I said it locked the doors this was after the engine was turned off and the door was open and shut.

As for not locking thecdoors if the key is inside. Not fool proof. Search thevforun for some of my old pists. It does lock the doors when the key is inside under certain circumstances. IMHO the actual keys with the transponder inside were lot more practical in msny ways.

• MADZ locked this topic