• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Latest Law On Tint Windows

kushan

Guys,

Is there any latest update you know of tinting front windows, I have tinted my front windows with most lightest tint, (It has been there nearly 3 years now) today a cop stopped my car and took my driving licence and said remove it show them within 3 days otherwise they gonna raise a case in court.

Edited by kushan

Kushan,

That is correct. TO my knowledge the law is not amended yet.

For privileged people the law doesn’t apply. I noticed one few days back.

On Negambo road Police car chased behind the car and requested driver to stop the vehicle.

That car had fully dark tinted Windows. I stopped my vehicle behind to see what will happen.

Driver did not get down he stayed inside the car then policeman walk to the vehicle.

Had a conversation for few (2) minutes with the driver, released the car.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

These regulations keep changing all the time. The latest what I heard was that no tinting whatsoever could be done on the front windows or windscreen (even the shade strip) but this seems to be through a circular issued by Sec.MoD, and that raises a few legal issues as to the legality of the circular as the authorities to issue such circulars are the Minister of Transport or the Comm. of Motor Traffic under provisions of the Motor Traffic Act.

You can do the following:

1. remove the tint and show it to the police.

2. Get advice from a lawyer competent in motor traffic issues and act accordingly

PS.

What does the infringement note say? Under what regulation/law does the charge cite?

Edited by CJ5

hmm.. thanks guys, thought the law has been changed to allow light tint on front windows..

Is it factory fitted tint (ie tinted glass) or locally pasted tint sticker?

If it is a factory fitted tint, you have a chance of keeping it. If its a tinted sticker, you have no option but to remove.

Incidentally, this is a selectively applied law. I have driven many vehicles with tinted glass in front, but no cop bothered to stop me.

Incidentally, this is a selectively applied law. I have driven many vehicles with tinted glass in front, but no cop bothered to stop me.

I was stopped once in wifey's Alto for the same reason of having a light tint on the front windows, and I challenged them to show me under what regulation/law and section they were charging me and then they had a talk amongst themselves and asked me to go! But the larger vehicles have never been challenged!

If it is a factory fitted tint, you have a chance of keeping it. If its a tinted sticker, you have no option but to remove.

yep the cops only bother with some vehicles, i had all the glasses tinted in my car( it looked extra dark mine cuz my car is also black) till recently but cops never bothered me

I faced a similar situation with my old Lancer which had a light tint on front windows. The car was Grey in colour which Navy officers used mostly.

When I was stopped I said this was bought from Navy and the tint was the glass not a sticker and I cant help with the situation. Then I was asked to go. That was the onlytime I was stopped for 3.5 years I had the vehicle.

The Policeman said that one cannot see the reflection his face when looking through the front windows from outside. That was a hiddious argument since it was near the Tennis Club where the road was shady.

IMO Its all personal interpritation even when it comes to Police.

the one stopped my car is a young one, probably a someone who wants to score some points. I had this light tint on my car for around 3 years now. But no one bothered before. But today suddenly some j***a$$ wanted to score some points..

Its the sticker mate. But no one can really tell it is a sticker. Because all of the other windows are originally tinted glasses. I think that junkie just gave a shot to find something, since nothing couldn't be found, he just aimed at tints

I faced a similar situation with my old Lancer which had a light tint on front windows. The car was Grey in colour which Navy officers used mostly.

When I was stopped I said this was bought from Navy and the tint was the glass not a sticker and I cant help with the situation. Then I was asked to go. That was the onlytime I was stopped for 3.5 years I had the vehicle.

The Policeman said that one cannot see the reflection his face when looking through the front windows from outside. That was a hiddious argument since it was near the Tennis Club where the road was shady.

IMO Its all personal interpritation even when it comes to Police.

The same thing happened to me at Moratuwa. In my case, I told them that the car has a factory fitted tint (after which they inspeted it closely) and concluded that it really was when actually it is a sticker (which has a very light tint). I should remember the Navy thing next time.

I drive a car with light a greenish tint but so far not faced any issues IMO because the color is so uncommon that it does not draw attention of the cops. I am yet to hear of someone being charged at a court on this particular offence but under the section 2A of the principal enactment one can be charged for modifying a vehicle without the prior approval of RMV.

. under the section 2A of the principal enactment one can be charged for modifying a vehicle without the prior approval of RMV.

This boils down to the interpretation of what constitutes "modifying", and on the "rules of interpretation" using what is known as the Mischief Rule where the basis is "what was it that was sought to be prevented by the provision", it can be easily argued that "modifying" according to S2A constitutes a significant structural or other change of nature of the vehicle where the vehicle is not what it was when originally inspected by the RMV at the time of registration and due to such modification is unsuitable or dangerous to be driven on the road and/or now is within a different category of vehicles altogether.

I am almost certain that tinting a vehicle will not fall under this section. If it does then even fixing a spoiler, or even mud flaps will constitute modification and would be liable to be charged rendering the interpretation absurd.. :)

Edited by CJ5
  • Like 1

This boils down to the interpretation of what constitutes "modifying", and on the "rules of interpretation" using what is known as the Mischief Rule where the basis is "what was it that was sought to be prevented by the provision", it can be easily argued that "modifying" according to S2A constitutes a significant structural or other change of nature of the vehicle where the vehicle is not what it was when originally inspected by the RMV at the time of registration and due to such modification is unsuitable or dangerous to be driven on the road and/or now is within a different category of vehicles altogether.

I am almost certain that tinting a vehicle will not fall under this section. If it does then even fixing a spoiler, or even mud flaps will constitute modification and would be liable to be charged rendering the interpretation absurd.. :)

Thank you for the spot on clarification in typical lawyer's rhetoric.

I find it sometimes difficult to reverse cars with heavy tint on their back windows. Doesn't that constitute a "significant" modification? Lawyers always keep room for further and extended arguments. Don't they? :mosking:

Btw I have come across several similar Acts where some of the terms are not even complying with the law of natural justice. No wonder, for we had a number of top lawyers as lawmakers in the past, they must have left room in the Acts for further arguments as a service to their own fraternity. No offence to lawyers btw :speechless-smiley-004:

The same thing happened to me at Moratuwa. In my case, I told them that the car has a factory fitted tint (after which they inspeted it closely) and concluded that it really was when actually it is a sticker (which has a very light tint). I should remember the Navy thing next time.

Ah... indirect benefits of having a Lancer... :) nice idea btw.

I too had all windows tinted full dark, it felt like got in to a cave when inside the car. very nice during the day but extremely difficult to drive at night. Couldn't see side mirrors, reversing was next to impossible. Then i got caught, no trouble but asked to remove only the front two Tints. Removed them and redid a light tint couple of days later. Since then no cop trouble at all.. even went to a police station with the tint.

Anyways I believe it all depends on the situation, the cop and your negotiation skills in a situations like OP have faced.