• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2008 Kia Sorento

Newbi

Question

Hi, I am looking at buying a 2008 4WD, Diesel low mileage Kia Sorrento. The 4WD is not much concern as i do not intend in doing any offroading. The budget, mileage, fuel efficiency and YOM is important. The mechanic tells me after 100,000 km the engine and gearbox start giving trouble.

Further to this any opinions about the Hyundai Santa fe 2WD 2007 model?

Which is more fuel efficient .... The Kia Sorrento or Hyundai Santa Fe ( Both Diesel )

Any advice,

Thanks

5 answers to this question

In 2008 the sorrento offered was an old model which was designed before the glory days of Korean vehicles started.

The 2007 Santafe is in par with the 2010 model(current) sorrento,

and there is a complete difference to that.

The 2.5L engine in the sorento is less powerful and less fuel efficient than the 2.2L santafe,

But high power from small engine may take some tall in the engine life, but not like the R-engines which where criticized for this.

Yes unlike Japanese Korean engines start trouble at lower mileges, with that said you can't buy a Prado VX for the price of the Santafe 2008.

We have been happy owners of a santafe and I have commented on it in other topics and don't need to repeat it,

All in all The santafe is the best choise than the old sorrento.(go for a 4WD, manual, than 2WD shiftronic)

But if you'r into "old thinking old possibilities" you might as well go for a 2007 montero sport

But if you'r into "old thinking old possibilities" you might as well go for a 2007 montero sport

Old thinking or new thinking, old possibilities or new possibilities the fact is that the monty sport has much better ground clearence than the Koreans and is a much better performer off road than the koreans, personal experience. :)

@Newbi,

If off roading even a few times an year is not your thing then why would you need a monty or even a 4WD???? :action-smiley-012: , also if what you want is comfort and a spacious vehicle to run in the city and a few trips out why even go for a SUV or crossover???? :action-smiley-012: Unless you want it to double-up as a "show piece" too :) , but having a Sorrento for a show piece????? :action-smiley-012:

Have you thought of the Nissan Teana/Cefiro? Very comfortable, spacious, smooth and quite powerful too with Nissan reliabilty and well worth the money, a 2006-08 should be around 3 - 3.5 max (or even less if you are lucky!!). A black one with a flag mount on the side would give it more of a "show piece" effect than a Sorrento!!! :D. Unless of course you hope to be hauling 7 people most of the time!

Edited by CJ5

Old thinking or new thinking, old possibilities or new possibilities the fact is that the monty sport has much better ground clearence than the Koreans and is a much better performer off road than the koreans, personal experience. :)

I'm a fan of the montero sport, and we have both the vehicles.

What I was telling is that it is two different styles,

The hyundai is a modern design with the VGT giving smooth torque for the whole range,

and if he want's a more rugged Suv there is no point going for the sorrento(2008), he should go for a Sport

Hi,

thank you all for your advice. If my budget allowed I would love to go for the Montero sports, Discovery, Prado ..the choice would be limitless but alas that is not possible. \

The Teana would have been a possibility if it was a diesel; I have constraints on how much i spend on fuel. I was using a Toyota Verossa. Lovely car; plenty of space, a nice 6 cylinders under the hood and rear wheel drive ( had it for 7 years). I was pumping 23,000 rs a week and that was a bit too much.

Not only is my budget limited i have to think of cost of fuel, space and prefer a vehicle used sparingly.

Hence the decision to go in for a Santa fe or Sorento (leaning a lot towards Santa fe).

This is why a 2 WD or 4WD did not matter much.

on a lighter note with my criteria the best would be Hiace van..... space... diesel, price, reliability......BUT, the Wife simply won’t have it.

Once again.Thank you all.

on a lighter note with my criteria the best would be Hiace van..... space... diesel, price, reliability......BUT, the Wife simply won’t have it.

You are one lucky man to have such a great wife,

Rather than some body who tells "allapugedara man got a allion we shoud get a premio"

Go for the Santafe fuel eco dosen't change much between 2wd and 4wd but the economy is much better in the manual