• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic '93 Heating

topgear

Question

Hi guys,

I got a Honda Civic '93 stick shift with a D15B3 engine. I bought the car with a broken A/C and during the period I drove without A/C, I didn't notice any heating issues.
Then I got the A/C fixed by replacing the compressor, condensor etc. Now, the car heats up when driving slow in traffic with the A/C on or when parked with the A/C on. This too happens especially during the day when it is like 40 Celcius (I'm in Doha!) and at night, I don't notice the car heating up.
What could be the issue? This morning, I opened up the radiator cap and switched on the car and noticed froth developing. It didn't look like the bigger bubbles you get with a blown head gasket.

Please advice what could be the issue and what I should check next.

Thank You!

18 answers to this question

Hi guys,

I got a Honda Civic '93 stick shift with a D15B3 engine. I bought the car with a broken A/C and during the period I drove without A/C, I didn't notice any heating issues.

Then I got the A/C fixed by replacing the compressor, condensor etc. Now, the car heats up when driving slow in traffic with the A/C on or when parked with the A/C on. This too happens especially during the day when it is like 40 Celcius (I'm in Doha!) and at night, I don't notice the car heating up.

What could be the issue? This morning, I opened up the radiator cap and switched on the car and noticed froth developing. It didn't look like the bigger bubbles you get with a blown head gasket.

Please advice what could be the issue and what I should check next.

Thank You!

Your radiator lines could be clogged partially/

Ive faced the similar situation in my car sometime back (d15b3-M/T). As most suggested clean the radiator first. (If your radiator is badly clogged , simple flushing wont help). check the simple things first and if everything is working correctly, blown head gasket is also a possibility! .(In my case had to put a new gasket and ultimately replaced the radiator as well. )

Thanks for the advice guys. Just blew a radiator hose today, :-/ My mechanic here suggests replacing the gasket but its a bit of a costly affair here. Costs approx the equivalent of Rs.52000 here. I think I'm going to find a place to have the radiator flushed.
Btw, could you please tell me where to buy angel eye headlamps in Sri Lanka? Got a friend coming here on the 30th and look forward to getting em down. If angel eyes are hard to find, even the standard crystal lamps would do. And please let me know how much they may cost.
I'd also like to know the how much the gasket and repair kit would cost in Sri Lanka..

Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice guys. Just blew a radiator hose today, :-/ My mechanic here suggests replacing the gasket but its a bit of a costly affair here. Costs approx the equivalent of Rs.52000 here. I think I'm going to find a place to have the radiator flushed.

Btw, could you please tell me where to buy angel eye headlamps in Sri Lanka? Got a friend coming here on the 30th and look forward to getting em down. If angel eyes are hard to find, even the standard crystal lamps would do. And please let me know how much they may cost.

I'd also like to know the how much the gasket and repair kit would cost in Sri Lanka..

Thanks again!

If you problem is due to a fracture in the gasket then no matter what you clean it would not solve your problem. During my days living in Doha we used to buy Honda parts from Unipart Store at very reasonable rates. I do not know if it is still the same. Does the cost indicated above include seating valves and replacing valve guides? If so it is reasonable. In fact the practice those days was to get the valve job done from Mazda workshop regardless of the make of the car at a very reasonable rate.

Hi Rumesh,

Yes Uniparts is still here :-) You think that's reasonable? ok. I just got the radiator cleaned last evening. Gonna see how it goes today. If it heats up again, I'm gonna have to decide if I'm repairing or disposing of it.

Please do let me know about this crystal headlamps as I'm in love with the car! If I decide I'm gonna keep the car, I wanna start working on the aesthetics soon! ;-)

Hi Rumesh,

Yes Uniparts is still here :-) You think that's reasonable? ok. I just got the radiator cleaned last evening. Gonna see how it goes today. If it heats up again, I'm gonna have to decide if I'm repairing or disposing of it.

Please do let me know about this crystal headlamps as I'm in love with the car! If I decide I'm gonna keep the car, I wanna start working on the aesthetics soon! ;-)

Knowing the used car prices in Doha I understand your difficulty in making up your mind to spend close to QR 1,500 on a 93 model Civic. How much does the gasket cost at Uniparts? Usually the prices should be cheaper that here in SL.

Knowing the used car prices in Doha I understand your difficulty in making up your mind to spend close to QR 1,500 on a 93 model Civic. How much does the gasket cost at Uniparts? Usually the prices should be cheaper that here in SL.

Exactly! I already spent almost QR.1500 getting the AC sorted and to spend another QR.1500 again... argh! I actually didn't check at Uniparts. I just checked at the garage I go to... Maybe I should check the price of the gasket there. Still, I pray the radiator flush sorted things!!!

The radiator flush didn't work. Engine still heats up that confirms a cracked gasket. I checked at Uniparts and they had the duplicate gasket when I checked. It came up to about Rs.9800. I trust I get 10% off on that. I'll have to check on the original gasket elsewhere...

The radiator flush didn't work. Engine still heats up that confirms a cracked gasket. I checked at Uniparts and they had the duplicate gasket when I checked. It came up to about Rs.9800. I trust I get 10% off on that. I'll have to check on the original gasket elsewhere...

Unitparts had good after-market replacements for Honda. You may compare the pricing for a original one and take a decision. Whatever the gasket you replace get the head and valves checked so that yo do not have to do it again.

Gave the car for repairs. Couldn't find the original gasket so bought a complete duplicate Gasket Repair kit (inc oils seals and valve seating etc) for the equivalent of Rs.5250 + silicon and oil filter and oil. Seems like timing belt needs to be replaced too and think that comes up to around Rs.5250 too for the original. Think I might not end up spending QR1500 after all! Hope it turns out well.

Gave the car for repairs. Couldn't find the original gasket so bought a complete duplicate Gasket Repair kit (inc oils seals and valve seating etc) for the equivalent of Rs.5250 + silicon and oil filter and oil. Seems like timing belt needs to be replaced too and think that comes up to around Rs.5250 too for the original. Think I might not end up spending QR1500 after all! Hope it turns out well.

That's the way to go. Good luck. Let us know the results.

I just got back from the garage and the guy was fixing it all back. Said no cracks. Head was faced. block I have no idea. I seriously hope it turns out well or else will be a total waste of time, money and effort! Will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the advice :-)

Got the car back. It seems to be ok. rpm needle flickering a bit but I think the carb needs to be turned for that. Apart from that, doesn't seem to heat like before. Let me use it a few days and see.