• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Issues In Gdi Engine Of Mitsubishi Pajero Io

RAHU

Friends,

I'm having a Pjero io (GDI 1.8) that has done around 140,000 km for now... I'm Having following problems in the vehicle which I suspect as coming from the engine...

A huge vibration when the vehicle is slowing down... Whenever I apply breaks... It is not there in the morning but comes after driving the vehicle for some time..

Very poor acceleration... The acceleration is very poor and specially in hill roads the vehicle is not simply accelerating at all...

A huge white smoke is coming out when the car is parked for a period like 10 minutes in start... It doesn't go off until I off the engine and let it cool for a longer period...

I have recently (In last December) has done a major repair including changing plugs, cleaning injectors, throttle body, changing oil seals, cleaning the entire engine & etc etc.... The mechanic has opened the engine and has cleaned all the areas that were blocked with carbon...The mechanic is said to be a experienced one with GDI engines... (I have done this because of the above problems)... But nothing has changed... The smoking problem has solved for a short period but started again...

There is a transmission problem as well I believe that is due to auto oil....

There is a huge oil consumption too... And the oil is getting black...

Petrol consumption is similer...

Is this due to the Octane problem we are having in sri lanka???

Pls advice.....

So the smoke appeared after the major repair or even before that....Sorry i don't know about GDi engines...... But normally blown head gasket can show those symptoms....white smoke,oil reduction ,,when the vehicle get hot it looses compression resulting bad idle feels like vibrating....

• Like 1

So the smoke appeared after the major repair or even before that....Sorry i don't know about GDi engines...... But normally blown head gasket can show those symptoms....white smoke,oil reduction ,,when the vehicle get hot it looses compression resulting bad idle feels like vibrating....

Smoking was there even before that... That was one reason for me to go for the repair... As I know usually the gasket goes due to overheating of the engine result as running without water or something related to the cooling system.... I did't come across any such event where the vehicle overheat.... Is there any other causes for the blown gasket??? Thank you very much for the information....

Smoking was there even before that... That was one reason for me to go for the repair... As I know usually the gasket goes due to overheating of the engine result as running without water or something related to the cooling system.... I did't come across any such event where the vehicle overheat.... Is there any other causes for the blown gasket??? Thank you very much for the information....

Rahu check underside your engine oil cap and color of oil..if it's yellowish milky brown for sure coolant water leaks into engine...check the radiator cap too for muddy oily grease...also remove the radiator cap(fill water full) and start the engine and let it turn hot and see if bubbles keep poping up in radiator....Those are sure signs of leaking gasket

It's better if you can do a engine diagnosis at A*W first so you can exactly pin point the problem,don't start assuming and start replacing things,This can be even small as a some sensor failure...

Edited by GayanR

What you described here is the telltale signs of an engine with low compression. Didn't your mechanic test the engine compression after hearing your predicament? If not, to me he is not a mechanic but just another makabaas no matter how long his experience is. However, it is a bit strange for an engine to show low compression at 140K unless the mileage reading is wrong. See if any one of the plugs get more carbonized and fouled with oil than the rest. If so most likely you have an worn out valve guide on that cylinder. If all the plugs get equally fouled the you may have an issue with engine compression requiring a engine rebuild. But in either case just get a compression test done to confirm.

I too had a car with a 1.8GDI engine and it developed a miss accompanied by poor accelaration specially on hills and the defect was in one of the coils.( the GDI has one coil for each spark plug). So could be the vibration and lack of pulling power is a defective coil/s. Oil burning could be due to the fact that your piston rings are worn out or the bore is also gone.

Have you been changing oil (engine and transmission) at the prescribed intervals right along with the filter (engine oil) ? If you have been skipping on these its no surprise for the engine and transmission to be what you say it is now.

I too had a car with a 1.8GDI engine and it developed a miss accompanied by poor accelaration specially on hills and the defect was in one of the coils.( the GDI has one coil for each spark plug). So could be the vibration and lack of pulling power is a defective coil/s. Oil burning could be due to the fact that your piston rings are worn out or the bore is also gone.

Have you been changing oil (engine and transmission) at the prescribed intervals right along with the filter (engine oil) ? If you have been skipping on these its no surprise for the engine and transmission to be what you say it is now.

i have successfully been running my GDi for over 240,000kms without symptoms...Encountered something similar thereafter...., The symptoms do look like that of coils or valves ... Do check if there are any oil leaks into the plugs and if so ... an engine head may need to be replaced if its cracked... also do a compression test and an injector pressure test...for GDi 's it needs to have a 50 bar pressure from the injectors to ensure its smooth... Timely oil checks and oil filter replacements can actually keep the engine going good for a long time.... you might also want to check the CVT gearbox for the transmission problem... Certain gearboxes had a Repair Kit released to sort out a manufacturing defect with one of the cogs inside the CVT. Check on this and repair cos replacing with a recon gearbox may lead to the same problem later on....... Cheers

Well... Thank you very much for all the information... So I guess the first thing I should do is getting the engine tested.... Does anyone know how much they charge for the testing in A*W?? Do they test Mitsubishi??? Are there any other good places for this???

If I cannot find the problem from the testing I will try the things you guys mentioned here...

I heard that repairing the GDI unit is merely impossible or very difficult to do.... IS this coil replacing is something to do with the GDI unit??? Will the mechanic again shit with my engine???

Yes I admit that there is a problem in the regular maintenance... But Engine oil has regularly changed since the oil level going down very fast...

Thank you again for all the info friends....

don't worry too much about the GDI pump... it doesn't need a full replacement now. i got mine done about 8 months back and it's running perfectly fine. cost me around 35k to do it.

my symptoms were

miss shifting (changed the oil 2 times in short intervals and that sorted it out)

not accelerating (serviced the GDI pump and it's working fine)

i got my pump done by technodrome.. speak to dileepa on 777425123. he will help you out.

Im not sure with your specific engine but few other manufactures having issues with GDI engines. GDI is great technology but it leads to heavy carbon build up due to no gasoline going through the valves. Lexus GS350, Audi 2.0.....and few more engines have these problems.

Guys... Yesterday I took the car to United Moters and got the engine tested... They have cleared few errors in the system and that has reduced the vibration and shifting problem to some extent.... The acceleration is also a bit increased...

They told that the problem is with the petrol pump and it should be replaced... The cost for the replacement is going to be Rs. 176,000.00... I hope the fuzzo's information will help me a lot in here.... Thanks bro...

They also told not to tune up or clean injectors until I replace the pump since it may cause more reduced acceleration or vehicle may not start at all...

Is that true??? Can't I try cleaning my injectors and plugs???

They said the smoke and the oil burning could be due to under compression of the engine but they didn't check it and insisted to change the pump before anything.... They mentioned nothing about values or the gasket...

I heard a chemical to add in to my petrol tank which can clean the entire fuel system.... Will this work and clean my Pump???

Thank you very much for all the information so far and pls help me with further information...

Thanks again guys...

Guys... Yesterday I took the car to United Moters and got the engine tested... They have cleared few errors in the system and that has reduced the vibration and shifting problem to some extent.... The acceleration is also a bit increased...

They told that the problem is with the petrol pump and it should be replaced... The cost for the replacement is going to be Rs. 176,000.00... I hope the fuzzo's information will help me a lot in here.... Thanks bro...

They also told not to tune up or clean injectors until I replace the pump since it may cause more reduced acceleration or vehicle may not start at all...

They said the smoke and the oil burning could be due to under compression of the engine but they didn't check it and insisted to change the pump before anything.... They mentioned nothing about values or the gasket...

I heard a chemical to add in to my petrol tank which can clean the entire fuel system.... Will this work and clean my Pump???

Thank you very much for all the information so far and pls help me with further information...

Thanks again guys...

If they found a problem in the pump..then it should be replaced..No worth tune up and cleaning and stuff bro,you'll have to do it again.Before anything get your pump fixed.

Typical agents! Now even if the problem with the pump is solved how is it going to improve engine compression. With all their test facilities why can't they do a 2 minute test and see how bad the compression is? If you change your pump then they will ask you to rebuild your engine next. If I were you I would follow fusso's advise before trying other things simply because it sounds more logical.

Edited by Rumesh88

• 2 years later...

Thanks again guys...

You could remove and service the pump, have you changed your PCV valve. use a oil additve the next time you change engine oil n filter.(wynns products are ok)

Friends,

I'm having a Pjero io (GDI 1.8) that has done around 140,000 km for now... I'm Having following problems in the vehicle which I suspect as coming from the engine...

A huge vibration when the vehicle is slowing down... Whenever I apply breaks... It is not there in the morning but comes after driving the vehicle for some time..

Very poor acceleration... The acceleration is very poor and specially in hill roads the vehicle is not simply accelerating at all...

A huge white smoke is coming out when the car is parked for a period like 10 minutes in start... It doesn't go off until I off the engine and let it cool for a longer period...

I have recently (In last December) has done a major repair including changing plugs, cleaning injectors, throttle body, changing oil seals, cleaning the entire engine & etc etc.... The mechanic has opened the engine and has cleaned all the areas that were blocked with carbon...The mechanic is said to be a experienced one with GDI engines... (I have done this because of the above problems)... But nothing has changed... The smoking problem has solved for a short period but started again...

There is a transmission problem as well I believe that is due to auto oil....

There is a huge oil consumption too... And the oil is getting black...

Petrol consumption is similer...

Is this due to the Octane problem we are having in sri lanka???

Pls advice.....

Firstly check your spark plugs condition does it get sooty or oil, then do a compression test, replace PCV valve and do a tune up, service the GDI pump and replace fuel filters. if the rail pressure sensor is defective also you get white smoke but not so thick n whitish like an oil burn.

Edited by masoon

• 3 years later...

You need to check your PCV Valve when the smoke persist. This also can cause smoke and lose power ,maybe the valve stuck open or closed, you need to change it. Signs see inside your engine through the engine oil cap any signs of slug formed or inside the hose from the pcv valve to intake manifold any signs of oil inside. When you notice that change the valve. Then on pump d4 pump there are some fuel filter on the intake hose from tank that needs service

• 11 months later...
On 5/28/2015 at 2:04 PM, Davy said:

This thread is two years old.

Well its ok, People still check this thread coz its a source of good information. And can someone pls tell me what is meant by servicing the GDI pump? coz lot of garage people told me its impossible to fix and u have to replace it. :/

15 hours ago, Happy26 said:

Well its ok, People still check this thread coz its a source of good information. 

Sure. You will find that the post I've quoted is of someone resurrecting this thread to help OP by asking a question. I doubt he just sat there and waited for two years. It's fine to bump up old threads as long as you're doing something sensible. 

15 hours ago, Happy26 said:

And can someone pls tell me what is meant by servicing the GDI pump? coz lot of garage people told me its impossible to fix and u have to replace it. ?

Servicing referres to taking it apart and cleaning it. A similar question has been raised by you in the past. Did you read my answer? 

Edited by Davy
Added link to merged thread. Removed link to old thread.