• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Body Permit

n2rox

Well said. I know a few Legit conversions done by non shady people and the trouble they have have gone in to with customs had forced them to almost give up on the those lovely babes they imported.

On the contrary I know certain Y60s and Defenders where the vehicle came in partially dismantled and were re-assembled , with a chassis number of a discarded diesel " jeep" (pardon me for the term :))

So it's a walk on a tight rope , and if you have good connections with the Gov, guess no one's going to stop you.

think I better remain there.

Well said. I know a few Legit conversions done by non shady people and the trouble they have have gone in to with customs had forced them to almost give up on the those lovely babes they imported.

On the contrary I know certain Y60s and Defenders where the vehicle came in partially dismantled and were re-assembled , with a chassis number of a discarded diesel " jeep" (pardon me for the term :))

So it's a walk on a tight rope , and if you have good connections with the Gov, guess no one's going to stop you.

think I better remain there.

You are perfectly correct. There is the legitimate way of getting a body permit through the correct channels and there is absolutely no problem with that. The problem is that there are the unscrupulous who twist and turn the procedures, sometimes even with the connivance of some people in the RMV itself, and there are the others who are nothing but smugglers, frauds and cheats who smuggle in built up vehicles or dismantled vehicles illegally, then would go even to the extent of forging documents or substituting numbers of abandoned or destroyed vehicles, just to make big bucks the easy way, and ultimately some unsuspecting person ends up becoming the victim.

So as I said earlier if it's a body permit vehicle there hangs a big doubt that its not a genuine one like in the case of quite a lot of Minis BUT it also could be perfectly genuine and legitimate.. Because of the rackets all doubts have to be cleared before buying such a vehicle. Unless one is 100% sure of the legitimacy of such vehicles they are best avoided.

Edited by CJ5

• 7 months later...
I understand 32-, 61- and so one, but what about 325- cruiser which is also a body permit. the owner says that it can be converted to a EZ- number from the RMV are these legit?

Bit of tough question u got there buddy. as far as my knowledge permits 325- s were given for petrol vehicles converted to diesel , before the english nos came in to use. Just because the car has a 325- reg I wouldn't run from it. If I am to assume that you are referring to the J70 II Gen, it makes me a bit quesy coz I don't recall many gasoline driven one's in SL.

I understand 32-, 61- and so one, but what about 325- cruiser which is also a body permit. the owner says that it can be converted to a EZ- number from the RMV are these legit?

Unless the "owner" is a person of authority attached to the RMV don't go by what is said. A lot of people portray themselves as authorities on RMV procedures and regulations when in fact they know next to nothing. So call the RMV explain the circumstances and get the details, if the info is "clear as mud" get the call transferred to the Deputy Commissioner - Registrations and get the fact clarified.

• 4 years later...

Dear All,

Please  anyone know 2004 tsunami time giving any special imported on body permit from parliament  ?                    What would check if i going to buy body permit vehicle ? thanks..

Edited by VIRAJ88