• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Stalling While Slowing Down

weels

Hi Guys,

I own a Perodua Kelisa (YOM 2008), which I bought few months back. I have undergone her with computer assisted diagnostics when I was buying and she was clean.

Few weeks back, it has stopped while I was in traffic, when I was stopping and trying to pull at very short time intervals. This happens only once in that day and the very next day, the same incident happened twice. I was bit worried and brought the vehicle to the mechanic I used to.

His diagnosis was that the injectors might be blocked; so that I have asked him to perform an injector cleaning service. I have replaced all the three spark plugs as well as the throttle body too has been cleaned. I was a happy lad after that since the engine was so smooth after the service.

But it stuck me again y'day. I counted and there were 6times in just 10-12km distance. And also it happened once when the speed of the vehicle is about 40kmph, and the engine started again on its own. (Will that be possible?? It's an Auto Transmission car.....) I brought the vehicle to the same mechanic and now he is also puzzled about this. He checked the idling RPM and told me that there is no issue on that end. He asked me to check the battery and it was checked at the same day. The battery is keeping well and the charging mechanism was good and confirmed by the battery technician. As I told him that the when the above incident happens, even the car radio is also turned off, he is now suspecting that it might be a electric fault.

Is there anyone who had the same problem? What might be the issue? Where I might be looking for faults? (I felt like is it something related to the transmission oil, but shifting is ok, even kick down works well). Any recommended place where I am heading to resolve this? Expert advice pls.

Interesting, you mean to say the car started automatically when the engine stalled? Could be Electrical as your mechanic says or even the ECU. Had to replace the ECU on my Corolla once when it had the same kinda issue, but it didnt start on its own.

• Like 1

When you start it does the engine run at idling speed at all or does it stall?

In my Montero Sport (petrol) if the battery is disconnected and then reconnected the ECU needs to re-set itself (automatically), there is a procedure to be followed for that. Before it is able to reset if any running is attempted then it results in the same symptoms mentioned by you and even stalls while trying to idle.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick response. Well, will that be a hectic task to replace the ECU? How to be sure it s a problem of the ECU at first place? Any recommended place to go? How much will the cost be?

And the engine restart only happend once. And that time the vehcile was moving at arroung 40kmph. (Strange isn't it?) All the other times I had to restart manually.

@CJ5 - No. When it starts, it keeps on idle RPM. Which is arround 800-1000.

And the engine restart only happend once. And that time the vehcile was moving at arroung 40kmph. (Strange isn't it?) All the other times I had to restart manually.

I dont see how the engine can restart on its own since its an auto, unless it was given a jump start because of the speed you were traveling. Did the speed drop? Was there any sudden shaking / jerking when it restarted? Or was it just that you saw the rpm meter going dead and come back to life when this happened.

Not an expert but I had a similar kind of experience with both my cars. One was due to a cooked ECU, and the other due to blocked throttlebody. Since you have done the throttlebody cleanup and changed plugs, you could leave that out. Get someone to check your electric circuits before you go changing the ECU. It could be something minor like a loose connection as well (had a charging problem in my car and it turned out to be a loose connection in the alternator).

Although some your observations sound somewhat strange it could well be a loose electrical connection either at a connector or at a grounding point. I do not think you get a CEL indication and hence no point in trying to diagnose the fault through the ECU. One way to check is to keep the engine running and shake whatever accessible connections and grounding points by hand and see if the car stalls. Consider yourself lucky if you can find the fault in this manner. There is a possibility that a faulty ECU causing this problem as many has pointed out. But make sure you exhaust all other options before you decide on replacing the ECU.

Thanks for all your valuable inputs. Can anyone suggest a good electrician near Maharagama, Kottawa, Homagama or colombo sub urbes.

Go to Pala Auto Electricals. He has sorted out one of issue had in my car, even though the agents asked me to replace the alternator. :D

Thanks for all your valuable inputs. Can anyone suggest a good electrician near Maharagama, Kottawa, Homagama or colombo sub urbes.

Call sudu on 777345295. He does a superb job and located in maharagama. Anyone in maharagama knows him and is located on the Piliyandala road.

• 5 years later...