• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubishi Leaking Water Into Passenger Side Floor Problem

Hungry_Minder

Question

12 answers to this question

Hi,

My CK2 leaking water into passenger side floor when it rains and when I wash the car.

How come this happen and which parts should I check and how to fix it.

Thanks

Get inside, put all the shutters,up, close the doors, and ask someone to give it a good hosing from outside in and around the passenger side, and see from where the water is leaking, and then take it on from there.

Just my two cents for starters! :)

By now you must be having a musty smelling interior and very soon you will have a corroded floor-pan unless you attend to it ASAP.

Edited by CJ5

Hi,

My CK2 leaking water into passenger side floor when it rains and when I wash the car.

Thanks

Check the windscreen bond as well. The windscreen is glued onto the body using a flexible paste and issues with that (particularly when it is re fixed in Sri Lanka after damage to the windscreen or rust issues) water can seep in from there into the passenger side floor. If the weather strips are ok (easy to check using the method CJ5 describes) and there are no holes in the floor board, this is the most likely reason.

As uditha said this is most probably due to blocked drainage of the windscreen drainage pathway. Due to this water get collected in the gutter like space just below the windscreen and water get into the passenger compartment via Air recirculation door opening. Remove the plastic cover below the windscreen and clean the drainage line. Inspect the gutter for evidence of rust and do necessary preventive measures.

Another very likely possibility is the A/C drain hose from the cooler (which is under the glove box just above the front passenger foot well) being not connected or incorrectly connected . Some A/C repair guys forget to connect the hose or incorrectly connect the hose which leads to the water condensation from the A/C draining onto the footwell of the car. Was any A/C repair done recently????

If you don't see any water leaks from the hose test I explained in the previous post above, then the sure thing is the A/C cooler drain hose. This happened to one of my cars sometime ago.

Edited by CJ5

I think we can safely rule out the AC drain here guys... the water leak happens when its raining and when the car is being washed according to the OP, that's kind of a clear indication to say that this might not be from the AC.

Apart from the causes the others have mentioned, let me point you to another possible cause that might cause water to get into the car. When a considerable amount of water is sliding down your windscreen (when it rains, and when the car is being washed), it goes through the grill on the windscreen garnish (shown below), and the water is directed towards the fenders through a sort of "gutter", and then to the ground through a small passage.

carmainte080524-05.jpg

Pic 1: The garnish below the winscreen

carmainte080524-03.jpg

Pic 2: Garnish removed, "gutter" exposed.

carmainte080524-06.jpg

Pic 3: Close-up of the passage (the arms you see here are for the wiper mechanism)

With time, dirt, tree leaves and the sort get trapped inside this place causing it to corrode slowly. A tiny hole in this passage will result in water directly flowing into your front floor board (depending on which side the hole is). The other factor is that the fresh air vent is also located on the passenger side firewall and faces this passage direcly. There is a chance of water getting into the system from there as well.

You can inspect this at home...

1. Take off the wipers

2. Take off the garnish below the windscreen (it's fastened onto the body with plastic clips)

3. Inspect the passage for leaks.

This is just one possible cause. Hope this helps. Good luck!

• Like 2

With time, dirt, tree leaves and the sort get trapped inside this place causing it to corrode slowly. A tiny hole in this passage will result in water directly flowing into your front floor board (depending on which side the hole is). The other factor is that the fresh air vent is also located on the passenger side firewall and faces this passage direcly. There is a chance of water getting into the system from there as well.

Very good point Davy. This is an area ignored by many. I always make sure that I clean this area thoroughly every year or so and also get the bottom of the fender where water drains out cleaned with high pressure water during every service. In fact some of the servicing guys simply ignore cleaning this part.

Hungry_Minder

When you get to the root of the problem please let us all know what exactly it was! :)

Best of Luck!!!

Hi,

Thanks

As H.C explained, this happens because of the blockages of the windsheild water drain path. Happened to me also, then I cleaned it as H.C mentioned.

Most probably this must be the reason.

As uditha said this is most probably due to blocked drainage of the windscreen drainage pathway. Due to this water get collected in the gutter like space just below the windscreen and water get into the passenger compartment via Air recirculation door opening. Remove the plastic cover below the windscreen and clean the drainage line. Inspect the gutter for evidence of rust and do necessary preventive measures.

:blink: I must have gone partially blind or something, I didn't see your post machan. You've already said the exact thing I wanted to say. Guess this issue is more common than I thought it was.