• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Electricity Bill (Kill)

DVT

Guys ....

This topic is out of automotive but thought to share some info. Hope that's fine as this is applicable for everyone of us.

I was not really worried of my electricity bill until the recent proposed hikes. My bill was between 4,000 to 5000 rupees range. (about 200 units on average).

However today in the morning I was thinking that the bill is going to end up somewhere 7500 rage after prices hikes.

Also I tried to recall the items that we use on a daily basis.

Refrigerator

Washing machine ( fully automatic 7 kg) - daily used about 30 mins

One ceiling fan ( just both of us and the kid ) - whole night running and 25% of day time

about 10 CFL lights - Lit up on average 4 hours a day

Daily ironing - daily basis about 15 mins.

Rice cooker - for daily cooking

Obviously below items being used on adhoc basis

LCD TV/DVD/Laptop/desktop/blender/roller gates. (non of these are used heavily)

I have a feeling that my electricity bill for above use is little high............... or you think otherwise ?

Also share if you think of any tricks that can save the bill ............

Thanks

Edited by DVT

Wait till the new bill comes and see...I don't think you can avoid your necessities..is the house two stories?Then get two meter units...it depends on the machine wattage it doesn't matter whether you use it daily or randomly...Check the items that has the highest watt ranges..and try reducing use of those items...

If you leave your 100 watt bulb on for a period of 4 hours then you will have used 100w x 4h = 400 watt

But if you use 1200watt iron for 15 min then =1200*0.4h=480w ....just 480w for 15min compared to 4 hours...so try reducing usage of high watt machines..You don't have to sacrifice your basic needs like fan,lights and stuff.

Edited by GayanR

Wait till the new bill comes and see...I don't think you can avoid your necessities..is the house two stories?Then get two meter units...it depends on the machine wattage it doesn't matter whether you use it daily or randomly...Check the items that has the highest watt ranges..and try reducing use of those items...

If you leave your 100 watt bulb on for a period of 4 hours then you will have used 100w x 4h = 400 watt

But if you use 1200watt iron for 15 min then =1200*0.4h=480w ....just 480w for 15min compared to 4 hours...so try reducing usage of high watt machines..You don't have to sacrifice your basic needs like fan,lights and stuff.

Do we know how much of " watts" a unit(CEB meter) means pls ?

Normally the bill is calculated by kWh (kilowatt-hour) That is 1000w of usage per hour...If you use 1000w ranked rice cooker for 1 hour that is 1kwh.

Edited by GayanR

Just an idea. You can set up a solar system for lightning with LEDs for the bulbs that you light mostly. But initial cost will be bit high and you may have to spend sometimes with it to set it up if you do it on your own.

But there are companies where they set up bigger panels that will produce electricity to the main grid at at night you can consume those units you uploaded. Only the difference you will have to at the end of the month. So this costs a bit more.

These are options that you can do. But certainly, reducing the usage will help you save. :)

Thanks.

Edited by Nishan.dj

A Unit is 1 kWh (Kilowatt-hour).

If you run a 1000W electrical equipment for 1 hour, you would have consumed 1 kWh

Installing solar panels is not cost-effective. Be actively conscious about electrical equipment usage. Switching off unwanted lights (even if they are CFLs), limiting the usage of washing machine, using energy-efficient equipment (making sure the fridge doesn't waste electricity, using an energy-efficient iron, lightweight ceiling fan etc.) are the way to go.

Edited by Crosswind

Small idea...

1)Don't put any electronic devices ( TV, Radio, Home Theater, etc.. ) on standby mode. Remove power from the wall socket when you are not using it. Otherwise it will consumes more energy than we think.

2) check the refrigerator for any leakage of the cool inside.

@ DVT,

Only thing I could think of is your daily use of the Washing machine. I was compairing my equitpments at home with yours and only thing which is drastically different is the 7kg fully automatic washing maching. I use a semi automatic one which we use 2-3times a week. there could be a significant differance in power consumption there. (my average usage is abt 100-110 units per month). try reducing the frequency of use of the machine (try using every other day instead). just check the wattage of your iron. i was shocked to findout mine was a 1800watt one. since then I stopped using it daily but use twice a week. it takes some planing though. but I am not sure how practical it will be with the kid though.

one more thing on the laptop. try not plugging it to the power all the time. try draining the battery upto 20% and charging again. It will save some electricity and will extend the life of the battery. I guess there could be atleast 1 out of 10 cfl bulbs which you can find to be switched off at any given time. best way to save electricity is to save small amounts from many places.

Most talked about topic of the day!

In most of houses, the refrigerator is the real killer The consumption is around 50 units a month even for a small one and much more for a bigger one. When there were power cuts in 2002 I kept my refrigerator switched off for the whole period and used the freezer of supermarket located next door (lucky me!). Then comes ceiling fans. Better if you can use a table fan instead. There are few other practices like ironing and washing once in two days instead of everyday. If you want to reduce the bill further then you can resort to things like switching off all the lights and sleeping early and getting up late, but please be mindful of the population growth too!

• Like 2

@ DVT,

Only thing I could think of is your daily use of the Washing machine. I was compairing my equitpments at home with yours and only thing which is drastically different is the 7kg fully automatic washing maching. I use a semi automatic one which we use 2-3times a week. there could be a significant differance in power consumption there. (my average usage is abt 100-110 units per month). try reducing the frequency of use of the machine (try using every other day instead). just check the wattage of your iron. i was shocked to findout mine was a 1800watt one. since then I stopped using it daily but use twice a week. it takes some planing though. but I am not sure how practical it will be with the kid though.

one more thing on the laptop. try not plugging it to the power all the time. try draining the battery upto 20% and charging again. It will save some electricity and will extend the life of the battery. I guess there could be atleast 1 out of 10 cfl bulbs which you can find to be switched off at any given time. best way to save electricity is to save small amounts from many places.

Could be....... I guess washing machine is the power killer here as the fully automatic machine takes a longer time to complete a full cycle compared to semi..

Could be....... I guess washing machine is the power killer here as the fully automatic machine takes a longer time to complete a full cycle compared to semi..

I don't this is correct. I think fully automatic ones should save more money than semi-automatic machines. Far as i know front loaders are the most energy efficient washing machines. New ones are far more energy efficient than old ones.

I don't this is correct. I think fully automatic ones should save more money than semi-automatic machines. Far as i know front loaders are the most energy efficient washing machines. New ones are far more energy efficient than old ones.

Mine is top loader ........

Assuming that thing has a usable life of 5 years, you are still spending 7500 a month

The guarantee is for 25 years for the panels. If the panel is A Grade then it will work much longer I think. Other than the price, it is environmental friendly too.

Guys ....

This topic is out of automotive but thought to share some info. Hope that's fine as this is applicable for everyone of us.

Useful topic, but next time if you're already aware that it is "out of automotive", then perhaps open it in The Lounge rather than General Automotive, hmm?

Even top loaders should be better than semi-automatic one.

Not necessarily, most of the newer semi-autos are more efficient and older fully autos. it is all to do with the motor/morots and the energy used for drying. but in DVT's case it is the frequency not the efficiency IMO.

Members,

Today I received my April CEB electricity bill. It is commercial rates.Rupees 24.40.

Because this comes in one bill even my house I have to pay Commercial rates.

It is not increased yet. CEB will increase from MAY bill.

I have a bulk supply of 125 Amperes 3ph Copper cable, connected about 30 years ago.

I consume more than 10000 to 15000 units. Depending on number of A/C units operated.Also 8 water pumps.

At Jaela my LECO 60 Amperes 3ph. Bills are not received yet.Commercial buildings have, fitted seperate meters commercial charges.

My house has domestic rates. Separate meter.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

I have had solar panel on my estate before I got CEB power in 1990. The cost at that time was Japanese Sharp 5 amperes 12 volts. Rupees 29000.00 which I hand carried from Japan. Without 12 volt Battery.

Today there is a system that you have a solar panel and during the day it will supply to Grid.

A relative of mine imported fitted in Bambalapitiya cost was Rupees 25000/=.

Unit from German company, made in Indonesia.

He informed me it was saving only 2 units a day calculated his daily use.

I personally think it is not feasible to have solar power.

If A/C units and other motor driven equipment if you have.

There are plenty of power savers advertised in the net. I have imported number of them installed.

But there is no saving to mention.May be 10 units for entire month which is negligible.

Any members have any experience in better Electrical power saving systems like to know.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.