• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Electricity Bill (Kill)

DVT

and i have an excell file which you can calculate the old & new ceb charges. is there anw where i can upload this to forum ?

upload it to Google Drive or some other file sharing site and share the link here.

and i have an excell file which you can calculate the old & new ceb charges. is there anw where i can upload this to forum ?

Make sure you include the proposed changes during the May Day rally yesterday!!!

I have also recieved an Excel sheet with tarrif. That one was incorrect. I tried on my last month's usage putting into it & it should give the exact value I got for the last bill. But it didn't. :sad-smiley-066:

Most talked about topic of the day! In most of houses, the refrigerator is the real killer The consumption is around 50 units a month even for a small one and much more for a bigger one. When there were power cuts in 2002 I kept my refrigerator switched off for the whole period and used the freezer of supermarket located next door (lucky me!). Then comes ceiling fans. Better if you can use a table fan instead. There are few other practices like ironing and washing once in two days instead of everyday. If you want to reduce the bill further then you can resort to things like switching off all the lights and sleeping early and getting up late, but please be mindful of the population growth too!

You are correct. If we switch off the refrigirator during the night time(8 hours avarage), we will be able to save arround 30 KWh per month. Also regarding the ceiling fans, better to use table fans/wallmounted fans which consumes less power(40 watt approx) than ceiling fans(70 watts approx). Much better as it has got a timer so that we can put the fan on for may be 1 or 2 hours until we fall asleep. Also ironning clothes on weekly basis will make a big impact on electricity bill.

Its funny how the sell these new LED bulbs saying its going to last you 20 years or something like that, and they only give you a warranty for about 2.

• Like 1

You are correct. If we switch off the refrigirator during the night time(8 hours avarage), we will be able to save arround 30 KWh per month. Also regarding the ceiling fans, better to use table fans/wallmounted fans which consumes less power(40 watt approx) than ceiling fans(70 watts approx). Much better as it has got a timer so that we can put the fan on for may be 1 or 2 hours until we fall asleep. Also ironning clothes on weekly basis will make a big impact on electricity bill.

IMO the performance of your refrigerator is going to be impacted negatively in the long run if you switch it off in this manner. Also does it make sense AS it automatically cut off the power when the temperate inside reaches a set level.

• Like 3

Never do that.It causes the refrigerator to build up hard ice in the cooling system and ruin everything doing more damage...It is more effficiant to keep it on all the time as it cut's itself off automatically..If you randomly keep switching it off the motor will work hard all the time to achieve -temps from room temp....

• Like 1

Never do that.It causes the refrigerator to build up hard ice in the cooling system and ruin everything doing more damage...It is more effficiant to keep it on all the time as it cut's itself off automatically..If you randomly keep switching it off the motor will work hard all the time to achieve -temps from room temp....

Thanks for the advise GayanR.

But, i'm using my one in that manner for almost 5 years now. Nothing bad happened yet. you said that this will build up hard ice on the cooling system, you mean to say that inside the fridge? Other thing is i'm switching it off during the night time only since nobody will open doors during that time. Cool will be held up to certain extend.

But, i'm using my one in that manner for almost 5 years now. Nothing bad happened yet. you said that this will build up hard ice on the cooling system, you mean to say that inside the fridge? Other thing is i'm switching it off during the night time only since nobody will open doors during that time. Cool will be held up to certain extend.

Hi speedy May be it depends on the brand...when you turn off the refrigerator the cooling lines(inside the fridge ,behind plastic covers) build up moisture and it turn into water,it normally get drain into the water collecting basket,but when you turn it on after a while the water vapor on lines can turn into hard ice.In the long run if this pattern continues mechanical(thermostat and coil pack) and ventilation holes can get blocked from ice...just remove the plastic plate behind your defrezzer. If you have a failing thermostat you can see ton of hard ice covering the mechanism...

It won't make much of a difference. As others have pointed out, it will turn itself off when it reaches your set temperature. If it does not lose coolness at night then it anyway will be switched off more. Note that when you switch it on again it will work longer than usual making up for the time you switched it off.

It's much better to set the internal temperature at an optimum level. Just enough to keep things cool :)

Its funny how the sell these new LED bulbs saying its going to last you 20 years or something like that, and they only give you a warranty for about 2.

How are the LED bulbs compared to CFLs when it comes to light output?

How are the LED bulbs compared to CFLs when it comes to light output?

Magnum,

I use more than 25 LED BULBS build by me. They definitely give better bright light for their wattage.

It was very high some months back today the cost have come down.

10 Watts bulb can be build for around 750/= Rupees.Some of the same single driver's can have three 10 watts bulbs.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

The confusion comes from the fact that the very lighting element in a LED lamp is a solid state device compared to that in a incandescent or a CFL lamp, and thus is expected to have a very long life span like 20 years. However, there is an electronic part to drive the LED. This electronic part is subjected to all sorts of electrical stresses such as lightning, noise, spikes etc during its operational life and as a result is vulnerable to random failures. Hence the LED lamp as a complete item comes with a 2 year warranty just like for any other electronic item.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 2

It won't make much of a difference. As others have pointed out, it will turn itself off when it reaches your set temperature. If it does not lose coolness at night then it anyway will be switched off more. Note that when you switch it on again it will work longer than usual making up for the time you switched it off.

It's much better to set the internal temperature at an optimum level. Just enough to keep things cool :)

It made difference NPP. Initially my usage was 90 - 100 KWh averagely per month even after i have fully moved onto CFL bulbs. I started to switch off the refrigirator during the night time & it came down to 70 - 80 average. This is my hands on experience. But as per GayanR said, there may be something bad with the mechanism of the fridge. I have to look at it further.

Thanks GayanR for lighting me on this.

It made difference NPP. Initially my usage was 90 - 100 KWh averagely per month even after i have fully moved onto CFL bulbs. I started to switch off the refrigirator during the night time & it came down to 70 - 80 average. This is my hands on experience. But as per GayanR said, there may be something bad with the mechanism of the fridge. I have to look at it further.

Thanks GayanR for lighting me on this.

You are right. It does make a difference. Although the compressor would have to work a bit more to get the temperature back to its setting when you switch on in the morning, the heat loss during the night is less because with the compressor off you would have less temperature difference as the inside temperature goes up. In addition you get more efficient cooling in the morning when the ambient temperature is low. The savings are more pronounced for a no-frost type unit. The downside of this measure is the degradation of food items such as meat and fish.

• Like 1

Rumesh88,

This electronic part is subjected to all sorts of electrical stresses such as lightning, noise; spikes etc during its operational life and as a result are vulnerable to random failures.

Contents of your post above are very correct. I too agree for that statement.

I like to know supposing if battery powered then what is the LED life time?

I thought of having battery when ever Grid power fails, a system to have power on existing LED bulbs in my house lighting.

With a contactor Grid power fails to take battery DC Voltage to lamps only. This can be done easily because my lighting is separated from the plugs.

When Grid power comes on the battery circuit will be disconnected instantaneously.

In my house RCCBO is connected only to three pin plug sockets and ceiling fans. Bath room water heaters are directly wired.

Solar panel will be the best. Because it is only for power failures Colombo very really have power failures.

I think only one wire will be necessary. Because negative can be the existing negative wire. Battery will be charged from a separate charger.

Most LED's have different DC voltages. Therefore have to have correct DC voltage if not they burn off.

I have fitted my vehicle reverse lamp 10 watts with a LED, had to use a small square Ferrite Toroid E core with the same winding.

What discard CFL bulb has in series to drop the voltage? For last three months it is working very well.

I am planning to do this system. What you think of this system.

Your valuable comments are welcome.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Rumesh88,

I like to know supposing if battery powered then what is the LED life time?

I thought of having battery when ever Grid power fails, a system to have power on existing LED bulbs in my house lighting.

Bath room water heaters are directly wired.

Solar panel will be the best. Because it is only for power failures Colombo very really have power failures.

I think only one wire will be necessary. Because negative can be the existing negative wire. Battery will be charged from a separate charger.

Most LED's have different DC voltages. Therefore have to have correct DC voltage if not they burn off.

I am planning to do this system. What you think of this system.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi Sylvi - Provided the LEDs are fed with their rated current and fitted with correct heat sinks they should last almost indefinitely. However, in practice target for a life of about 10 years. It is not the LED voltage that matters but the rated current. You get all sort of LEDs in the market but usually you do not find a datasheet or a device reference. Hence it is not possible to go for a reliable design unless you import the more expensive versions.

As for your plans to reduce the electricity bill with LEDs fed from a central point and on existing mains wiring, you can do it but still you need some kind of control circuit at each LED and you need to feed a DC voltage of 100V or above because otherwise the losses on the mains wiring will be significant unless of course the wiring is only a couple of meters long. If you PM your email I can send you a few schematics of constant current drives meant for LEDs on coming Monday.

BTW I got goosebumps when I read your note on the bathroom water heaters.

Hi Sylvi - Provided the LEDs are fed with their rated current and fitted with correct heat sinks they should last almost indefinitely. However, in practice target for a life of about 10 years. It is not the LED voltage that matters but the rated current. You get all sort of LEDs in the market but usually you do not find a datasheet or a device reference. Hence it is not possible to go for a reliable design unless you import the more expensive versions.

As for your plans to reduce the electricity bill with LEDs fed from a central point and on existing mains wiring, you can do it but still you need some kind of control circuit at each LED and you need to feed a DC voltage of 100V or above because otherwise the losses on the mains wiring will be significant unless of course the wiring is only a couple of meters long. If you PM your email I can send you a few schematics of constant current drives meant for LEDs on coming Monday.

BTW I got goosebumps when I read your note on the bathroom water heaters.

Rumesh88,

Thank you for your valuable advice about LEDs. Sorry for delay in reply, Last two days was very busy.

At the moment I use 10 Watts LED three in one driver, which gives a very bright light. The driver will draw same current with one or three of them.

There will be a very negligible reduction on brightness on each when connected parrol. 1 LED costs 10 Watts Rupees 350.00.Driver Rupees 350.00.

Yes about wiring you are correct. If I use thin wires there will be a voltage drop. have to use thick wires. If not as you say use high Voltage DC.

When I had solar Panel in my land I had 15 Ampere wiring with 12 volts battery a ring circuit. If not there was a voltage drop at the end point.

In the night I had a 65 Ampere automobile Alternator connected to a small 3HP Kerosene engine with a elector mechanical regulator.

I had a 1000 Watts 12 volts DC, 230 Volts AC Inverter to use for the color TV and Fans. 2 12 Volts high ampere batteries for entire night fans.

There was a friend of mine had in 1960s in Mihrigama. 230 Volts DC fans and lighting with 230 volts series 12 volts battery's bank connected series.

During the day he had a Commercial Rice mill engine driven. Which recharge Battery bank with a DC 230 volts generator. Which recharge in 4 hours.

There are 36 Volts LED Drivers available in the Pettah 1st Cross street shops. I have bought three of them the cost was Rupees 400.00.

Did not do the LED wiring yet. Try to import as you say high quality LED with 12 volts, direct from Chinese Manufacturers. I have some quotations.

But very expensive. They want minimum order 100000 LEDs for one shipment. Which is not economical unless I go for industrial manufacture.

About bath room water heaters they do not work with RCCBOs due to they getting trip as you switch on. they have a separate very good Earth.

Very soon I want to go for solar heaters for water heating. Due to this power cost Increase.

Please do Email me schematics. [email protected] or [email protected].

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

The most useful thing you can do to understand (and control) energy consumption is to buy a watt meter - just check ebay for them and make sure you get one with the square pin plug 220/240 v

They can be got for under $20.

Using this you can get an idea of how much devices actually consume. This can drastically vary depending on the manufacturer of product and the settings.

These meters include KW measuring so you can plug into something like a fridge and see what is used for a day.

Two useful things I've learned:

- LED TVs are very efficient - I use a small one for regular TV and it is as low as 9 watts!

- modern split type AC's are quite efficient. At a low setting you can easily use one for just 3 - 5 KW per day.

There are some simple things you can do to reduce energy used for cooling. For example, painting the exterior walls white will reflect sunlight and reduce the need to cool the building... etc.

• 4 months later...
Members,

Today I received my April CEB electricity bill. It is commercial rates.Rupees 24.40.

Because this comes in one bill even my house I have to pay Commercial rates.

It is not increased yet. CEB will increase from MAY bill.

I have a bulk supply of 125 Amperes 3ph Copper cable, connected about 30 years ago.

I consume more than 10000 to 15000 units. Depending on number of A/C units operated.Also 8 water pumps.

At Jaela my LECO 60 Amperes 3ph. Bills are not received yet.Commercial buildings have, fitted seperate meters commercial charges.

My house has domestic rates. Separate meter.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi Sylvi,
I want some information about Commercial Electricity Line. We rented out a building in Bambalapitiya for our business and pay around Rs.55.00 for each units of electricity; we consumed around 2200 units every month. The building owned by an individual and bills are sent under his name.
Is there any way to make our line to a Commercial one? It's a 3 phase line.

It is not very complicated. You go to the CEB area office (it is either Kirulapone or Colpitty depending on ur location in Col 04) get a form filled up and signed by the owner. Someone will visit ur premises to make sure that it is used for commercial purposes only. With this recommendation you can get ur electricity tariff converted to GP1 (ie commercial rates)and that's it.