• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Air Filters

Uditha88

Question

Hi,

> Choosing a Regular (Non-performance) air Filter.

> Big rectangular type paper filters

> Common selection is v*c

> But I used same copy kind of Korean yu*l filter for abt Rs. 1000 less tahn v*c with no performance drop or econ. drop.

> There are Malaysian filters too for about Rs. 1000 less.

Questions:

1. Is it bad to use non v*c or or "non-car makers" air filters?

2. If bad, what would b bad results?

2. What are good filter brands?

7 answers to this question

When you use a bad quality air filter, things that should normally get filtered out get in and cause a layer of dust to settle on sensors like mass air flow, inside of the tubes, throttle body etc, interfering with their function. This might even affect your detonation efficiency (depends on what the impurities are of course) particularly in dusty environments.

So rather than tying to save 500 going for a cheapo filter, always stick to Vic or the manufacturer recommended filters and you should get more life out of your components.

I recently threw away a cheapo filter accidentally fitted into my car by a service station. 5 years and it hasn't even got dirty so nobody bothered to replace it. Guess it wasn't doing much filtering.

Edited by The Don

I had CR42 diesel had a terrible acceleration issue and low pulling power and once I replaced the airfilter to genuine toyota one and there was a considerable performance improvement and there after I only used genuine ones.

But for my Honda Insight there were no difference with air filter brand because they had good pulling power. So no noticeable improvements when using originals.

Also, some of my friends are using K&N filters ordered online through web and they say it's having around 5% improvement over any other brand.

Guys .

Just FYI.

Once I failed green test and went to a place to tune the carb to get pass.

technician @ the place fixed some gadget to the engine(i think to check RPM) and another to silencer. after inspect for a while he just took off the air filter and and said go for the test now you can pass :sad-smiley-058: and change the filter later.

it got passed .

Guys .

Just FYI.

technician @ the place fixed some gadget to the engine(i think to check RPM) and another to silencer. after inspect for a while he just took off the air filter and and said go for the test now you can pass :sad-smiley-058: and change the filter later.

it got passed .

mensoft,

How old your filter what you had?

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Guys .

Just FYI.

it got passed .

A lot of old cars fail because there is too much HC content in the fumes. This is because petrol is not being burnt efficiently. They take the air filter off to let more air into the engine to increase fuel burn.

What your probably needs is a new filter (pressure cleaning air filters leads to them becoming blocked with dust though looks clean from the outside) and the carburettor either tuned or repaired.