• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying A Nissan X-Trail

dinesh_gd2003

T31 seems more of a rugged vehicle where as the T32 is kind of soft.

In someways it has gone soft...at least Nissan is still keeping its selectable 4WD system instead of the real-time systems that every other manufacturer seems to have gone with.

I liked the "boxy"-ness of the previous versions, had a rugged look to it (totally personal preference here)

Thanks iRage for the info actually my BIL is looking at T32, Diesel was promised in June 2014, most probably delivery will be later may be end of the year.

I think the new one is following in line with the CRV and gone softer so might as well go for the CRV, but he wants a diesel.

Thanks iRage for the info actually my BIL is looking at T32, Diesel was promised in June 2014, most probably delivery will be later may be end of the year.

I think the new one is following in line with the CRV and gone softer so might as well go for the CRV, but he wants a diesel.

Saw an Aus review (courtesy of Google who thought I would like it because I wrote X-Trail) which said there will be a diesel in the third quarter of 2013. I guess end of June would be the transition in to the 3rd quarter :)

http://www.caradvice.com.au/271624/2014-nissan-x-trail-pricing-and-specifications/

Not sure if a JDM diesel release would be around the same time.

Personally I would go for the T31 although the T32 has more tech "under the hood and behind the wheels" and more bells and whistles :)

• 4 years later...

Hi People.

I am currently looking for a T30 series. Wanted to know what are the exact issues to be expected with the vehicle. (if any) I searched the forums but couldn't find any specific issues mentioned other than vague comments. :huh:

Also what are the things to look at specifically when buying one. Everyone says to buy one which is well maintained :unsure:

Thanks..

Edited by Bhanu666
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

It's a good car, but must be maintained properly. The auto box is a CVT.

T30 started in 2000 as the 1st gen, up to 2003 they fitted with conventional auto box, then they start using CVT.

Nissan CVT boxes are common in faults (even if you maintain them with recommended specs) would recommend to stay away from them.

lots of plastic so check for cracks or damage, cloth trim pretty cheap quality so check for rips, i have seen few with dislocated seats cushions.

chain driven QR20 or QR25 engine, look for chain noise at idle, expensive to replace if it kaput.

if you checking the 4WD model X-trail, take time to test them on a loose ground (don't forget to check "lock")

As a soft off road car X-Trail is far better than the other model in it's class so you were in the correct choice.

Good luck!

JC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john cooper said:

T30 started in 2000 as the 1st gen, up to 2003 they fitted with conventional auto box, then they start using CVT.

Nissan CVT boxes are common in faults (even if you maintain them with recommended specs) would recommend to stay away from them.

lots of plastic so check for cracks or damage, cloth trim pretty cheap quality so check for rips, i have seen few with dislocated seats cushions.

chain driven QR20 or QR25 engine, look for chain noise at idle, expensive to replace if it kaput.

if you checking the 4WD model X-trail, take time to test them on a loose ground (don't forget to check "lock")

As a soft off road car X-Trail is far better than the other model in it's class so you were in the correct choice.

Good luck!

JC

I am looking for a 4WD in early 2000s so as you said there will be no CVTs then. 

Thanks for the inputs JC 

7 hours ago, Ko0I said:

Somebody please tell me What's the average fuel consumption of T30 auto 2.5 L petrol version in Sri Lanka?

Cars in this category with this sized engine (Xtrail, RAV4, CR-V) usually did about 5 to 6 ish on average when new. The 2.0Ls were a little bit better and did closer to 6....

If you are looking at a 2.5L X Trail you are probably looking at an export model ? The JDM variants of the era did not come with a 2.5L. 

To answer your question...you are looking at a car that is 12 to 18 years old....the engine, transmission, etc would not be working optimally. Different cars wear and tear in different ways....so the fuel consumption from one car to another can vary quite drastically

Hello again,

can anyone tell me if there is a big difference in the engine, ECU,  electrics etc. when it comes to T30 manual and auto version? ( Pardon my lack of technical knowledge :rolleyes: ) 

Which is more prone to repairs and which can be repaired easily?

Thanks

The cvt at this age will be looking at a laid back retirement or will be on life support.

there will be minor changes between the two transmissions and their associated wiring+control units.

The fact remains that CVT gearboxeas suffer higher rates of failiure when compared to conventional auto boxes. 

Dont mis understand.I 'm not trying to paint a picture of a Serina here,.The T30 is a good car, just don't get one abused and driven into the ground.  ;)

Edited by Twin Turbo

5 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

The cvt at this age will be looking at a laid back retirement or will be on life support.

The T30 series DID NOT come with a CVT. It had a straight forward 4 speed automatic...sorry can't remember the exact model off the top of my head.

11 hours ago, Bhanu666 said:

can anyone tell me if there is a big difference in the engine, ECU,  electrics etc. when it comes to T30 manual and auto version? ( Pardon my lack of technical knowledge :rolleyes: ) 

No...no difference in engine;the ECU is programmed differently and obviously ANY, let it be the X Trail or any other car, AT will have a few more sensors and electronics needed to control the AT gearbox. So what you are asking is not specific to just the X Trail but most cars....

Most of the difference lies between the AWD and 2WD variants. Only thing to watch out for when buying an AWD is to check if the rear differential and transfer case (upfront by the gearbox) has been maintained. Of course there is a chance that the sensors related to the AWD system or any other electronics can go bad for a car this old irrespective of whether it is AT/MT, 2WD/AWD.

Your concerns pertain to buying any car that is old and not just related to the X Trail. So if you worry about it so much...then might I suggest you buy a newer car (even if it is smaller).

5 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

:wacko:

I've been driving one since 2016.    

TT.

Still doesn't change the fact that the T30 did not come with a CVT. It came with a conventional electronically controlled AT. The X-trail got the CVT for the first time in the T31 series which came with a JE011 CVT unit. The T31 also came with a 6spd AT for diesel variants

It could be that some markets got a CVT..but it is highly unlikely as the JDM and quite a few of the other export models only got the MT or the AT.

Edited by iRage

On 5/4/2018 at 10:51 AM, john cooper said:

Which market ? Because the JDM and many other markets only got a 4AT until the T31 came out (in 2007ish ?). Even in AUS the T30 Series II still came with an AT.

Edited by iRage

Cars in this category with this sized engine (Xtrail, RAV4, CR-V) usually did about 5 to 6 ish on average when new. The 2.0Ls were a little bit better and did closer to 6....

Thank you for the reply. From my experience usually x-trails do more than that. In this video someone has achieved about 11 kmpl with a 2.5L manual one. Actually is it possible with a T30 ? I'm just asking this question because I own a T30 model (2.5L petrol auto gear) . Currently I get about 6 to 6.5 kmpl. I used to get at least 7 kmpl and most of the time it was nearly 8. I don't notice a big difference in city and highway running, with ac or without ac. What should I do to restore its fuel economy ?

10 hours ago, iRage said:

The T30 series DID NOT come with a CVT. It had a straight forward 4 speed automatic...sorry can't remember the exact model off the top of my head.

No...no difference in engine;the ECU is programmed differently and obviously ANY, let it be the X Trail or any other car, AT will have a few more sensors and electronics needed to control the AT gearbox. So what you are asking is not specific to just the X Trail but most cars....

Most of the difference lies between the AWD and 2WD variants. Only thing to watch out for when buying an AWD is to check if the rear differential and transfer case (upfront by the gearbox) has been maintained. Of course there is a chance that the sensors related to the AWD system or any other electronics can go bad for a car this old irrespective of whether it is AT/MT, 2WD/AWD.

Your concerns pertain to buying any car that is old and not just related to the X Trail. So if you worry about it so much...then might I suggest you buy a newer car (even if it is smaller).

I thought T30 is part time 4WD, not AWD? 

I am looking at 2000-2003 era. Since the car is  15++yrs old now I am bit reluctant to go for a auto. anyway JC had mentioned above these cars have conventional auto box, so guess those wont be troublesome as CVT? 

Things which push me against a manual is the worry of finding parts. Since there aren't a lot of manuals and I've been told parts are hard to find. So it would be great if you guys can help on deciding ...

2 hours ago, Ko0I said:

Thank you for the reply. From my experience usually x-trails do more than that. In this video someone has achieved about 11 kmpl with a 2.5L manual one. Actually is it possible with a T30 ? I'm just asking this question because I own a T30 model (2.5L petrol auto gear) . Currently I get about 6 to 6.5 kmpl. I used to get at least 7 kmpl and most of the time it was nearly 8. I don't notice a big difference in city and highway running, with ac or without ac. What should I do to restore its fuel economy ?

Interesting....the 2.4L CR-Vs and RAV4s typically get around 6 on average in pure city driving, so wouldn't have imagined the XTrail to be that far off. In fact I still believe for vehicles in this category you are looking at an average of about 5-6 on AVERAGE. On average being..yes there would be instances the car would do nearly 8 and then nearly 6 or even 10. 

....the 2.0L older variants seemed to do a bit better. I used to use a X-Trail T30 on a long term basis and have quite a few friends who had 2.0L variants of the X Trail and that too did about 7 on average on a good day, but his was in Japan and Africa.  The ones I know who had the 2.5 T31 pretty much said the same thing...the 2.0L T31s are actually bit worst because the engine is a bit too under powered for that heavy body.

On the highway/open-road-driving my T30 did close to about 10ish...on the other hand the 2.4L RAV4 did close to 11-12ish...

Also, you really can't compare AUS/NZ driving with SL driving....can't even compare Japan driving with SL. We owned our RAV4 in Japan and it did between 7 to 8 during pure city driving. The same car in SL does around 6 on average. Again..if my dad uses it for a long time it averages about 7 because he usually drives during lesser traffic.

Edited by iRage

2 minutes ago, Bhanu666 said:

I thought T30 is part time 4WD, not AWD? 

I am looking at 2000-2003 era. Since the car is  15++yrs old now I am bit reluctant to go for a auto. anyway JC had mentioned above these cars have conventional auto box, so guess those wont be troublesome as CVT? 

Things which push me against a manual is the worry of finding parts. Since there aren't a lot of manuals and I've been told parts are hard to find. So it would be great if you guys can help on deciding ...

Part time 4WD is a system similar to the old school Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, Hiluxes, etc....

Vehicles in this category (crossovers) for the most part are AWD/Full-Time 4WD/On-demand 4WD/Real-time 4WD/etc...

The X-trail has a multimode AWD system (or a multi-mode 4WD system). You can leave it on AUTO, lock it on 2WD or switch it to AWD/4WD (which acts again in multiple modes....is full-time AWD up to a certain point and becomes on-demand at another point)

All the T30 XTrails came with AT in Japan and Asia (and seems to be the case in AUS, UK and continental Africa)...not just between 2000-2003. If there was a CVT T30 in some regions I have yet to see one. In fact even searched the web for a T30 with a CVT and came up with none. So no idea why there are to people saying there are T30 CVTs....it is the T31 that came with the CVT. 

Personally I would go for the Series II (facelift after 2003) as it got a few engine and suspension upgrades.

Like I aid..you are worrying about issues tat will be there even if you bought a different car. Not specific to the XTrail. An old AT transmission is not a death trap or a mystical box....there are people who do a pretty good job at rebuilding AT units (granted most of the new baases would say replace it because it is easier for them and still can charge you an arm and a foot with lesser work).

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, iRage said:

Still doesn't change the fact that the T30 did not come with a CVT. It came with a conventional electronically controlled AT. The X-trail got the CVT for the first time in the T31 series which came with a JE011 CVT unit. The T31 also came with a 6spd AT for diesel variants

It could be that some markets got a CVT..but it is highly unlikely as the JDM and quite a few of the other export models only got the MT or the AT.

I was wrong on T30 CVT, T30 wasen't made with a CVT box, they introduced CVT with T31 model, hats off to iRage.

regards

JC 

Edited by john cooper