• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Good Tyre Brand....!

abcjayasinghe

3 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Bridgestone has a reputation of wearing out quickly under Sri lankan conditions. Maybe these are not the original Japanese ones they are importing. However My car Had bridgestone potenza (Japan made) set of tyres which has held up nicely after 4 years. I am still keeping them as a spare in case of emergency.

Potenza is the sport versions right? Maybe this case resides only with the Ecopia series, really confusing. Lots of kei-cars come with them and you can see the heavy wear already in a 1-2 year old example.

Can't say Bridgestones are bad right off the bat, one of the biggest manufacturers of tyres in the world and they even have sponsered F1, MotoGP, LeMans 24 hours, etc.. Even my cousin who rides a CBR-600 had imported a pair of Brigestone Battlax and swears by them as the best in the business.

3 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Potenza is the sport versions right? Maybe this case resides only with the Ecopia series, really confusing. Lots of kei-cars come with them and you can see the heavy wear already in a 1-2 year old example.

Can't say Bridgestones are bad right off the bat, one of the biggest manufacturers of tyres in the world and they even have sponsered F1, MotoGP, LeMans 24 hours, etc.. Even my cousin who rides a CBR-600 had imported a pair of Brigestone Battlax and swears by them as the best in the business.

Yes. Potenza is their top of the line performance tyres. when I was tire hunting for my lancer Autodrome (The agent for Bridgestone in SL) confirmed that they do not bring down the Japanese versions due to higher cost involved. So typically you will find only Thai versions in SL. However the Potenza's they have are of Japanese versions. I did not go with them due to unbearable cost involved hence settled with Nankang NS20 sport tyres.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 6:37 AM, K.o.N.o.S said:

Bridgestone has a reputation of wearing out quickly under Sri lankan conditions. Maybe these are not the original Japanese ones they are importing. However My car Had bridgestone potenza (Japan made) set of tyres which has held up nicely after 4 years. I am still keeping them as a spare in case of emergency.

Anybody experienced the same with stock Dunlops that come with Honda?? 
The tyre guy at S#n R#se Auto Spa (Kandy) says   it’s something common with stock Dunlops.

I have a set of Dunlop sp sport 2030 that came with my Honda. Done 38k on them. I check tyre pressure frequently enough and keep it at 34psi. But, sides are worn out equally on all 4 tyres with about 25% of center tread remaining. (Tyres manufactured in 2017)

On 1/4/2020 at 1:51 PM, K.o.N.o.S said:

Yes. Potenza is their top of the line performance tyres. when I was tire hunting for my lancer Autodrome (The agent for Bridgestone in SL) confirmed that they do not bring down the Japanese versions due to higher cost involved. So typically you will find only Thai versions in SL. However the Potenza's they have are of Japanese versions. I did not go with them due to unbearable cost involved hence settled with Nankang NS20 sport tyres.

Aren't those the Malaysian made Turanza's?

15 hours ago, abcjayasinghe said:

Anybody experienced the same with stock Dunlops that come with Honda?? 
The tyre guy at S#n R#se Auto Spa (Kandy) says   it’s something common with stock Dunlops.

I have a set of Dunlop sp sport 2030 that came with my Honda. Done 38k on them. I check tyre pressure frequently enough and keep it at 34psi. But, sides are worn out equally on all 4 tyres with about 25% of center tread remaining. (Tyres manufactured in 2017)

My wife's car had issues with the stock Dunlops on her Honda. Basically the sidewalls seem not as strong and cause wear on both sides of the tyre while the middle was ok. This rendered the tyres unusable earlier than necessary. The problem isn't just the tyres. In SL tyre shops do not inflate tyres to their recommended tyre pressures supposedly for comfort reasons and this is probably the biggest contributor, not  the tyre itself. 

So I think Dunlops are fine, just run the pressures the manufacturer recommends (its on the driver side door column). 

• 3 weeks later...

Now, my tires are in their last breath...Will be able to cope for another 2-3 months. Currently I have Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 185/65 R15 (Thailand made) installed by the previous owner. They had done well over 60,000kms by now (1st set after the original Goodyears) So I cannot comment on how they performed when they were new. My mind is moving between the same model and the Dunlop Veuro VE302, but with the factory recommended larger balloon size version (195/65 R15). I couldn't find much details about the Veuro 302, but most say they are made for less noise and better comfort. Still I can get a Japanese made Dunlop one with a price closer to that of the Bridgestone. I want to know about the durability of the Veuro. Having heard about shorter lifespan of Dunlop tires, a bit hesitant to go for one, but at least 40,000km lifetime is expected. Can someone share their experience on the Veuro by Dunlop?

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Dee Jay said:

Guys, could you please share your experience with run-flat tyres.. Do they differ in comfort and road noise from non run-flat tyres?

A friend mine got Pirelli run flats, he said there was a noticeable drop in comfort. I think those have harder sidewalls

34 minutes ago, GayanR said:

dunlop is ugly as........

You mean the run-flats?

18 minutes ago, Magnum said:

A friend mine got Pirelli run flats, he said there was a noticeable drop in comfort. I think those have harder sidewalls

Even I got the same.. and the road noise is very high.. when going on non-carpeted roads or on carpeted roads where there are slight imperfections in the carpet; like patched up pot holes, uneven surfaces etc. at speeds between 50 to 70kmph a very loud noise comes like metal hitting the road :(

I was wondering if it is anything to do with the run-flat option or is it how Pirelli tyres are in general..

Edited by Dee Jay

On 8/14/2020 at 9:48 PM, Dee Jay said:

You mean the run-flats?

Even I got the same.. and the road noise is very high.. when going on non-carpeted roads or on carpeted roads where there are slight imperfections in the carpet; like patched up pot holes, uneven surfaces etc. at speeds between 50 to 70kmph a very loud noise comes like metal hitting the road :(

I was wondering if it is anything to do with the run-flat option or is it how Pirelli tyres are in general..

If I'm not wrong Pirelli tyres known to be usually too soft.

15 minutes ago, Magnum said:

If I'm not wrong Pirelli tyres known to be usually too soft.

I don't have prior experience with Pirelli tyres.. and the tyres I got are run-flat.. things are pretty quiet when driving on well paved roads and the highways though..

That's why I wanted to see if it is the usual case with run-flat tyres..

Edited by Dee Jay

• 5 months later...
15 hours ago, Quiet said:

Any one has experience of General Tyre's. The dealer said they were from France and cost wise its 50K for 255/35 19.

No personal experience but I've heard good thing about general. But my question is does the tire says its "Made in France"?

The reason to ask that is because I bought a tire set brand Falken tires and they were "Made in Thailand" which I'm not very happy to see that vs what I see from wiki.

image.thumb.png.0697fb6dfda81a2cb4ab53d1bb13638a.png

image.thumb.png.463180182e184128cd0cf79500a732db.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi

I need to replace two tires for (Nissan Bluebird Diesel - 185/70 R14) since tire is 10 years old and one of the tire is cracked on the inner side.

Also i want to know about warranty period since two different places gave different time periods (2 Years and 5 Years).

SONAR (Taiwan) Tyre is 3 years with 60,000 kms warranty and mentions softer/comfortable than NANKANG

Any user experience with SONAR / NANKANG / KAPSEN / ROYAL BLACK / LASSA Tyre brands

Thank You.

20210705_161228.jpg

Edited by Alfa159

1. The usual life span of a tire is about 5 years. It is highly recommended not to use tires for so long

2. Changes a lot actually. On one hand the warranty period depends on the manufacturer, since the manufacturers direct presence is not there in Sri Lanka what we would get in the local market is what the manufacturer's authorized distributor for SL decides is viable for the country. In addition to that a reseller may extend that warranty either for product replacement or in most cases for service. Some tires come with thread wear guarantees....but it is nearly impossible to get them replaced under warranty and is totally dependant on how much your tire servie guy loves you (even then the most you would get is a discount on a new set as they will say it is because you drove hard or some excuse about SL roads being bad). The warranty mostly covers manufacturing defects, which to be honest if you buy a legit brand you won't have much of (uness you buy a really old set that has been sitting on/in a shelf/warehouse for ages. But you shouldn't have bought these in the first place. Always check YoM when buying a tire)

3. Have never used the other brand but I had NANKANG (in Sri Lanka) and HANKOOK (n Tanzania but bought in Japan) on my RAV4s. I liked the Hankooks more than the Nankangs. They both were hard rubber tires...but Nankang had slightly more road noise than the Hankook on highways. Nankang's dry grip was okay..wet surface was decent...but anything with a sheet of water...it wasn't very good..same with on gravel. I always felt that the numb Toyota stering feel was made even more numb by the feel of the tires which was very numb. Difficult to compare as the two vehicles were in two different countries, but I recall feeling more confident with the Hankooks (where I did a lot of sand and muddy track driving). If you are looking for a decent tire to drive around in the city day to day and not doing much high speed driving or in heavy rains (when you should be driving at a safe speed belowthe speed limit)..then the Nankang would be okay I suppose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, amsandun said:

Does anybody have experience with Falcon tyres?

I have been running a set of Falken tires for a little over a year now. (In my case they were made in Japan and not Thailand so things might be slightly different between the country of origin).

The tires had comparatively less road noise and comfortable than the Pirelli run flats I ran before. Wet and dry performance was good and overall I'm satisfied with it.. Overall I'm only missing the run flat option from the previous tire set.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/11/2021 at 8:50 PM, amsandun said:

Hi, Does anybody have experience with Falcon tyres? Japanese brand made in Thailand. I am on the hunt for a set of tyres for my car at the moment.

Hi! @amsandun! Did you buy the Thailand made Falken tyres? If so, how did they perform and your review about them?