• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Good Tyre Brand....!

abcjayasinghe

On 3/30/2017 at 7:24 AM, rukmaldk said:

Just addding my two cents in the hope of giving out user experiences with tyres :

I have been running a pair of Bridgestone Ecopia EP200 in my Aqua at the front which have run about 15,000kms and a pair of Dunlop Fastresponse OEM Jap tyres at the back which has seen about 61,000kms already. I maintain correct air pressure on all tyres at 30psi and do alignments at every service

My verdict - 

EP200 (Thailand) - looks worn straight from the factory with a simple tread pattern, but very soft compound and road holding is good even during slightly wet weather. Very comfortable when going over potholes with them too. However I have heard that the tyres wear out faster at around 35ks, 

Fastresponse (Japan) - Tread Still looking good after 61ks and might go all the way to 80-100ks. I am quite scared to have them at the front as they are not that sure footed as the EP200s. This is very apparent when making a U turn in a gravelly area, the car would just slip and slide without much control at full lock, and I generally drive much slower when the service guys rotate tyres.

Michelin Energy saver (UK) - looks very nice on the car, grip is very good if not excellent on asphalt, back tyres slightly goes out of line when cornering on gravelly roads when not fully loaded (maybe due to bad shocks), braking is top notch, wet weather performance for safe driving is very good (I do not do stunts), tyres absorb a lot of road imperfections, and overall very satisfied with them. Warranty is also for 60,000kms if maintained right.

Kumho Solus KH17 (Korea) - ran for 47,000kms before switching to Michelins, overall was very pleased with them, though there are stories of failures of this model of tyre. Wet weather and dry grip is fantastic, comfort is very good though bumps and imperfections are more pronounced compared to the Michelins. price was on the high side for a medium budget tyre but generally happy with them

Thanks for the detailed review of each.

If you had to choose between EP200 and Michelin Energy Saver, which would you choose? Currently using EP150 and weighing my options on what to get next.

When it comes to road noise is it wrong to say that the performance tires are a bit noisy compared to LRR or touring tires ?

I thought that the deeper grooves in performance tires are the culprits for this difference .

I had Toyo Proxes CIS as OEMs and later switched to Pirelli PZero and then to Sumitomo HTR ZIII.

The Toyos were considerably quiet and the grooves in it were not deep as either Pirelli or Sumitomo.

I am not going to comment on comfort etc, as i am running low profile tires and on most roads the life is hard and on some its downright torturous  =))

Edited by B2Spirit

16 hours ago, B2Spirit said:

When it comes to road noise is it wrong to say that the performance tires are a bit noisy compared to LRR or touring tires ?

I thought that the deeper grooves in performance tires are the culprits for this difference .

I too agree this. If you look at track only tires they are not noisy and barely has thread. Obviously cannot use on regular road. Tires with deeper grooves are generally good for wet conditions even though some bit noisy. But no where closer to A/T or M/T tires.

It would be much better to looks at the specs (numbers on the tire) to decide what tire should be good for the money. With my experience I could not find too much difference between Hankook, Bridgeston, Micheline, etc.. For the money I like Hankook and using it in KE72 for long time.

Even in US market Hankook has a fair market. I see Nissan pickups like Frontier in US market comes with Hankook Dyna Pro tires stock. 

Anyways just wanted to say even though tires like Hankook are cheaper and does not mean they are bad. Also I believe there is nothing like best tire for all conditions. Eg a tire that best perform on dry road doesn't do good on a wet road.

Please correct me if i'm wrong. I just told what I think.

KMeeg.

PS - 

Additional info;

In other markets like in US, people generally select between few aspects other than rim side, width & hieght.

1  Tire category - Summer , Winter, All season, Performance, Touring

2 Millage warranty by manufacturer - eg 40k mile , 50k miles, 70k miles, etc

3 Speed rating - upto 100mph , upto 130mph, upto 160mph, etc

4 Load range - measured by class SL, XL, C, E (many suv ppl looking for A/T tires try to get E tires)

5 Side wall - Black , white, embosed, etc..

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So in my previous presea I used bridgestone and it gave a heavy road noise as and wore out quickly like in 12k km's.. so im wondering how did that happen? is it because its not the japanease bridgestone? 

anyway now im confused as to what to use for this car.. should i go for jap only tyre or a thaiwan/ chinese made bridgestone, goodyear, nankang etc.? 

1 hour ago, tilvin said:

What about sumitomo tyres from Vadivetkarasan (I think Pettah)....????

first time hearing the name :D and a tyre shop owner said SL don't import japanease bridgestone tyres anymore as it is high in price and not getting sold, so all the bridgestones in SL are taiwan stuff.. is this true?

Edited by PreseaLover

43 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

first time hearing the name :D and a tyre shop owner said SL don't import japanease bridgestone tyres anymore as it is high in price and not getting sold, so all the bridgestones in SL are taiwan stuff.. is this true?

Check with the agent "Aut#drome" at Union Place. They will have Japanese ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

first time hearing the name :D

2 months back I called Vadivetkarasan shop. They said that they have Sumitomo in stock. I forgot the price they mentioned....?. Just check them tomorrow and see. That is Japanese tyre. Don't buy Chinese or Singapore (like singa cefiro...?).

• Haha 1

Sumitomo is a Japanese brand which works together with another Japanese brand if I'm not wrong.

As far as I know the country the tyre made in doesn't affect the quality of it as long it's the same model. 

If you are looking for premium check our Pirelli, Continental and Michelin tyres. 

These brands have have a choice of sports or comfort or eco tyres.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

yeah thats the Refina and Refina F grade that came with Size 13.. the Refina L grade came with 185/70/ R14 size. In the book also it says the same wheel dimensions.. Mine is an L grade

Refina L means the grade which has Center arm rest, Foot parking brake and electronic AC system. Isn't it? I had a one 6 years back but it came with 168/80 13. Probably your one is newer than that car. 

There are few places in Malay Street, they have Japanese tyres starting from Rs. 11,000.00. Just call them and see.

6 minutes ago, Prangi said:

Refina L means the grade which has Center arm rest, Foot parking brake and electronic AC system. Isn't it? I had a one 6 years back but it came with 168/80 13. Probably your one is newer than that car. 

There are few places in Malay Street, they have Japanese tyres starting from Rs. 11,000.00. Just call them and see.

yes thats right machan.. yeah mine is a 2000 model one.. ahhh thanks will check :) 

• 5 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

Bought Nankang for the first time and comparing to Bridgestone, and Westlake there is a huge improvement.. Noise is very less in the  highway, and comfort is higher in the Nankang comparing to the other two... Realized the Bridgestone is a shitty tyre after upgrading to Nankang. 

Good choice mate! unsure what's wrong with BS's in SL?

17 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

They dont  bring down the Japanease Bridgestone to SL anymore, its the thaiwan version of Bridgestone they have nowadays! 

I use Bridgestone Potenza tyres on my car and they're one of the best tyres I've ever used. But then again, this is a performance tyre manufactured in Japan and Australia, unlike the ones in Sri Lanka. 

52 minutes ago, Davy said:

I use Bridgestone Potenza tyres on my car and they're one of the best tyres I've ever used. But then again, this is a performance tyre manufactured in Japan and Australia, unlike the ones in Sri Lanka. 

Potenza is currently one of the best or the best performance/track tyre at the moment because it shares some features of F1 tyres. On the downside I read somewhere that it isnt ideal for everyday usage as it wears out pretty quickly and excessive grip could cause problems to components attached to the wheels

11 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Potenza is currently one of the best or the best performance/track tyre at the moment because it shares some features of F1 tyres. On the downside I read somewhere that it isnt ideal for everyday usage as it wears out pretty quickly and excessive grip could cause problems to components attached to the wheels

Yeah, they grip so much that it feels like the car is on rails. As for strain on suspension, I can see that happen if these tyres were used on a daily driven economy car and driven hard. But should be a less of a concern when on performance cars. Also in my case, the car is mostly a weekender. 

Potenza Adrenaline RE003 is the exact model of tyre I have and it's one of the newer versions. I've done close to 2000km on them now. 

1 hour ago, Magnum said:

2 hours ago, Davy said:

the tyre shops guys told me that they dont bring the original bridgestone jap tyre anymore because its too pricey, so they import the taiwan one which wares off in just 10k km's.. my previous bridgestone could run only 2 services and it wore off (it was a taiwan one)